I just want my fingertips to stay warm!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

pyrocpu

Post by pyrocpu »

So Santa brought some warm gear: a nice Fieldsheer leather jacket w/ CE armor everywhere, plus a linkable Fieldsheer insulated overpant (also w/ CE armor everywhere). Santa (OK, these are the in-laws) also brought me the handcovers from Scooterworks. Tested it out in sunny but 25 degree weather.

I've come to the conclusion that however many degrees Fahrenheit it is, will dictate how long I can be out on the scoot. 25F = 25min. My fingertips were horribly chilly. I had the hand covers, my Fieldsheer Aquasport gloves, and silk liners. My palms were so-so, but my finger tips were at first painful then started going numb by the time I got home. Is there no solution?

OK, been reading up... saw the thread on the Powerguard handguard thingie... maybe that will work? I'm not really wanting to do the heated grips, even though I can plug my scoot into the Battery Tender every night. I'm worried I'll get stuck at work, although I'm sure my boss would be ecstatic if that happened! FWIW, it's about 13mi each way to work, about 22min ea/way.

Tried nitrile gloves too, as the base layer glove. No worky; no other glove goes on.

I'll also mention that even when I first started on my journey, there was very limited dexterity w/ all the hand-add-ons. Surely there are other solutions?
Update: "Bought the motorcycle, still have the Blackjack... wife wants me to sell Blackjack..."

bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

I have had little luck with keeping my hands warm in cooler weather, although my trips to work are an hour. I am usually good for about 40-45 minutes before it really hurts. I forgo the riding gloves for ski mittens. They are the kind where your hands sweat when you wear them inside, but my hands still really get cold, but my hands get cold really easily. Another teacher (who rides his bicycle year round) said that he used to ride a motorcycle in the winter and a plastic bag over the gloves really helps. Doesn't let the air get in. I bought silk liners this year but I wussed out before it got real cold. Last year I rode into the 30's but not the 20's. Here in Ohio it can literally snow at any time, and I won't ride in the snow, so if it is cold enough to snow I don't ride. Don't want to be stuck 25 miles from home with no way of getting back.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

I don't think those Aquasport glvoes are really meant for cold riding. Probably good for cool and very wet days the other three season though, so keep them handy. Glove liners will help, but get some that fit well.

What I've found with gear is that you can get a bargain on any gear item except gloves. With gloves, you get what you pay for. Also, if you can get your hands out of the wind, you're way ahead of the game.

If you're thinking of going the heated grip route, you'll want a thin palmed glove with insulation on the outside of the glove. That way the heat will transfer to your palms and you'll still have insulation on the outside to help retain the heat. Check out Firstgear's TPG line of gloves.

While you're reading up on that, check out the winter glove comparison that WBW has an article on.

I'm convinced that wind deflection is the key to riding in cold weather without electrics. If you're handy, check out the link I posted in the hand guard thread where FJR owners are converting Suzuki VStrom handguards to work on their bikes. I'll be adding a set of those to my MC soon, but that's a much different mounting set-up.

Other ways of keeping your hands warm are layering. I've seen grippy three fingered rain gloves that would do a good job as an over glove in cold weather. Three finger designs are actually really good at conserving finger warmth - the fingers stay together and share their heat instead of loosing it while separated.

Hope those thoughts help give you some ideas to pursue.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

The nitrile gloves under the outer leather gloves really help! That and/or the cheap heated grip strips and the bargain basement fabric muffs allow me relative comfort for my 20-minute commute. It's the ice and snow that are killing me (and preventing me from testing my ultimate solution) these past few weeks!
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
Vic

Post by Vic »

You mentioned that your dexterity was limited by all of your hand protection. I wonder if you had so much on that you restricted the circulation to your fingertips.
Excellent bloodflow is imperative to keeping your body warm. If you put so many layers on that you constrict your fingers then you are going to make it so that the warm blood can't get to your fingertips and this defeats all of your efforts.
You might try getting a larger size winter glove to allow for the liners, or even a man's glove to permit additional room around the palms and each finger for the liners.
A trick that I used when backpacking was to put warmers at my wrist which helped to keep the blood flowing into my hands to keep 'em warm. Make sure you use a glove that will protect your wrists also.
Remember, it is not only the fabric that keeps your hands warm, but the dead air space inside the gloves.
You might also try some of the various gizmos out there that allow you to control your scooter while keeping your fingers straight. I use a Crampbuster and rest my fingers on top of my brake levers, this helps provide for maximum blood flow and to keep my gloves as full of warm air as possible. Crampbusters, Throttle Rockers and such take some getting used to and fine tuning to figure out the prefect spot (Crampbuster is adjustable as you are moving, that is why I like it the best), but I have a hard time riding without it now.
Cheers!
-v
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

Gerbing heated gloves. I love them. Love them. LOVE them.
Scooter Commuter
pyrocpu

Post by pyrocpu »

Thanks for all the responses.

Bluebuddygirl--plastic bags around gloves, while functional, I cannot do. I just do not have enough trust in myself to not have my gloved hands slip around in the bag and get myself into a wreck! :(

Lostmycage--Yeah, I went w/ the Aquasports since it was only like $21/pair. Thought I'd give them a shot. Perhaps they are better for wet riding only. :(
I had actually looked at the WBW page to get the Aquasports, figuring that they'd be better than my summer gloves. Perhaps I'll just have to get a pair of Helds or RevIts. Kinda pricey though, no?

Vic--gloves I have are a size and a half too big, really. I bought once size bigger to allow for the silk glove liners. It's still a size too big, the more likely cause of lack of dexterity. Already a man; bought the man gloves. ;)
Crampbuster I'm already using. It was actually kinduva pain to install the hand covers over the Crampbuster (I didn't want to move my setting) and over the grip. Love it; won't ride w/o one.

Sunshinen--heated gloves or heated grips. No faith in the Buddy's electrical system to drive anything more than a cell phone charger. Can anyone attest to any detrimental effects of running heated accessories?
Update: "Bought the motorcycle, still have the Blackjack... wife wants me to sell Blackjack..."

rickko

Post by rickko »

Have you tried ski gloves that are labeled windproof? People ski down mountains in below freezing weather all day long as fast as you'll go on city streets while keeping their hands warm.

This company makes some nice ones: Grandoe. 100 years in the business. Found at most large sporting goods stores. 5-finger type, possibly a bit bulky but manageable. The more you wear them the more they break in. Leather palms so you don't wear 'em out. Maybe a little pricey but you are looking for warmth, right, and you can always return them if you aren't happy with them. And, they have zipper pockets for heat warmers when the weather is severe.

Google Grandoe windproof gloves to check 'em out. They have styles/sizes for men or women. They are windproof and waterproof making them nice for rainy days too. I've had mine for quite a few years. I have no connection to the company other than to use their product.

..rickko..
Ride it like you enjoy it!
MB member #2568
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

pyrocpu wrote: Lostmycage--Yeah, I went w/ the Aquasports since it was only like $21/pair. Thought I'd give them a shot. Perhaps they are better for wet riding only. :(
I had actually looked at the WBW page to get the Aquasports, figuring that they'd be better than my summer gloves. Perhaps I'll just have to get a pair of Helds or RevIts. Kinda pricey though, no?
Sounds like you got a pretty decent price on some nice rain gloves.

I'll let you know about the Rev'it Gloves soon. I really liked the one pair I had, with the exception of an odd stitching defect. They're being replaced, hopefully this week.

If those don't do the trick, I'm going to switch to heated gloves. The only problem I have with most heated gloves is that they don't seem to have much armor in them, just padding. Maybe I need to find some heated glove liners.

$$$ just goin out the window it seems. Those who think they are saving money by scooting are lying to themselves. It's still fun as hell, though. :D
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

pyrocpu wrote:Thanks for all the responses.
Sunshinen--heated gloves or heated grips. No faith in the Buddy's electrical system to drive anything more than a cell phone charger. Can anyone attest to any detrimental effects of running heated accessories?
It was sunshinen that convinced me to get heated gloves. Last year she came in on every cold weather thread and stated simply 'heated gloves'. Santa brought a pair of Gerbings Hybrid gloves. They run on a rechargeable lithium battery or you can connect to the bike's battery. On the scoots I run them on the glove battery and they've been great. They're spendy; Santa was really generous this year. Now, if only the snow will melt and I can ride again.
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Lostmycage wrote: I'll let you know about the Rev'it Gloves soon. I really liked the one pair I had, with the exception of an odd stitching defect. They're being replaced, hopefully this week.
I really like my Rev'Its (the Fahrenheit H20 model), but they really don't keep my hands warm when it gets into the 30s. The armour is great on them, they're really comfy for 40 and above, and they're good in the rain. They're also spendy, but you can find them lightly used on other forums for a reasonable price.
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

GLOVES. The heat is then right next to your skin and the wires go down to the tips. (To be fair, I have never tried the grips.)

I rode with them for 2 winters with no problems. Never had to charge the battery. Never had to kick start. Never blown a fuse, etc.

That said, my scooter isn't working at the moment, and it's battery related. I had symptoms of a faulty connection — there would be nothing one start attempt, then it would start completely normal the next second. One day, it just wouldn't start. I took the battery in and charged it, and when I hooked it back up, nothing happened when I tried to start. BUT I have now realized that I'm missing one of the nuts on the battery. So it may be just the connection and not actually a dead battery. Either way, I don't really blame the gloves.

I now have a 3-mile commute and haven't done any rides longer than that in ... an embarrassingly long time as I have a nice little microcosm where everything I need is really close by... So in this level of cold, my rides are not really enough to recharge the battery. Plus it has sat for long periods outside in fairly severe cold as I've been out of town a lot this winter. The drain of the gloves, I'm sure, didn't help, but as I said, I used them for 2 winters with no problems.
Scooter Commuter
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

That last post probably doesn't explain why I love the heated gloves so much. I could do 3 miles easily without them.

But when I first got them, I was getting my masters in night classes. It was a 30-40 minute ride home, sometimes in the teens and 20s, and the heated gloves kept my hands as cozy as if they were in front of a roaring fire.

I would compare the joy of having them to being a child and coming in from a hard day's playing in the snow to a steaming cup of rich hot cocoa made with fresh whole milk and marshmallows.
Scooter Commuter
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

sunshinen wrote:I would compare the joy of having them to being a child and coming in from a hard day's playing in the snow to a steaming cup of rich hot cocoa made with fresh whole milk and marshmallows.
And this is why I took your advice.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

I have to agree with the wind issue. Keeping your hands protected from the cold air as you move is imperative to letting your gloves do their job.

You mention that you already have hand covers from Scooterworks? If this is the case and you are still having trouble, you may just need to accept the fact that you need heated gear.

I ride year round in Denver (but not lately 'cause the freakin' ice won't melt off some of the roads I take!) and I have some home-made bar muffs and use Oxford Heaterz. The Heaterz do take a toll on your electrical system if you run them on high but they switch off when the charge in your battery goes below a pre-set level. This keeps power in your battery but prevents you from using the heated grips. I run them on low or medium so that I don't drain my battery too bad and I just accept the fact that I need to hook up to the tender frequently during cold months.

I also just got the Firstgear TPG Glacier gloves but have not had the chance to try them. They sure are supple!
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Cold fingertips are a heckuva thing! I've tried a lot of possible solutions. My biggest problem with winter gloves is the puffiness factor. My hands are size Small to Extra Small, so there's not a lot of room for insulation.

I have the Corazzo Winter Gauntlet Glove, and it's pretty good as long as it's not too windy out or you're not going faster than say, 40mph. I'd pair 'em with silk glove liners on the coldest & windiest days, but my fingertips would still be frozen by the time I got to work (20-30 minute city riding).

I found some cheap battery-operated heated gloves, and they worked okeh, but they're puffier and there's no leather or kevlar armor involved as they're not intended for riding. Another bummer is they require a D-cell battery in each glove, which is heavy & ungainly to say the least. Who keeps D batteries around, anyway? Better to use a pair of AAs, hmph.

I bought some Tourmaster "Elite" gauntlets during Philadelphia Scooters holiday party/sale last month. I waited until the sale because these suckers retail for $109, which is over twice what I've paid for gloves in the past. But, ya know, I'm tired of being scared I have frostbite. I tried them out for the first time this morning at 25F. My fingers didn't feel cold AT ALL, which is a first. I'll keep y'all posted on how they fare during the REAL cold snaps (heh).
ModBud #442
rajron

Post by rajron »

There is a thread on hand guards, check it out. I think they help much as a windshield does, the guards shield the cold blast directly against the gloves allowing the thermal properties to work better.
pyrocpu

Post by pyrocpu »

Gerbings Hybrid gloves--love it!
$300--hate it! That's like 10% of the cost of my scoot! Egads!

I do hear a lot about the Tourmaster Elites. If they're good for a 30-min ride in 20-25F weather I might have to give those a go then.

The bummer as someone mentioned is the time to gear up/gear down!

KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Yeah like others said, when adding a liner to your gloves if you're compressing the insulation you're defeating it's purpose by eliminating the insulating air space.
I've been wearing millitary issue D-3A type gloves with the wool liners, WOOL is your best insulator even when wet! Try the nitrlite(sp) or latex exam gloves OVER the liner UNDER the shell, adds to the wind resistance, wind is truely the enemy. This has been working for me, remember also, my hands are ALWAYS cold even in the summer!!
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

pyrocpu wrote:Gerbings Hybrid gloves--love it!
$300--hate it! That's like 10% of the cost of my scoot! Egads!

I do hear a lot about the Tourmaster Elites. If they're good for a 30-min ride in 20-25F weather I might have to give those a go then.

The bummer as someone mentioned is the time to gear up/gear down!
Which model are you looking at? The hybrid gloves that I saw from Gerbings was $199. Still a lot of money and I'd really like to see some impact protection. Am I missing a model?
farrellcollie

Post by farrellcollie »

"The hybrid gloves that I saw from Gerbings was $199"

The batteries themselves are another $99. From the site:
"Includes vehicle battery harness and Y-harness. Two 12 V batteries and a charger are optional."
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

farrellcollie wrote:"The hybrid gloves that I saw from Gerbings was $199"

The batteries themselves are another $99. From the site:
"Includes vehicle battery harness and Y-harness. Two 12 V batteries and a charger are optional."
Ha, wow! That's not cool at all.

Well, now I have two reasons not to buy them. No impact protection and that crappy piecemeal purchase system that I absolutely hate. If I buy something because it has Feature A, B and C, I want to be able to use them out of the box.
kneil67@yahoo.com

Post by kneil67@yahoo.com »

I have yet to find some gloves that protect from the wind but I have found that grabber warmers work pretty well just put them in your gloves or boots. some will heat for 7 hours some 10 I found mine for a buck a pair

check out warmers.com good luck to all the cold weather riders

67kneil youtube
pyrocpu

Post by pyrocpu »

One big boon to the $300 Gerbing Hybrid solution is purely for other, non-scoot/MC purposes where one would be hanging out a lot outdoors. Tailgating/football games come to mind... ummm... having a lot of difficulty justifying why I'd be hanging around outside in below-freezing temps...

While I'm aversive to the handguards on aesthetics and PITA to mount (it looks like), I suppose it's only $20 or so...

I'm from Southern California, now living in Middle TN. On the face of principle alone, I detest the idea of buying an asset (scooter) that I can use only part of the year. Seems wasteful. Naturally, the only way to combat this is to buy ever-increasing gear to ride year-round! :D

sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

It is, in fact, not ever increasing. At some point, you finally have (or at least, I found I had) everything you really need, sell off the stuff you thought you needed but don't, and are good to go ... at least till what you have wears out.
Scooter Commuter
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

pyrocpu wrote: I'm from Southern California, now living in Middle TN. On the face of principle alone, I detest the idea of buying an asset (scooter) that I can use only part of the year. Seems wasteful. Naturally, the only way to combat this is to buy ever-increasing gear to ride year-round! :D
All the gear in the world will not protect against icy roads, and by that principle I shouldn't even own a car because there are days that I won't drive because of the weather. Around here there are occasionally days when the weather is severe enough that all roads are closed. Not to mention the fact that the months that I ride the scooter, I save enough to pay for it and beyond on gas alone. Just saying, you need to be careful before calling a HUGE portion of this forum "wasteful".
pyrocpu

Post by pyrocpu »

Hey now, no need to get all testy. My point was, for any asset I procure, I like to get as much use of it as possible. Whatever anyone else does is their own business!

Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

HOLY CRAP that was cold. :shock: In the mid- to lower-20's...I resigned to being stuck at home yesterday when it was 'teens.
Truck's in the shop with a bad starter and the project motorcycle is still just that. The scooter's proving to be the most reliable transport. Days like today I'm really glad I got it. 8) I was pleading with and then cursing the truck all day yesterday and again today after paying $75 to have it towed a little over a mile to the mechanic.

That said, half an hour twice riding at 45-55 mph is NOT FUN. My fingers, pinkies first then inward, went from cold to painful to numb. A couple minutes under lukewarm water and I could feel again, then 5 minutes holding a cup of hot water (not directly IN hot water) to get me back through the painful stage and I'm back to normal. I think if I had to ride longer distances, I'd plan in an extra 30 minutes to an hour for stops at convenience stores for hot chocolate or coffee just to have a cup of something warm to keep from getting to the numb stage again. After the numb stage is where frostbite starts looming!

School starts back next week. I'm looking forward to having metal shop access again. All this cold weather is giving me some accessory ideas.
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

pyrocpu wrote:Hey now, no need to get all testy. My point was, for any asset I procure, I like to get as much use of it as possible. Whatever anyone else does is their own business!
I know where you're coming from. I start getting grumpy with equipment if I think it's not "pulling its own weight." :lol: Bugs me to have something just gathering dust. I've been going through stuff the past couple weeks, rearranging and cleaning up the studio and garage. I've realized it's about time for a yard sale this spring. How does it all creep in here, anyway?
pyrocpu

Post by pyrocpu »

Cheshire wrote:
pyrocpu wrote:Hey now, no need to get all testy. My point was, for any asset I procure, I like to get as much use of it as possible. Whatever anyone else does is their own business!
I know where you're coming from. I start getting grumpy with equipment if I think it's not "pulling its own weight." :lol: Bugs me to have something just gathering dust. I've been going through stuff the past couple weeks, rearranging and cleaning up the studio and garage. I've realized it's about time for a yard sale this spring. How does it all creep in here, anyway?
Probably since you and I are both packrats. :wink:

Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

pyrocpu wrote:
Cheshire wrote:
:lol: I'm getting better. (Think I'll go for a walk. Happy! I feel happy!)
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

Sorry, not really testy, although a little defensive, I think since I stopped riding earlier than usual this year. Been a real cold weather wimp. Funny because we had a rather mild Fall, but it dropped really early on, from 70's to 30's in one week. Now we are covered with snow and have been for weeks, so there is no way to ride at the moment, having a hard enough time walking without wiping out. Dogs love it though.
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

This calls for drastic measures.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/l7Nb4voFm30&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/l7Nb4voFm30&hl ... fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

so as a born and bred alaskan I know this about keeping your hands warm: all your fingers have to stick together like close knit friends sharing a single sleeping bag: mittens. There's not a glove alive (and glove means all fingers have separate space) that will keep your finger tips warm in cold, cold conditions.

yep, cutting circulation will worsen the situation. too bulky can also mean difficult to manage the throttle and brake. The one thing I'd warn about non-motorcycle gloves is they may be too slippery on the palm if not designed for the purpose of pulling a throttle.

you'd just need wind/waterproof mittens - they wouldn't need to be thick and perhaps a silk lining. Another think to note is if you put them on cold hands, hands usually stay cold. So put them on BEFORE you go outside.

There are places as cold as Fairbanks, AK like Northern North Dakota or Northern Minnesota. I swear Chicago at 0degreesF feels colder than Fairbanks at -50F. But yep, gloves are anti-helpful in cold conditions because your digits are isolated.
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Lostmycage wrote:The batteries themselves are another $99. From the site:

Ha, wow! That's not cool at all.

Well, now I have two reasons not to buy them. No impact protection and that crappy piecemeal purchase system that I absolutely hate. If I buy something because it has Feature A, B and C, I want to be able to use them out of the box.
The reason the batteries are separate is because you don't need them for the gloves to work. A lot of people have the electric jacket liner and the gloves can plug into that, eliminating the need for the battery pack. Plus, the battery pack will wear out and have to be replaced so it's a separate item.

The piecemeal system works because you can order just the gloves, or a jacket liner, pants, socks. A temp controller or not. I think they do a good job on their site letting you know everything you could get, but might not need depending on your set-up.

I don't know where you got that there is no crash protection. They're made from thick, high-quality leather, your friend in a crash. The testimonials I've read from people going down at unbelievable speeds and still have their hands to type with attest to the quality.

Gerbings has been part of motorcycling for years. They're also an American company that employs quite a few people in Washington state.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

I get the whole batteries sold separately thing, I just don't like it. To me, if something is battery powered (by proprietary batteries) then the batteries should come with it.

When I said impact protection, I meant the armor plating/skid plates, etc. Leather's great for abrasion, no doubt about it and I wasn't saying that it didn't.

I'm just irritated that they cost so damned much and I'm still considering getting them, despite my best efforts to talk myself out of it.
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

Cheshire,
:shock: :goofy: :clap:
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

Cheshire wrote:
pyrocpu wrote:
Cheshire wrote: I know where you're coming from. I start getting grumpy with equipment if I think it's not "pulling its own weight." :lol: Bugs me to have something just gathering dust. I've been going through stuff the past couple weeks, rearranging and cleaning up the studio and garage. I've realized it's about time for a yard sale this spring. How does it all creep in here, anyway?
:+!: I've been having the Veterans Association pick up a bag of stuff every month for a year... and I still have too much crap. How? Where does it come from?
:lol: I'm getting better. (Think I'll go for a walk. Happy! I feel happy!)
"No you're not. You'll be stone dead in a moment."
Scooter Commuter
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

Cheshire wrote:That said, half an hour twice riding at 45-55 mph is NOT FUN. My fingers, pinkies first then inward, went from cold to painful to numb. A couple minutes under lukewarm water and I could feel again, then 5 minutes holding a cup of hot water (not directly IN hot water) to get me back through the painful stage and I'm back to normal.
This is exactly why I have heated gloves! Santa was worried I was going to get permanent frostbite.
Scooter Commuter
pyrocpu

Post by pyrocpu »

Question is, what gloves does Santa use? He must spend hours in the air at speeds at least scooter-speed (though some postulate he moves closer to the speed of sound, delivering to so many children in the world).

siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Lostmycage wrote:I get the whole batteries sold separately thing, I just don't like it. To me, if something is battery powered (by proprietary batteries) then the batteries should come with it.

When I said impact protection, I meant the armor plating/skid plates, etc. Leather's great for abrasion, no doubt about it and I wasn't saying that it didn't.

I'm just irritated that they cost so damned much and I'm still considering getting them, despite my best efforts to talk myself out of it.
So this morning I suited up and rode in because the streets were fairly clear of ice and I gotta tell you, when I pulled onto campus and parked, I thought to myself, why did I wait so long to get these things? I agree, they're insanely expensive, but think of how much you'll save because you aren't trying other things first. And if you hop on over to ADV, you might find a pair for cheap (I just watched a pair of the hybrids go for $195 instead of $300). I've also seen the regular ones go for really fair prices and if you're using them on the Scarabeo, that battery can easily take the drain. Right, you're the one who got the 'beo?

Anyway, I'm loving them, and I'm very grateful to the double-teamed Santa who gave them to me.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

siobhan wrote: So this morning I suited up and rode in because the streets were fairly clear of ice and I gotta tell you, when I pulled onto campus and parked, I thought to myself, why did I wait so long to get these things? I agree, they're insanely expensive, but think of how much you'll save because you aren't trying other things first. And if you hop on over to ADV, you might find a pair for cheap (I just watched a pair of the hybrids go for $195 instead of $300). I've also seen the regular ones go for really fair prices and if you're using them on the Scarabeo, that battery can easily take the drain. Right, you're the one who got the 'beo?

Anyway, I'm loving them, and I'm very grateful to the double-teamed Santa who gave them to me.
Yeah, that's my new ride. It also throws one of the old arguments I had with myself for not getting heated gloves. The Blur has a little worse of a rep for draining the battery. I'm pretty sure you're right about the Beo.

You're determined to convince me to part with my money, aren't you? With the utmost respect, damn you. :)
iwabj

Post by iwabj »

oops
Last edited by iwabj on Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

From Siobhan: It was sunshinen that convinced me to get heated gloves. Last year she came in on every cold weather thread and stated simply 'heated gloves'. Santa brought a pair of Gerbings Hybrid gloves. They run on a rechargeable lithium battery or you can connect to the bike's battery. On the scoots I run them on the glove battery and they've been great. They're spendy; Santa was really generous this year. Now, if only the snow will melt and I can ride again.
I just clicked on the link and they look pretty neat. Where do you put the batteries when you are using them? Is there a pocket on the glove, a long cord to the batteries (didn't look like it...), or...?

Also, how long does it take to recharge a battery? Looks like you can only recharge one at a time? (only one battery charger?)

Do they warm your finger tips also, or just the main part of your hand?

I have Reynauds, so sometimes I have issues with my fingertips turning white on me, though I finally figured out this year that if I wear a thick scarf around my neck, that keeps enough warmth in that although my hands still get cold, my finger tips don't turn white. (works for me, at least...) Unfortunately, it doesn't work too good on the scooter though, 'cause if you have a thick scarf on, then put your helmet on you can barely turn your head! :roll:
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
KABarash

Re: I just want my fingertips to stay warm!

Post by KABarash »

michelle_7728 wrote:I have Reynauds, so sometimes I have issues with my fingertips turning white on me,
I have the same issue, My hands will get cold in July!
A neck gator works and doesn't impeede movement for me. And using the 'thumb holes' in my long underwear tops will keep my wrists covered and AMAZINGLY that little bit makes a HUGE difference!
siobhan

Re: I just want my fingertips to stay warm!

Post by siobhan »

michelle_7728 wrote:
From Siobhan: It was sunshinen that convinced me to get heated gloves. Last year she came in on every cold weather thread and stated simply 'heated gloves'. Santa brought a pair of Gerbings Hybrid gloves. They run on a rechargeable lithium battery or you can connect to the bike's battery. On the scoots I run them on the glove battery and they've been great. They're spendy; Santa was really generous this year. Now, if only the snow will melt and I can ride again.
I just clicked on the link and they look pretty neat. Where do you put the batteries when you are using them? Is there a pocket on the glove, a long cord to the batteries (didn't look like it...), or...?

Also, how long does it take to recharge a battery? Looks like you can only recharge one at a time? (only one battery charger?)

Do they warm your finger tips also, or just the main part of your hand?

I have Reynauds, so sometimes I have issues with my fingertips turning white on me, though I finally figured out this year that if I wear a thick scarf around my neck, that keeps enough warmth in that although my hands still get cold, my finger tips don't turn white. (works for me, at least...) Unfortunately, it doesn't work too good on the scooter though, 'cause if you have a thick scarf on, then put your helmet on you can barely turn your head! :roll:
Hey michelle,
I'm sorry about the Reynaulds! I wear Wristies at work and get asked often if I do...I have issues from being a computer geek.

The batteries sit inside a zip pocket on the outside of the gloves. I can recharge both at the same time with the recharger (less than an hour each night after riding about 50 minutes). The cool thing about the zip pocket on the gloves is that you can peer through to turn them on and see what setting (HML) you've set them to (window!). I had them on Medium the other night; it was about 35F on the way home and I was toooooasty.

I don't work for Gerbings, but I just had some neighbors over and I'm hooting and hollering about how wonderful these things are (for snowblowing). It gets cold here in New England.
Rob

Post by Rob »

A quick, cheap and fairly easy way is to use the chemical reaction handwarmer packets. They are available from most sporting goods/outdoor stores and usually fit well in gloves. While they don't fit individually into the fingers, they do a good job of keeping the hand warm.
I've used them for years while snowmobiling, ATV'ing, this year while riding the bike, and ice fishing and my hands and fingers have stayed warm.

They are usually about a buck a piece, although you can get them a little cheaper in the spring time. They are easy enough to store and haul and thus they are handy when you need them.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
michelle_7728

I just want my fingertips to stay warm

Post by michelle_7728 »

Regarding handwarmers...Costco had them on sale a couple years ago and I bought a couple boxes of them...then found they don't work for me. Once my finger tips decide to start turning white, they are going to turn white...unless I can dip them in warm water immediately, or keep them in front of a car vent heater on full for half of my 30 minute commute home. For a while I was carrying a hot water thermos with me in my car to dip my fingers in...can't really do that on a scooter. :(

So now we have 2 boxes of the hand warmers...they DO work for my husband, so at least they aren't going to waste! :P

Here's the really bizarre thing--it can be as warm as mid 60s and it can happen!

I think, in my case, I have determined there is something else going on (with Raynauds). Warm gloves (even mittens) typically do nothing for me, but if I keep my neck warm my hands can be ice cold and my finger tips never turn white. I'm talking about just being outside--being on a scooter, even the warm neck isn't always enough. I know that you lose most of your core temperature through your head, but with the air coming right at you (as on a scooter) it's a different ballgame. I've riden with a scarf AND the scooter mitts AND warm winter riding gloves and still get a couple of white finger tips (imagine about an inch of a couple of your fingertips literally being as white as the end of your fingernails...NOT fun). :(

But I keep trying new things and maybe one day I'll find a combination that works for me, like maybe the heated gloves, AND the scooter mitts AND my scarf...? Hmmm, maybe worth a try! :)

Does the wire go down each finger to warm them individually, or does it heat the palm of the hand and that radiates out?

Thanks for the info BTW!
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

michelle_7728, if a scarf helps that much, check into a good balaclava. Those go a long way for keeping my head warm in the winter, it might help your fingers, but it'll definitely help your head.
michelle_7728

I just want my fingertips to stay warm

Post by michelle_7728 »

Lost my cage:

Believe me--I have thought about it. The thing stopping me is thinking that if I think that the helmet gives me a bad hair day, wearing one of those would only add insult to injury! Ah, "Vanity, thy name is woman..." :P