My poor scooter

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

nateandcourt

My poor scooter

Post by nateandcourt »

:cry:
So I look outside my window today to find my neighbor's cat enjoying his new scratching post.

My seat has several nice gouges all over it. I am trying really hard to be nice to her about it. How would you guys handle this situation?
Attachments
This times 10
This times 10
Photo03111439_2.jpg (92.81 KiB) Viewed 2131 times
Not shown: an actual scratching post.
Not shown: an actual scratching post.
1.jpg (195.82 KiB) Viewed 2131 times
iwabj

Post by iwabj »

oops
Last edited by iwabj on Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
toycoma98

Post by toycoma98 »

Shoot the cat with a BB gun. :twisted:
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

my neighbors cat fears me
the darn tramp comes up and eats our cats food and fights with our cats
i have dumped pails of water on it hit it with snow balls wrecnhes and just about anything else i can throw at it
i have tossed it off the deck chased it with the scoot off road

but then again these are all barn cats theres and ours
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
JSharpPhoto

Post by JSharpPhoto »

do you rent? or own (your house). If you rent, you can be a little more aggressive with your pursuit. If you own, having a good relationship with your neighbors can be a huge help.

in the meantime, scooter cover?
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Scooter cover is your best bet. The cat is just marking its territory. Or there is this spray-on stuff you can buy at pet stores used to keep cats from clawing furniture. Don't know how it would hold up outdoors. If that fails, spray some eau d'coyote on your seat. That should scare the hell out of it :)

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Cat's shouldnt go outside for very long, especially into others property.

I'd make your neighbor aware and ask for some compensation to fix the seat.

Maybe it's time for you to get a fancy new upolstery job done?
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Get one of these for your neighbor.....

laxer

Post by laxer »

I would poop in his litter box so he'd have to spend like an hour burying it!
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

laxer wrote:I would poop in his litter box so he'd have to spend like an hour burying it!
Wow, your just on a roll today :lol:

I dearly love my cat and my cat stays indorrs all the time. If my cat were to destroy someone elses property I would fully expect to have to pay to get it fixed. I would show the neighbor the damage and how much it costs for a new seat. Its only about $79.00 for a new seat, it costs more than that to get the cats teeth cleaned, shouldn't be a big deal for your neighbor to pony up the cash.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
Major Redneck

Post by Major Redneck »

few drops of bleach in some water sprayed around the bike should keep the cat from doing it again for a while,,, maybe,,, should,,, hope-so,,, worth a try... or get a pitbull...
Scoot'in is more fun than beating up your sister, and it comes with a key!!!
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

Major Redneck wrote:few drops of bleach in some water sprayed around the bike should keep the cat from doing it again for a while,,, maybe,,, should,,, hope-so,,, worth a try... or get a pitbull...
my pitbull snuggles my cat, I'll try to find one of the pics to post, its really quite adorable :)
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

I am sorry. Your scooter is really cute. Try to take a pic of the cat doing this if possible since the seat is already damaged so that there is no way to deny who is responsible and ask her to pay for repairs or new seat. It is her job as an owner to control her pet.
I know many here do not like the bike covers but once the seat is fixed I would buy the cover and use it. Once the animal learns to be outside it is very difficult to contain it and when they set their mind on doing whatever...
The other things I would worry with the cat marking his/her turf is that other critters might decide to have a p*****g contest around or even on your bike. I would clean the seat for now until repairs or replacements are done and cover the bike somehow.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

charlie55 wrote:Get one of these for your neighbor.....

OMG that is hysterical! :lol:

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

even cats know what a to do when faced with a nickel plated hand gun
Attachments
c6916462.jpg
c6916462.jpg (26.4 KiB) Viewed 2046 times
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

Tell them to pony up. It is there responsibility to cover damages caused by there property. Yes animals are considered property in court
iwabj

Post by iwabj »

oops
Last edited by iwabj on Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
nateandcourt

Post by nateandcourt »

Yeah I have a pretty nice scooter cover. I just parked it on my front porch ran in the house and not 15 mins later I pass by the window and the cat was having at it. I do cover it at night, but this cat probably would have gotten it through the cover.

We own the house, but she rents... from my family.... I am asking her to take responsibility for her pet. Its part of ownership.
"Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' that I wasn't previously aware of. "

Douglas Adams
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

jfrost2 wrote:Cat's shouldnt go outside for very long, especially into others property.

I'd make your neighbor aware and ask for some compensation to fix the seat.

Maybe it's time for you to get a fancy new upolstery job done?
Frost is totally right. Technically if you let your cat outside it needs to stay on your property. If it goes anywhere else you are responsible for it's actions.
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
Dr. Pulley Variator with 11 Gram Sliders
NCY Front Forks
Prima/NCY 161cc Big Bore kit With 150 Head
KS Power GY6 Performance Springs
NCY Secondary Shieve
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

My cat goes all over the neighborhood, but so does every other cat on my street...and there's at least a dozen or two. Considering the street's only about half a mile tops...that's a lot of cats! My neighbors appreciate my cat's wanderings, as she catches mice, moles, voles, and snakes...but not birds.

Jfrost2: I'm going to disagree strongly with "cats shouldn't go outside for very long." After all, cats are nocturnal hunting creatures and the natural-order mousetrap. That said, just like any other pet, owners are indeed responsible for their pet. I don't let my rottie out off-lead because I know she intimidates some of my neighbors and she likes herding anything that moves. I can't chase her down anymore, so I keep her on a leash. If my cat tore into a neighbor's cat (outside of my yard) I'd feel obligated to cover vet costs. Years ago, my now-late grandmother's cat treated the wood-panel siding on a neighbor's car like what it looked like. :oops: Didn't help that it was the mayor's wife's car. :x No matter who's it was, we offered to cover the cost of fixing.

OP: Be tactful in how you approach this. Some people are responsible pet owners...some are far from it. Hopefully, your neighbor is the former. :) Good luck, and I'd look into at least a seat cover for future preventative measures.
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Now that I've been thinking about this for a few minutes, yeah...DEFINATELY cover your seat with something. I'm not sure I'd go with a seat cover, though. Those seats are very comfortable...my cat prefers sleeping there to anywhere else when she can. It comfortable, warm, and offers a GREAT view of the surroundings. Whadda ya mean you didn't get the scooter for kitty? ;)

Cats go for what works best...for them. The only way I've been able to get my cat to stop clawing something is to have something nearby she prefers to what I want her to stop destroying. Thankfully, she prefers wood (and sometimes cinderblock and brick :shock: ) to my scooter's seat. However, last spring I nearly didn't have a cat anymore when I discovered she'd coughed up a hairball on my seat. :evil: This was when I had the original 125 textile seat, not the grey leather one I have now.

Your enemy is how comfy the seat is. One idea is...well, I'm an artist/craftsperson. This would be my approach. :twisted:

Get some cheap natural-fiber fabric like canvas, muslin, or some mid- to heavy-weight cotton; obviously keep it cheap. Get some rattle-can glue or sealant, as well, and have plenty of newspaper on hand. Some painter's tape (low-tack) wouldn't hurt.
Cover your scooter with the newspaper to protect it.
Put the fabric over your seat. Wad it up, crinkle it, crease it, form it in the most uncomfortable-to-lie-on form possible that'll fit over your seat...then seal/glue it in that position.
Who loves kitty? NOT IT!! :twisted:
LuvMyScoot

Post by LuvMyScoot »

Sorry to see what happened to your beautiful seat. I don't know what I would do. As a cat owner I have sympathy for other cat owners and realize that, well, cats will be cats (although I don't know why even the laziest of them feel the need to keep their claws in razor sharp condition.) I suppose if I had a good relationship with my neighbor and knew they could afford it I would approach them about compensating me for the seat. Otherwise I'd just get a new seat and make sure that I kept it covered.

I'm lucky that I don't have to worry about neighbor cats using mine as a scratching post. My biggest cat thinks of the seat of my Buddy as her own personal perch from which she views the world with a benevolent but possessive eye. The seat does get a bit furry though...
PasadenaSue

Post by PasadenaSue »

I see that other cat owners have found that their cats like to sit on scooters. My cats love to perch on the seat of my Buddy (and the motorcycles). I have never had my cats scratch the seat though.

I would tend to either buy (or make) a cover to protect the seat, or buy a new cover (not the whole seat). Your dealer should be able to get a new seat cover for much less than the entire seat.

Good luck.
JSharpPhoto

Post by JSharpPhoto »

i would be very surprised if genuine sold seat covers. I know they sell whole seats, but i doubt they sell covers, other than the decorative ones. I could be wrong though.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Scooterworks sells Prima brand seat covers meant as protection from the elements. They're similar to the decorative ones, only I think the protective ones are meant to be waterproof.
ModBud #442
Quo Vadimus

Post by Quo Vadimus »

http://www.contech-inc.com/products/scarecrow/

motion activated sprinkler system. I'm pretty sure you can get them cheaper than this one...

edit: several ideas here:
http://www.odordestroyer.com/Merchant2/ ... Repellents

I especially like the electric shock pad. :twisted:
nateandcourt

Post by nateandcourt »

Those are all great ideas to keep them off of the scooter, but I found one even better. For reasons unrelated to the scooter. I got reveng...er had the honor of..err I sadly had to evict her and the cat. The cat is already gone. So even if she does not compensate me for the seat I feel whole again.

Man, I am evil when someone screws with my scooter. I need help...like scooter therapy or something.

Those scat mats are awesome. I need to figure out a way to connect it to a 220 outlet.

It would be like this.
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/g5kPCuxyU3I&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/g5kPCuxyU3I&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
"Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' that I wasn't previously aware of. "

Douglas Adams
iwabj

Post by iwabj »

oops
Last edited by iwabj on Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

There was a man in our town, and Dunderbeck his name,
One day he invented a sausage meat machine
And pussy cats and long-tailed rats, they'll never more be seen.
They'll all be turned to sausages in Dunderbeck's machine.
Chorus:

Oh, Dunderbeck, Oh Dunderbeck, how coud you be so mean?
Ain't you sorry you ever invented that wonderful machine?
For pussy cats and long-tailed rats, they'll never more be seen
They'll all be turned to sausages in Dunderbeck's machine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0YyXIcAil4
InBloom71

I love our two cats.

Post by InBloom71 »

Our cats love to sleep on my buddy seat. They never scratch it but it is a white seat and they get paw prints on it. That was when I kept the scooter in the garage. These days I keep it on my back porch in a partially enclosed room. Now I just have to worry about one of our dogs who likes to pee on things like tools, chairs, etc... I cannot leave a power drill plugged in out in the back yard while I go inside to get a beverage. When I turn my back he may relieve himself on it and hurt himself. He has yet to pee on my beautiful red and white Buddy.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

We have four cats. They never are allowed outdoors, because here in the desert Southwest, they would be coyote food in an instant. That said, if your neighbor's cat(s) should destroy your property, you are legally entitled to recompense. If your neighbors choose to let their animals loose to destroy other people's property, they can damn well pay for it.
Roose Hurro

Post by Roose Hurro »

Cheshire wrote:Now that I've been thinking about this for a few minutes, yeah...DEFINATELY cover your seat with something. I'm not sure I'd go with a seat cover, though. Those seats are very comfortable...my cat prefers sleeping there to anywhere else when she can. It comfortable, warm, and offers a GREAT view of the surroundings. Whadda ya mean you didn't get the scooter for kitty? ;)

Cats go for what works best...for them. The only way I've been able to get my cat to stop clawing something is to have something nearby she prefers to what I want her to stop destroying. Thankfully, she prefers wood (and sometimes cinderblock and brick :shock: ) to my scooter's seat. However, last spring I nearly didn't have a cat anymore when I discovered she'd coughed up a hairball on my seat. :evil: This was when I had the original 125 textile seat, not the grey leather one I have now.

Your enemy is how comfy the seat is. One idea is...well, I'm an artist/craftsperson. This would be my approach. :twisted:

Get some cheap natural-fiber fabric like canvas, muslin, or some mid- to heavy-weight cotton; obviously keep it cheap. Get some rattle-can glue or sealant, as well, and have plenty of newspaper on hand. Some painter's tape (low-tack) wouldn't hurt.
Cover your scooter with the newspaper to protect it.
Put the fabric over your seat. Wad it up, crinkle it, crease it, form it in the most uncomfortable-to-lie-on form possible that'll fit over your seat...then seal/glue it in that position.
Who loves kitty? NOT IT!! :twisted:
These would be a better addition to your seatcover: http://www.studsandspikes.com/buy/spikes-c-43.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tenchi

Judge Wapner ruled on a similar case on People's Court....

Post by Tenchi »

This was years ago, in California. A guy sued his neighbor because their cat went into his garage and shredded the leather interior of his classic sports car. Wapner ruled that cats are considered "wild" animals and the owners of the wretched beast are not responsible for damages. Afterwards, the plaintiff stated that since the cat was considered a wild animal he would treat it as such the next time he caught it on his property....with the three "s" principle...

Shoot, shovel, and shut up.
kneil67@yahoo.com

Post by kneil67@yahoo.com »

pepper mace around the bike
PeterC

Re: Judge Wapner ruled on a similar case on People's Court..

Post by PeterC »

Tenchi wrote:This was years ago, in California. A guy sued his neighbor because their cat went into his garage and shredded the leather interior of his classic sports car. Wapner ruled that cats are considered "wild" animals and the owners of the wretched beast are not responsible for damages. Afterwards, the plaintiff stated that since the cat was considered a wild animal he would treat it as such the next time he caught it on his property....with the three "s" principle...

Shoot, shovel, and shut up.
Wapner is an idiot. A domestic cat is just that, domestic, not wild. If people will not be responsible for their pets, they can and should be held responsible and will justifiably be held to the "three s" penalty.