Grace & The Art of Scooter Maintenance

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

lobsterman

Grace & The Art of Scooter Maintenance

Post by lobsterman »

or, perhaps Stebel 101

On the way home tonight, I had the opportunity to make use of my very nice and loud Stebel air horn.

A pickup truck was backing out of a driveway on a hilly and curvy back street I like to take on my commute. It's not a high traffic zone, so he probably was not watching for a scooter blasting (at the speed limit) up his hill.

I thought to myself, "self, this may in fact be a perfect opportunity to make your presence known with that nifty Stebel Nautilus Air Horn you've installed."

So, I confidently pressed the shiny candy like yellow button on the left, and... nothing happened. Not so much as a wheeze or a whimper. I slowed down considerably, now more humble than a few moments previous.

When I got home, I asked my 8 year old daughter Grace if she would help me fix the horn on my scooter, since she's very cool and she likes to help her old man. She of course said yes. In the garage she said to me "I can see myself riding a scooter some day", and I agreed.

I was pretty sure I knew what happened, one of the wire end connector thingys fell off the horn connector thingy. Grace applied her highly technical mantra "lefty loosey, righty tighty" to remove the single large screw on the front, and I did the rest.

I was right, the red wire was not connected to the horn. May have had something to do with me applying tie down thingys to the loose wires under the floorboard yesterday. In fact, I would bet good money on it. I spent several minutes looking for the pesky critter and right before I was about to give up and start removing plastic parts, I found it, tightened it up a little, and reconnected it where it belonged. A little electrical tape to prevent too much movement to shake it loose again.

Grace had the honor of doing the live test to confirm horn operation, she nearly leapt from the scooter when it sounded. We then put the front cover back on, Grace put back the main screw "righty tighty", I did the two little ones, and we were done.

I kinda like working on my scooter with Grace. :D

Oh, one more thing: you know how they recommend testing the controls on your bike before you ride? Maybe there is something to that.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

:)

Thanks for sharing this story
scullyfu

Post by scullyfu »

way to go, daddio! ;)
WE'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!!! Starbuck, BSG
SteMer

Post by SteMer »

Well done, Grace! I'm sure she loved helping Daddy with his scooter. Good job, Pops.
Bryce-O-Rama

Post by Bryce-O-Rama »

You didn't test the horn before riding? Man, if I installed a Stebel I would be blasting it all the time just for kicks. That's great that you're getting good help around the garage and spending some time with your kid.
- Bryce
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

Bryce-O-Rama wrote:You didn't test the horn before riding? Man, if I installed a Stebel I would be blasting it all the time just for kicks.
Got out of the habit of testing it before the ride, since my family is often still asleep when I leave in the morning and the horn is very loud. Wakes up the whole neighborhood. I could test it in the parking garage before I head back home (lots of concrete for good echo), and maybe will now. :?

I did blast it quite a bit, just for kicks, during the WKRP Rally right after I installed it. At one rest break I had a little contest with AxeYrCat and his Hella Big Red, the two horns had different pitch but were roughly the same volume. I understand he has since installed a second Hella Big Red and would no doubt be louder now. :shock:
Kevin
AYPWIP?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Scootering has made me increasingly militant about bad and clueless drivers... I often use my horn as a means of saying, "Hey, jackass, pay attention!" even when a collision is not imminent. I'm looking forward to installing a Stebel so I can interrupt cell phone calls and lousy cranked up dance beats.

Oof, I sound like a cranky old man. "You kids quit playing on my lawn!"

BTW, I have found PosiLock connectors at my local Kragen auto parts store and in a "sampler pack" at Harbor Freight. Keeps those wire connections tight!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Awwww! This post reminds me of when I would help my dad around the garage. We had two Renault LeCars. :D
ModBud #442
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

polianarchy wrote:Awwww! This post reminds me of when I would help my dad around the garage. We had two Renault LeCars. :D
So you two were probably in there pretty often, hm? ;)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
iheartsf

Post by iheartsf »

yaaay for good dads :) I bet Grace already has tons of awesome memories... keep up the great work!
bamboo

renault la car?

Post by bamboo »

We had a la car when I was a teenager learning to drive. I loved that thing. I love my buddy even more! Maybe its the euro thing that links fun cheap transport from the 80's with fun cheap transport from the 00's. \\
bammboo
Bamboo
Always state the obvious.