Best Snow Tires for Winter?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Emerson

Best Snow Tires for Winter?

Post by Emerson »

For the first time I am riding my scooter around in the winter and will like to know which snow tires will be best for a Buddy 50 in New England?
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

:shock:

I'm gonna go with the ones on the truck that's hauling it around.

In all honesty, I'm not sure that the Buddy's rear is wide enough to accommodate any studded tires that would be wide enough to work on 10" rims. I'm also not sure if they make a snow tire for 10" rims.

Scooterworks sells a Vee brand "Winter" tire, but I don't know if they'd back it as a "snow tire". There's a pretty good reason why the tire manufacturer's don't advertise snow tires for motorcycles. Most motorcycles that you see in the snow are dual sports that have much taller suspensions (with farther travel) and fat knobby tires for grabbing loose ground. The Buddy's pretty much the opposite of those.

If you do find some, be sure to let us know. I'm pretty sure this isn't a common topic.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
kooky scientist

Post by kooky scientist »

Well, I'm in Salem, MA and I'm using stock tires and have had no problems. Just don't drive when there is snow on the road.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

sorry. Law of physics apply here. 2 wheels plus snow do not mix. Just suffer like the rest of us and park the scoot. I live in Cleveland (dammit) so I feel your pain. Grab that day where the ice is scaped off the road and the sun is shining and count your blessings you hit the road if only for a day.

It should be noted snow is not the issue as much as ice. 99/100 where there is snow there is some ice.
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

I agree with what has already been said. Scooter tires are already pretty soft compared to car tires, which, besides tread, is what makes a tire a snow tire. But, the scoot is just not heavy enough to grip on icy roads, plus when you slide in a car just a little you are ok, when you slide on a scooter just a little, you will most likely go down. Ever hit loose gravel on a bicycle...now multiply that times 10.
kooky scientist

Post by kooky scientist »

Luckily, we are on the coast and the roads are clear 1-4 days after a storm. I've been riding all winter except for a few days here and there.
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

im going with the band wagon here
besides the fact that no mater what you put on the scooter it still wont be safe then you have to worry about the idiots in cages we all know thay cant drive on dry roads and they drive even worse on snow covered roads and you have nothing at all to protect you from 3000+ lbs of steel sliding out of control at you
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Here's the best, cheapest, and most effective proven method that works for everyone.

Just ride when there is no snow or ice and it's dry out. Dont risk riding on snowy roads or snowy conditions. You may be the best scooter rider in history, but the speeding SUV behind you isnt going to stop when it hits a patch of black ice and pancakes you.
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

here is a link to the Iceman spikes tires. Not sure if you could get one of these on a Buddy. I know they won't work with the Buddy 50 since all of these are tubeless and the 50 runs tubes.

http://www.schwalbetires.com/iceman_spikes
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Studded tires are illegal in many states and arent very practical. By the time you get out of the office at 5PM, the streets are cleared of snow and you still have studded tires on your bike. What now?
jasondavis48108

looks like the same kind of studs that are in thier bicycle tires. If thats the case then the studs arn't very pronounced and work just fine on dry pavement if a bit noisy. They still arn't meant for rideing in 6 inches of snow, nothing is going to make that easy. These are really made for rideing on ice and hardpacked snow thats left from the plows
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

I've actually ridden in snow several times. Its wicked scary. The Buddy doesn't weigh enough to work well in the snow. The last time it snowed here in Portland(a few weeks ago) I actually pulled muscles in my shoulders from the effort of riding 25 miles in the snow and trying to stay upright.

I won't say its impossible, but I WILL say that I don't recommend it.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Aside from all the sound "don't do it" advice, the big problem will be finding anything in a size the Buddy can accommodate.

Heidenau makes a 120/70-10 Snowtex tire; that's about the closest I can find.
http://www.moto-amore.com/heidenau/new/snowtexnew.html

The Snowtex versions of their tires have similar treads, but different composition and are actually softer than the normal street versions:
"Snowtex® tires are designed for snow or freezing conditions though, and due to the softness of the compounds, excessive wear will be noted in dry conditions. Prolonged use on dry roads is not recommended."

So you're looking at $70+ per tire with pretty limited usage.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
pocphil
Dealer

Post by pocphil »

The 120/70x10 Snowtex does not fit on a buddy scooter. It rubs the swingarm pretty aggressively. The Schwalbe Weatherman 3.50x10 is the correct fit (available in whitewall too - special order) if you must ride in the snow. We keep the blackwall in stock.

I don't recommend it. It's fun for like 5 minutes, just to prove you've done it. Then you crash.
Phil Waters
ClevelandMoto
Pride Of Cleveland Scooters
18636 Detroit Rd.
Lakewood, Ohio 44107
216-227-1964
www.clevelandmoto.com
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

pocphil wrote:The 120/70x10 Snowtex does not fit on a buddy scooter. It rubs the swingarm pretty aggressively. The Schwalbe Weatherman 3.50x10 is the correct fit (available in whitewall too - special order) if you must ride in the snow. We keep the blackwall in stock.

I don't recommend it. It's fun for like 5 minutes, just to prove you've done it. Then you crash.
You're a friggin genius, Phil! Sell them a snow tire (after advising against it) then repair the damages when they get done "proving" they can do it!
pocphil
Dealer

Post by pocphil »

No kidding! Hey, I did my part. Once you've been warned, if you wanna buy snow tires, a 5' tall windshield, or a sidecar and trailer for your buddy, it's on you. I found the more I tried to keep people from making bad decisions the more they resented me. Now I state my opinion and retreat to the service department.
Phil Waters
ClevelandMoto
Pride Of Cleveland Scooters
18636 Detroit Rd.
Lakewood, Ohio 44107
216-227-1964
www.clevelandmoto.com
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

That's the way to do it! Some things can't be told or advised, they must be experienced. Common Sense is often one of those things. :rofl:
Halloweenie

Post by Halloweenie »

I have been riding the Vee Rubber winter tire from Scooterworks since I nearly dropped on some black ice. I have not had a problem since. However, I have also changed how I ride if the pavement even looks wet below 35F. I do not know how they really would fair in the snow, but I tried them in the rain last night and they performed much better in my opinion than my Zippy 1's did wet.
226 Vintage Hot Wing, GGR Hot Reeds, Mazzy Race Cut Crank, P200 filter, 128 Main, BJ Stack, Trailtech CHT

AAA-O Anything, Anytime, Anywhere, Bar None
drawkward

Post by drawkward »

I don't have a buddy but I was browsing and came across your discussion and wanted to show you guys something. This is me earlier today during the snow storm. My back fender was removed so snow/water got all over the electrical connections and CDI? as well as the engine and carb. She's drying in the garage right now.

Just a simple rope wrapped nice and tightly (be careful to not wrap it anywhere near your tires air valve). Did it during last months storm without a problem as well. Rope needs to be replaced after a few days. I have a rope on the front too :D.
If you click the image below you can get the full resolution.

Oh the buzzing noise is my carb vibrating on the frame :P Need to adjust that. I got up to about 25 in this video. It's a terrible angle and I want to do another video, if I do I'll post it. It's really got a lot of traction in deep snow and on the road, which is like nice and packed with snow.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/v5-be5bz8Ig&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/v5-be5bz8Ig&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Can't wait to get back out :D

EDIT: Link error.
drawkward

Post by drawkward »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeLTHmh9apk
- Scooter with snowboard as front wheel, studded back tire.

- 200cc Air Cooled
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

drawkward wrote:Just a simple rope wrapped nice and tightly (be careful to not wrap it anywhere near your tires air valve). Did it during last months storm without a problem as well. Rope needs to be replaced after a few days. I have a rope on the front too :D.
That's pretty much how I used to do it, except I used steel core clothesline from the hardware store. This is going back 30 years to the era of spoked motorcycle wheels. I just tied the clothesline to a spoke, wound it around the tire in one direction, then wound a cross pattern going in the opposite direction and tied it off at the original spoke. During an ice storm in the early 80s, I was about the only vehicle moving in the city of Atlanta on that rig. The only time I fell was in the late afternoon when the sun had melted a little of the ice and there was just water on top of glare ice. The tires didn't lose traction, but my foot slipped when I stopped on a hill. I slid down the hill next to the bike and out into the crossroad at the bottom of the hill. It was one of those stupid, but exhilirating, moments that are only cool if you live to tell about them. :shock:
drawkward

Post by drawkward »

jrsjr wrote:
drawkward wrote:Just a simple rope wrapped nice and tightly (be careful to not wrap it anywhere near your tires air valve). Did it during last months storm without a problem as well. Rope needs to be replaced after a few days. I have a rope on the front too :D.
That's pretty much how I used to do it, except I used steel core clothesline from the hardware store. This is going back 30 years to the era of spoked motorcycle wheels. I just tied the clothesline to a spoke, wound it around the tire in one direction, then wound a cross pattern going in the opposite direction and tied it off at the original spoke. During an ice storm in the early 80s, I was about the only vehicle moving in the city of Atlanta on that rig. The only time I fell was in the late afternoon when the sun had melted a little of the ice and there was just water on top of glare ice. The tires didn't lose traction, but my foot slipped when I stopped on a hill. I slid down the hill next to the bike and out into the crossroad at the bottom of the hill. It was one of those stupid, but exhilirating, moments that are only cool if you live to tell about them. :shock:
Haha. Sounds awesome. I didn't think about using clothes line, but that seems like a better idea. These ropes can burn up pretty quick if your not careful. I'll try something with a steel core next time.

It's funny being one of the few vehicles out while being on two wheels, and all the other vehicles are SUV's or trucks.
joeysanchez_90

This winter will be my first riding

Post by joeysanchez_90 »

I just got a scooter about 2 months ago and have absolutely fallen in love with riding it. I am determined to ride my "Optimus" year-round. What do you use during the winter? I live in Beverly.
jasondavis48108

Re: This winter will be my first riding

joeysanchez_90 wrote:I just got a scooter about 2 months ago and have absolutely fallen in love with riding it. I am determined to ride my "Optimus" year-round. What do you use during the winter? I live in Beverly.
common sense, if there is snow or ice on the road I use a scooter cover. It totally sucks but riding in the winter is not worth dieing over. If your thinking about riding in the snow do yourself a favor and ride around on residential streets for a few minutes and you'll see that although it can be fun its anything but stable :lol:
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

You guys are nuts.... :shock:
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

I'm totally going to remember that trick with rope. I got caught in a heavy and sudden snow storm last year while still at work, by the time I got the 25 miles home there were a couple of feet of snow on the ground, and I was having to use my feet as outriggers to keep upright.
Keys

Post by Keys »

Weren't scooters, but I rode bikes over Vail Pass in Colorado in snow storms...twice. Once on a chopped sportster and once on a Yamaha SR500.

--Keys
"Life without music would Bb"
Dooglas

Re: This winter will be my first riding

Post by Dooglas »

joeysanchez_90 wrote:I am determined to ride my "Optimus" year-round. What do you use during the winter? I live in Beverly.
I used to live in Cambridge. My experience was that when you ride your scoot in the snow or ice - you fall down.
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

ive gotten caught in 1 freak snow storm ok more like blizzard in april
and its plain and simple when there is a chance for snow and the roads are slick the scoots and bikes stay parked

its not just me falling down but the idiots in cages do not expect 2 wheelers at all and they cant drive when things are good and they are even worse when the snow falls

and i live in a plave where we get a food amount of snow

now i will take the scoots out and play in the yard and have fun but wont go on the roads
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

jmkjr72 wrote:ive gotten caught in 1 freak snow storm ok more like blizzard in april
and its plain and simple when there is a chance for snow and the roads are slick the scoots and bikes stay parked

its not just me falling down but the idiots in cages do not expect 2 wheelers at all and they cant drive when things are good and they are even worse when the snow falls

and i live in a plave where we get a food amount of snow

now i will take the scoots out and play in the yard and have fun but wont go on the roads
Exactly :+!: