MB Scooterist New Year Resolutions

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ericalm
Site Admin

MB Scooterist New Year Resolutions

Post by ericalm »

Let's hear 'em!

Mine:

1. Get the Buddy running again.
Shamefully, the Buddy (ostensibly my wife's scoot), has a clogged carb due to sitting too long. I'm going to fix it myself but haven't had the time. It's time to make time. (One reason she's avoided riding: She doesn't have good warm weather gear. That will be rectified as well.)

2. No more riding sans jacket in the summer.
Got a Corazzo mesh. No more excuses.

3. Help organize a kick-ass LA rally for late summer.
Working on it.

4. Execute some long-planned but delayed improvements on MB.
Don't hold me to this. :)

5. Win lotto. Buy enough 2-wheelers to make Leno jealous. Convince Ewan McGregor, Philip McCaleb, Mike Frankovich, all of the MB moderators and whichever members want to join to ride with me from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego—all on sub-300cc scooters. If Clooney wants to come, he can too. (No wimps or whiners!)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

So I'm from Alaska and still have loads of family up there in and around Anchorage. We're planning a summer reunion and WOW! what if I drove a scoot home to San Diego?! That'd be wicked awesome. I'm sure I could find couches for a few people if you really wanted to scoot from Alaska. Just now that the Mountains (and valleys) will have snow come early August so June/July is really the only shot you got. We can always ferry it to Juneau and scoot from the Panhandle - avoiding one really large mountain range.

I, too, ordered a mesh Corazzo. I'm waiting for it and my winter coat so that too hot or too cold is not even a consideration.

in 2010 I want to go further and explore more on my scoot.

I think I want a bigger scoot.

I would like to figure out a fun way to get to LA and back in a day.

I want to scoot and have over-night adventures whether it's in hotels or camping.

and finally, I'm not going to say "no" more than I say "yes" to adventures scooting or otherwise.
scootermom

Post by scootermom »

I'm not usually one for resolutions, but being a new scooterist, there are a few things I'd like to accomplish this year, scooter-wise:

1. Get my M class endorsement.
(should be done by 1/4/09!)

2. Ride my scooter at least five times a week, weather permitting.

3. Go on a group ride with our local scooter club. Or two.

I think that's really it. Non-scooter-related "resolutions" involve regular junk, like getting to the gym 3x a week, not eating so damn much, and not worrying about little stuff.
I write about my scooter obsession here:The ScooterMom blog.

Check out myA Hot Piece of Glass Etsy shop!
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

I resolve to break the seriously embarrassing habit of reaching for the non-existent climate controls when I'm on the scoot. After nearly 2 years of riding I still find myself momentarily hunting for the AC/heater switch.
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

jijifer wrote:
and finally, I'm not going to say "no" more than I say "yes" to adventures scooting or otherwise.
Do you mean that the other way around?

Edit: i read to fast. :oops: So I'm saying I didn't not read to slow.
Last edited by bigbropgo on Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

bigbropgo wrote:
jijifer wrote:
probably. too many negatives already :)
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

jijifer wrote:
bigbropgo wrote:
jijifer wrote:
probably. too many negatives already :)
Just playin. That is a great resolution. Might help you to live longer. :D
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
Major Redneck

Post by Major Redneck »

downsizing my world,,, iv got too much i dont use,,, "Clean House"...

being im not much of a salesman im just giving things away looking for a good home that they well be used is not easy... the look and response of people are not all the same... the old battery charger that was replace with "Battery Tender Plus" was a welcome gift to a friend,,, even a 2gal. gas can to a fellow MB member,,, full of 100 octane fuel i might add),,, still looking for a home for my 1gal,,, leaves a 2gal and 5gal for me... the old toolbox (full of craftsman tools not cheap) that one man said he did not want,,, the one i gave it too came to me a week later asking me was i sure i wanted to give him all them craftsman tools,,, they were replaced with snap-on,,, he said oh!

my baby well be 18 this year he's looking at joining the USMC or becoming a bum... i told him to go for a 4hour walk and practice being homeless and see if the Marines look better,,, he left with his mp3 player that was 6hours ago,,, maybe he dont like the look of the Marines... Navy maybe???

as i said im downsizing my world,,, this feb im looking at living the life of "Jim Rockford" in a 28' travel trailer(with slideout),,, kids can eat but not sleep,,, i have a tent for them if needed... i dont need the size of 3 bedroom anymore,,, the cost to maintain it is large for just one or even two...

one big impact that iv learned off of scootering,,, "you can do it in a smaller way and have just as much fun",,, and the cost is so much more less than the others "Norm"...
Scoot'in is more fun than beating up your sister, and it comes with a key!!!
TVB

Post by TVB »

charlie55 wrote:I resolve to break the seriously embarrassing habit of reaching for the non-existent climate controls when I'm on the scoot. After nearly 2 years of riding I still find myself momentarily hunting for the AC/heater switch.

My resolutions:
* Ride the scooter less, and the bicycle more. Since I got Flash it's been too easy to hop on the scooter for a ride to the comics shop or the movie theater, when Scotty (my Trek) could get me there too.
* See more parts of Michigan on one or both of them. But...
* Stay off bridges that are longer than my drive to work, and taller than any of the buildings I pass on the way.
Orange Guy

Post by Orange Guy »

Scoot related:
1- track down a VBB front fork for the Allstate
2- make the Allstate pretty on the inside (kit/carb/exhaust)
3- ride the Buddy more. Barely any miles in 2009. Allstate got a lot.
4- order something from Corazzo
5- rally my ass off

Non-scoot related:
1- make my new business succeed
2- see my abs
3- rediscover disc golf
4- continue the purge of accumulated crap
5- attend city council meetings
I suppose I should be upset, even feel violated, but I'm not. No, in fact, I think this is a friendly message, like "Hey, wanna play?" and yes I want to play. I really really do.

Orange Guy, Inc.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Scooter Related
1) Help organize the LA scooter rally
2) Get a second, larger displacement, scooter (Genuine Touring? Vespa?) for up-the-coast highway rides.

Life Related
1) Get in the best shape of my life for my next birthday (P90X - 31 days done, 59 more to go... then do it all over again after that.)
2) Make 2010 my most social year ever (this is a repeat of last years resolution - I liked it :) )
3) Let my family, friends, and loved ones know how much they mean to me (while I still have the chance to say it to them).
4) Get a job that makes me both happy and wealthy... (um, this one needs to happen asap)

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

-quit smoking. I've got a little less than half a pack to last me until midnight new year's eve. If they're not gone by then, they get field-stripped and thrown in the wood stove...or fireplace, whichever's burning at the time.

-get my pottery selling so this self-employment thing will work. This entails getting into some galleries and getting my distractable self into the studio more often. The goal is to get 1, up and running so that 2, I'll have funding for....

-Go on at least one long-distance scooter adventure. Crossing state lines and camping must be involved. :twisted:
chloefpuff

Post by chloefpuff »

Finish reading Proficient Motorcycling.
Go on longer rides (haven't even cracked an hour yet).
Find people to ride with.
so tough, so pink
Rob

Post by Rob »

Just one.

Ride two wheels to work as much as possible in 2010.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

TVB wrote:My resolutions:
* Ride the scooter less, and the bicycle more.
Me too! Since I got my scooter I've gotten totally bicycle lazy. I just got brand new snow tires for the Redline and I'm working on new snow tires for the trek. I dearly love scooting but I'm getting really out of shape or into a shape I don't much care for! :lol:

I also vow to by a Kenetic indoor trainer so that when I'm not trail riding I can at least get some riding in.

I also want to have my 50 paid off by spring so I can start looking for a new larger commuter and turn the 50 into a performance toy. I love her and just can't let her go but in the famous words of Sammy Hagar, "I can't drive 55!", seriously, it just won't go that fast :)
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

1. Get back in shape. My waist has enlarged much too much for my liking!

2. Ride the scoot MORE! Maybe it doesn't seem like it because of the current weather (snow, ice) but I think I need to ride more. I find myself being lazy and not wanting to gear up too often--so I use that as an excuse to just hop in the cage and go!

3. Get a new FF or FFMod helmet! I've been looking for a while but had no luck.

4. Scoot to Amerivespa! I'm SO ready for this (once I have the helmet)!
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
Dibber

Post by Dibber »

Simply Just Keep Riding!
Bart "This is the worst day of my life!" Homer "No it's the worst day so far!"
www.twincitiesrider.com
mattgordon

Re: MB Scooterist New Year Resolutions

Post by mattgordon »

ericalm wrote:Let's hear 'em!

3. Help organize a kick-ass LA rally for late summer.
Working on it.
Hmmm? Intriguing AND appealing!
rajron

Post by rajron »

Ride more, longer and faster
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

1. Always always always wear full gear, including leg protection.
I used to skimp on the legs, but not any more. Winter and summer chaps.

2. Plan my route to avoid dangerous curves in damp weather.
There's this sharp curve which collects oil slicks, and has claimed a few bikes. Best avoided.

3. Start saving for a higher displacement bike.

4. Design and execute a custom paint job on the buddy.
The reflective decals have been great, but I'm ready for something new...

Something...

Pimptastic
Det finns inte dåligt väder bara dåliga kläder.
ERik3tb

Post by ERik3tb »

5 years ago, I made the resolution to not make any more resolutions. it's the only one I have ever stuck to.
Heroism is being scared as hell and saddling up anyways - John Wayne
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

They're not so much New Year's resolutions ... as general resolutions.

1. Finish condo renovations so that my place of residence is not coated in sawdust and scattered tools.

2. Unpack the boxes that have been shoved from one corner to another to accommodate renovations.

3. Get rid of all of the stuff I've been hoarding but don't need... Consider hoarding rehab.

4. Play at an open mic. (This one, I don't admit to anyone who actually knows me. Because I sometimes flush fluorescent pink just talking at the lunch table.) This was actually last year's resolution -- the only actual "New Year's Resolution" I've made as an adult. But I didn't have a guitar that I was willing to cart on a scooter. BUT I recently found a 3/4 guitar at the thrift store for $6, and after some glue and vice grips the front and back boards are in place and it actually holds a tune! So no more excuses: Play at an open mic.

5. (Edited to add) Make it through this winter cage free.
Scooter Commuter
laxer

Post by laxer »

I resolve to make the "Orange Guy Mod" to my scoot by losing 50 lbs!
maribell

Post by maribell »

1. Beautify the Vespa: cover the damages with a killer custom paint job.
2. Ride 200 miles in one day.
3. Get a winter jacket.
4. Buy some crash bars...for real.

Non-scooter related goals.

1. Lose 15-20 lbs by the end of June. Eat less and go to yoga more often.
2. Get at least 3 A's next semester.
3. Land an internship.
4. Graduate.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

laxer wrote:I resolve to make the "Orange Guy Mod" to my scoot by losing 50 lbs!
That's on my list too. Someone recently asked when my MB avatar pic was taken. My reply: "Uh, about 30lbs. ago." (It really wasn't that long ago! Yikes.)

When my mechanic is making jokes about the Slim Fast mod for my scooter, it's time to get off my ass.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
laxer

Post by laxer »

Time to get off your ass, or time to get your ass off of you? :P
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

laxer wrote:Time to get off your ass, or time to get your ass off of you? :P
Both! And not just the ass.

My goal is to be in good enough shape to go surfing. I'm not saying I'm actually going to go, but I want to be able to should I so choose.
Coffeejunkie

Post by Coffeejunkie »

Finish painting my freaking house

Add some mods to Victoria

Buy a nice pair of riding pants

Drink more coffee

Oh and hit more coffee houses on my scoot so I can write about it in my blog

Get better about updating said blog
Last edited by Coffeejunkie on Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

http://javascoots.wordpress.com/
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

ericalm wrote:

My goal is to be in good enough shape to go surfing. I'm not saying I'm actually going to go, but I want to be able to should I so choose.
Ha... I just got the Wii fit, and when it took in my measurements, it actually made my little Mii character fat to match my stats, then she looked down at herself and shook her head. I keep wondering how much faster my scoot would be if I shed some, uh, luggage.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Pave the driveway and build a workshop/garage.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

bluebuddygirl wrote:
ericalm wrote:

Ha... I just got the Wii fit, and when it took in my measurements, it actually made my little Mii character fat to match my stats, then she looked down at herself and shook her head. I keep wondering how much faster my scoot would be if I shed some, uh, luggage.
I do not need my Wii mocking me. I do need it to transform into a PS3. It's not cooperating.
redcass

Post by redcass »

1. Drive my scooter even more, like for errands when I usually take the car.
2. Take a camping trip with my scooter.
3. Take a long scooter trip (at least 150-200 miles away).
RedCass
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

1.STOP SMOKING AGAIN
2. Somehow find a way to ride my scooter and bicycles more? :?
3. Loose the twenty pounds I gained since moving to this former swamp

I think it all boils down to 2 if I ride my scooter more I'm happier don't need to smoke-if I ride my bike more I get more excercise, I loose said weight, I'm happier don't need to smoke.

Quit smoking have more money for new pipe and trimmings I will need for rat.
Seriously, have any of you smokers broken down how much you spend on those damn things? they are 6.00 a pack here and growing, it doesn't seem like much but 6.00 a day or more adds up.
Lets do it smoking scooter pilots-new movement stop smoking for better gear in 2010..... :lol:
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

My resolution is not to make any resolutions, but rather to keep to the positive things in my life that I started pre-New Year's.
PasadenaSue

Post by PasadenaSue »

I sense a trend among MB members...

Definitely go scooter camping!
Go on a long ride 200+ miles (like redcass's goals)
Scoot to more coffeehouses, like Coffeejunkie.
Add a heated seat and heated grips to my scoot.
Ride the scoot everywhere for 1 week, then see if I can keep adding to that.
Install the 161 kit and upgrade my transmission.
Go on at least one bicycle tour this year.
Vic

Post by Vic »

First is the "me mod to increase speed" or loosing the several pounds that I have managed to find along the way in the last few years. I got the kids :wink: a Wii and I am planning to get a Fit as soon as my bank account recovers from the holiday. I have no doubt my Wii will be very disappointed in me.
My ex-MIL got a Wii Fit about a year ago and using it twice a day for 15 minutes a pop and slightly modifying her eating habits she has managed to lose more than 85 pounds. :shock: She looks great and I am hoping to do the same thing by next Christmas.
I want to also learn more about my scooter. I got an old lawnmower and I am planning to tear it apart and then try to get it back together and running.
I want to get a louder horn for the Bud. It would be awesome to do it myself, but I am afraid, so I am not going to set myself up, we will see.
Get started on my planned bathroom/laundryroom renovation, at least to the point where I don't have to leave the house to get to the laundryroom by next winter (this is a rude way to wake up on cold Ohio mornings).
Finish tilling up the second half of my planned garden (this will double the size) and plant the whole thing. Get the squash patch back into order and grow something out there. Add at least one more berry bush to my berry patch (I have Red currant, gooseberry, red raspberry, blackberry and a rather pathetic looking blueberry that I expect to need replacing after this winter).
Bust out the pressure canner and the dehydrator, and put up some foods as I harvest them. Also, make enough of my "Famous-in-my-own-mind Cherry Berry Conserve" to give away as Christmas gifts next year.
-v
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

The same one I made for 2009, no more tickets. I achieved that goal last year, and plan to do it again this year .

