An open letter to the sportbike rider I encountered today.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Anachronism

An open letter to the sportbike rider I encountered today.

Post by Anachronism »

Dear sportbiking sir,

Thank you. Thank you sir, for changing my world. There I was, mired in ignorance, sitting on my Stella waiting for the light to change, when you took it upon yourself to enlighten me as to the error of my ways.

It was just the forceful, graceful, and dare I say, arousing way that you approached the intersection to make your left turn, while simultaneously pulling in the clutch, flooring your bike, and giving me "the finger" (in the parlance of our time), that got my full, undivided attention and let me see the error of my ways.

The sound of your hacksaw-unmuffled engine surely let everyone within earshot know you were the man in command (don't ask, don't tell, lieutenant!), and it spoke directly to my heart. And your appearance! If only your worn leather jacket could talk and regale me with all of its stories of how your mom accidentally threw it in the washer! And your hair, that would blow so freely in the wind were it not shellacked in a few fistfuls of "product!" Who would dare to suggest head protection, because what god would dare to allow harm to befall YOU?

I have been so, so very wrong. My life is a waste, most notably the parts that involve scootering. Because, when I commute to and from work, I am failing to broadcast to everyone how cool I am, which is the only reason one should venture outside of their house. I can only dream of what I could have done with my life if it was nobly spent riding around on my hacked up, dropped sportbike, bragging about the "bitches" leaving "snail trails" on my back seat, while demonstrating how "hacksawed pipes save lives."

My only true regret is that, no matter how hard I try, I can never truly BE you. I will always come up short in my quest to live up to your standards.

I yearn for you.

Sincerely Yours.
Valves are for wussies.
Keys

Re: An open letter to the sportbike rider I encountered toda

Post by Keys »

Anachronism wrote:My only true regret is that, no matter how hard I try, I can never truly BE you. I will always come up short in my quest to live up to your standards.
...one can only hope fo fall short...

--Keys
"Life without music would Bb"
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

:clap:

Well penned sir, well penned.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
michelle_7728

An open letter to the

Post by michelle_7728 »

The way the story was going, I thought you were going to say that he ran into the curb or slipped in the gravel or something, after his 'friendly' gesture.... :P
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Priceless Anach :) Good stuff indeed.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Eloquent indeed. Ride on.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

Leaving what on the back seat!?! :lol: Nice job. I too have been there. Think he is compensating for something? I think so.
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
ciano

Post by ciano »

I began the now locked "No Gasoline Scooters" thread on this forum where there seems to be plenty of intra-[scooter]community hostility for novelty and the academic. Given this, the motorcyclist's unfortunate reaction isn't so surprising to me.
Roose Hurro

Post by Roose Hurro »

ciano wrote:I began the now locked "No Gasoline Scooters" thread on this forum where there seems to be plenty of intra-[scooter]community hostility for novelty and the academic. Given this, the motorcyclist's unfortunate reaction isn't so surprising to me.
Now, now, ciano... play nice! :P

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
loodieboy

Post by loodieboy »

Beautiful testimony, Anachronism!
ciano wrote:I began the now locked "No Gasoline Scooters" thread on this forum where there seems to be plenty of intra-[scooter]community hostility for novelty and the academic. Given this, the motorcyclist's unfortunate reaction isn't so surprising to me.
I get it! You ride a sportbike, don't you?

Edited to note: Wait, that's right. You don't ride.
Clearly.
beeporama

Re: An open letter to the sportbike rider I encountered toda

Post by beeporama »

Anachronism wrote:you approached the intersection to make your left turn, while simultaneously pulling in the clutch, flooring your bike, and giving me "the finger"
Wait, how is this possible without three hands?
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

For some reason I don't think the squids are lurking the scooter forums.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

BuddyRaton wrote:

For some reason I don't think the squids are lurking the scooter forums.
Sorry. This fine gentleman flipped the bird after letting the clutch out. Basically Mr. hacksaw exhaust rolled through the left turn lane banging his engine off the rev limiter while staring at me, then slipped out the clutch and gave me the finger while making his left turn. Truly a knight, with a steed that had "only been dropped a few times."
Valves are for wussies.
TVB

Post by TVB »

bigbropgo wrote:Think he is compensating for something? I think so.
I am. That's why I had to get a 50cc scooter instead of 125cc. :)
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

Cute. I haven't seen any hostility to novelty or the academic here, quite the opposite. We had several good threads about the E-bubu before you arrived.

Frankly, the hostility is aimed at you, not the subject.

Many of us choose to run scooters for the economy and/or the environmental friendliness. Personally, I think it is pretty ironic that you would come here and disparage us over not running electric scooters- wouldn't a Hummer forum be more deserving of getting harangued over their choice of vehicles and damage to the environment? Most of us are trying to be solutions to the problem with a sensible option.

Your approach is like a police chief deciding that the homocide and drug detectives should be reassigned as a jaywalking task force.
Valves are for wussies.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

And let it be said that I have ZERO problems with guys running sportbikes, harleys, or any other vehicle. I give waves and thumbs up to all of them, especially bicyclists.

Just like I understand they chose to ride what they ride with different motivations, I expect a bit of the same.
Valves are for wussies.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Ciano: Give it a rest.

Hilarious write up, Anachronism. 8)
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

TVB wrote:
bigbropgo wrote:Think he is compensating for something? I think so.
I am. That's why I had to get a 50cc scooter instead of 125cc. :)
:lol: :lol: Unfortunately for me, I got a problem to the other extreme. I just can't afford a semi-truck. :lol: :lol:

Nice write up OP.
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
TVB

Post by TVB »

Anachronism wrote:And let it be said that I have ZERO problems with guys running sportbikes, harleys, or any other vehicle. I give waves and thumbs up to all of them, especially bicyclists.

Just like I understand they chose to ride what they ride with different motivations, I expect a bit of the same.
Exactly: Two Wheels Good. (Except for the jerks.)
rajron

Post by rajron »

When the guy in leather vest, long sleeve shirt, doo rag, blue jeans and leather boots left the north motorcycle parking lot this morning in 31°F weather on his tricked out V-Rod Muscle, spinning those huge 240/40 tires reaching over 60mph in less than a hundred feet for no reason at all, everyone was impressed, but, none of us in the lot at the time could understand why he did that type of exit that is other than to impress the other bikers in the lot, we only cared that his open exhausts hurt our ears. When thinking back on that scene after reading the “Open Letter to the Sport Bike Rider”; that V-Rod rider had no reason other than to impress, and he was lucky not to have been busted by security, for he would have been banished from the site, but, it was very impressive by itself.
To each his own and now I even wish I had a tricked out V-Rod, but it costs nearly 4X more than my scooter and I have a fairly expensive scooter.
laxer

Post by laxer »

TVB wrote:
Anachronism wrote:And let it be said that I have ZERO problems with guys running sportbikes, harleys, or any other vehicle. I give waves and thumbs up to all of them, especially bicyclists.

Exactly: Two Wheels Good. (Except for the jerks.)
Two wheels good, four wheels bad. All rides are equal, just some rides are more equal than others :wink:

And to the whiny baby pants, it's only scooter on scooter hostility if both parties actually ride.
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

I've read the OP and still can't figure out why the sportbike rider was irate enough to give him the finger. Was it just because he was on a scooter?
Using the internet for evil since 1994.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

rsrider wrote:I've read the OP and still can't figure out why the sportbike rider was irate enough to give him the finger. Was it just because he was on a scooter?
Prolly. I get that from time to time. Hostility JUST because I'm on a scoot....
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Kaos wrote:
rsrider wrote:I've read the OP and still can't figure out why the sportbike rider was irate enough to give him the finger. Was it just because he was on a scooter?
F#*K YOU SCOOTER BOY!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

BuddyRaton wrote:
Kaos wrote:
F#*K YOU SCOOTER BOY!
Ohh no, has that become the new "WHY RED IS RED!" :P

I wear that sentence with pride, since it was earned outrunning a streetbike :goofy:
Coffeejunkie

Post by Coffeejunkie »

Reminds me a of a few weeks ago when a guy kept on telling me that I NEED to get a motorcycle because I just couldn't possibly be happy with my scooter.
Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

http://javascoots.wordpress.com/
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Wait a tick...
Kaos wrote:
BuddyRaton wrote:
Kaos wrote: Prolly. I get that from time to time. Hostility JUST because I'm on a scoot....
F#*K YOU SCOOTER BOY!
Ohh no, has that become the new "WHY RED IS RED!" :P

I wear that sentence with pride, since it was earned outrunning a streetbike :goofy:
I didn't put that together until just now... but I've seen that saying before!
rsrider wrote:Image
:rofl:

I have no clue what that thing is that's on the shirt... not sure I want to know.

