Who's Crashed? [Crash Reports]

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Asburyjer

Re: crash

Post by Asburyjer »

dcizzle6 wrote::cry: buddy 50cc
broad daylight
headed to RUGBY practice
riding on gravel
hit loose rocks
ate sh*t!
Hate to hear you went down; are you ok? How's the Buddy?
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

The driver who hit me never even came over to see if I was OK . She just parked on the other side of the road and waited for the police and ambulance to arrive - the police officer had to get her information for me. She had no insurance, and I cannot afford to replace my scooter AND pay off my medical bills.
Sounds like a civil lawsuit to me.... Heck, she's driving a freakin' SUV--she's got to have some money just to gas that frankenturd up!
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

dcizzle6, tanuki - did you see the form that others use to enter info about accidents? We'd all sure appreciate if you post that stuff. Hope you're both doing okay.

I believe being at fault in an injury causing accident in Washington with no insurance is both a criminal and civil offense. If you've got the info on this person, they are in deep do-do. Also, didn't your insurance include uninsured motorist? If so, you're okay. That's my strongest advice to any rider. Check with your insurance agent and be SURE you have uninsured motorist coverage. My son was hit last year by someone that ran a red light. The women actually had insurance - $25,000 maximum. His costs hit $125,000. The only thing that saved him financially was the uninsured motorist coverage on his own policy.
moniraq

Re: Scooterless in Seattle

Post by moniraq »

Tanuki wrote:The driver who hit me never even came over to see if I was OK . She just parked on the other side of the road and waited for the police and ambulance to arrive - the police officer had to get her information for me. She had no insurance, and I cannot afford to replace my scooter AND pay off my medical bills.
People suck sometimes. Sorry for you. Hope you're feeling better and that you can afford a new scoot soon.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Dooglas is correct. Here's an excerpt from the Washington State motor vehicle website:

http://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/insurance.html

I know that legal procedures can be costly and time-consuming, but if I could get a lawyer on a contingency basis, I'd sue that other driver for whatever assets he/she had, including their shoelaces and navel lint. Preferably enough to cover the legal fees, your medical bills, and the cost of replacing your scoot.

At the very least, I'd follow up with the P.D. to make sure that they throw the book at him/her.

Frankly, I think that driving without insurance, when it's not required, is foolish. Driving without insurance when it is required should be punishable by a sentence of hard labor at a salary of 25 cents a day, which would end when enough has been earned to pay for damages done.
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Post by ScooterDave »

pugbuddy wrote:
The driver who hit me never even came over to see if I was OK . She just parked on the other side of the road and waited for the police and ambulance to arrive - the police officer had to get her information for me. She had no insurance, and I cannot afford to replace my scooter AND pay off my medical bills.
Sounds like a civil lawsuit to me.... Heck, she's driving a freakin' SUV--she's got to have some money just to gas that frankenturd up!
Not all of us choose to drive tiny cars. Many of us drive very large vehicles because they are in fact, quite useful and actually fun to drive. Sometimes it is cute to get up in the morning and have the kids decide which 5.7L 4x4 Suburban they want me to drive them to school in. Just because it is not your cup of tea, do not be a hater.

It is easy to say sue the uninsured and it is easy to get a judgement. The chances of collecting are slim to none. If you get a judgement, they can easily go bankrupt and your judgement means nothing.

If someone who is riding uninsured hits me, I carry uninsured motorist coverage. Hence, I am covered. If you are not carrying uninsured motorist coverage, you might as well have no insurance cat all.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

It is easy to say sue the uninsured and it is easy to get a judgement. The chances of collecting are slim to none. If you get a judgement, they can easily go bankrupt and your judgment means nothing.
SD:

Yeah, I guess you're correct. You can violate the law, cause injury to another, then wrap yourself inside another law to avoid the consequences of your actions. So, it becomes incumbent upon potential victims within this
'Alice in Wonderland' system to buy protection from it's shortcomings. What a thoroughly asinine arrangement.

Sometimes I believe that feudal Japan had it right
mjm1374

Post by mjm1374 »

1. Buddy 150 Pamploma
2. Not sure. Afternoon
3. again not sure, the bike just slid out from under me. next time I will carry less weight and take it a bit slower
4. Minor bruising to my left hip (pretty lucky). I had a riding jacket on, helmet and gloves
5. minor scratches to the body (crash bars did their job), bust turn signal and busted headlamp.
6. So far on about $30 for replacement crhome
7. 4 years, Motorcycle license
8. YES
9. yes
10. 35 mph
11. 5 blocks
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Glad you're okay and were dressed for the ride. Doesn't take much when you turn or brake on a poor road surface such as light gravel, sand, oil or wet leaves.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

ScooterDave wrote:Not all of us choose to drive tiny cars. Many of us drive very large vehicles because they are in fact, quite useful and actually fun to drive. Sometimes it is cute to get up in the morning and have the kids decide which 5.7L 4x4 Suburban they want me to drive them to school in. Just because it is not your cup of tea, do not be a hater.
To each his own, ScooterDave. Just cuz some of us shake our heads at other people's choices, doesn't make us haters (thinkers maybe).
sc00t d09913 d09

Post by sc00t d09913 d09 »

Syd wrote: An apology could be considered an admission of guilt. The driver's probably done this before and learned their lesson.
If they've done it before and it happened a second time, then they obviously have learned nothing.
Dooglas wrote:
ScooterDave wrote:Not all of us choose to drive tiny cars. Many of us drive very large vehicles because they are in fact, quite useful and actually fun to drive. Sometimes it is cute to get up in the morning and have the kids decide which 5.7L 4x4 Suburban they want me to drive them to school in. Just because it is not your cup of tea, do not be a hater.
To each his own, ScooterDave. Just cuz some of us shake our heads at other people's choices, doesn't make us haters (thinkers maybe).
I won't whitewash it. I utterly despise those big hulking piles of crap and have nothing but contempt for the unskilled "drivers" who menace the rest of society with them.
Blame it on my roots, I showed up on a scoot....
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Not all of us choose to drive tiny cars. Many of us drive very large vehicles because they are in fact, quite useful and actually fun to drive. Sometimes it is cute to get up in the morning and have the kids decide which 5.7L 4x4 Suburban they want me to drive them to school in. Just because it is not your cup of tea, do not be a hater.
Before we get into an argument about SUVs, let me say that my only point was that she would have to have some income just to fill up that huge gas tank regularly or semi-regularly. It wasn't about the vehicle so much as her potential income.

I don't care for large SUVs or trucks in general, but I don't hold anything against anyone simply for choosing to drive them. I myself have a small SUV (98 Rav4) that I drive when not on the scooter. :)
carreybat

Post by carreybat »

1. Which Buddy (50/125) was crashed? Color?
red 125
2. Was the crash due to rider error? What time of day did it occur?
me being dumb it was at night
3. Could the crash have been avoided? What will you do differently next time?
no uturns!
4. Was the rider injured? What type of protective gear or clothing was the rider wearing?
no we were both wearing jackets and helmets
5. What was the damage to the Buddy?
little bit listed below
6. Cost of repairs, if any?
i hope not much
7. How much (weeks, months, years) riding experience does the rider have? Does the rider have a motorcycle permit, license or neither?
little over a year
8. Had the rider completed the MSF course?
yes, so i feel even stupider
9. Was the rider the scooter's owner?
yes
10. How fast was the rider going?
about 5mph
11. How far was the rider from home?
3 miles maybe less, it was right in front of my friends house.

ok, so it happened last night.i have been thinking to myself that it's been over a year and i haven't crashed yet and how great i am for doing so. well i was riding over to my friends house with my GF on the back (yeah i was riding 2 up) and i went to do a uturn and at about 5mph we went down, well i went down, my girlfriend was able to hop right off.

it was really bad since it was in front of my friends and at such a slow rate.

no real damage, i bent the front break leaver and minor scratches on my side and on the pipe cover (anyone know whee i can get one cheap?!?).

well, everything was good, the bike didn't want to start right away, it was on its side for about a min. i rode home and everything was good. i'm happy that even after that i could get up and ride it.
myras_girls

Post by myras_girls »

carreybat wrote:ok, so it happened last night.i have been thinking to myself that it's been over a year and i haven't crashed yet and how great i am for doing so.
I'm really grateful for topics like this where we can learn from each other's crashes. From time to time I start to feel really comfortable and notice I'll be getting an attitude of "hey, I haven't crashed. I'm good at this" or whatever. But then I remember all the stories I've read of people who crashed when they were feeling comfortable and maybe over-confident of their riding ability.

