Cold Weather Scooter Warriors

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Coffeejunkie

Post by Coffeejunkie »

KCScooterDude wrote:I will be going with heated grips/gloves. I have an HJC full face helmet with a nose mask and a Fieldsheer adventure jacket. I was toasty rinding in the 30s, but my hands and my legs were cold. L.L. Bean insulated socks kept my feet nice and warm. I need to find a solution for my legs under work (Docker-type) pants.
I tossed on my REI rain pants the other day when it was about 34 degrees to give myself an extra layer, and that really did the trick for me. Granted long distances you may want something a little more insulated, but for short distances that extra air layer makes all the difference. (Of course taking the road less traveled makes all the difference, but that's not what you were asking about.)
Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

http://javascoots.wordpress.com/
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

KCScooterDude wrote:I will be going with heated grips/gloves. I have an HJC full face helmet with a nose mask and a Fieldsheer adventure jacket. I was toasty rinding in the 30s, but my hands and my legs were cold. L.L. Bean insulated socks kept my feet nice and warm. I need to find a solution for my legs under work (Docker-type) pants.
I've been wearing snowboarding pants over my work pants this past week and my legs have been toasty warm - yesterday morning the temp was somewhere around 30 degrees. The final straw for me this season is going to be my hands, which were pretty cold yesterday. I really can't afford to drop more change on heated gloves, so alas, I will be parking it for the winter soon; maybe even this week as they're forecasting temps in the 20's.
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

I am planning to buy skiing pants, wear riding jacket under the very big snow jacket. Have not figured out what to do with gloves. I have construction style kiddie boots used as my riding boots (Can't beat a $24.00 tag ladies) that are a bit large so I can get thermal socks under those, several pairs if necessary.
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

I put my scooter away today :evil: I wasn't planning on it but I went to the gas station today (I like to keep the tank full and add sea foam to every tank during cold weather) and then went to buy another battery tender since my wifes scooter is currently using my old tender. The ride there was fine but on the way back I hit a stretch of road that was cover in spots of black ice. This was the scariest moment that I have had on the scooter yet and I think is was just dumb luck that I didn't wipe out. I couldn't believe that there was so much ice considering the roads are mostly bone dry around here. Anyway, until I get some studded tires that fit the buddy 50 or the threat of black ice goes away I think she'll sit for another winter. I really enjoy riding in the colder weather, this totaly s*cks :evil:
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
Major Redneck

Post by Major Redneck »

jasondavis48108 wrote:and then went to buy another battery tender since my wifes scooter is currently using my old tender.
i believe that all you have to do is add a jumper wire from the other batt. being charged,,, (+ to + and - to - "parallel") the charger should charge both battys the same,,, if you dont want to add a jumper the company that makes the tender also has a adapter that will connect to the tender and well charge like 4 batt.s at once,,, im not sure which model you have i have the tender plus and i know that one well do it....

i admire you guys up north that battle the weather in order to scoot,,, living in the south most my life at lease we get brakes in the weather in order to charge the batt.s and when it is cold its nothing like up north,,, my hats off to you guys and gals...

ones messing with the batt. should do two things ,,, wear protective gloves and remember eye safety...
Last edited by Major Redneck on Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scoot'in is more fun than beating up your sister, and it comes with a key!!!
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Major Redneck wrote:ones messing with the batt. should do two things ,,, wear protective gloves and remember eye safety...
And take OFF any metal jewelry. Not a fun lesson to learn the hard way.
Major Redneck

Post by Major Redneck »

Cheshire wrote:
Major Redneck wrote:ones messing with the batt. should do two things ,,, wear protective gloves and remember eye safety...
AGREE!!! when disconnecting the batt. disconnect the neg (-) first...
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Cheshire wrote:
Ohh, totally! I now have my wedding ring tattooed on because I lit myself up on an alternator through my ring. Hurt like a monkey!
TVB

Post by TVB »

Major Redneck wrote:i believe that all you have to do is add a jumper wire from the other batt. being charged,,, (+ to + and - to -) the charger should charge both battys the same,,,
Wouldn't this eliminate the tender's ability to detect when one battery or the other needs juice, but the other doesn't?
gr8dog

Post by gr8dog »

I use just one battery tender for two batteries. Every week or two I switch from one to the other. I keep the batteries in my basement so it is no inconvenience at all. When I hook them up to the camper and scooter in the spring both are fully charged.
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

The one thing you learn quick from messing with innards of the computers is that all metal jewelry comes off. I also touch anything metal to ground myself before I crack the box open. Computers have electric charge even when disconnected from the outlet or so I was told. Not just rings. I would suggest taking off bracelets and even longer necklaces . Folks often remember rings but not "neck bling".
Major Redneck

Post by Major Redneck »

TVB wrote:
Major Redneck wrote:i believe that all you have to do is add a jumper wire from the other batt. being charged,,, (+ to + and - to -) the charger should charge both battys the same,,,
Wouldn't this eliminate the tender's ability to detect when one battery or the other needs juice, but the other doesn't?
NO the tender is going to charge at 13.1 or so volts,,, instead of a small 12 volt batt. it is just looking at a larger 12 volt batt. the charge well be the same for both batt.s....

http://batterytender.com/resources/freq ... stions.htm maybe they can explane it better than i can... if you still have questions please ask....
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Finally found a fix for the cold toes thing, at least so far. Haven't tested below mid-30's yet, as I've been a wimp the past couple weeks, but I'm getting a second wind for scooter riding.

http://www.rei.com/product/789515

Rated to -40...at which Fahrenheit and Celsius are the same.
My right foot, being partially paralyzed and 90% without sensation, doesn't keep itself warm. It's something I have to be very careful about all winter. I came in from a couple-hour ride in upper 30's F and that foot was still toasty! If I'd been wearing my army boots (my standard boots), even with thick wool socks, that foot would feel like it just came out of the freezer.

First pair of shoes I've been happy with in a while. Thought I'd share. :)
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Tomorrow should be fun, high of 35, in the 20's during my morning ride. I ordered grip heaters a few days ago, but they don't get here till wednesday :(
cmac

Post by cmac »

I had to make a 35min ride to my friends house the other day so I decided to save some gas and take the stella.
It was about 43 outside, 10pm, and I had these babies on!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 2998wt_937

I was previously wearing some heavily ventilated summer gloves (live in FL) and those were killing me. But with these snowmobile gloves, oh man, its toasty in there. I haven't had any longer rides with them on but my hands were still warm when I got home. They are a little big and poofy, so riding with them took me a bit getting use to, especially with the clutch. Other than that, its the best 20 bucks ive ever spent in my life.
Coffeejunkie

Post by Coffeejunkie »

Cheshire wrote:Finally found a fix for the cold toes thing, at least so far. Haven't tested below mid-30's yet, as I've been a wimp the past couple weeks, but I'm getting a second wind for scooter riding.

My right foot, being partially paralyzed and 90% without sensation, doesn't keep itself warm. It's something I have to be very careful about all winter. I came in from a couple-hour ride in upper 30's F and that foot was still toasty! If I'd been wearing my army boots (my standard boots), even with thick wool socks, that foot would feel like it just came out of the freezer.

Man those look sweet, I may just have to get a pair for myself. Another good way to help keep the toes warm is a good pair of these http://www.rei.com/product/736314

They may looks silly, but they sure do help.

Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Coffeejunkie wrote:
Cheshire wrote:Finally found a fix for the cold toes thing, at least so far. Haven't tested below mid-30's yet, as I've been a wimp the past couple weeks, but I'm getting a second wind for scooter riding.

Man those look sweet, I may just have to get a pair for myself. Another good way to help keep the toes warm is a good pair of these http://www.rei.com/product/736314

They may looks silly, but they sure do help.
Several companies also make heated insoles to keep your feel warm :)
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Well, I set a new record for myself.
It was 14 degrees on my ride in. That beats my previous record from last season at 19 degrees....

And just for a little math fun.

14 degrees at my usual commute speed of 60mph makes it -13 degrees with wind chill. Yeah, thats about what it felt like.
bgwss

Post by bgwss »

Hard core :shock:
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

So I get off work today at around 11pm and walk out to my car (didn't ride my scoot because I value my extremities) and find it covered in ice. I know, for some of you, this is an everyday occurance around this time of year, but this is the San Francisco Bay Area for gosh sake! :shock: It was in the twenties and I could feel frostbite starting to set-in during the long 50 foot walk to my car. Had to let the car warm-up for a long time just so the defroster could melt the ice off the windshield. Ice scrapper? What the heck would I be doing with an ice scrapper in San Francisco? :roll: I think I'll go shopping for an ice scrapper tomorrow....
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Can't wait for my heated grips to show today, yesterday was 11 degrees. My gear just isn't keeping up with my ride! Though I did get a standing applause from a bunch of people in my office's lobby when they saw me heading out the door with a motorcycle helmet under my arm :)
vespatech

Post by vespatech »

snowboard pants longjohns fleece gaitor pigskin gloves t shirt and snowboarding jacket. ill stop when it dips below 5. after that the bike runs like $hitt anyway
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

vespatech wrote:snowboard pants longjohns fleece gaitor pigskin gloves t shirt and snowboarding jacket. ill stop when it dips below 5. after that the bike runs like $hitt anyway
Yeah, even with retuning my carb, mine's starting to run like crap too with the cold. Its getting really hard to start too.
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

My too long musings on my cold weather gear: http://www.examiner.com/x-3223-Detroit- ... ts--part-1

I'm not scooting this week due to a chance of snow/sleet every day. I thought that I might get a chance to ride on Friday, but the predicted wind chill (standing still!) is 0 degrees. Another high wind advisory on Friday, but mostly what we're getting in Detroit is rain and slush. Ah winter!
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Well I got my heated grips today. I was outside in the dark installing them in 18 degree weather. The right grip heats fantastically. The left one? Well, its got a bad solder. I'm going to try re-soldering it tomorrow in hopes that it will hold up. If I jump the break with a wire it heats fine, so here's hoping.
Coffeejunkie

Post by Coffeejunkie »

Temp: 33
Distance: 3.5 miles
Problem: Bah! No Problem

After the soaking we got here in the past few days I just had to take Victoria to work this morning. Granted she was not happy to be pulled out and started in this cold weather, but once we got humming down the road she started to realize it was not that cold out after all.

UnionZac

Post by UnionZac »

the needle said 25 degrees this morning before my 20 minute commute. Ugh! Santa needs to hurry it up w/that Full Face helmet.
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

14 degrees this morning, according to my Weatherpulse software. I got sick of riding the bus this week and decided to take a chance. I felt a bit like Ralphie's little brother with all of my layers on :ninja: , but other than my feet and hands, I felt fine. If I had heated gloves or glove liners, I think it would have been perfect. I can handle the cold feet for my brief ride (6 miles; about 10 - 15 minutes in the saddle). I'm high fiving myself for doing this though :clap: - certainly the coldest I'll ever brave. Supposed to get back up into the 40's soon. That should feel toasty warm. 8)
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

pdxrita wrote:14 degrees this morning, according to my Weatherpulse software. I got sick of riding the bus this week and decided to take a chance. I felt a bit like Ralphie's little brother with all of my layers on :ninja: , but other than my feet and hands, I felt fine. If I had heated gloves or glove liners, I think it would have been perfect. I can handle the cold feet for my brief ride (6 miles; about 10 - 15 minutes in the saddle). I'm high fiving myself for doing this though :clap: - certainly the coldest I'll ever brave. Supposed to get back up into the 40's soon. That should feel toasty warm. 8)
Good on ya Rita! I sadly drove this morning, since I've got my grips all disassembled while working on my grip-heaters. I feel a bit like a traitor :)
broke

Post by broke »

Kaos wrote:I sadly drove this morning, since I've got my grips all disassembled while working on my grip-heaters. I feel a bit like a traitor :)
I've been driving for the past week. Not because of the cold, but because I have a cold. Yesterday I had to leave work early and had some terrible "shakes" last night. And I don't think I'm supposed to cough up brown phlegm :shock:
Want and need divide me. Mekka-lekka hi mekka hiney ho!
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

broke wrote:
Kaos wrote:I sadly drove this morning, since I've got my grips all disassembled while working on my grip-heaters. I feel a bit like a traitor :)
I've been driving for the past week. Not because of the cold, but because I have a cold. Yesterday I had to leave work early and had some terrible "shakes" last night. And I don't think I'm supposed to cough up brown phlegm :shock:
You haven't been randomly bitten by say... A hobo, or a weird lady in tattered clothes with a vacant look in her eyes lately have you?
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

I was just listening to the news talking about some of the record low temperatures in Oregon - I feel sorry for you Oregonians. Other parts of the country are also experiencing record lows so I'm not going to complain about our twenty something temperatures anymore. :(
I'm still going go look for a 1-piece riding or snowmobile suit though. :)
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
ThinAir

Post by ThinAir »

Kaos wrote:Well I got my heated grips today. I was outside in the dark installing them in 18 degree weather. The right grip heats fantastically. The left one? Well, its got a bad solder. I'm going to try re-soldering it tomorrow in hopes that it will hold up. If I jump the break with a wire it heats fine, so here's hoping.
Which heated grips did you get?
I bought oxford "standard" and the controller is not working.
I bought a new controller but am waiting for temps to get above freezing so I can work on installing it.
If was -15F Tuesday night and -4F last night.
www.peakscooter.com - Lap Aprons, Handlebar Muffs/Mitts, Lighting, stuff for your ride.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

ThinAir wrote:
Kaos wrote:Well I got my heated grips today. I was outside in the dark installing them in 18 degree weather. The right grip heats fantastically. The left one? Well, its got a bad solder. I'm going to try re-soldering it tomorrow in hopes that it will hold up. If I jump the break with a wire it heats fine, so here's hoping.
Which heated grips did you get?
I bought oxford "standard" and the controller is not working.
I bought a new controller but am waiting for temps to get above freezing so I can work on installing it.
If was -15F Tuesday night and -4F last night.
I got the ones that Olehogrider linked to earlier in this thread. They were only $27, so I shouldn't be too surprised that they had a bad solder. You get what you pay for, I suppose.
vespatech

Post by vespatech »

textport makes excellent gloves at unbeatable prices
they do not whore up the internet, so you have to find a dealer.

deerskin with 3m liner like 29.00
gigi

Post by gigi »

we had 11 degrees this morning. full face helmet is a must have at those temps. coldest I'm ever going to willingly ride in. 10 minutes commute and all day shivering. feet were ok but hands were so stiff I couldn't work a keyboard for an hour. at least it was mostly dry and no wind. hoping for a larger windshield with hand protection. gonna buy chemical packs by the gross--don't want to mess with the electrical system--bad experiences in the past. ride on cause you're tougher than me. I'll ride on the warm days--above freezing.
armed, dangerous, and off his medication
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

Kaos wrote: Good on ya Rita! I sadly drove this morning, since I've got my grips all disassembled while working on my grip-heaters. I feel a bit like a traitor :)
Traitor! :P I'll be interested to hear about the heated grips. I feel like I'd prefer a glove so that I get heat on the top of hands as well, but maybe just a bit of heat underneath would be enough to stop my fingers from hurting.
gigi wrote:we had 11 degrees this morning. full face helmet is a must have at those temps. coldest I'm ever going to willingly ride in. 10 minutes commute and all day shivering. feet were ok but hands were so stiff I couldn't work a keyboard for an hour. at least it was mostly dry and no wind. hoping for a larger windshield with hand protection. gonna buy chemical packs by the gross--don't want to mess with the electrical system--bad experiences in the past. ride on cause you're tougher than me. I'll ride on the warm days--above freezing.
Yikes! Sounds like you need better gloves. I have about the same commute, timewise, and my hands got painfully cold in 14 degrees this morning, but they warmed right up as soon as I got inside. Maybe it's because I was so completely bundled with long underwear, wool socks, etc...
Ed Hit

Post by Ed Hit »

7 degrees here and icy. And the scooter CVT is still in pieces. I will probably bike tomorrow, keeps me warmer!
takora

Post by takora »

I've been riding every morning through this cold snap we've had in Portland, my commute is about 30 minutes, and I'm as OK with the cold as can be expected except for my fingers. I thought my 'thick' gloves would be warm enough but my hands are nearly frostbitten by the time I get to work, and at every traffic stop I'm pulling my fingers into the palm of my gloves for just a few seconds of (relative) warmth!

I'll be interested to hear about your heated grips, Kaos, I'm hoping to get some heated gloves this weekend. I need to do something about that soon...

Still better than the bus, and I haven't hit any ice patches, yet... The Buddy is a little slow to get going in the morning (as am I), but I'm overdue for service anyway, so I'll get the idle adjusted sson... Passed 2000 miles last week!
gr8dog

Post by gr8dog »

Well, we didn't even get out of the single digits today. However, the 14 inches of snow we got on Wednesday puts an end to riding until spring. I couldn't even drive down our road in the car. My car has about 9 or 10 inches of clearance. I called in a vacation day at work and went sledding with my kids in the middle of a blizzard instead. It was cold! The plow finally came through about 1 pm and dumped 2 feet of plowed snow at the end of my driveway. All the roads are now covered with impacted snow which is the same as ice. If I see ANYBODY riding 2 wheels before March I will report (bicycles don't count, I see people riding in below zero cold on bicycles). It's not the cold that ends the riding around here it's the ice and snow on the roads.
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

takora wrote: Still better than the bus, and I haven't hit any ice patches, yet... The Buddy is a little slow to get going in the morning (as am I), but I'm overdue for service anyway, so I'll get the idle adjusted sson... Passed 2000 miles last week!
I'm with you - this is better than the bus but my hands are coooold. Take a look at this site: http://www.heatedclothingoutlet.com. They've got some heated gloves for really good prices. As for the ice, I almost hit a big patch on Barbur blvd. this afternoon. I was moving towards the right side of the lane, so that a car on a side street could see me, when suddenly a huge patch of thick ice appeared before me. I swerved back in plenty of time, thankfully. I don't think I would have made it across without going down. I've seen a couple of spots like this. Either burst pipes or some idiot releasing water onto frozen pavement. That's the scariest thing.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

pdxrita wrote:
Kaos wrote: Good on ya Rita! I sadly drove this morning, since I've got my grips all disassembled while working on my grip-heaters. I feel a bit like a traitor :)
Traitor! :P I'll be interested to hear about the heated grips. I feel like I'd prefer a glove so that I get heat on the top of hands as well, but maybe just a bit of heat underneath would be enough to stop my fingers from hurting.
gigi wrote:we had 11 degrees this morning. full face helmet is a must have at those temps. coldest I'm ever going to willingly ride in. 10 minutes commute and all day shivering. feet were ok but hands were so stiff I couldn't work a keyboard for an hour. at least it was mostly dry and no wind. hoping for a larger windshield with hand protection. gonna buy chemical packs by the gross--don't want to mess with the electrical system--bad experiences in the past. ride on cause you're tougher than me. I'll ride on the warm days--above freezing.
Yikes! Sounds like you need better gloves. I have about the same commute, timewise, and my hands got painfully cold in 14 degrees this morning, but they warmed right up as soon as I got inside. Maybe it's because I was so completely bundled with long underwear, wool socks, etc...
Ok, with about an hour of work with a tiny little soldering iron my other grip works now. I took it for a 10 minute test ride, and the inside of my gloves were BOILING! My hands were sweating and toasted. And the heaters were on low!! I'm going to ride in with them tomorrow morning, its not supposed to be as cold. Only 23... :roll:
TVB

Post by TVB »

broke wrote:And I don't think I'm supposed to cough up brown phlegm :shock:
It's healthier than letting it stay inside you.
BeachBuzz

Post by BeachBuzz »

OK now it's getting cold!!

My outside thermometer dropped steadily overnight from 28 when I went to bed last night to 21 this morning. I'm riding the Burgman this week until I pick up the Blur from Philly Scooters tomorrow. The onboard thermometer in my garage was reading 38 when I turned the key. By the time I got to work it cooled off to 23 - there's a steady 15mph breeze this morning making the wind chill somewhere in the single digits, standing still.

I was pleasently surprised when I got parked that my fingers werent frozen. The GIVI windscreen on the Burger does offer improved protection for my hands and I had glove liners on for the first time this season. Along with my Tourmaster gloves (not sure what model they are but they're wind/waterproof cordura and insulated) I could actually move enough to get my helmet unbuckled with the liners still on. I did get a set of handlebar muffs from The Scooter Lounge that I will install on the Blur at the shop tomorrow before I ride it home. That's about a 30 minute ride that should prove their worthyness, but it's supposed to be back in the low 40's tomorrow - a heat wave before the next round of precip on Sunday.

Full length bike tights, pants and FieldSheer windproof overpants. Turtleneck thermal layer under wool shirt, windstopper fleece, and leather jacket. Schampa windstopper fleece gaitor. Wool socks and boots and I was pretty toasty. Of course with all the gear on, walking the block from my parking spot to the building I broke a sweat before I got out of all the layers. I had previously set my lower limit at 20f, but that was on the Blur with less wind protection than the Burgman, and the Blur route is a little longer because I jump on the interstate on the Burger and shorten the trip. I'll keep on riding.

Oh wells - I'll keep at least (my) 2 scoots running all winter. I'll probably winterize the 50's until it's time to take them back to the cottage. I'll be stabilizing the gas tanks and spiderwebbing the battery tenders this weekend. Mrs' Buddy will have to survive on the occasional weekend run when conditions permit and I can convince her to take a ride.

not to rush the holiday season, but for us Rounders
THINK SPRING
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Well, so much for it being 23 this morning.... It was 6. :(

I rode in anyway, my new grip heaters worked well, but were still not a match for windchill. While my hands wern't frozen, they still get pretty cold.

I think if I add windguards to the mix, they'll do the trick.... I still want to know how it gets to be 6 degrees in Oregon...
ERik3tb

Post by ERik3tb »

Kaos wrote: I still want to know how it gets to be 6 degrees in Oregon...
That's easy. Blame Global Warming.
Heroism is being scared as hell and saddling up anyways - John Wayne
MarsR

Post by MarsR »

3 degrees F when I left home this morning. Good thing it's only a 12-minute ride. Ski gloves kept my hands warm, but I thought my fingertips were going to fall off before I got to work. There seems to be no way to keep my FF visor from icing over, so I had to open it occasionally and freeze my lips off. :? The rest of me stays plenty warm by putting my rain gear over the top of everything.
MB#1749 RBC#8

"I have GOT to get me one of THESE!"
--Captain Steven Hiller (Will Smith), Independence Day
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

MarsR wrote:3 degrees F when I left home this morning. Good thing it's only a 12-minute ride. Ski gloves kept my hands warm, but I thought my fingertips were going to fall off before I got to work. There seems to be no way to keep my FF visor from icing over, so I had to open it occasionally and freeze my lips off. :? The rest of me stays plenty warm by putting my rain gear over the top of everything.
Yeah, I was having visor freezeover issues as well. I had to stop several times and crack the ice off my visor.
mojosnmikospapis

Brrrrrrrrrr

Post by mojosnmikospapis »

One of my coldest days out. That temp is before windchill. Oh, and I hit 900 today. Wahoo!
<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/alb ... cket"></a>
Black and de-restricted. Black Genuine topcase added to a black rear rack. Silverstars all around. New chrome side cowls (raffle win!)
Major Redneck

Post by Major Redneck »

im such a wuss,,, my son wanted to go scoot'in today it was 45 and i said no it was too cold,,, that i did not feel like having my hands and feet hurt...im gettin old... ill drive it in the cold only when i have too... i love my heater and windshild on my festiva... if auto's had a scooter class festiva would be in that class it has 12" tires, and only weighs in at 1178lbs dry... god ya'll be careful out there frostbite is noting to playwith... my uncle lost his toes and fingers in WW2 to frostbite... but then again ya'll up-northerners know this im sure...

I ordered a Zippo handwarmer today...

i was wondering what do you northerners keep your temp. in your homes?