(((( HELP!!! )))) Buddy 50 blows fuse when switched-on.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

fiddlefan

(((( HELP!!! )))) Buddy 50 blows fuse when switched-on.

Post by fiddlefan »

Okay, so yesterday I purchased a pre-owned, like-new '08 Buddy 50 w/about 150 miles on it. Today, out of no where, I noticed the gas gauge wasn't working and discovered that the main fuse was blown :shock: Next, I replaced the blown fuse with the correct fuse and it fried again as soon as I turned the ignition switch to the "on" position. I have pretty much checked everywhere I know to and I don't see any bad connections. Please, do you Buddy enthusiasts have any clue as to what might be the problem here? If it helps, the scooter was purchased new in July 2008. I'm not sure if the Genuine warranty is transferable or not. The previous owner said he had to charge the battery and I am wondering if he disconnected the battery before doing so. I'm not sure at this point, but I have left him a message. If he didn't disconnect the battery, could he have damaged a component maybe?

Thanks for any ideas!
Last edited by fiddlefan on Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:06 am, edited 4 times in total.
It's official... I'm a "scootaholic"...even have the custom t-shirt to prove it.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Unfortunately the warrantee is not transferable. If it is an 08 and only has 150 miles on it, no doubt it has been sitting for a while. So the battery could be kaput. But that does not explain the fuses blowing. Do you know if the previous owner made any electrical modifications to the scooter? Wired up any accessories?

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
fiddlefan

Post by fiddlefan »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:Unfortunately the warrantee is not transferable. If it is an 08 and only has 150 miles on it, no doubt it has been sitting for a while. So the battery could be kaput. But that does not explain the fuses blowing. Do you know if the previous owner made any electrical modifications to the scooter? Wired up any accessories?
Thanks for responding! I figured that was the case with the warranty, as KYMCO and SYM are the same way. I'm not sure if the previous owner made any electrical mods, but I haven't noticed any and I have had the front cover off and the seat bucket off. No more than it was ridden in the 1-1/2 years they had it, I doubt it was modified. I purchased the scoot Wed. afternoon and rode it around a bit that day with no issues till yesterday. Both days were dry, by the way. I can't help but wonder if he charged the battery incorrectly and caused some damage somehow. I haven't had the headset cover off yet, so maybe there is something gone haywire inside there somehow. I'll check that today. Should you have any other ideas, please let me know.

Thanks!
It's official... I'm a "scootaholic"...even have the custom t-shirt to prove it.
Vic

Post by Vic »

You might try getting a new battery and starting there.

When my battery was going my Bud acted really strange.

-v
Lil Buddy

Post by Lil Buddy »

What size (amperage) fuse are you using? Did the horn, blinkers, tail/brake/headlight, hazards, dash and oil light all work when you first purchased it?

The igniton controls the horn, oil light and blinkers (among others i'm sure, thats just what I know from memory). I'd start by locating those wires and inspect them for any damage or modifications.
fiddlefan

Post by fiddlefan »

Lil Buddy wrote:What size (amperage) fuse are you using? Did the horn, blinkers, tail/brake/headlight, hazards, dash and oil light all work when you first purchased it?

The igniton controls the horn, oil light and blinkers (among others i'm sure, thats just what I know from memory). I'd start by locating those wires and inspect them for any damage or modifications.
AGC 10 amp, just like the original one, or at least the one that blew first. Everything was working a couple of days ago when I purchased the scooter, as I checked all that before I handed over the cash for it. I think I'm going to remove the headset cover and poke around in there a bit to see if I see anything that looks troublesome.

Thanks, "Lil Buddy"! Any other ideas come across, please let me know.
fiddlefan

Post by fiddlefan »

It turned out to be a corroded ignition switch. I guess some water and/or condensation had gotten into the switch somehow. Anyway, switch was cleaned out, re-installed and the problem was eliminated.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Excellent. Good solve whoever figured it out. New it had to be something fairly out of the ordinary.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |