Prima Brand White Wall Tires

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

JSharpPhoto

Prima Brand White Wall Tires

Post by JSharpPhoto »

Anyone tried the new tires from Prima?

They look ok in the pictures, and they have a highway rated tread. But i'm leary of any "cheap" tire. And at 40$ each, they're cheap. I spend 70 on each of my continental white walls.

http://www.scooterworks.com/Tire_Whitew ... 22C566.cfm
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Looks like it requires a tube, but I may be wrong. They look great, but I'm not trying any no name tires on my bike when there's plenty of other well known tire companies which are known for quality.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Interesting...

There are a number of really solid scooter tires at that price point and even lower (the Michelins I have on now are only about $30 each) so I wouldn't push these aside based on that.

Prima makes a lot of decent stuff, but I'm with Frosty on not trusting something as important as tires without more review!

Maybe we'll get to read more about them; I'd love a good whitewall to put on my Italia next!!
JSharpPhoto

Post by JSharpPhoto »

the item title says T/L, which i assumes means tubeless. am i wrong?
easy

Post by easy »

thats the only 3.5/10 ww sport tire ive seen. Only other white wall sport tire is the Maxxis on the Black Jack and its 100/90 which rubs on the stella .
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

easy wrote:thats the only 3.5/10 ww sport tire ive seen. Only other white wall sport tire is the Maxxis on the Black Jack and its 100/90 which rubs on the stella .
It interests me for that reason too. I've liked the sport tread on my new tires much better than I did the street tread on my original white walls.
pocphil
Dealer

Post by pocphil »

The Prima sport whitewall appears to be made by Vee rubber, which has an excellent reputation for quality in the m/c world. I've got a set for my Stella, but I haven't mounted them up yet. I too ran Conti's whites for years and I'm pretty interested in having a good whitewall with a sportier tread.
Phil Waters
ClevelandMoto
Pride Of Cleveland Scooters
18636 Detroit Rd.
Lakewood, Ohio 44107
216-227-1964
www.clevelandmoto.com
Halloweenie

Post by Halloweenie »

I second the quality review of Vee rubber, I am quite pleased with the winter tire!
226 Vintage Hot Wing, GGR Hot Reeds, Mazzy Race Cut Crank, P200 filter, 128 Main, BJ Stack, Trailtech CHT

AAA-O Anything, Anytime, Anywhere, Bar None
Nickie McNichols

Post by Nickie McNichols »

Does anyone do an on line review of tires?
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Nickie McNichols wrote:Does anyone do an on line review of tires?
Yup. We do. And ModernVespa.com 8)

I don't know of another site that does them regularly. There's http://www.thescooterreview.com and http://www.justgottascoot.com but they don't seem to have any tire reviews. Most of the reviews you'll find are on scooter forums like this one and ModernVespa.

We have a Review section but there are no tire-specific reviews there (hint hint, who wants to do one?). You can search this site by putting this into Google.com: site:modernbuddy.com tires

That will bring up every thread here with the word tires in it. Other terms to search for would be brand names: Michelin, Continental, Heidenau, Pirelli, etc.
JSharpPhoto

Post by JSharpPhoto »

a couple of friends in our local club are testing a free set of tires for scooterworks. hmmm. testing something AFTER it's on sale. that seems dangerous. Less of testing, more of "hey show all your friends how good these look." anyway. They're both very pleased. So i guess this really is the perfect match between the white wall style and a performance tire. and almost half the price of my continentals.
pocphil
Dealer

Post by pocphil »

I incorrectly reported that these tires were made by Vee rubber, but I have it on good authority they're made specifically for Prima right down to them owning their own moldings/tooling. It's not uncommon for manufactures to send out a few "samples" to do "field testing" after a product has been introduced to the market. This usually has way more to do with "promoting" than "testing".

Prima realizes if you want to sell a product it helps to have a few people running around with it already who can vouch for it.
Phil Waters
ClevelandMoto
Pride Of Cleveland Scooters
18636 Detroit Rd.
Lakewood, Ohio 44107
216-227-1964
www.clevelandmoto.com
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

I'm up for doing a write-up on some. I've never done a formal review before, outside of the "I liked them" recommendation. I guess I should go look over some of the other reviews so it doesn't come across as horribly amateur. :lol:
Halloweenie

Post by Halloweenie »

As per Scooterworks they are made at the Shinko factory same as Continental. They do not know yet know the speed rating, will pass it on when they let me know.
226 Vintage Hot Wing, GGR Hot Reeds, Mazzy Race Cut Crank, P200 filter, 128 Main, BJ Stack, Trailtech CHT

AAA-O Anything, Anytime, Anywhere, Bar None
laxer

Post by laxer »

Man, I wish someone would make 120/90 and 130/90 whitewalls for my rattler.
Lagerhead

Post by Lagerhead »

laxer wrote:Man, I wish someone would make 120/90 and 130/90 whitewalls for my rattler.
Man, I wish someone would make knobbies for my Buddy. :wink:
laxer

Post by laxer »

Lagerhead wrote:
laxer wrote:Man, I wish someone would make 120/90 and 130/90 whitewalls for my rattler.
Man, I wish someone would make knobbies for my Buddy. :wink:
Har-har! Ya got me there, I guess at least I can paint on my tires, it would be a lot more labor-intensive to make regular buddy tires into knobbies.
Qualish

Post by Qualish »

Hello all,

I have been looking at new tires as well, specifically white walls. From what I've read on Modern Buddy it sounds like the Prima and Continental tires are the most popular white walls available.

I live in Seattle so I tend to over analyze tire tread patterns for any that may not channel water away. However, it may be a different consideration for a scooter since I would try to avoid standing water and will likely not travel in excess of 45mph normally.

Which tire would perform better on frequently wet surfaces? Also, during the daily commute I cross a metal grated draw bridge. Currently the scooter will weave a bit as the tire finds a spot to ride in. Would either of these tires perform better on that type of surface as well?

Prima: Image Continental: Image
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Qualish wrote:Which tire would perform better on frequently wet surfaces? Also, during the daily commute I cross a metal grated draw bridge. Currently the scooter will weave a bit as the tire finds a spot to ride in. Would either of these tires perform better on that type of surface as well?

Prima: Image Continental: Image
Kind of hard to say without some feedback from people who've actually ridden on both. The Continental has a "classic" tread pattern that's done well on many surfaces over the years and has made it a fave among those who must have whitewalls. The Prima is more modern and appears designed for serious street riding, like a performance motorcycle tire.

But tread patterns don't tell the whole story; many tires with similar treads may perform differently on wet streets. I think tire composition probably has a lot to do with it.

Really, if you're going to be riding in the rain frequently, I would think the best tires would be non-whitewalls designed for wet, slick surfaces.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

nobodies done a review on these tires yet?

im THIS close to getting them, but kinda hesitant...
JSharpPhoto

Post by JSharpPhoto »

a couple of my friends are demoing them for scooterworks. they seem to like them.
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

JSharpPhoto wrote:a couple of my friends are demoing them for scooterworks. they seem to like them.
oh yeah? please keep us posted, i really like these whitewalls and i like how the tread is on them since i use the highways frequently on a day to day basis