Happy New Year from Genuine Scooters and Philip McCaleb

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

bigdad381

Happy New Year from Genuine Scooters and Philip McCaleb

Post by bigdad381 »

A couple days ago I had the opportunity to have lunch with Eric of modernbuddy and Mike Frankovich of NOHO scooters. The passion and dedication to scooters they show is incredible; I left feeling a rush of positive energy that I'll work hard to sustain throughout the year. ModernBuddy is a never ending source of inspiration for all of us at Genuine...we read it, we absorb the suggestions, and implement many of them in the way we do business. Thanks for caring so much and for being such a great community. WE will all have a better 2010...and Genuine looks forward to sponsoring "meet ups" in many regions of the country this year. We'll surely listen to all your suggestions!

Our love for ModernBuddy IS Genuine.

Happy New Year!!!!

Philip McCaleb
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

I'm a sucker for this comradery crap. Your brand does have a certain friendly appeal to it that's not quite the same in other brands. At first I though it was just a bunch of marketing fluff, but it's really not. The Bus, T-shirts, friendly post cards and reaching out to the community... that's just a nice touch. You guys do try and it shows.

Happy New Years to you too.

Now, about these new models.... We're waiting... :twisted:
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
laxer

Post by laxer »

Lostmycage wrote:
Hear hear!
Perkussion

Post by Perkussion »

Wow. :shock:
I've never seen a post from Philip McCaleb.

What a cool way to start the year!
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Perkussion wrote:Wow. :shock:
I've never seen a post from Philip McCaleb.

What a cool way to start the year!
Phil and the rest of Genuine take a hands-off aproach to MB. They as a rule don't post because they don't want this to BE a GENUINE run forum. Its a community forum :)

And thanks for everything you've done to give us this community Phil!
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

As a Vintage Buddy owner (August 06) thanks for a kick ass scooter that just keeps running!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

I'm with Raton, the Buddys are the jackpot of modern scooters. And yes we are
anxiously awaiting the new models that will be hopefully as good or better! :mrgreen:

(if that's even possible)
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

laxer wrote:
Lostmycage wrote:
Hear hear!
and hear! :lol:
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Philip, so great to finally meet you. I think 2010 is going to be a great year for Genuine, ModernBuddy and for riders and enthusiasts. Thanks, also for the kind words.

Folks, Mr. McCaleb posts once a year. It's like a holiday card to the community.
search.php?search_author=bigdad381

So don't expect him to feed us any new info on forthcoming models. Yet. :)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
mattgordon

Post by mattgordon »

Genuine and its products exemplify all that is RIGHT in the world of business in this country (unfortunately, not all that common these days) great products, priced right, and provided and supported by a passionate company that cares. Please keep up the good work in 2010 and beyond.
SteMer

Post by SteMer »

BuddyRaton wrote:As a Vintage Buddy owner (August 06) thanks for a kick ass scooter that just keeps running!
Ditto that (Sept. 06). Mine has been a very consistent almost daily commuter for me.
Mighty Ohio Scooter Club

laxer

Post by laxer »

mattgordon wrote:Genuine and its products exemplify all that is RIGHT in the world of business in this country (unfortunately, not all that common these days) great products, priced right, and provided and supported by a passionate company that cares. Please keep up the good work in 2010 and beyond.
Exactly. Thanks to Genuine's genuine passion for great scooters and great customer service (coupled with my GREAT local shop), I'm a Genuine customer for life.
BoneGirl

Thanks for bringing us the Buddy

Post by BoneGirl »

Happy New Year to Philip and everyone at Genuine Scooters. My Buddy is a living testimony of how well this machine is made. I am pleased that my first and only scooter has been the Buddy. We have travelled a vast amount of miles together and hope the ride goes on forever and ever. Thanks so much to Philip and his crew for making it all possible! Angie
Buell_Buddy

Post by Buell_Buddy »

Based on one week of Buddy ownership (but decades of motorbike ownership): Wow. This is one impressive little scooter.

If your customer service and dealer network is up to the standard set by the hardware itself, you should have great success. Support your customers, and we will cheerfully help "sell" the bike to anyone who will listen.

(Now that I've buttered you up: the centerstand could use more clearance for, um, spirited cornering.)

All the best for 2010.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Buell_Buddy wrote:(Now that I've buttered you up: the centerstand could use more clearance for, um, spirited cornering.)
LOL. In general, I'd say that it would be a bad idea to allow any greater lean angles on a scoot with 10" wheels. Instead of "I hit the stand!" reports, we'd be hearing "I lowsided!"

A lot of us have scraped stand on our scooters. A lot of us have scraped stand on our scooters. This is mostly because the Buddy leans so damn easily. It's not lighter than other scoots in its class but seems to have a lower center of gravity. This is mostly because the Buddy leans so damn easily. It's not lighter than other scoots in its class but seems to have a lower center of gravity. I hit the stand my first time out on a Buddy, though I'd say it already has greater lean angles than my other scoot.

Usually, scraping stand is a lesson in having learned the scooter's tolerances and how not to exceed them.

Remind me to recruit you for the MB Racing Team. :)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Happy New Year to Philip and everyone at Genuine Scooters. My Buddy is a living testimony of how well this machine is made. I am pleased that my first and only scooter has been the Buddy. We have travelled a vast amount of miles together and hope the ride goes on forever and ever. Thanks so much to Philip and his crew for making it all possible! Angie
:+!: Couldn't have said it better--so I won't! Well done, guys! Thanks and God bless! :D
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

ericalm wrote:
Buell_Buddy wrote:(Now that I've buttered you up: the centerstand could use more clearance for, um, spirited cornering.)
LOL. In general, I'd say that it would be a bad idea to allow any greater lean angles on a scoot with 10" wheels. Instead of "I hit the stand!" reports, we'd be hearing "I lowsided!"

A lot of us have scraped stand on our scooters. A lot of us have scraped stand on our scooters. This is mostly because the Buddy leans so damn easily. It's not lighter than other scoots in its class but seems to have a lower center of gravity. This is mostly because the Buddy leans so damn easily. It's not lighter than other scoots in its class but seems to have a lower center of gravity. I hit the stand my first time out on a Buddy, though I'd say it already has greater lean angles than my other scoot.

Usually, scraping stand is a lesson in having learned the scooter's tolerances and how not to exceed them.

Remind me to recruit you for the MB Racing Team. :)
+1 to that. I had to teach myself to lean ME more than the scoot, as I nearly took myself out on the center stand(It caught on the road and I pivoted on it!). If you could lean it any more than you can, you'd likely just lowside it :)

Eric, where do I sign up for the race team? :P
GrittyTacoman

Post by GrittyTacoman »

Eric, just wondering if the new scooter models came up in your conversation with Phil and if there are any tantalizing tidbits you're allowed to share? :roll:
broke

Post by broke »

GrittyTacoman wrote:Eric, just wondering if the new scooter models came up in your conversation with Phil and if there are any tantalizing tidbits you're allowed to share? :roll:
Yeah dude! Spill it!!! :twisted:
Want and need divide me. Mekka-lekka hi mekka hiney ho!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Of course they came up! But there's not much I can share at the moment. Trust me, I will spill all I can as soon as I can.

Honestly, I'm not holding back all that much. We already know about the 4T Stella and the touring scooter. I don't have arrival dates for these, sorry, but would guess we'll see the Stella first since it was sent to CARB for testing quite some time ago. Philip has publicly stated (on Twitter, y'all!) that the Stella 4T is getting over 130mpg in tests.

In the past, Genuine has played it pretty close to the vest, releasing information in a trickle and only making official announcements when scooters are loaded on a ship, headed for the US.

I try not to push for too much info on these, though. Genuine tells us when they're ready. I'm happy to provide my best guesses instead of being sworn to secrecy. I get excited about this stuff and want to share it ASAP!

Here's a purely off the top of my head product prediction: It's highly unlikely that a Genuine version of this is coming any time soon. :D

(Hmm… wonder if that thing's fun to ride… Don't need a MC license for one in CA and some states… )
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

ericalm wrote:this

Gaaah I hope not.
But to the OP

I LOVE my bike, and I ADORE the company.
XXOO
Det finns inte dåligt väder bara dåliga kläder.
BoneGirl

Post by BoneGirl »

ericalm wrote: A lot of us have scraped stand on our scooters.
Having ridden the Tail of the Dragon dozens of times, scraping the centerstand is just par for the course. The first time it happens down there I about have a heart attack and then you just have to learn and lean with the best of 'em! You're down there riding with all these sport bike guys with their knees dragging, and it is so damn hard not to get that Buddy way the heck over as you cruise those awesome 318 curves! But I respect what I have to work with and my own abilities so you really do have to watch it.
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

Genuine's marketing really attracted me to the company. I actually visited Scooterworks in Chicago a few years ago interested in buying a Stella (from Scooterworld in Kansas City of course). I fell in love with a Blur that was sitting there. This was before I even owned a scooter. When it came time to buy a scooter (after learning on a friend's second-hand bike) I chose a Blur over a Kymco People 250 (from Scooterworld). The clicking turn signals got me by the way.

Anyway, there's a dedicated bunch of us Bluristas out there and I hope we can have some kind of meet-up/rally in the future. It's a great bike, and if the rumors are true, a lot more people are going to fall in love with them pretty soon.