Spend less on gasoline by riding the Buddy more. I keep all my gasoline receipts and tally them up at the end of the year....this year $1977.12! But, that's less than last year, where I was like $2,250 or there abouts. The sad thing is, I live 7 blocks from where I work :cry: . I just drive and ride and drive and ride for fun. I'm a carbon emitting machine baby.

Lose weight. (go faster!)

Save up enough money to buy a Ducati Hypermotard 796.
Using the internet for evil since 1994.
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

1. Finish the P200E before Big Easy Weekender in MARCH!!!

2. Get armored mesh jacket for summer and put all my patches on it.

3. Go to at least 2 out-of-town rallies this summer.

That's all my scooter related resolutions, though I have many others, such as finishing my house and my sailboat and getting in shape. :P
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

1) Trick out my GS550, be satisfied I've got a great motorcycle.
2) Do a few mods to the Blur.
3) Attend Amerivespa.
4) Buy a Stella or shut up and start saving for that GTV I really want.
5) Blog and write more about the things I love: scoots and motorcycles. Oh, and my family. (wife is looking over my shoulder).
purple

resolutions

Post by purple »

Not cringe when cars dip past me.
Not think so much when going around steep curves.
Just get on and go!

Which means: Ride a lot more to get more experience!!!
hcstrider

Post by hcstrider »

Take the Motorcycle Safety Class. I meant to do this in 2009 but never got around to it.
Wayne
The safest rule, no ifs or buts
Just drive like everyone else is nuts! (Burma Shave)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

hcstrider wrote:Take the Motorcycle Safety Class. I meant to do this in 2009 but never got around to it.
Good one. I was over 10K miles when I took it and am still glad I did it.

My new new resolution: Behave better online. I don;t misbehave but I tend to get suckered into discussions and disagreements that I should probably just ignore. Not here, of course, where I have to be the model of a good forum citizen… :)

Also, figure out why I can no longer type apostrophes. I never had issues with this until switching keyboards. Now I type semicolons in their place almost every time. Other characters don;t give me problems. Arrrrgh!
scootermom

Post by scootermom »

ericalm wrote:
hcstrider wrote:Take the Motorcycle Safety Class. I meant to do this in 2009 but never got around to it.
Did neither of you need a motorcycle license for your scooters? I took the class because I didn't want to have to take the tests at the DMV! :)

hcstrider: the MSF class is REALLY fun! You'll enjoy it.
I write about my scooter obsession here:The ScooterMom blog.

Check out myA Hot Piece of Glass Etsy shop!
TVB

Post by TVB »

ericalm wrote:Also, figure out why I can no longer type apostrophes. I never had issues with this until switching keyboards. Now I type semicolons in their place almost every time. Other characters don;t give me problems. Arrrrgh!
At least you aren't typing commas instead of periods,,,, :roll:
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

scootermom wrote:
Did neither of you need a motorcycle license for your scooters? I took the class because I didn't want to have to take the tests at the DMV! :)

Here in Ohio the classes are very popular, and hard to get into. A lot of people take the riding exam first and the class second. It is the same riding exam.
hcstrider

Post by hcstrider »

scootermom wrote:
ericalm wrote:

scootermom, Thanks for the encouragement. I had to get my class M license to ride my Buddy 125. I am self taught so I got my license thanks to a lot of studying and practice. I think that I have picked up many good riding habits thanks to the reading that I have done such as a lot of the good advice on ModernBuddy. However I am also sure that I have acquired some bad riding habits also and so from the Motorcycle Safety Course my goal would be to eliminate my bad riding habits and strengthen my good riding habits.
Wayne
The safest rule, no ifs or buts
Just drive like everyone else is nuts! (Burma Shave)
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

1 Pay down (off? hmm!) my credit card...
2 ...so that I'll have $$$ for AmeriVespa
3 Walk around town more (mp3 player will drown out Phil)
4 Go somewhere new every week
5 Go to the PMA every month
6 Apply to grad school (again) so that I may...
7 ...Relocate to warmer climes ASAFP
ModBud #442