SECURITY/LOCKS: Grip-Lock

Product reviews. Read-Only.

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

robotribe

SECURITY/LOCKS: Grip-Lock

Post by robotribe »

I mentioned product awhile back in another thread but hadn't had any significant usage time at that point. I've been using the Grip-Lock for a few months now and am very satisfied. It's not a complicated product: once unlocked, you squeeze the brake lever and clamp it over the lever and throttle. Click. Done. It comes with extra rubber pieces to get clamp around the throttle nice and tight while locked. Someone mentioned in the original post that it also works as a parking brake if you're in need of that kind of thing. The best thing is how fast and easy this is to use. Great for lazy folk, like me.
All that said, I think it's more of an effective theft deterant and not a complete security solution. However, outside of locking your scoot to tree or post with a big fat chain & lock, this is a solution as effective as disc locks and a cable lock through the chain loop under the Vespa or through the wheel spokes. Of course, if someone wanted your scoot that much, they'd get a buddy to help them scoop it up and throw it in the back of a pick-up.

Anyway, here's the short list:

PROS
• More visible than a disc lock so no chance of forgetting it's there
• Easier and faster to put on and take off than a cable lock -- no more crouching down to mess with the cable or chain
• Fits in the glove box
• Price is comparable to cable and disc locks
CONS
• none when compared to other solutions that offer similar security

Available for purchase here
ImageImageImage

NOTE: This review was cross posted from Modern Vespa was was originally written by robotribe.
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

Robotribe - a quick question. The keys look like the notorious Kryptonite pick-with-a-ballpoint-pen keys. Are they the same, or are they a completely different design?

thanks!

Crystal
lets_not_listen

Post by lets_not_listen »

they key is very similar, but the diameter of the key is slightly larger than a kryptonite. i guess it probably wouldn't stop a dedicated thief, but at least they couldn't use a standard bic.
-lnl
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

thank you, jkp!

Crystal
smokin_cannon

Post by smokin_cannon »

i just wanted to update this to note that these now come in diff colors--

http://www.grip-lock.com/
citybiker

What would happen if...

Post by citybiker »

Not to be a party pooper, but what would happen if a thief simply cut the brake wire with a pair of pliers? I think the brake would disengage...

I think also, for the less-intelligent thief, bolt cutters would also probably cut through the Buddy's brake lever as well..

For the price, a a disc lock ($12) might be a better option.
ScootingInTheRain
Location: Just North of Seattle, Just South of Mulletsylvania

brake wear

Post by ScootingInTheRain »

I doubt anyone will see this post, but is there a risk of excessive wear to the brake system/cable by using this lock for prolonged periods of time (work days)?

Thanks...

/I am thinking of a big long cable/chain through the wheels...
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

As I don't have a scooter [yet], I may be off on this, but if the brake system is anything like it's bicycle disc kin, the wear would be negligable, assuming you only pull in the lever as far as it takes to stop the wheel: not as far as you possibly can without snapping/bending something.

What kills the brake pads is braking in motion. This is what sands and grinds them down, not stopped application. No friction when you're standing still. :) As far as cable...I couldn't find out whether they're mechanical or fluid-base. As I only had mechanical discs, I don't remember whether the simple act of braking (pressurizing the fluid) while stopped will heat up the fluid or not. Mechanical, as long as you don't lock the lever cranked down as much as you can, your risk of cable stretch is minimal.
Doublecheck with your mechanic, of course.
greencountry

Post by greencountry »

Do these locks fit on the Buddy's ergonomic grips?

BTW, their 2008 model no longer has the cylindical key. It's got a different design. So no more pen-pickable locks.

Also, can anyone comment on their durability? A lock should be able to withstand a good amount of force IMO, like someone dropping it while using it or someone thinking they can just bang or pry it open easily (emphasis on "easily" -- I'm sure it's pryable with a jackhammer or susceptible to a bullet or something).
Libby317

Grip Lock? Crap Lock.

Post by Libby317 »

A word of caution...

