Serious respect for those of you who ride in the cold

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jmazza

Serious respect for those of you who ride in the cold

Post by jmazza »

You know, there are a lot of members here on MB who live in warm/temperate climates. We like to poke fun (only sometimes and only because we love you) at those of you who have real winters while we get to ride year round in temps that rarely dip below 60.

We've got a, um, cold front down here in South Florida right now and I have done a couple rides in 40 degree weather (here's where I pretend not to notice the dirty looks from those of you 'up north'). Even though I recently bought a non-mesh riding jacket with an actual warm liner, my neck and lower body were COLD! Not to mention my hands in my woefully-inadequate-for-cold-weather gloves.

So, I just wanted to say that for those about to rock... I mean ride in (real) cold weather, we salute you.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

I'm just jealous that you guys get to save so much money on gear. Really, that's what it all boils down to.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Lostmycage wrote:I'm just jealous that you guys get to save so much money on gear. Really, that's what it all boils down to.
+1! I just spent $70 on the heat troller for the heated gloves I got for christmas. I wouldn't need that if it stayed above 40 degrees. :)
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Ok I get it. You guys want all of us below the Mason Dixon line to pay for your cold weather gear. Not gonna happen, guys. :P
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

jmazza wrote:Ok I get it. You guys want all of us below the Mason Dixon line to pay for your cold weather gear. Not gonna happen, guys. :P
I'll trade you free bragging rights about your year round warm weather ;)
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Kaos wrote:
jmazza wrote:Ok I get it. You guys want all of us below the Mason Dixon line to pay for your cold weather gear. Not gonna happen, guys. :P
I want in on this as well. I'll settle for a split instead of a full payout.

You think it's bad with one bike.... try deciding what cold weather mods to do on THREE bikes!

I'm seriously starting to think about modular modifications. :)
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Lostmycage wrote:
Kaos wrote:
I want in on this as well. I'll settle for a split instead of a full payout.

You think it's bad with one bike.... try deciding what cold weather mods to do on THREE bikes!

I'm seriously starting to think about modular modifications. :)
I'm still trying to get heated gear to work without killing my battery.
I'm building a battery pack outa an old jump box, we'll see how long that keeps my gear toasty.
scootermom

Post by scootermom »

Honestly, I lived ten years in Miami, and I prefer a more temperate climate. It was ridiculously cold this weekend (and today), but the thing about the cold is....you can always put more clothes on. There's a limit to how much you can take off when it's hot. :P
I write about my scooter obsession here:The ScooterMom blog.

Check out myA Hot Piece of Glass Etsy shop!
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Kaos wrote:

Year round warm weather bragging rights are just that, a right. They have no value in a trade, and can't be revoked. :lol:

You know, this goes both ways. I've wanted to go buy some new gloves just because my two pairs are not for cold weather. Also, when looking for other gear like jackets, we can practically only look at mesh ones. So in a way, you're LUCKY to have all those great gear choices!!
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

jmazza wrote:
Year round warm weather bragging rights are just that, a right. They have no value in a trade, and can't be revoked. :lol:

You know, this goes both ways. I've wanted to go buy some new gloves just because my two pairs are not for cold weather. Also, when looking for other gear like jackets, we can practically only look at mesh ones. So in a way, you're LUCKY to have all those great gear choices!!

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suppose that at least one of your mirrors is pointed at you instead of behind you. Amiright? :rofl:

You've got something in your teeth! :P
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Lostmycage wrote:
jmazza wrote:

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suppose that at least one of your mirrors is pointed at you instead of behind you. Amiright? :rofl:

You've got something in your teeth! :P
Don't you have some FAQs to write?!?!!?!

Some people... you try and say somethin' nice about 'em and they turn on you!!
redcass

Post by redcass »

Kaos wrote:I'm still trying to get heated gear to work without killing my battery. I'm building a battery pack outa an old jump box, we'll see how long that keeps my gear toasty.
Hey--let us know how that goes. I gave up on Gerbings gloves cause I was too lazy to use the clips rather than the 12v outlet. But 2 pairs of gloves can only do so much.

A balaclava PLUS neck gaiter keep my neck nice and toasty!
RedCass
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

redcass wrote:
Kaos wrote:I'm still trying to get heated gear to work without killing my battery. I'm building a battery pack outa an old jump box, we'll see how long that keeps my gear toasty.
Hey--let us know how that goes. I gave up on Gerbings gloves cause I was too lazy to use the clips rather than the 12v outlet. But 2 pairs of gloves can only do so much.