Sorry to hear you went down but I'm glad that it was a minor spill! Thanks for sharing your experience so I can be reminded to stay alert and and not try any maneuvers I haven't practiced in a controlled environment.
<a href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/killerbee ... b/">Killer Bees Scooter Club</a> Fort Collins, CO
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Unsolicited advice from someone who's crashed:
Never, ever think, "Hey, I haven't crashed!"
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

do you think that perhaps your girlfriend jumping off may have made you go down? Did she jump off the back? Otherwise, I can see how jumping off the side would definitely make one go down.
carreybat

Post by carreybat »

nah, i was headed down i went under the bike and she was standing above me. it was rather a funny scene. i've been teaching her little things that help me. she moves her head for curves and she also knows not to move around unless we are stopped. she has a great respect for riding (she can't wait to get her own scooter). i know it wasn't her at all.. it was me and just being stupid (turned too hard).

oh, BTW that night i hit 4000 miles. so it can happen at any time.
thehypercube

Post by thehypercube »

Black 125
No, at about 6:15PM
no, nearly unavoidable to have some dickhead in a beemer drive right into you.
4. Was the rider injured? What type of protective gear or clothing was the rider wearing?
Knee a little bashed in, some lower back pain starting to set in. Armored Jacket & Gloves, FF Helmet
broken body panels, brake lever bent, scraping, mirror bent, maybe more
no estimate yet
7. How much (weeks, months, years) riding experience does the rider have? Does the rider have a motorcycle permit, license or neither?
14 months
yes
yes
about 20mph
Roughly 5 miles
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

ericalm wrote:Unsolicited advice from someone who's crashed:
. On that same line of thought I get frustated when people say they have their first crash out of their way, as if it somehow protects them from future wrecks. Some people will go their whole life with none, others may have several. I remind myself everyday to not hold the false belief I have not crashed, so somehow I never will. I hope those with the most recent spills heal soon! :)
Last edited by peabody99 on Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ms_Kady

Post by Ms_Kady »

I've had two close calls where the bike got away from me. Total beginner's move. I was coming to a stop and as I reached for the brake with my right hand, I accidentally twisted the throttle with my palm. :shock: I have small hands, so it's taking me time to get used to. :?
ScootStevie

Post by ScootStevie »

Ms_Kady wrote:I've had two close calls where the bike got away from me. Total beginner's move. I was coming to a stop and as I reached for the brake with my right hand, I accidentally twisted the throttle with my palm. :shock: I have small hands, so it's taking me time to get used to. :?
Ohhh, careful there Ms Kady
Ms_Kady

Post by Ms_Kady »

ScootStevie wrote:
Ms_Kady wrote:I've had two close calls where the bike got away from me. Total beginner's move. I was coming to a stop and as I reached for the brake with my right hand, I accidentally twisted the throttle with my palm. :shock: I have small hands, so it's taking me time to get used to. :?
Trust me, it freaked me out! LOL... Luckily, I didn't drop the bike either time. I've only got about 50 miles of riding so far, so I've definitely still got a ways to go! :)
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Ms_Kady wrote:
ScootStevie wrote:
Trust me, it freaked me out! LOL... Luckily, I didn't drop the bike either time. I've only got about 50 miles of riding so far, so I've definitely still got a ways to go! :)
Thats actually a fairly common newbie move. You'll get used to it soon, honest :)
Ms_Kady

Post by Ms_Kady »

Kaos wrote:Thats actually a fairly common newbie move. You'll get used to it soon, honest :)
Haha...ok, whew! :)
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

The best way to break yourself of that is to roll your hand towards the brake lever and squeeze with your fingers, not your thumb. Rolling your hand towards the brake cuts the throttle. Hold your thumb down against the grip and use 2 fingers to squeeze the brake towards the thumb. If you use your thumb to squeeze, it can apply twist to the throttle. By using only 2 fingers, you reduce the tendency to over squeeze the brake lever (which can lock up the front wheel).

Practice this in a clean (no loose gravel or pebbles) parking lot. It'll make sense after a few times doing it.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
cmac

Post by cmac »

Guy blew threw a stop sign to my right today. Luckily there was a big dip in the road and I was going slow enough getting ready for the dip to quick stop before he pulled out in front of me.

The whole time I was saying in my head "you better not f*ing do it, you better not do it, you better not........ bleep bleep bleep (finger gestures)"
Ms_Kady

Post by Ms_Kady »

Lostmycage wrote:
The best way to break yourself of that is to roll your hand towards the brake lever and squeeze with your fingers, not your thumb. Rolling your hand towards the brake cuts the throttle. Hold your thumb down against the grip and use 2 fingers to squeeze the brake towards the thumb. If you use your thumb to squeeze, it can apply twist to the throttle. By using only 2 fingers, you reduce the tendency to over squeeze the brake lever (which can lock up the front wheel).

Practice this in a clean (no loose gravel or pebbles) parking lot. It'll make sense after a few times doing it.
Thanks! I'll practice that. :)

I think I need to find some gloves that fit my hand better. Right now, I'm using a pair of leather driving gloves that are a little too big for my hands.
Ms_Kady

Post by Ms_Kady »

cmac wrote:Guy blew threw a stop sign to my right today. Luckily there was a big dip in the road and I was going slow enough getting ready for the dip to quick stop before he pulled out in front of me.

The whole time I was saying in my head "you better not f*ing do it, you better not do it, you better not........ bleep bleep bleep (finger gestures)"
Glad you're OK! That's pretty scary! :shock:
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Lostmycage wrote:

Something I've done is just learn to release the throttle completely and "reach" around to the brake. Once you release the throttle, you won't be in danger of gunning it again, even after you grab the brake and brace the thumb on the throttle again.

It sounds very involved but it is a very quick movement. It may be more effective for you since you have such small hands.
Last edited by pugbuddy on Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

ericalm wrote:Unsolicited advice from someone who's crashed:
What's always in my mind; "It's not if I go down, it's when I go down"
My G/F told me the other day that that thought might 'scare some off of riding'
TVB

Re: Who's Crashed?

Post by TVB »

I had what I consider my first moving accident on the scooter. (The bike tipping over while parked, or falling over at 2mph doesn't count.)

Red Buddy 50

Rider error: I slipped on some wet leaves going around a corner. (The city of East Grand Rapids is also at fault, for encouraging residents to blow fallen leaves into the street for eventual removal by the city, but this is a long-standing gripe I have with them, which will apparently never be satisfied until someone is injured badly enough to sue them.)

Probably could've avoided it. I'll have to go even slower on turns, so I can maneuver better around leaves.

Just a little scrape on my knee (in brand new pants of course) and a couple other nicks. Might've aggravated a previously injured wrist. Wearing 3/4 helmet (untouched), armored mesh/textile jacket (a nickel-sized hole in the the textile over the elbow armor), mesh/leather gloves (no damage).

None that I saw on quick roadside inspection. The leaves apparently prevented scratches. :?

None.

About 7 months, 3800 miles. No moto endorsement.

No.

Yes.

We're not supposed to watch our speedometer in turns. :) I always take this corner pretty slowly, because it comes right after another turn, and I expect debris there. I'd guess 5-10mph. I had traffic behind me, so I didn't slow as much as I would've otherwise; I knew going into the turn that I was going faster than I wanted, but I didn't want to brake further at that point.

2 miles.
Ms_Kady

Post by Ms_Kady »

Eek! Glad you're OK TVB!
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Man I know that's annoying TVB, we have a house at the front of our road that the rain is constantly washing
sand from their yard into the street. It covers over half the entry area, and I have fallen on it once and almost
fallen a couple other times. We just have to sometimes go down there with a shovel and bucket. :?
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Glad you're okay TVB. Yeh, we are in the wet leaves season. That can be a nasty one. A quick read through this thread shows that poor traction on a curve is a major cause of crashes (probably THE major cause of single vehicle crashes). There really is no cure except to slow down and stay alert for problem spots.
TVB

Post by TVB »

KRUSTYburger wrote:We just have to sometimes go down there with a shovel and bucket. :?
I am not going to rake the streets of East GR myself. :no:
gr8dog

Post by gr8dog »

Sorry to hear about your fall TVB. I have been thinking about those leaves lately. On frosty mornings there can be frost under the leaves even though it has already melted off the tops of the leaves making a touchy situation even worse. I will do my best to avoid the leaves. I hope you are well.
VariableJ

Post by VariableJ »

1. Blue Buddy 50cc
2. Not really. Sometime before 5 o'clock rush hour.
3. I don't think so, it was a culmination of things. Go slower.
4. I have a rad road rash on my right elbow, and a little one near my left thumb, shoulder is sore, but otherwise ok, kids wearing a helmet is a must. Helmet and a my favorite corduroy jacket that came out untouched.
5. Some paint chipping, and the throttle is ragged where it hit the ground.
6. Nothing, just cover the chips with some stickers, it'll be right as rain.
7. Two weeks. Fully licensed.
8. Yes.
9. Yes.
10. Don't know, I wasn't looking at speedometer, but I had just braked for a corner and was going around, began to roll on the throttle like they teach you in MSF and the wind gusted heavily, my rear tire was in gravel, voila, crash.
11.Probably around 10 miles.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Glad you're ok, variableJ! Did your post say you had kids on the bike with you? Or is that "kids (comma), wearing a helmet is a must"? Probably the latter but it struck me as the former initially....
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

KRUSTYburger wrote:Man I know that's annoying TVB, we have a house at the front of our road that the rain is constantly washing
sand from their yard into the street. It covers over half the entry area, and I have fallen on it once and almost
fallen a couple other times. We just have to sometimes go down there with a shovel and bucket. :?
Would it be possible to talk them into some landscaping timbers or railroad ties or something to hold the sand in?
Carbolic

Post by Carbolic »

I posted this in General Discussion yesterday before seeing that there's kind of a format (list of questions) for crash descriptions. I didn't stick to the format but I think this hits all the salient points:
Well, I had my first "real" crash yesterday, not counting the time I put the scooter down on my gravel road at about 2 MPH.

I was heading to class yesterday, and it was raining. My ride to school is only about 3/4 of a mile but there's still plenty of opportunity to make a stupid mistake.

I was going downhill at about 30 mph and approaching a red light. I made a split-second decision to stop shorter than I had planned to, in order to leave an opening between myself and the car in front of me through which oncoming cars could make left turns. I've braked harder in dry conditions and been just fine, but of course the road yesterday was soaking wet.

I'm guessing I had slowed to about 15-20 MPH by the time I felt the bike sliding out from under me. I had just enough time to think "here we go," and then I was on my butt, sliding for probably 15 feet or so. Ironically, the same thing that had caused the accident (the wet road) also mitigated my injuries. I slid along the wet road surface without so much as a tear in my jeans.

When I came to a stop, I immediately grabbed the bike, which had slid along in front of me, picked it up, and started pushing it off the road. Luckily, there had been no cars behind me when I crashed. However, there was a car bearing down on me as I started pushing the scooter off the road. I could actually hear its tires sliding on the road as it tried to stop short of hitting me. I hustled and managed to push the bike out of the way just before the car would have clipped the scooter's back end.

I was lucky to walk away with a few bumps and bruises. The crash was definitely caused by my braking too hard on a wet surface, but I'm also wondering if my tires played a part. I've got a 2006 Buddy Italia with the stock whitewall Shinkos. I've read bad things about them on this site.
Here's the link to the original thread: viewtopic.php?p=173665#173665
farrellcollie

Post by farrellcollie »

not my buddy - my vespa gt200 while
yes around noon
easier acceleration from a stop in the rain
no I was searing frogg togg motorcycle pants and wearing armoured jacket and FF helmet
No damage to scoot
none
little over a year
yes,
yes
Starting from a full stop at stop sign
1 mile.

I was at a 4 way stop sign in pouring rain and we were all looking at each other to see who would go first (all had hit the stop signs at the same time) and I was waived through - accelerated too fast off the line and the scoot slid right out.
Elm Creek Smith

Post by Elm Creek Smith »

sc00t d09913 d09 wrote:I won't whitewash it. I utterly despise those big hulking piles of crap and have nothing but contempt for the unskilled "drivers" who menace the rest of society with them.
Then don't bother to flag me down in my "big hulking pile of crap" pickup truck that comes complete with everything needed to load and secure a motorscooter or motorcycle when your scooter is broken down on the side of the road. Obviously, since I have a pickup truck, I'm contemptible and not skilled enough to be able to help you.

Wait a minute...I don't wait for people to flag me down when I see a scoot broken down on the side of the road; I just stop to see if they need help. So, you'll need to let me know who you are so I don't offend you by assisting you.

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.
Yes, I wear a helmet and a FIRSTGEAR armored jacket.
No, I'm not embarrassed to be seen riding it.
Yes, that is an NRA sticker on the fender.

"I aim to misbehave."
scootermom

Post by scootermom »

Tangerine 125
Rider error, about 2:30pm
yep, look where I am going instead of at the curb.
No injury to the rider, was wearing jeans, which got a big grass stain on the knee. Also had my helmet and gloves on, but my knee was the only thing to hit the ground.
Some scrapes and scuffs to the bottom plastic and floorboard edge.
I'm not going to get that fixed, it's not that noticeable
a week's worth of experience on the Buddy, about a couple months experience on scooters. No M class permit yet, but I do have a driver's license.
not yet....taking it this weekend
yes
about 5mph
about a mile
I write about my scooter obsession here:The ScooterMom blog.