I had one for a week... and lost the keys (didn't separate 'em, Doh!).
Lesson learned: one smack with a hammer (smack on the face of the key barrel) and the thing shattered and fell to the ground.

65 bucks later... (still got my scoot, though)
Xena

Post by Xena »

I bought one of these locks about 1 1/2 years ago so that people would SEE that there was a lock and hopefully stay away.

I never had an issue getting it on or off the handgrips. I find it easy to use and another good visual deterence.

In conjunction with this lock, I also use the Xena one sold on this forum in another thread.
genuinedealer2009

Post by genuinedealer2009 »

looks pretty useless- when people steal scooters here they [ick them up and put them in a van and drive away, so to be safe they have to be locked ot an immovable object
Libby317

Round key issue with Kryptonite and Griplock

Post by Libby317 »

lets_not_listen wrote:they key is very similar, but the diameter of the key is slightly larger than a kryptonite. i guess it probably wouldn't stop a dedicated thief, but at least they couldn't use a standard bic.
In fact, if you study the "standard BIC" entry method, you'll notice that the Kryptonite was picked by breaking the BIC (like when you used to chew it in school) and then fanning it out slightly. Fanning it out a little more is no problem to pick the Griplock, I know, I've tried it... ;)
greencountry

Post by greencountry »

genuinedealer2009 wrote:looks pretty useless- when people steal scooters here they [ick them up and put them in a van and drive away, so to be safe they have to be locked ot an immovable object
There are varying degrees of determination-to-steal. If someone wants to steal a scooter locked to an immovable object they can too, especially if we're talking overnight. I don't think the Grip Lock is trying to prevent that level of determination. I think of it as theft *deterrence*.

The ease of clamping on the Grip Lock means I'll use it all the time, even if darting away from the scoot to grab something in a store and come right back. The more involved the security, the less use it will get -- especially by my wife, who runs to meetings when she scoots and doesn't have time (or necessarily the strength) to hike the scoot up to a stationary object (which is usually up a curb).

@Libby317: the Grip Lock I got this year doesn't use the BIC-able lock. It's a similar lock to the one on the new Kryptonite cables.
mojobuddy70cc
Banned

i think this is good for a vespa

Post by mojobuddy70cc »

i bought mine for a 74-90 vespa it works well as there is no lock now,but if you back the buddy to a wall, curb or other tight area and grip-lock it and then do the front lock, it has to be picke dup and carried off.
those guys in the vns, pick-ups are pros, they have bolt cutters so if you are on the "nic-list" it gonzo for your buddy regaurdless. if you are a city messanger service it will work great for short stops, i`m a personal chef and this does really well as i `dont like having grease on my hands from cables, wheels, etc and getting clothes funky, other than food debris.
i like mine since it is visible and i have noticed folks streing at it like "good idea"
jacquinine

Griplock

Post by jacquinine »

:? Well I bought a griplock in August and now in December the lock is stuck on my bike as I cannot unlock the thing. So if any one is able to pick the lock with a bic Please tell me how!!!!!!!!!!!
ericalm
Site Admin

Re: Griplock

Post by ericalm »

jacquinine wrote: :? Well I bought a griplock in August and now in December the lock is stuck on my bike as I cannot unlock the thing. So if any one is able to pick the lock with a bic Please tell me how!!!!!!!!!!!
This only worked with certain Kryptonite locks which were redesigned years ago to prevent it from happening.

Do you have the keys? If so, start by trying to spray some WD40 in the lock mechanism. There are probably some other tips for a stuck lock around the Net.

Failing that, you'll need a locksmith or a shop that will saw it off for you.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
john-locksmith

HI

Post by john-locksmith »

and what happen if you forget or lose the keys of the lock
ericalm
Site Admin

Re: HI

Post by ericalm »

john-locksmith wrote:and what happen if you forget or lose the keys of the lock
That's an issue with any lock.

They usually provide more than one key. With my locks, I keep one with me, one in my house. The keys to my lock are on a ring with my scooter key. So if I'm on the scooter, I have the key to the lock. If I lose my keyring, I wasn't going to be able to ride anyways. :)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…