Need info from Texan folk!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

pugbuddy

Need info from Texan folk!

Post by pugbuddy »

Hello all,

We'll be scooting down from Tulsa OK to Amerivespa come May and I want to know if the access roads next to I-35 go the distance from Dallas to San Antonio? I know they follow the highway throughout the Dallas/Ft. Worth area but have no idea if they follow it further south (once you are well out of the city).

According to the Google Satellite pics the answer would be "yes" but I'd like to have some verification on that if possible.

Any help is appreciated!
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

It looks like it can be done, though there are a couple places where you'll need to take a spur or detour. If you're coming from FW, I-35 is split into East and West until you get down to Hillsboro or so. So, for instance, the Frontage Rd. for 35W disappears for a bit in Alvarado, but you can take the spur to rejoin it.

There are a couple off-freeway routes parallel to 35 (small highways) that you can take to Austin. Hwy 77/81 and Old Hwy 81 run pretty close to 35. To the West, there's 67 to 281 to 183. There's also a route on the East side.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

To the West, there's 67 to 281 to 183
Yep, that's what I was looking at this morning. It's an easy ride IMHO.

But if I can just zip down Frontage Road, that will be noteably shorter. I have a Stella trailing me so speed will not be too high. I think it should work out.
bunny

Post by bunny »

We're taking 281.

35 is the interstate, and it is the most direct route, but it is also the bumpiest. and there's ALWAYS some kind of construction going on.

BTW, it's a 4 lane highway...two lanes on each side with a median...hence the gripe about the construction.
Yes, it's fast. No, you can't ride it.

pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

When are you leaving? We're planning on taking that leg of the trip (Dallas to San Antonio) on Thursday, the 27th.

We weren't planning on scooting on I-35. Illegal, I believe! We were considering going down the access road next to it (Frontage Road), which appears to go the entire distance to San Antonio. Thoughts?
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

bunny wrote:35 is the interstate, and it is the most direct route, but it is also the bumpiest. and there's ALWAYS some kind of construction going on.
We're from Oklahoma. Bumpy is the norm :oops:
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

lmyers wrote:
bunny wrote:35 is the interstate, and it is the most direct route, but it is also the bumpiest. and there's ALWAYS some kind of construction going on.
We're from Oklahoma. Bumpy is the norm :oops:
:rofl: Too true!
Francois Donadet

Post by Francois Donadet »

I went from Austin to Edmond and back. Took 81 south from El Reno to Bowie TX. From there I went over to Jacksboro and took 281 from there. There were plenty of regularly spaced gas stations in the little towns. Two lanes most of the way but with wide clear shoulders to get on and let people pass. Traffic was light and polite.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

If you're going down 35 in a car and the Stella is riding parallel, won't you have to stop occasionally to let them catch up?

It's a pretty damn long ride to do in one day either way, really…
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

He'll be on a Buddy. I think 281 is the smart choice, even though the lunatic I bought the Stella from rode the interstates all the time.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

If you're going down 35 in a car and the Stella is riding parallel, won't you have to stop occasionally to let them catch up?
Frontage Road! It runs parallel to I-35. It is not I-35! We can't ride on I-35 on a Buddy 125 and a Stella. No one is advocating riding on I-35!

C'mon people, get with the program! :shock:
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

pugbuddy wrote:
Frontage Road! It runs parallel to I-35. It is not I-35! We can't ride on I-35 on a Buddy 125 and a Stella. No one is advocating riding on I-35!

C'mon people, get with the program! :shock:
Ah, for some reason I thought you'd have a car on the freeway and scooter on the access road.
Francois Donadet

Post by Francois Donadet »

I forgot to address the initial question. The frontage road is spotty at best between Waco and Dallas also in southern Oklahoma. It's also shorter to go through Fort Worth than Dallas in a car at least.
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

I asked one of our Texas sales reps and the frontage road does not go all the way to Austin. Besides, would you REALLY want to stop every mile or so for a stop sign or traffic light? We can debate this and alternatives on Friday 8)
Medusa Padlock

Post by Medusa Padlock »

Basically I would Travel down 77 through Denton TX all the way to I10 and then travel the frontage roads into San Antonio...

377miles
Attachments
maps.jpg
maps.jpg (33.09 KiB) Viewed 1268 times
maribell

Post by maribell »

Once you hit Austin, you could probably do the rest of the way with some of the ASC if you wanted. I know there are a couple leading rides down there on Thursday, I just don't know what time they are leaving. You can ride the frontage road all the way from Austin to San Antonio, but I would want to cut over at San Marcos to avoid traffic.

It took me and another person on a GTS two hours of riding time to get to San Antonio from Austin. We sat in traffic for an hour trying to get outside the city limits of Austin though. You guys are looking at 8-9 hours of riding from Dallas to San Antonio.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Ah, for some reason I thought you'd have a car on the freeway and scooter on the access road.
Ok, I was wondering where that car came from! :D

Excellent info everyone! It sounds like the original plan of using 281 may be a better option.
Basically I would Travel down 77 through Denton TX all the way to I10 and then travel the frontage roads into San Antonio...
I haven't explored this option yet. The plan is to go Tulsa to Dallas the first day, then Dallas to SA the second. From Dallas to SA via 281 is only 303 miles, according to Google. Not a bad ride IMHO.
professorbrother

Post by professorbrother »

Slightly off of subject, but since this thread is mostly about scooting on Texas highways, I have to ask, does anyone here take long distance rides in Tejas on their own? Do you feel safe enough w/ all the wonderful Texas pick-up truck/Mustang drivers out there?

I'm routing my first long distance trip from Austin to Lufkin, in East Texas. Mostly on two-lane farm-to-market roads with occasional state highway designations, but this is Texas w/ 60-70 speed limits on these rural roads. I'm sure it's going to be fine, just wondering if anyone has been harassed by honky's out there?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

professorbrother wrote:Slightly off of subject, but since this thread is mostly about scooting on Texas highways, I have to ask, does anyone here take long distance rides in Tejas on their own? Do you feel safe enough w/ all the wonderful Texas pick-up truck/Mustang drivers out there?

I'm routing my first long distance trip from Austin to Lufkin, in East Texas. Mostly on two-lane farm-to-market roads with occasional state highway designations, but this is Texas w/ 60-70 speed limits on these rural roads. I'm sure it's going to be fine, just wondering if anyone has been harassed by honky's out there?
Alix Bryan (MB username Alix_B) rode east to west across Texas from LA to El Paso, then later from OK south to Austin (I think). You may want to ask her about riding through. You can PM her here or on her site. Check out her route here:
http://www.peacescooter.com/route/
bunny

Post by bunny »

There is a STUNNING ride from Denton to Fort Worth via old Highway 377. Takes about three to four hours but SOOOOOO worth the ride.

We haven't really put anything in concrete about Amerivespa other than, "*I* want to go"

We've discussed a road trip to Austin, so I think I may push for it to be the same weekend as Amerivespa.
Yes, it's fast. No, you can't ride it.