Check out myA Hot Piece of Glass Etsy shop!
broke

Post by broke »

keep your chin up ScooterMom! I hope the knee isn't too sore in the morning.

Don't worry at all about your Buddy. Mine's been dropped twice and it just keeps on scooting along. I'm glad I didn't replace the panels after my wife dropped it... it made my crash less noticeable ;-)

My wife dropped ours very similar sounding to your crash and she still complains about aches in her shoulder (over 1.5 years ago now). The worst injury in my crash was my ego!
Want and need divide me. Mekka-lekka hi mekka hiney ho!
Jonmichael

rainy

Post by Jonmichael »

i crashed yesterday at night while it was raining. i was only going about 10mph after making a complete stop and a stop sign. a guy in a honda civic ran the stop sign and i bumped into his tire and fell on his hood. i am completely fine and so is my scooter, but the mans car is damaged.
Dooglas

Re: rainy

Post by Dooglas »

Jonmichael wrote:Iam completely fine and so is my scooter, but the mans car is damaged.
Glad you are okay but I would advise you to keep observations like the one above to yourself in the future (at least until you are sure they are correct). The world of liability accidents and insurance claims is a big, ugly one that is best not shared on public websites.

So much for playing Dad. Glad you and your scooter came out of it alright. You may want to post your experience using the questions format that Eric developed. It helps other riders.
easy

Post by easy »

car v/s scooter and the scooter wins 1. Your very lucky we need to allways look and make sure all roads are clear.The right of way dont mean nothing.
Phycus Malloy

Post by Phycus Malloy »

Even though I posted this previously, it was brought to my attention that I should re-post here!

Enjoy, fleshlings!

Even though I am ALWAYS careful and mindful of my surroundings, someone finally nailed me.
What's the greatest part of this story? It was in a friggin' parking lot.
It never ceases to amaze me how human beings can't master multi tasking. This chick, we shall call her, Idioticus, was just cruising through the parking lot at about 34 mph, talking on her cell phone didn't see me in front of her and WHAM-O!!! My beloved Scoot-Scoot took a straight shot to her crankcase with the bumper of a Ford Escort.
I, of course tried to react the best I could, yelling out obscenities trying to maintain control and finally hitting pavement. For all it's worth, I stood up immediately and made sure Idioticus was ok even though she was still talking on her phone. After realizing there was no cure for stupidity, I turned to my fallen. I was impressed to see that the only "Damage" done to her was a broken left brake handle, minimal scratching and no damage to the crankcase or motor. I was able to start her up and ride her home. It's not all bad, I will repair her and repaint her. I have the technology.
I wish that I had made it out unscathed, but I had done some damage to my arm. It would have been alot worse had I not been wearing gear. But I think Idioticus will be hurting alot worse seeing as how her insurance is footing the bill for my physical therapy. I love happy endings.
Her name is Veronica. She is a fierce mistress of the surface streets. When we ride, she screams "Take it easy". I reply with "HOLY CRAP A TALKING SCOOTER!!!!!"
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

I wanted to include a link to this video in our "Crash" thread because there is great video of two different crashes that vividly illustrates just how easy it is to crash a scooter if you make a riding error and how well good gear protects you in the event. Thanks to islano who posted this on Modern Vespa.
islano on Modern Vespa wrote:Image
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

jrsjr wrote:I wanted to include a link to this video in our "Crash" thread because there is great video of two different crashes that vividly illustrates just how easy it is to crash a scooter if you make a riding error and how well good gear protects you in the event. Thanks to islano who posted this on Modern Vespa.
Wow. Great video reminder. Glad everyone was ok. You can see the sand/gravel in the first spill. Water in the second. Both hidden by the curve in the road. Whatever the cause, it always happens in an instant...

Q:
What good riding practices could have helped avoid these spills?

A:
1) Start your turns from the outside of the lane so you can see further around the corner thus spotting potential trouble earlier.
2) Treat blind corners with respect and ride as if there is imminent disaster lurking ahead.
3) When riding with a hillside on your right, remember that debris, gravel, and water fall down the hill and collect on the right side of the road, especially after rains. Then as cars travel over the debris it will be shifted/spread to either side of the cars wheel tracks and under the center of the car. I see this a lot in the canyons around here.

Any other suggestions/advise?

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |