Jay Leno checks out the Buddy Black Jack 150 Scooter

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ellen

Jay Leno checks out the Buddy Black Jack 150 Scooter

Post by ellen »

Mike Frankovich of NoHo Scooters stops by to show Jay Leno the Genuine Scooter Company's Buddy Black Jack 150.

Video here at Jays Garage : Jay Leno checks out the Buddy Black Jack 150 Scooter
Mike @ NoHo Scooters
Dealer

Post by Mike @ NoHo Scooters »

They filmed that a few months back. Jay also has some Vespa ET4s that Vespa gave him when they came back in 2001, and a MP3. Contrary to popular rumor, Jay does not have any vintage scooters.

My fathers was friends with Jay Leno. When he passed Jay came over and bought his Corvair Rampside pickup. It was in sad shape and the restoration Jay's people did is amazing.
http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/at-the-ga ... -rampside/

We also delivered a Ultra Motor A2B to Jay.
http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/at-the-ga ... c-bicycle/
Mike Frankovich
NoHo Scooters
North Hollywood, CA
www.nohoscooters.com

Named "Best Scooter Shop" by Los Angeles Magazine in their 2009 Best Of LA issue!

www.twitter.com/nohoscooters
www.facebook.com/nohoscooters
www.youtube.com/nohomike
rickko

Post by rickko »

Thanks for posting the links.
Ride it like you enjoy it!
MB member #2568
Buell_Buddy

What, no ride?

Post by Buell_Buddy »

Well that was a nice little video intro to the Blackjack, but I'm disappointed that Jay didn't RIDE the little booger. After a quick blast around the neighborhood it would have been fun to see him come back giggling like a schoolgirl inside his helmet.

Oh wait, that's ME who's giggling like a schoolgirl whenever I ride mine.

Anyway, I can't wait to take the Angry Rabbit out to the Rock Store for the first time this year. Might run into Jay there. I'll give him the keys and shove him down the road. That'll be fun!

(But first I'll have to pry him off his Buell, heh.)
Attachments
leno_buell8.jpg
leno_buell8.jpg (65.15 KiB) Viewed 2334 times
BoneGirl

Grrrr!

Post by BoneGirl »

Jay seemed to laugh at the Buddy more than admire it.

I realize Jay is a comedian but I feel like he made more fun out of the Buddy than admire it.
Last edited by BoneGirl on Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
mattgordon

Post by mattgordon »

Great infotainment....Mike's a real fan of the Buddy and a long-time scooterist who knows his stuff!

But MY Blackjack is NOT freeway legal in California, as it's REALLY only 148cc, and the VIN plate lists it as a motor-driven cycle, NOT a motorcycle. (2 cc away from true freeway legality!)
Buell_Buddy

Sunday ride?

Post by Buell_Buddy »

At the risk of thread-hijacking...

After all the rain here, it looks like its going to be a beautiful weekend in SoCal. High of 75 on Sunday! Would anyone like to make a scoot run out to the Rock Store? I think I'll try for Sunday. I'll go anyway by myself but I'd love to have someone to ride with. I go slow on those canyon roads.

Any takers?
Mike @ NoHo Scooters
Dealer

Re: Grrrr!

Post by Mike @ NoHo Scooters »

Watch the video again. Jay compares the Buddy to a comprable electric motorcycle/scooter that would run $10,000-$12,000. Jay ownes a few of these (Vectrix, Zero, and Brammo). Nowhere is it stated that the Buddy is only good for 10,000-12,000 miles.

We have customers that have over 30,000 miles on their Buddies. I personally rode one to Santa Barbara from LA back in 2006 when we first started selling them. We did a ride with a few Buddy riders to Amerivespa in San Jose and back last July. The fact is that the Buddy is primarily designed for in town commuting.

I do admit that I was nervous when the video was shot. I'm not used to having a TV camera on my face next to one of the biggest stars on TV.

If you need to question my dedication to Genuine Scooter Company, just ask any of my hundreds of customers who bought Buddies from me or anyone at GSC.
BoneGirl wrote:I just watched the video and have to admit I am ticked. As a scooter shop owner, I would have expected a little more out of Mike. Jay seemed to laugh at the Buddy more than admire it. But hey, according to the video, the Buddy is strictly for your urban commute, not being much more than something you would use for your convenience store purchase of a forty and pack of smokes.

I was sorry to hear they only expect 10-12,000 miles out of the Buddy. But Jay made a comment about the price vs the mileage and that was good by him.

EXCUSE ME!!!! But I hope no one looking to buy a dependable, low maintenance scooter is watching that video any time soon because Jay's Buddy video would have them looking elsewhere. I realize Jay is a comedian but I feel like he made more fun out of the Buddy than admire it.

I guess it's normal to defend and take pride in your ride so maybe that's why I am ticked at this video.
Mike Frankovich
NoHo Scooters
North Hollywood, CA
www.nohoscooters.com

Named "Best Scooter Shop" by Los Angeles Magazine in their 2009 Best Of LA issue!

www.twitter.com/nohoscooters
www.facebook.com/nohoscooters
www.youtube.com/nohomike
BoneGirl

Thanks!

Post by BoneGirl »

Thanks for the clarification, Mike. I feel better now!
mattgordon

Re: Grrrr!

Post by mattgordon »

Mike @ NoHo Scooters wrote:Watch the video again. Jay compares the Buddy to a comprable electric motorcycle/scooter that would run $10,000-$12,000. Jay ownes a few of these (Vectrix, Zero, and Brammo). Nowhere is it stated that the Buddy is only good for 10,000-12,000 miles.

We have customers that have over 30,000 miles on their Buddies. I personally rode one to Santa Barbara from LA back in 2006 when we first started selling them. We did a ride with a few Buddy riders to Amerivespa in San Jose and back last July. The fact is that the Buddy is primarily designed for in town commuting.

I do admit that I was nervous when the video was shot. I'm not used to having a TV camera on my face next to one of the biggest stars on TV.

If you need to question my dedication to Genuine Scooter Company, just ask any of my hundreds of customers who bought Buddies from me or anyone at GSC.
BoneGirl wrote:I just watched the video and have to admit I am ticked. As a scooter shop owner, I would have expected a little more out of Mike. Jay seemed to laugh at the Buddy more than admire it. But hey, according to the video, the Buddy is strictly for your urban commute, not being much more than something you would use for your convenience store purchase of a forty and pack of smokes.

I was sorry to hear they only expect 10-12,000 miles out of the Buddy. But Jay made a comment about the price vs the mileage and that was good by him.

EXCUSE ME!!!! But I hope no one looking to buy a dependable, low maintenance scooter is watching that video any time soon because Jay's Buddy video would have them looking elsewhere. I realize Jay is a comedian but I feel like he made more fun out of the Buddy than admire it.

I guess it's normal to defend and take pride in your ride so maybe that's why I am ticked at this video.
You certainly are known as one the Genuine Scooter Co's biggest fans, and if you were nervous, rightly so! Jay Leno's Garage is viewed worldwide! I would be nervous too.

I also re-watched the video, but did NOT hear anything about a 10 to 12K service life.

I am curious if they've upped the CC's to 150, mine (a first-wave 2009 Blackjack) is only 148cc, and I couldn't legally ride it on the freeway (nor would want to...).

But really, the sweet-spot for this and the other Buddy scooters is indeed an urban commuter, but thats not to say you couldn't ride it anywhere you wish...you could. People have ridden all over America on 49 cc Ruckus' and Metropolitan's....it's possible, just not their "sweet-spot".

Nice job Mike...BTW-does Leno own that Blackjack, or was it just for the shoot?
SteMer

Post by SteMer »

Disappointing interview. Like Bonegirl said, hard not to get a bit defensive when someone mocks your ride. Mike, I was waiting for you to defend it more or promote it a lot more than just giving the basic specs. But maybe that's not the purpose of that segment. Seemed like Jay's favorite part was the horn. Really? He needs to take it for a ride.
Mighty Ohio Scooter Club

mattgordon

Re: Sunday ride?

Post by mattgordon »

Buell_Buddy wrote:At the risk of thread-hijacking...

After all the rain here, it looks like its going to be a beautiful weekend in SoCal. High of 75 on Sunday! Would anyone like to make a scoot run out to the Rock Store? I think I'll try for Sunday. I'll go anyway by myself but I'd love to have someone to ride with. I go slow on those canyon roads.

Any takers?
That sounds great, I recently did Mulholland with Mike and Co for the Peterson event and the 'Jack really made it fun on those twisties, but we are leaving for the desert shortly.

Post up again sometime, and maybe we can invade the Rock Store as the Blackjack Army :D
BoneGirl

redo

Post by BoneGirl »

Apologies to Mike. I think you know more about scooters than I originally thought. I did watch the video again and it is still not clear to me that you guys weren't talking miles. When Jay said electric scooters I didn't even know if he had any idea what he was talking about and was referring to the Buddy. It just says they go around 10-12,000 and I assumed you were talking miles. The cost seemed like his comparison to cost of the bike vs the amount of miles you would get out of it.

No biggie, I guess I was just expecting more; not necessarily from you, Mike, just from the video.
ericalm
Site Admin

Re: redo

Post by ericalm »

BoneGirl wrote:Apologies to Mike. I think you know more about scooters than I originally thought. I did watch the video again and it is still not clear to me that you guys weren't talking miles. When Jay said electric scooters I didn't even know if he had any idea what he was talking about and was referring to the Buddy. It just says they go around 10-12,000 and I assumed you were talking miles. The cost seemed like his comparison to cost of the bike vs the amount of miles you would get out of it.

No biggie, I guess I was just expecting more; not necessarily from you, Mike, just from the video.
Mike knows more about scooters than just about anyone I've ever met or that most of us will ever meet. Name a decent scooter—he's probably owned one and/or worked on it at some time. Mike may not be the telegenic TV pitchman that Phil Waters is, but I think he did a fine job of doing what he was there to do: provide Jay with the basic info on this.

I'm not sure what people expected from this; Jay didn't really seem to be mocking it to me. The fact that it was featured at all is an implicit endorsement of the product. Have you seen any other gas-powered scooters on Jay Leno's Garage?

Here's the video, embedded:
<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="http://widgets.nbc.com/o/4727a250e66f97 ... a258ed2958" id="W4727a250e66f97234b759f52eb1be9b4" width="384" height="283"><param name="movie" value="http://widgets.nbc.com/o/4727a250e66f97 ... a258ed2958" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="allowNetworking" value="all" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /></object>
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
SteMer

Post by SteMer »

I've never seen Jay's Garage before so I know I watched it with expectations of what I was hoping to see. I agree, Mike did a good job giving the basic info. Maybe I was expecting more of the "Phil" type of promotion and to hear some of the anecdotal stories we are all aware of. I recognize now the segment was meant to be more of a description than a sales pitch.

Jay clearly mocked it with his actions after Mike said it was the "top of then line" and after blowing the horn he referred to the rider getting punched. At least I took that as mocking.

You're correct, Ericalm, I had to check my expectations. And the fact that it was on Jay's Garage at all says something.
Mighty Ohio Scooter Club

rsrider

Post by rsrider »

Jay says he's more of a Rocker, but like Ringo, he's a Mocker. J/K
Jay didn't seem to be putting it down, just going over some of the features and sell points of the scooter. Anyone who watches Jay's Garage, knows that the guy is into massive amounts of power and in general BIG stuff. Look at his chin furgawdsake!
Using the internet for evil since 1994.
easy

Post by easy »

i think Mike did a good job. Count on getting some ribbing from a guy that owns a motorcycle with a small jet motor.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Mike did a great and totally appropriate job. Just to have a comparable on-camera presence to such a seasoned veteran as Jay Leno is quite an accomplishment. Besides, what are you going to do, start contradicting facts and splitting hairs with the star of the show? Not a good idea if you want the segment to air. Ya gotta let the star be the star and just go with the flow. I do wish they'd shown the scooter being ridden though...

Good job Mike. I look forward to your next segment :)

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Hey, I was Team Coco all the way but appreciate Jay putting the spotlight on one of our favorite scooters.

I agree, it would have been nice to show it being ridden.

Maybe we can get him to do something on the Stella 4T next.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
rajron

Post by rajron »

I just got a chance to see the Leno video and I thought it was pretty neat, positive and informative. Leno seemed to take the scooter for what it is; a scooter, and for being nervous Mike did very well.
In my eyes Genuine got a positive review - the price in particular especially when compared to an electric scooter.
cadillaczac

Post by cadillaczac »

Funny this came up, I was just at a car show in the San Fernando Valley and Jay showed up as it was ending. I was on my CB360 (which Jay quoted as being a "great looking British Honda") and my dad had my old Dodge Dart there. As the lot had thinned out, Jay stopped to appreciate and talk to everyone that had a car there.
Ventures Scooter Crew
Ventura County
www.camarollersscooterclub.blogspot.com
laxer

Post by laxer »

Honestly, I just wish the topic of top speed would have come up, many people assume that any scooter that's not a maxiscoot can't go over 40.
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

Cool. I'm always happy when a TV personality can do a clip on a scooter ... and not end up riding off the stage or into the audience because they assume it's a toy and underestimate the power of twisting the throttle.

The guy's a comedian, mocking is what he does. This is all in good fun. (After all, he made fun of his own belly, too.) I mean, you have to admit that for an audience used to seeing reviews of 1200cc bikes and race cars, you can't take calling a 150cc "the performance model" too seriously. (For me, a big part of scooting is a philosophy of not taking things too seriously.) Leno seems to be saying, "yes, it's a bit amusing," but in a "it's quirky, but I'm fond of it" kind of way. Surely, we are secure enough in our scooter-inity that we can take some mild ribbing in what really is an overall positive review.

And it seems clear, to me at least, that in the 12k comment, he was referring to the purchase price of electric scooters (as opposed to this gas motor scooter) and saying that the Buddy gets both great gas mileage and great performance -- all at a much better cost than the electric scooters. So to me that was a big a positive statement for the Buddy, not a negative one.
Scooter Commuter
sunshinen

Re: redo

Post by sunshinen »

BoneGirl wrote:Apologies to Mike. I think you know more about scooters than I originally thought. I did watch the video again and it is still not clear to me that you guys weren't talking miles. When Jay said electric scooters I didn't even know if he had any idea what he was talking about and was referring to the Buddy. It just says they go around 10-12,000 and I assumed you were talking miles. The cost seemed like his comparison to cost of the bike vs the amount of miles you would get out of it..
It seems to me that this confusion stems from not giving Mike or Leno enough credit to be having an informed discussion about scooters.

Watching one episode of a show can be like jumping in mid-conversation. Leno was making an informed comparison between gas and electric scooters to an audience he knows has heard about newer electric two-wheelers -- because he has done a few shows on electric bikes, including the Vectrix Maxi Scooter.

He has also done a show on the Piaggio MP3, the Brammo Enertia, the Zero S, and even the A2B Electric Bicycle.
Scooter Commuter
Coffeejunkie

Post by Coffeejunkie »

ericalm wrote:Hey, I was Team Coco all the way but appreciate Jay putting the spotlight on one of our favorite scooters.

I agree, it would have been nice to show it being ridden.

Maybe we can get him to do something on the Stella 4T next.
I too am strong Coco supporter, but as much as I hate to say it, that was a nice little bit about the Blackjack.

At the end of the day, it's always nice for Geniune to get good press.
Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

http://javascoots.wordpress.com/
Thadsgood

Post by Thadsgood »

I'm old enough to remember way back 'in the day' when Leno actually was funny.
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

I stopped being a Leno "fan" a long time ago but I've always admired his taste for the mechanical.

No matter how hard I look, I can't find anything disparaging or mocking about this segment. It's obviously, and overwhelmingly, positive. Nice job!
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

gt1000 wrote:I stopped being a Leno "fan" a long time ago but I've always admired his taste for the mechanical.
Yup, I was kind of wishing he'd just retire from talk shows and do a show on the Speed channel, Discovery, TLC, whatever! I'd also love to see a Leno's Garage reality show. He has a full time staff of guys which maintain and restore his various cars and bikes.

What really impresses me most about him is that he's not just some rich guy who can afford to buy and warehouse all this stuff, he has a really keen and insightful appreciation for these machines. He knows their history, the mechanics, and has a great respect for good engineering and design.

I've not met him but his garage is near me and I frequently travel the same streets he takes to get to NBC so I often see him driving around—in a different car almost every time!
ScootStevie

Post by ScootStevie »

I don't understand why people don't like the vid. He's a comedian, and Mike I think you did a great job :clap:
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

ericalm wrote:
gt1000 wrote:I stopped being a Leno "fan" a long time ago but I've always admired his taste for the mechanical.
Yup, I was kind of wishing he'd just retire from talk shows and do a show on the Speed channel, Discovery, TLC, whatever! I'd also love to see a Leno's Garage reality show. He has a full time staff of guys which maintain and restore his various cars and bikes.

What really impresses me most about him is that he's not just some rich guy who can afford to buy and warehouse all this stuff, he has a really keen and insightful appreciation for these machines. He knows their history, the mechanics, and has a great respect for good engineering and design.

I've not met him but his garage is near me and I frequently travel the same streets he takes to get to NBC so I often see him driving around—in a different car almost every time!
I saw a special about his collection of steam cars once. It was amazing how much he knows about them and is really genuinly interested in maintaining and DRIVING them. He keeps 2 full time steam mechanics on staff JUST for his steam cars.

I really love the fact that he drives everything he has. It drives me mad when I drive my cars to car shows to see people unloading their cards from trailers and PUSHING them into a parking spot. Why even have a motor in your car if thats all the driving it gets?
enzomatic

Post by enzomatic »

I saw Jay at Pebble Beach last year, he seemed to be spending most of his time talking restoration with people and seems really interested in that lifestyle. When I was visiting Scott Grundfor's garage near SLO he was saying that as he was pulling into the Pebble Beach with his Ghia Gilda jet car Jay ran away from his film crew to chase him down the greens.

LA people, I should be getting the bearings and gasket I need to get my scoot up and running, I just need to figure a way to get it down to OC where my dad's fancy tools are.
Looking for ppl to ride with in LA.