SIMPLE MOD QUESTION

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jcbud

SIMPLE MOD QUESTION

Post by jcbud »

I am thinking of doing some simple mods I've seen on Voodoo site, but don't want to keep changing things ever time I make a mod.
1st mod will be drilling airbox out. What size jets should I get?

2nd mod cvt stage 2 upgrade. Will I have to change the jets or can I keep the smae ones from the airbox mod?

3rd mod prima exhaust. If and when I do this upgrade do I have to change jets again?

Thanks for the help
Kaos

Re: SIMPLE MOD QUESTION

Post by Kaos »

jcbud wrote:I am thinking of doing some simple mods I've seen on Voodoo site, but don't want to keep changing things ever time I make a mod.
1st mod will be drilling airbox out. What size jets should I get?

2nd mod cvt stage 2 upgrade. Will I have to change the jets or can I keep the smae ones from the airbox mod?

3rd mod prima exhaust. If and when I do this upgrade do I have to change jets again?

Thanks for the help
I'll try to answer these in order you posted them.

1) Jet size will depend on your altitude and location, and is one of the hardest mods to say "just install this one" I went from a #95 to a #105 at first, then a #110 later, so figure you'll be going up several sizes. Best bet is to buy a kit that contains between a #100 and #120.

2) The changes to the CVT won't require re-jetting. You're good here.

3) You don't HAVE to change jets with the pipe, but you'll likely want to. The pipe will lean out your mixture, and a bigger jet will likely help. That being said, if you're a bit rich when you jet up for the airbox mod, you'll likely be just right when you install the pipe.

Good luck!
jcbud

Post by jcbud »

thanks, that is the info i was looking for. now if my son can get his car out of the garage I can get the work done before spring hits.
Keys

Post by Keys »

I modded the airbox (drilled out 3 holes and removed the "wall" that the rubber hose inserts into) and installed the Prima pipe. Had to jet up from the stock 85 to 115. I live at 3200 ft. elevation.

--Keys

P.S. Of course there are some on this forum who think I'm an idiot and don't know what I'm talking about, so take it for what it's worth.
"Life without music would Bb"
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Keys wrote:I modded the airbox (drilled out 3 holes and removed the "wall" that the rubber hose inserts into) and installed the Prima pipe. Had to jet up from the stock 85 to 115. I live at 3200 ft. elevation.

--Keys

P.S. Of course there are some on this forum who think I'm an idiot and don't know what I'm talking about, so take it for what it's worth.
Yeah, don't you start forgetting stuff if you've been at something longer than most people? :twisted:
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
jcbud

Post by jcbud »

I'll probable start at 100. I am in NYC burbs elevation only about 500 ft
jcbud

Post by jcbud »

If I took the scoot to the local shop any idea about cost to install new jets?
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Most shops will charge a minimum of an hour.

Changing jets is a lazy 15 minutes or "work". The first time will take a considerable amount of time longer, of course.

Now if it's re-jetting and dialing in, that's a lot more time. Expect about 3 hours of labor which will include test rides.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend any performance mods unless you do them yourself or more importantly you know how to undo them if if they brake.
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Lostmycage wrote:Personally, I wouldn't recommend any performance mods unless you do them yourself or more importantly you know how to undo them if if they brake.
Good idea to know how to go back a step if the mod breaks. You want to undo that mod VERY quickly if it starts braking...unless it was the front disc rotor. :twisted:
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

Lostmycage wrote:Most shops will charge a minimum of an hour.

Changing jets is a lazy 15 minutes or "work". The first time will take a considerable amount of time longer, of course.

Now if it's re-jetting and dialing in, that's a lot more time. Expect about 3 hours of labor which will include test rides.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend any performance mods unless you do them yourself or more importantly you know how to undo them if if they brake.
Tuning is VERY difficult to do correctly. Nobody can tell you what jet to run, even if they live next door and have the same mods yours will be a bit different. If you don't know how to read plugs you shouldn't even bother (unless you pay to have it tuned).

One tip I have is try to always fill up at the same gas station. this will keep your burn rate more consistent (water content is different at all stations)

Even reading plugs on these is hard because you can't cut the fuel when you shut the bike off thanks to vacuum. So you will be loading the cylinder with unburned fuel if you don't stop fast enough

VooDoo is a very accurate term :lol:
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

ScooterTrash wrote:

Tuning is VERY difficult to do correctly. Nobody can tell you what jet to run, even if they live next door and have the same mods yours will be a bit different. If you don't know how to read plugs you shouldn't even bother (unless you pay to have it tuned).

One tip I have is try to always fill up at the same gas station. this will keep your burn rate more consistent (water content is different at all stations)

Even reading plugs on these is hard because you can't cut the fuel when you shut the bike off thanks to vacuum. So you will be loading the cylinder with unburned fuel if you don't stop fast enough

:+!: Absolutely. With the CVK carbs, a plug cut is hard to do, unless you're crazy enough to try running it on a stand at WOT then stop it hard.

Learning to read a plug is a must if you want to do this without always paying your mechanic to tune it for ya :)
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

Kaos wrote:
ScooterTrash wrote:

:+!: Absolutely. With the CVK carbs, a plug cut is hard to do, unless you're crazy enough to try running it on a stand at WOT then stop it hard.

Learning to read a plug is a must if you want to do this without always paying your mechanic to tune it for ya :)
I just use wideband :wha:
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

ScooterTrash wrote:
Kaos wrote:
ScooterTrash wrote: Tuning is VERY difficult to do correctly. Nobody can tell you what jet to run, even if they live next door and have the same mods yours will be a bit different. If you don't know how to read plugs you shouldn't even bother (unless you pay to have it tuned).

I'll clarify, on *A* stand. If you're gonna try this DON'T use the center stand. It folds up. If it does that when you're at WOT, bad things will happen! I strap mine down to a motorcycle jack with U-bolts.
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

Kaos wrote:
ScooterTrash wrote:
Kaos wrote: :+!: Absolutely. With the CVK carbs, a plug cut is hard to do, unless you're crazy enough to try running it on a stand at WOT then stop it hard.

I'll clarify, on *A* stand. If you're gonna try this DON'T use the center stand. It folds up. If it does that when you're at WOT, bad things will happen! I strap mine down to a motorcycle jack with U-bolts.
Mine doesn't fold up :wink:
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

ScooterTrash wrote:
Kaos wrote:
ScooterTrash wrote: I just use wideband :wha:
Yeah yeah, fansy locking centerstand mod.... Show off :P
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

ScooterTrash wrote:
Kaos wrote:
ScooterTrash wrote: I just use wideband :wha:
Just don't accidentally lean on the back of the scooter when you're testing.... :shock:
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

Kaos wrote:Yeah yeah, fansy locking centerstand mod.... Show off :P
I do what I can
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

Cheshire wrote:Just don't accidentally lean on the back of the scooter when you're testing.... :shock:
Actually it wont move much :wink:
pyrocpu

Post by pyrocpu »

Well... I wonder... I suppose you COULD lock up the rear (somehow anyway, since the RR drum plain sucks), hit the kill switch, and remember not to let off the RR brake until you come to a complete stop, and pull your plug on the side of the road?

Granted, what one could do isn't necessarily the same as one should/shouldn't do...

:D
Update: "Bought the motorcycle, still have the Blackjack... wife wants me to sell Blackjack..."

Kaos

Post by Kaos »

pyrocpu wrote:Well... I wonder... I suppose you COULD lock up the rear (somehow anyway, since the RR drum plain sucks), hit the kill switch, and remember not to let off the RR brake until you come to a complete stop, and pull your plug on the side of the road?

Granted, what one could do isn't necessarily the same as one should/shouldn't do...

Yeah, that COULD be done. Probably shouldn't though :) I'm not sure you could lock up the rear though, as its not the greatest brake. Just stopping hard works well enough though.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

pyrocpu wrote:Well... I wonder... I suppose you COULD lock up the rear (somehow anyway, since the RR drum plain sucks), hit the kill switch, and remember not to let off the RR brake until you come to a complete stop, and pull your plug on the side of the road?

Sounds like you're trying to figure out how to post in two threads at once. This one and the crash thread.

Q: What were you doing?
A: Plug chop

Q: Was there any damage to the bike?
A: It's totaled, but that sucker's tuned!
jcbud

Post by jcbud »

where is a good place to shop for jets or jet packages?
thanks
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

jcbud wrote:where is a good place to shop for jets or jet packages?
thanks
Scooterworks sells them, as do many local scooter shops.
jcbud

Post by jcbud »

ordering the prima exhaust stage 1, this way in one shot I'll do every thing. then maybe next Christmas I'll go to 161cc's
jcbud

Post by jcbud »

http://www.battlescooter.com/1.html
great great rejetting info

did my mods and had no problem.
the exhaust is a straight bolt off and on. also did the DIY airbox mod.
with those 2 done I hit the jets. You must have the correct screwdriver size 1st and 2nd patience.
I started with 100 jet, it ran terrible. took that out and installed 95 jet, ran better but still not great. I then left the 95 on and started to reverse some of the airbox mods. 1st reinstalled the snorkel.....ran better but still alittle off. then added back the seperation piece in the airbox......ran perfect.
a few thing that might help if someone does re-jetting..keep a golf tee handy, you can use it to stop the gas line with it.