women who commute on their scooter: what to wear?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

meldot

women who commute on their scooter: what to wear?

Post by meldot »

hi!

our office has a "business casual" dress code. I'm trying to figure out what to wear on my commute-I've been thinking jeans on the bottom and whatever top for the day (with a jacket over) and then I'd just change into a skirt or whatever.

Do you wear a totally different outfit while scooting and then do a total change? Or do you wear some sort of mix of work clothes and scooting gear?
sherides

Post by sherides »

As a freelancer, I have a variety of dress codes to contend with, but most are from "business casual" downward. I tend to wear whatever top I plan to wear for the day, with any necessary layering and jacket on top. On the bottom I usually wear jeans or whatever pants, and now that it's cold, I use ski pants with zippers at the bottom over them. That way I can just slip the ski pants off when I get where I'm going. If I want to swap shoes, I just pack them along.
Vic

Post by Vic »

I am fortunate that our usual dress code is casual. We sometimes have what our management call "dress for your day" days (apparently we don't need to dress the other days-who knew?!)
Anyway, when I need to wear something nice I find it easiest to wear a skirt so I can wear jeans underneath. Then, it is just a matter of slipping the jeans off and changing my shoes and I am ready to go. I have a backpack that I pack stuff in and it holds my gear nicely also (so I am not lugging it all over the office or trying to squirrel it away in my cubicle).
When I wear pants to the office I tend to just wear them on my scooter and be done with it. I want to get some armored pants at some point, that will be safer. I toss a change of shoes into my backpack for once I get there.
As far as fabrics, I go for those that either don't wrinkle or that hide the wrinkles through textures or patterns. This means I don't wear the light, flowy, real silk blouses I used to love. By the time I arrive they would look like I had wadded them up in a corner of the closet for a month before putting them on. I also don't tend to have a lot of luck with linen or cottons, for the same reason. Patterns are also great for hiding the wrinkles.
We are currently having temps of zero degrees with wind chills in the negatives and snow/ice on the ground. I also have my arm in a sling with a bad rotator cuff. Basically, I am stuck in the cage for now.
Another piece of gear that helps a lot is a scooter skirt-I have been known to wear a skirt with my scooter skirt over top and be just fine.
Cheers,
-v
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

When I wear pants I put the chaps over them.
If they were really stuffy at work (and they're not), I'd pull the chaps off by the scoot and tuck them and the boots under the seat, and pop into the heels. Actually it's the helmet hair that's the big problem, and I get by with headbands.

When I wear a skirt I pack that separately and once inside do a quick change from whatever pants I was wearing under the chaps. If they are stuffy, well, the pants would be some sort of frumpy business slacks, and I'd stow the jacket as well.

I understand how some people could get freaked out by a person walking around all leathered up. Like everything, it depends on your office. Heck, tomorrow I'm going to have to put on makeup again. Gaack.

In the past I have scooted in a short skirt and 4 inch heels.
That is all behind me. It is just too easy to grind a layer off.
Det finns inte dåligt väder bara dåliga kläder.
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

I just wear leggings under my skirt with the "something is better than nothing" theory. Not abrasion proof and it's only going to take one crash to learn me good. I also wore sandals all summer and decided after a broken toe in an accident that shoes minimally and boots ideally need to be worn.

changing your clothes once you get there isn't a bad idea. I just would think it would looked upon as "good" walking through my lobby dressed inappropriately. We have a onsite gym so I'd change in there I suppose.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

My office is generally biz casual and I can get away with jeans sometimes. But I have to go to court also and this is very conservative. Since my office is not at the court, I cannot change. I wear business pants/suits with heavy boots. Lol. I do see some eyes drift to my feet, especially in the summer. Not suprisingly my clients with developmental disabilities are more clever than attorneys and judges and know I am on 2 wheels b/c of the jacket.
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

I wear full gear. I have armoured motorcycle pants that I wear over dress pants (moto pants are quite adjustable in the waist). If I'm wearing a skirt or dress, I'll pull the pants on underneath and let the skirt flow in the wind (always elicits smiles from other drivers). If it's a pencil skirt, I'll fold it neatly and change in my office. I will usually wear a suit jacket under my riding jacket, unless it's summer and then I fold that as well and change because it gets too hot. I wear moto boots and either bring my shoes or slip into one of the generic pairs I keep in my office.

My biggest problem is that I don't have a winter coat in my office so when I have to go to a different building (I'm on a campus where I'm in and out of different buildings a lot), I freeze because there is no way I'm roaming around wearing hi-viz. I take enough ribbing from my colleagues; I don't need it from the students ;)

Jeans and leggings are only protecting you from showing off your knickers.
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

My job is extremely casual as it sometimes involves crawling under desks and you don't want to do that in nice clothes. Still, I do need to compensate a bit. During the cold weather I wear something over my jeans; either rain pants, snow pants, or a pair of nylon sweatpants, depending on the temperature and conditions. I wear my riding jacket with a fleece jacket underneath, since it's not a lined jacket. I either bring along, or leave in my office, a change of shoes and a jacket for wearing around during the day, as I also do not want to walk around in my riding jacket. For helmet hair, it helps that my hair is short: I go into the restroom, get my hair wet, towel it off if I had to get it really wet, and then finger comb back into some semblance of style. For the past couple of months, with all of the swishy sounding gear, I can't sneak into my office. Everyone hears me coming.
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

I wear what I need to, riding pants, boots, jacket, and change when I get to work. The riding pants go over my other pants. Sometimes I wear my boots all day, but that depends on where and what I am teaching. I don't have a dress code at the college level, but the high school that I teach at does. I don't wear skirts, generally, so that is not an issue.
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

jijifer wrote:I just wear leggings under my skirt with the "something is better than nothing" theory. Not abrasion proof
Hee hee not at all. I learned that when running. I slipped and the leggings barely tore but my legs got shredded.
and it's only going to take one crash to learn me good.
Worked for me... except fortunately (and almost not that day) I was totally encased in gear and slid like a hockey puck. Ground down a knee of the chaps, the wrist snap on the jacket and whole lot of the knuckle armor of the armored gloves. My business clothes underneath it all were barely wrinkled!
Det finns inte dåligt väder bara dåliga kläder.
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

I keep girly shoes in my office and ride in boots. Often, I just stay in the boots all day, though. My office isn't too picky.

I wear jeans or thick work pants. Occasionally I'll change into a skirt at the office. When it's cold I wear long johns or windproof leggings for cycling under my pants.

I wear whatever shirt I am wearing for the day.

Armored jacket.
Scooter Commuter
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

I can't fit into pret-a-porter armored pants or chaps or whatever, so I just wear street clothes. I try to wear boots as often as possible and keep a pair of plain business-casual shoes at work to wear around the library.

I've actually found leggings under a dress or skirt to be warmer than jeans. Go figure. I sincerely doubt my crappy stretch jeans (thanks for NUTHIN, Lane Bryant) would protect me much in a crash, so I kinda shrug at leggings.

I always wear a helmet, riding jacket, and riding gloves over my street clothes. I have massively big curly hair, so my helmet hair is ridiculous. I carry a small bottle of leave-in conditioning spray to touch it up as best as I can when I get to where I'm going.

However, I think the best accessory I have is a "WTF" attitude. I'd rather be riding my scooter than worrying about adhering to strict feminine beauty standards. That being said, I realize I have the luxury of never being able to conform to such, in any case!

Finally, may I recommend the Scooter Diva website & forum? http://scooterdiva.com/ It holds LOADS of information for women riders. Bonus: Ellen used to be a moderator here.
ModBud #442
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

polianarchy wrote:I've actually found leggings under a dress or skirt to be warmer than jeans.
Some guys on ModernVespa were actually saying that L'Eggs (under pants, I assume) insulate better than some thermals and cold weather apparel.

Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
dakotamouse

Post by dakotamouse »

I work in a testing lab with acids so I never wear nice cloths to work. I wear jeans, a tshirt, light leather jacket, helmet and gloves. Sometimes I feel bad about not wearing my boots but when I get to work I usually hit the floor running and don't want to take the time to change shoes.
Ride what you like so you'll love to ride!
Scooterist Extraordinaire!
Keys

Post by Keys »

ericalm wrote:Some guys on ModernVespa were actually saying that L'Eggs (under pants, I assume) insulate better than some thermals and cold weather apparel.
Football players and other guys who work outside in uber-cold weather have known that for years. I knew a bunch of guys in the logging industry when I was in the biz who wore them.

--Keys
"Life without music would Bb"
TVB

Post by TVB »

ericalm wrote:
polianarchy wrote:I've actually found leggings under a dress or skirt to be warmer than jeans.
Some guys on ModernVespa were actually saying that L'Eggs (under pants, I assume) insulate better than some thermals and cold weather apparel.
Back when I had the figure for it, I had Halloween costume that consisted of tights and a cape, worn under a suit (like a mild-mannered newspaper reporter might wear), and I can confirm that it was pretty warm, even after I took the coat, shirt, and pants off.
Vic

Post by Vic »

TVB wrote:
ericalm wrote:
Back when I had the figure for it, I had Halloween costume that consisted of tights and a cape, worn under a suit (like a mild-mannered newspaper reporter might wear), and I can confirm that it was pretty warm, even after I took the coat, shirt, and pants off.
Most pantyhose are made of nylon-the same stuff as they make windbreakers and such out of. Ask any lady wearing them in the middle of summer just how warm they are. Just don't get caught stealing your wife's brand new pair! :livid:

-v
meldot

Post by meldot »

poli-where in philly are you? i moved from philly to LA nearly a year ago and miss it terribly. (tho I enjoy the weather here)
brape

Post by brape »

I also wear jeans and my work top then change once I get into the office. On Fridays its jeans day anyway.

RE staying warm in the cold I where a pair of fleece lined jeans from cabelas and they are amazing at being warm. I sweat though a couple of my math classes because of them.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Keys wrote:
ericalm wrote:Some guys on ModernVespa were actually saying that L'Eggs (under pants, I assume) insulate better than some thermals and cold weather apparel.
Football players and other guys who work outside in uber-cold weather have known that for years. I knew a bunch of guys in the logging industry when I was in the biz who wore them.

--Keys
Joe Namouth made a name for himself wearing panty hose in the '70s
I've been wearing old hose for 30+ years! Put them on under the old wool longies I'm 'golden' to 30 below....
Flannel and fleece lined Kahkkis and Jeans have become my 'uniform' so to speak over the last several years, silk or silk weight poly-pro under them when riding is geat too. Of corse too damn much warm if you can't change or 'de-layer' when you get to work.
I 'swiped' my son's newest issue ECWS stuff for a ride the other day, I had a job interview and the car wouldn't start! I ended up with Kahakki lined fleece :lol: under Gore Tex pants..... 20* +/- the only place I was cold was my hands, but then again, they're cold in July!!!
redcass

Post by redcass »

If I'm going to wear a skirt, I pack it with me. I leave a few pairs of work shoes in my office, and always wear trouser socks/tights/pantyhose under my jeans. If it's a hot day, and I know I'll sweat a fair amount, I take more of my outfit along in my givi case. And my riding boots are pretty versatile, they're a nice pair of Harleys that look pretty professional with pants.

If I had the space I would leave more work outfits in my office.

In a pinch, I have worn spandex shorts under a skirt, but still with decent scooter-ific shoes.

I'll wear a dress and heels for a photo op, but not for day-to-day. :D
RedCass
NJSurfergirl

Post by NJSurfergirl »

To combat helmet head, i keep a travel sized hair dryer in my desk at work. I arrive a couple minutes early, run to the bathroom, and spritz my hair with water, just front or whatever got messed up. Helmet head is gone in less than 2 minutes.

Luckily I'm able to keep clothes in my office so I can wear whatever is suitable for the weather.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

i actually like helmet hair. I have a cow lick and wavy hair- and not the kind that is cool, but the kind that looks like a rats nest. I want my hair to be strait. The helmet sort of helps flatten things out. Now if this were the era of big hair, we would have a problem!
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

meldot wrote:poli-where in philly are you? i moved from philly to LA nearly a year ago and miss it terribly. (tho I enjoy the weather here)
LUCKYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!! I hate the weather here. I moved here seven years ago via Cotonou via NYC via Dallas via Puerto Rico. I'm a woman without a country, heh.

To answer your question, I live in South Philly after spending 4 years in Center City. I work in North Philly, and I used to go to school in West Philly. So, that doesn't really answer your question.

Welcome to Modern Buddy! :D
ModBud #442
bunny

Post by bunny »

Monday through Thursday: whatever my attire for the day and heels. Armored jacket over it. Helmet, of course.

Friday: jeans and riding boots. armored jacket over it. Helmet, again.

Always in my helmet and armored jacket. I ride in heels. I'm not going to jinx myself.

I wore knee high boots and capri slacks today.
Yes, it's fast. No, you can't ride it.

Animaetrix00

Post by Animaetrix00 »

I used to just wear jeans and whatever top for the day under my jacket/gloves/helmet/etc. And wore my boots with my werk shoes in the pet carrier.
chloefpuff

Post by chloefpuff »

bunny wrote: I wore knee high boots and capri slacks today.
Yep, one of my fave "riding to work" outfits. I feel like a total nimrod......
so tough, so pink
chloefpuff

Post by chloefpuff »

bunny wrote: I wore knee high boots and capri slacks today.
Yep, one of my fave "riding to work" outfits. I feel like a total nimrod......
so tough, so pink