Maybe the finger is a rebellious form of a salute!? Like opposite day...
loodieboy

Post by loodieboy »

Is the shirt a photoshop or is it really available?
Clearly.
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

My wife and I had a similar episode last summer.

3 idiots on crotch-rockets (going the opposite way) made a u-turn about 2 blocks behind us just to zoom past us. At the next light we see them once again... headed in their original direction, laughing at us... until both my wife and I gave them the one-finger salute. We just wanted to let them know that they were number 1 in our book.
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

Edit:I was responding to a pulled post. Wouldn't make sense anymore.
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
loodieboy

Post by loodieboy »

bigbropgo wrote:Edit:I was responding to a pulled post. Wouldn't make sense anymore.
No, you aren't alone. I saw it too.
Clearly.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

loodieboy wrote:
bigbropgo wrote:Edit:I was responding to a pulled post. Wouldn't make sense anymore.
No, you aren't alone. I saw it too.
I'm quick, but I guess not quick enough! 8)
MrNatural

Post by MrNatural »

In my opinion the original rumination to start the post was suitable for Best of Craig’s List.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

Apparently so. I had been sitting at the light for about 30 seconds before he got there. I don't think he even saw me moving, so it is pretty hard for me to come up with some way that I wronged him, aside from existing, I guess.
Valves are for wussies.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Alrighty then. So I removed the hijack (for the second time again) and unlocked this thread. It's clever and pretty light hearted and it made me sad to see it sink down towards the bottom of the page because someone had trouble letting go.

So, We apologize for the fault in the thread-jacking. Those responsible have been sacked.

Let's keep it light hearted and funny. No skullduggery, douchebaggery, malpractice or talk of stupid shi*. Unless it's in a funny way. :roll:

Back to your regularly scheduled shenanigans, and all that fluff...
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Excellent. Now where were we... ah, yes... well said Anachronism!!

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Roose Hurro

Post by Roose Hurro »

Anachronism wrote:
Apparently so. I had been sitting at the light for about 30 seconds before he got there. I don't think he even saw me moving, so it is pretty hard for me to come up with some way that I wronged him, aside from existing, I guess.
For some people, that's reason enough to hate others.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

Roose Hurro wrote:
Anachronism wrote:

I was riding to work one morning and a car pulled up beside me at a light. Guy roles down the window and yells "Hey!.... Hey!..... You're f@#%ing gay, man" and speeds off.
I don't get it. Whatever, though. My scooter is still a helluva lot of fun, in spite of a few knuckleheads. That was just after I got my scooter 18 months ago and nothing like it has happened since.

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
TVB

Post by TVB »

Howardr wrote:I was riding to work one morning and a car pulled up beside me at a light. Guy roles down the window and yells "Hey!.... Hey!..... You're f@#%ing gay, man" and speeds off.
I just wish I had run into that gentleman when I was 13. It would've saved me a few years of confusion if someone had explained it to me that clearly. ;)
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

TVB wrote:
Howardr wrote:I was riding to work one morning and a car pulled up beside me at a light. Guy roles down the window and yells "Hey!.... Hey!..... You're f@#%ing gay, man" and speeds off.
I just wish I had run into that gentleman when I was 13. It would've saved me a few years of confusion if someone had explained it to me that clearly. ;)
+1 :rofl:
As a girl on a scooter, I'm just waiting for someone to pull up next to me and yell "you're *&^%ing straight, woman!"... I guess I'd have to get all irate or somethin' if that happened.
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

WOW! :clap:

its always the gentlemen's on scoots that get harsh remarks :(
bpatrick5

Post by bpatrick5 »

Did this specific Sportbike Rider have a mullet? I only ask because I think there's nothing cooler looking than the party end of a mullet blowing in the wind while riding a wheely down the interstate at 85 MPH. It's so cool, in fact, that my only sighting of this was followed by a police car blowing by me in hot pursuit. I suspect the officer was so impressed that he wanted to get the Sportbike Rider's autograph. Mostly, I just wanted to use the word "mullet" in a post (bucket list check mark).

That being said, where do you all live that you actually catch flack for riding a scooter? I've certainly had some looks, snickers and maybe a finger or two pointed at me, but I haven't had any animosity thrown at me. I wonder what the appropriate response would be? I'd probably just smile and give the politician thumbs-up.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

r0sa wrote:WOW! :clap:

its always the gentlemen's on scoots that get harsh remarks :(
I got an unusually high amount of junk yelled at me last week. I say "unusually high" because I get crap called out to me (and also thrown at me) on a fairly regular basis, but it's typically about once a week. Ah, Filth-adelphia. Anyway, one guy told me to "get a REAL bike." I was like, HUHHH??? And then I realized I was living some LOLz:

Then another guy told me I needed the Fat Lane. When I heard him yell that to me at the stoplight, I did this face :shock: then this :lol: I mean, who says that?! It was just too absurd. So absurd, in fact, when the light turned green, I easily sped my fat ass far away from his motorized vehicle. O, what larks. :roll:
ModBud #442
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

Howardr wrote:
Roose Hurro wrote:
Anachronism wrote: Apparently so. I had been sitting at the light for about 30 seconds before he got there. I don't think he even saw me moving, so it is pretty hard for me to come up with some way that I wronged him, aside from existing, I guess.

I was riding to work one morning and a car pulled up beside me at a light. Guy roles down the window and yells "Hey!.... Hey!..... You're f@#%ing gay, man" and speeds off.
I don't get it. Whatever, though. My scooter is still a helluva lot of fun, in spite of a few knuckleheads. That was just after I got my scooter 18 months ago and nothing like it has happened since.

Howard
Yup, I had a group of teens/20s scream faggot at me last summer. I got pissed off something fearce and flipped them off, but I soon realized that I was on a 230lb scooter and they were in a very large old car and had proven themselves completly ignorant. Its really best to jsut ignore it. I think guys on scooters definietly get more flak, maybe its because we are flaunting the fact that we have nothing to prove. :lol:
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
MrNatural

Post by MrNatural »

pdxrita wrote:
TVB wrote:
As a girl on a scooter, I'm just waiting for someone to pull up next to me and yell "you're *&^%ing straight, woman!"... I guess I'd have to get all irate or somethin' if that happened.
Well, if the loafer fits.........
Actually I've found it highly entertaining when you pretend you can't quite hear what they are saying. This is particularly effective if you have a full-face on. For instance you could say something like "WHAT??? YOU'RE LOOKING FOR A GAY MAN???" You have to really sell it like you're straining to hear and really want to help them. I had one guy repeat about 4x what he was trying to say. Each time you get them to repeat the taunt they seem to realize how absolutely ridiculous they sound.
My other scooter is a Schwinn.
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

MrNatural wrote:
pdxrita wrote:
TVB wrote: I just wish I had run into that gentleman when I was 13. It would've saved me a few years of confusion if someone had explained it to me that clearly. ;)
Well, if the loafer fits.........
Actually I've found it highly entertaining when you pretend you can't quite hear what they are saying. This is particularly effective if you have a full-face on. For instance you could say something like "WHAT??? YOU'RE LOOKING FOR A GAY MAN???" You have to really sell it like you're straining to hear and really want to help them. I had one guy repeat about 4x what he was trying to say. Each time you get them to repeat the taunt they seem to realize how absolutely ridiculous they sound.
:lol: Now that would be funny :lol:

idiot: " hey faggot!"

me: " may forget what?"

idiot: " your a faggot!!!"

me: " I forgot what? it my topcase unlocked?

idiot: " F*cking faggot!!!!!!!!"

me: "thank so so much, sometimes I do forget to lock it and its actually very dangerous!"

I'll have to try this next time :twisted:
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
LuvMyScoot

Post by LuvMyScoot »

polianarchy wrote:I get crap called out to me (and also thrown at me) on a fairly regular basis
What??? You get stuff THROWN at you? Anyone who gets stuff thrown at them and refuses to let this dampen their love of scooting is a role model for us all. Set your senses to catch some admiration coming your way from CT!
Syd

Post by Syd »

LuvMyScoot wrote:
polianarchy wrote:I get crap called out to me (and also thrown at me) on a fairly regular basis
What??? You get stuff THROWN at you? Anyone who gets stuff thrown at them and refuses to let this dampen their love of scooting is a role model for us all. Set your senses to catch some admiration coming your way from CT!
Ha, it's Philadelphia. they throw iceballs at Santa!
The majority is always sane - Nessus
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

I'm deeply disturbed that bigbropgo did not get the "trail" reference in the original letter and nobody helped him out! Where's the loving scooter community I know and love? It's simple. When you walk you leave footprints. A snail leaves a snail trail. That's at least one answer my thesaurus gives :?
EZPZ #65
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

:lol: :lol: i got it, i was just being a jack ass. but yes, nobody pulled me aside and whispered a little secret in my ear. no love for me. :cry:

i thought it was funny.....gross, but funny.
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR