Helmet fog

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

pdxrita

Helmet fog

Post by pdxrita »

Either because I got a new helmet, or because of the seasonal change, I am now experiencing significant problems with my visor fogging up. I've read through past threads here and elsewhere and it seems like there are many options out there: CatCrap (do I want that inside of my helmet?!?:clown: ), All Kleer, Fog City, Foggy Respirator, saliva, dishwashing soap, and Lemon Pledge were all mentioned. Does anyone here have a favorite trick? I have some Nikwax that I use to keep the outside of my visor clear in the rain (works great!). Would that help with fog if I put it on the inside of my visor?

Right now, I'm cracking the visor open a bit to clear it, but I don't think I'm going to want to do that when the temperature drops a bit more.
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

catcrap is a favorite in the winter sport industry. ski, snowboarders and snowmobiler have used it forever. i know that one works. but it is one of many. it sucks but plan on trying multiple solutions. what works for one doesn't work for all.

this is a similar product.

http://www.c-clear.biz/cups.html
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
brape

Post by brape »

I don't have many problems with helmet fog, but I do fog up when I'm not moving, so I crack my visor open a little when I'm stoped and flip it back down when I'm moving. Also is it the helmet or your sunglasses/glasses fogging?
Portland_Rider
Location: Free Territory of the Pacific Northwest (Kalifornia refugee)

Repsol Moto

Post by Portland_Rider »

I don't yet seem to have a problem with fogging-up. Maybe it will happen as I ride in ever colder temps.

I have been using Repsol Moto 264gr/400ml can which is a cleaner and polisher. All it requires is a very small quick spurt to wipe down the visor. Initially, I purchased it to clean my helmets visor, on my FF helmet, as some of my home cleaning products were streaking and smearing. The can is available at Vespa of Portland for $10.

Perhaps because the product has a polishing (waxing-like) element, and it is not just a cleaner, that helps in preventing fogging up?
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

brape wrote:I don't have many problems with helmet fog, but I do fog up when I'm not moving, so I crack my visor open a little when I'm stoped and flip it back down when I'm moving.
+1. Works for me as well.
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

brape wrote:I don't have many problems with helmet fog, but I do fog up when I'm not moving, so I crack my visor open a little when I'm stoped and flip it back down when I'm moving. Also is it the helmet or your sunglasses/glasses fogging?
For the most part, my fogging only occurs when I'm sitting still as well. The problem is, most of my commute is stop and go riding, so I'm constantly having to prop open and then close the visor. It's the visor itself that is fogging - no glasses. It's only been happening in the morning, for the past week or so. Ever since I got a new helmet.
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

Is is a full face? If so, when you are having to stop and go a lot it helps to just crack the visor a little and leave it slightly open, until you are freezing your teeth off in cold weather.

Also, does it have vents? Most helmets have some sort of venting system, even my 3/4 helmet. Find out how to open your vents, that will help significantly, until very cold weather. Cold weather sucks.
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

bluebuddygirl wrote:Is is a full face? If so, when you are having to stop and go a lot it helps to just crack the visor a little and leave it slightly open, until you are freezing your teeth off in cold weather.

Also, does it have vents? Most helmets have some sort of venting system, even my 3/4 helmet. Find out how to open your vents, that will help significantly, until very cold weather. Cold weather sucks.
Yes, it's full face. It's a modular helmet. My old one was full face too, but it never fogged. I think that the new one is a more snug fit, so it's probably just enclosed enough to limit ventilation. I guess I'll just keep opening it at stoplights.

Thanks for all of the input!
brape

Post by brape »

pdxrita wrote:For the most part, my fogging only occurs when I'm sitting still as well. The problem is, most of my commute is stop and go riding, so I'm constantly having to prop open and then close the visor. It's the visor itself that is fogging - no glasses. It's only been happening in the morning, for the past week or so. Ever since I got a new helmet.
In that case I would just leave it cracked.
Coffeejunkie

Post by Coffeejunkie »

My Dealer mentioned using Fogex.
Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

http://javascoots.wordpress.com/
Irishrover

Post by Irishrover »

Fog tech wipes work great: http://fogtech.ca/buynow.htm, but I prefer a Fog City insert that I will be buying for my new helmet.
Vic

Post by Vic »

I hit Iron Pony today in search of solutions to my own very significant visor fogging problem.
I already have Cat Crap, but it does not seem up to the task when the temps are below about 50. I also never remember to apply it until I am pushing the clock anyway.
I got a FogBuster ($19.99) to try, this is a neoprene insert that you velcro inside your helmet and it deflects your warm, moist breath downward. It looks like it will fit well when I am not wearing my glasses.

I also got a Progrip light sensitive No Fog racevision lens ($24.99). This takes a bit of commitment, it adheres to the inside of your helmet shield and is not reusable/removable. I am hoping that the light sensitive part means that it might also work to help with the problem I am having with getting sunburned through my visor (yeah, natural redhead here :roll: ) as well as help with the fogging issue. These do come in clear, but my store didn't have them, I got the blue mirrored. In my house at 11pm it is a slightly smoky tint from the inside with a light blue sparkle outside. The anti fog properties appear to be a result of a roughly 1mm dead-airspace that is maintained between the insert and the inside of the visor. You apply the insert to a perfectly clean visor and then wait for 24 hours before using it, so it will be a few days before I get to test it out. I have applied this to my winter helmet, I am planning on getting a new visor for it anyway, so I will have a backup if the light sensing properties are not as good as I am hoping.
Lastly, I got a new balaclava that is wind resistant and covers the mouth and nose, I am hoping this will also help to deflect warm moist air down and deflect some cool dry air up to, in effect, "wash" the inside of my visor, similar to my woodburning stove's glass. The trick will be to "wash" the visor without drying my contact lenses onto my eyeballs or freezing my nose and causing a chronic case of the drips.
I am bound and determined to figure this problem out. I have already tried a few different helmets out:

The open face did not fog at all, but it is not so protective and very cold.
I have a ff that has a slightly pointy chinbar and that allows more air to be exchanged at my mouth, again that is good for the fogging, but cold and hard on the eyeballs, lips and teeth and my nose drips for at least a half hour after I get warmed back up again (and in this era of paranoia about cold and flu symptoms nobody believes me that it is from the cold and not a cold :roll: ).
My winter helmet fits me a little bit on the looser side and I can wear a thin liner underneath it, it has a more rounded chinbar and air does not infiltrate as much, but it fogs pretty badly, especially on cold mornings when the humidity is high.
Lastly is a modular flip face, it is my favorite helmet but it fogs terribly bad and really is intolerable. There is almost no air exchange at the bottom of the helmet (my contacts are always very happy with this helmet) and even blowing air down does not help.
My commute is either stopped or going 50-55 indicated. Riding with the visor open sucks and makes my eyes very uncomfortable.
I am trying to find a solution that does not need to be constantly reapplied (I never remember until I am running a few minutes late and on my way and taking the time to apply, wipe and buff my visor is just an annoyance I don't have time for.)
I also need something that will fit well with or without glasses and not cause additional glasses fogging (some solutions get rid of the visor fog but cause glasses fog and that does not help the situation.)
I do not want to exacerbate any other effects such as causing problems with dry eyes from air movement, drippy nose from freezing my nose for the whole ride or chapped lips in an effort to solve the problem.
My "it would be nice to have, wish list" has features like sun protection and helping with sun glare, I live west of my office and sun glare in mornings (and soon evenings) is an issue.
Naah, I am not asking for much, just perfection. :wink:
I will report back on what I find.
Cheers,
-v
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

I'm keeping an eye on this thread for good solutions to fogging on sunglasses.

I recently got a new helmet as well (Scorpion EXO 700) and while the visor is completely fog free (the pre-installed breath deflector shoots my exhales right onto my sunglasses) my sunglasses get fogged to the point where I have to remove them or ride with the visor open an inch and a half (I need to drill out a smaller detent in the closer mechanism). This pretty much makes riding unbearable in 40 degree or lower weather, which is what I have now in the mornings. As a preventive measure, I've got a new "Dark smoke" visor coming to me via fleabay, but I rather like not having to swap out visors and just use my sunglasses.

With my modular (KBC FFR) helmet, I never had any issues. It let's a lot more wind and noise in, though. Still a solid purchase after a year. The only downside is that I recently scratched the clear visor on that and I can't find a good price on a replacement clear visor. It also cracks open to just 1/4" or so of an inch, which is completely bearable with a balaclava.

Good thing that I've got a cocoon type windshield on my Concours that keeps all incoming air from reaching me. I can ride that with my visor full open, but I like my scoot for the back way to work.

A lot of it ties into the helmet's air flow and the windshield (and to an extent, rider height with the windshield). Cold weather is a fun experiment, no?
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
fobbish

Post by fobbish »

it's either called a breath guard or mouth guard, but it works wonders! Look it up!
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

fobbish wrote:it's either called a breath guard or mouth guard, but it works wonders! Look it up!
+1 Breath guards work wonders for the visor, but if you wear glasses or sunglasses, it causes some serious fog-up on them.
Vic

Post by Vic »

Lostmycage wrote:
fobbish wrote:it's either called a breath guard or mouth guard, but it works wonders! Look it up!
+1 Breath guards work wonders for the visor, but if you wear glasses or sunglasses, it causes some serious fog-up on them.
+1!
Leif

Post by Leif »

I will be watching this tread closely. I had to remove my sunglasses this morning so I could see and each time I stopped the visor fogged over unless I opened it. 21 degrees this morning and that was the worst of it.
dsmith65

Post by dsmith65 »

Check to see if your helmet manufacture makes a fog free face shield for your visor. That's what I ended up doing and it's worked great. I pop it on in the fall off in the spring, and no need to constantly reapply, wipe or anything else.
MB #2349
Irishrover

Post by Irishrover »

Lostmycage wrote:
The Fogtech wipes I mentioned above work great on any glasses as I have used myself.
Also the Progrip Vic has installed on his visor is the same as a Fog City and will work well.
kneil67@yahoo.com

Post by kneil67@yahoo.com »

i hold my breath a lights no just kidding leaving it open a crack is good
brape

Post by brape »

Lostmycage wrote:
Mine is usually ok with my glasses until I let out a sigh and it shoots all that hot air up the back of my lenses.
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

Thanks everyone for the many suggestions. I'm thinking I might try one of those stick-on inserts. It seems like the spray/wipe on stuff doesn't last very long and I don't want to have to do it every time I ride. I checked to see if they sell an anti-fog visor for my helmet and I don't see one. The breath guard things, at least the ones I saw, will not work with a modular helmet. The only other item that no one here has mentioned is the Pinlock system. Apparently, quite a few people swear by that.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

The thing about the pinlock system is that they have to make a pinlock visor for your helmet, unless they have a universal add-on version. If they do, I'm all ears (eyes?)!
Vic

Post by Vic »

I rode with the stick on thing that I mentioned above to work this morning. I was riding just during daybreak, the insert that I have is not clear, and it is supposed to be light sensitive. Apparently, it takes a few days before the light sensitivity settles down or something like that... the directions just say to give it a couple of days. It was not super dark, but riding in complete darkness with the tinted (light sensitive) version of this is probably a bad idea. I was happy with it at daybreak, but I am going to get a clear one for my new shield for riding in the dark in the mornings.

My initial impressions are that it does a very good job, the temps were around 36-38 this morning, it was not extremely humid, but these temps I usually have severe fogging. I ended up being able to leave my visor shut the entire ride and only had a very small spot just in front of my nose that had a little bit of condensation, it was definitely not in my way and did not bother me at all. We are expecting rain tonight, so the real test will come tomorrow (if I ride to work tomorrow, that is) with cold temps and high humidity.

I will also see how it does with the sun this afternoon and helping to block some of that...

I do think that the insert is very delicate and it would be very easy to scratch, because it is inside the shield, this is probably not a big deal, but something to be aware of, especially if you are swapping out shields for light conditions. I think small scratches would catch the light a lot and this would bug me to death, personally (I am one of those who can't tolerate looking through lots of scratches on lenses and such).

I put the Fog Buster in another helmet but have not had a chance to test it out yet, it fit quite well, I thought. I am concerned about how much more of a pain in the neck it will make putting my glasses on after donning my helmet and fussing with all of that... Fortunately, during the winter months my allergies calm down and I am able to wear my contacts, so this is less of an issue. :D You might consider attaching the fog buster to a balaclava instead of the helmet, I am not sure if that would work, but I suspect that with some experimentation it might work just fine for a modular helmet. I will see if I can make it work with mine.

Cheers,
-v