Other PGO scoots?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Drumwoulf

Other PGO scoots?

Post by Drumwoulf »

Someone on this list has been trying to sell a PGO T-Rex for a while. As they're in my area, I've been mildly interested. However when I checked with Larry, the Buddy dealer closest to me (in Phila), he says his mechanic wouldn't be able to perform any maintanence or repairs on the T-Rex...
And I'm wondering why? To me, the bike seems to be like a larger style Buddy with 25 more cc's and 12" wheels. But it is an older model PGO, so maybe I'm over-simplfying things? Does anyone here (outside of the seller) know any stuff about these PGO T-Rexes? I'm wondering how difficult it might be to get parts for it?

(Someone did mention that I might be able to get it serviced at a NJ Vespa shop, but they're kind of a 'boutique classic' style place and I don't like to use that kind of shop...)

drummer
codemonkey

Post by codemonkey »

I find it odd that a scooter shop would be unwilling to service a scooter that they don't sell.
Kristy

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good
Drumwoulf

Post by Drumwoulf »

codemonkey wrote:I find it odd that a scooter shop would be unwilling to service a scooter that they don't sell.
I assume you're just a kid being sarcastic here...
But why wouldn't they want to service it? I'm not asking for anything free here, y'know? A shop also makes money servicing and repairing scoots, and a T-Rex is a PGO just like a Buddy is...

If I break down on the road with my Honda Reflex scooter, I don't expect a different Honda MC dealer not to service it because I didn't buy it from them, right?

Seems that service is almost a forgotten commodity these days. Just that bottom line is important, right?

drummer
Scootin_in_MS

Post by Scootin_in_MS »

I think Codemonkey was agreeing with you. I take my scooter to a Truimph dealer, no other Buddies in sight. They have no problem servicing my scoot. Maybe because the service guy loves scooters, but the management is really friendly as well. Like you said, they're getting paid, so why not?

Jody
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

Scootin_in_MS wrote:I think Codemonkey was agreeing with you. I take my scooter to a Truimph dealer, no other Buddies in sight.
The only shop in my town that sells scooters (a few maxis and the Honda Metro pushed back into the corner of their large showroom) won't service anything they don't sell "we barely keep up as it is". So I have to go to my dealer an hour away.

-Mark
codemonkey

Post by codemonkey »

I'm pretty sure my scooter shop services everything. They sell buddies and kymcos but in their service area you can see that they're working on everything. I see lots of different kinds of scoots back there.

It's like taking your chevy to a ford dealer for repairs just because your favorite mechanic works there. They don't sell them but they'll fix anything.
Kristy

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good
Keys

Post by Keys »

Most scooter shops will work on anything...although, there are a number who won't touch the mainland Chinese produced scooters. The issue is probably parts. Since it's a model not imported by Genuine, your dealer may not be able to find parts.

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
Bryce-O-Rama

Post by Bryce-O-Rama »

Some dealers want to work on the brands they sell because getting parts is easier, the service and repairs are more routine, and it's a pretty well known thing. It basically takes them less time to do it. Time = money. Plus, there are plenty of Honda/Yamaha/Suzuki/Kawasaki dealers who are busy enough supporting the bikes they sold. So I can understand why some dealers don't service other brands.

For an oddball like the T-Rex, I can see why a dealer wouldn't want to service it. If stuff is hard to find parts for, it costs the dealer time/money to track down the parts. Plus he or she has it sitting there in their service area taking up space. Basically, it's a distraction from the more profitable jobs for the brands they already support.
- Bryce
Drumwoulf

Post by Drumwoulf »

Thanks to all for their answers. Both the pro and the con positions make sense to me now... :wink:

Namaste,
~drummer~
KidDynomite

Post by KidDynomite »

I would reccommend finding a local scooter club replete with gear-heads. Make sure they aren't the two-stroke snobby type and you'll probably find yourself an excellent shade tree mechanic.
You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner Dottie, a REBEL.
Sparky

The T-Rex in Canada

Post by Sparky »

PGO Canada sells the T-Rex in both 50cc and 150cc forms. If you need parts, you could source them over the border at pgoscooters.ca The distributor has been around for two years, and I've seen a few PGO's on the road around Montreal.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

they have them in Hawaii too.There are lots of PGO's
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Drumwoulf, did you ask Larry why Philadelphia Scooters won't work on the T-Rex? He's a really nice guy, and I would expect him to give you a fair and honest answer. I love that shop...they have been very supportive to me and many of the Hostile City Scooter Club members, too.
ModBud #442