Gerbings just came out with hybrid gloves; they work with a rechargeable lithium battery pack or you can wire them to the bike's battery. I'm using them with the battery pack on the scoots and will wire them to the bike battery when riding whatever bike I don't mind getting out in the cold. The poor scoot battery can barely start my bike in this cold...the last thing I want to do is kill it keeping my hands warm.

The gloves are $$$, but I'm very happy with the results thus far.

As for 40F being cold, I can ride that in a t-shirt and shorts come March!
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

redcass wrote:

Well, turns out the battery in the jump box was no good. :( I'm headed to the autoparts store and Radioshack on my lunch break to find other parts to build this. I'm GONNA get my heated gear working one way or another! :)
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

:rofl: Awesome thread.

Best of luck to getting that figured out, Kaos! I vote you take the crown this winter. You're braving colder weather than I will.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Cheshire wrote::rofl: Awesome thread.

Best of luck to getting that figured out, Kaos! I vote you take the crown this winter. You're braving colder weather than I will.
Heh, thats one of those crowns you're not sure you actually want/deserve :P
I think I'm just too commited to my scooter to let something little like weather slow me down.... It also helps that I took apart the engine in my most streetable car to make it faster. So I've got to either ride the scooter or drive either my 1950 Chrysler, or my 1937 Ford. Neither of which is a good cold weather car. Neither has wipers, and only the 50 has any sort of heat... :)
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

In addition to the money saved on cold weather gear, I'm jealous of the time saved gearing up!
Sheesh: base layer, jeans, ski pants, neck gaitor, face mask, full face helmet, jacket with thermal liner, insulated boots, gloves....

....it takes forever!
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

High of 26 today--and highs in the teens to 30s for the week! I'll be in the cage, sorry. Still ice bumps all along the roads....
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

We're in the middle of a little snap right now (highs in the 40's, lows in the teens). I've
had an inch of ice in my sailboat for the last few days! That doesn't happen often.

I can't really complain about cold even though I sometimes wuss out when it's below
freezing, but you gotta really like to ride when it's 100 degrees and 100% humidity and
you have on jeans, boots, a black jacket and full helmet! :bleh:
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

KRUSTYburger wrote:We're in the middle of a little snap right now (highs in the 40's, lows in the teens). I've
had an inch of ice in my sailboat for the last few days! That doesn't happen often.

I can't really complain about cold even though I sometimes wuss out when it's below
freezing, but you gotta really like to ride when it's 100 degrees and 100% humidity and
you have on jeans, boots, a black jacket and full helmet! :bleh:
+1 to that! That takes just as much to do as cold weather riding!
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

I don't mind the cold so much but michigan s*cks about clearing its roads and with the ecomony the way it is here my city has decided that it won't clear the snow unless we get over 4 inches on the road. Its hard enough to bike through that stuff let alone scoot :evil:
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

jmazza wrote: Don't you have some FAQs to write?!?!!?!

Some people... you try and say somethin' nice about 'em and they turn on you!!
Sorry J, you left that one wide open. I kinda felt obligated.

What would you like a FAQ about? Maybe cold weather riding tips? :D
Let's just say I'm working on something. Why do you think I've been prodding along all these cold weather gear posts lately. I'm trying to figure out a best of.

I'm still hoping some people get stir crazy and come up with some guides for the DIY Project FAQ.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Lostmycage wrote: I'm still hoping some people get stir crazy and come up with some guides for the DIY Project FAQ.
If I figure out this heated gear battery pack, you'll get one outa me :)

Which reminds me, I got a pile of Voodoo stuff I need to post up....
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Kaos wrote:
Lostmycage wrote: I'm still hoping some people get stir crazy and come up with some guides for the DIY Project FAQ.
If I figure out this heated gear battery pack, you'll get one outa me :)

Which reminds me, I got a pile of Voodoo stuff I need to post up....
I'll keep an eye out!
kneil67@yahoo.com

Post by kneil67@yahoo.com »

Vic

Post by Vic »

Does anyone know if maybe something like those solar battery packs that they make that folks use to charge batteries would help with keeping heated gear going?
I know nothing about the subject, I have managed to get one little solar charger that I keep on the dashboard of my car and it let's me charge up some AAA or AA batteries. That is the total extent of my experience, but I am curious.
Thoughts?
-v
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Vic wrote:Does anyone know if maybe something like those solar battery packs that they make that folks use to charge batteries would help with keeping heated gear going?
I know nothing about the subject, I have managed to get one little solar charger that I keep on the dashboard of my car and it let's me charge up some AAA or AA batteries. That is the total extent of my experience, but I am curious.
Thoughts?
-v
I'm actually looking into that. If I could either power the gear with it, or at least keep the battery charged, that might do the trick. The problem is mounting. They're not exactly small. Maybe on a backpack?
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

kneil67@yahoo.com wrote:not to brag but ok I will

http://www.youtube.com/user/67kneil#p/u/11/-8enfd4RMLM
That looked like my ride a few weeks ago. Except the roads wern't clear. :(

That was one of the worst rides I've had in a while. Wasn't supposed to snow at all, just rain. It suddenly started snowing HEAVILY. There was 1/4 inch of snow on the ground by the time I told my boss I was going home early and got my gear on. There was over 3 inches by the time I got home 2 1/2 hours later. That was also the first time in a really long time I've been sore from riding. All tense and such from the extra effort of staying rubber side down.
TVB

Post by TVB »

Vic wrote:Does anyone know if maybe something like those solar battery packs that they make that folks use to charge batteries would help with keeping heated gear going?
I wouldn't expect too much from that. The amount of current needed to generate heat tends to be pretty high, and solar cells tend to be low-power. If the sun were delivering enough energy to keep you warm, you probably wouldn't be getting cold. :)
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

TVB wrote:
I wouldn't expect too much from that. The amount of current needed to generate heat tends to be pretty high, and solar cells tend to be low-power. If the sun were delivering enough energy to keep you warm, you probably wouldn't be getting cold. :)
Well, after looking at solar panels, they get REALLY expensive after 5watts. My gloves are many times that, so solar is a no-go by itself.
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

40 ... 40 :!: What I would give to see 40 any time soon.
Scooter Commuter
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

sunshinen wrote:40 ... 40 :!: What I would give to see 40 any time soon.
I had a nice surprise this morning. After weeks floating between 5 and 30 degrees. It was a balmy 47 degrees on my ride in this morning! I didn't need heated anything, and had to shed a layer! It was still raining, but thats ok... Its always raining here :)
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

I wish there were a dreamy emoticon...

:zzz: :zzz:
Scooter Commuter
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Rode in my personal coldest today, 22 degrees! Counting the windchill of 45mph (how fast on average I ride to work),
that's -1 degree, or 33 degrees below freezing! SUB-ZERO DUDES!!! :wtf:

Took a while to get the Buddy up & running this morning.
kneil67@yahoo.com

Post by kneil67@yahoo.com »

KRUSTYburger wrote:Rode in my personal coldest today, 22 degrees! Counting the windchill of 45mph (how fast on average I ride to work),
that's -1 degree, or 33 degrees below freezing! SUB-ZERO DUDES!!! :wtf:

Took a while to get the Buddy up & running this morning.
very cold for a floridian great job getting out and enjoying a brisk ride
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

Yep, the low 20s is definitely when it gets to be serious.
Scooter Commuter
robby

Post by robby »

Just got into the office. 12 degrees outside, -1 with windchill. Head is cold. Hands are numb. Anybody want to recommend me some better gloves? :D
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

robby wrote:Just got into the office. 12 degrees outside, -1 with windchill. Head is cold. Hands are numb. Anybody want to recommend me some better gloves? :D
I've been having fantastic results with Firstgear's Warm and Safe heated gloves. And as a bonus, they don't drain the scoot's battery!
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Not Rev'it. Fantastic gloves (if their quality control person was awake that day), crappy warranty service. :x

I'm looking at the Gerbings Hybrid or the Firstgear Carbon gloves (re-branded Warm and Safe).
robby

Post by robby »

Thanks for the recommendations, guys. I will look into the Carbons. How do they not drain the scoot's battery though? Do you need a separate SLA for them?
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

:arrow: <a href="topic14077.html">Follow this link to a discussion on gloves and hand warmth items</a>.
robby

Post by robby »

merci.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

robby wrote:Thanks for the recommendations, guys. I will look into the Carbons. How do they not drain the scoot's battery though? Do you need a separate SLA for them?
They don't pull enough amperage to affect the charging system. I've got both those gloves and grip heaters. The grip heaters will drain the battery more than the charging system can keep up, and I won't be able to start the bike after a few days of running it. The gloves don't have that problem.
robby

Post by robby »

Awesome, I may have to take the plunge.