Highway legal?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Howardr

Highway legal?

Post by Howardr »

I need to do some interstate travel on the Buddy in Arizona, New Mexico and Texas. Where do I look to find out if I am legal. I've "heard" that in AZ as long as the vehicle is 150cc I'm freeway legal, but i want to know for sure, i.e. see it in print.
Any suggestions?

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

I believe you are good on AZ freeways with 150cc and above. But check with the AZ DMV to be sure.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
TVB

Post by TVB »

AZ's online laws only say that a "motor driven cycle" isn't allowed on limited-access roads, but they don't define that (presumably leaving that up to the DOT to set).
Syd

Post by Syd »

^^ And here they are, along with the Rules, whatever they are:
http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/mvdrules/index.asp
The majority is always sane - Nessus
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

if you can keep up with traffic...then why not?
mattgordon

Post by mattgordon »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:I believe you are good on AZ freeways with 150cc and above. But check with the AZ DMV to be sure.
The Buddy 150's are actually 148cc. The VIN plate lists it (mine anyway) as a motor driven cycle.

The Kymco People 150 f'rinstance is 152cc. It's VIN plate lists it as a motorcycle.

Depending on your state's laws regarding such, the Buddy isn't but the Kymco is highway legal!

YMMV
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

mattgordon wrote:
Skootz Kabootz wrote:I believe you are good on AZ freeways with 150cc and above. But check with the AZ DMV to be sure.
The Buddy 150's are actually 148cc. The VIN plate lists it (mine anyway) as a motor driven cycle.

The Kymco People 150 f'rinstance is 152cc. It's VIN plate lists it as a motorcycle.

Depending on your state's laws regarding such, the Buddy isn't but the Kymco is highway legal!

YMMV
The Genuine 150cc's are highway legal in CA.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

I talked to a Sheriff's deputy. His take on it is that as long as there aren't more than 5 vehicles being held up behind me (the definition of "impeding traffic") then I will be fine.

Now I just have to find out what the rules are in New Mexico and Texas. Any help out there? I know there are several Texans.

Howard
mattgordon

Post by mattgordon »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:
mattgordon wrote:

YMMV
The Genuine 150cc's are highway legal in CA.
I beg to differ...
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Let he who has never rounded up beg the first differ!
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
mattgordon

Post by mattgordon »

Lostmycage wrote:Let he who has never rounded up beg the first differ!
:D
pineapplemice

Post by pineapplemice »

I always thought that as long as you could get over the minimum speed of the highways then you're fine. That being said, my 50 goes over 40mph, but I still wouldn't take it on the highway - that just sounds like a death wish!

Another local scooterist has a vintage scoot that I think is 150cc (it can get up to 65mph), but he mentioned that it wasn't highway legal.

Good luck!
Communication Design Student. Pet owner. Hookah lover. Scooterist.

Scootin' since October 10, 2009.

Graduating in mid-May and moving to Kirkland, WA. Anyone know any good scooter groups in the area?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Restrictions vary by state; some have specific CCs listed, others do not. In all, the scooter must be able to maintain minimum speeds.

For AZ, you may want to search here: http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
brape

Post by brape »

Connecticut has a law says 150 cc minimum and tiers bigger then 10 inches, so no buddy is legal here. I wish I could find where I found that again. All of our entrence ramps say no mopeds... my local shop owner and his buddies actually got pulled over by a cop because of it.
TVB

Post by TVB »

I've tried in vain to find a comprehensive list somewhere, and it can be a bit of work just to track down a single state's rules, since they rarely have a web page titled "requirements to ride on limited-access highways". So how about crowd-sourcing it? If everyone here researched their own state's rules, we'd have a fairly good list. I'll start:

MICHIGAN: "A person shall not operate a motorcycle with less than a 125 cubic centimeter engine, moped, farm tractor, or other self-propelled farm implement, nor shall a pedestrian, bicycle, except as provided in this section, or other nonmotorized traffic be permitted on a limited access highway in this state. Bicycles shall be permitted on paths constructed separately from the roadway and designated for the exclusive use of bicycles." source
rickko

Post by rickko »

mattgordon wrote: The Buddy 150's are actually 148cc. The VIN plate lists it (mine anyway) as a motor driven cycle.

Your post reminded me: The CC listed on your scooter can be a financial benefit insurance-wise. Be sure you tell your agent the CC's on the VIN plate or the sales brochure(whichever is smaller). Sometimes insurance rates will change at 150 or 1000cc or other dividing points arbitrarily chosen by insurance companies.
Ride it like you enjoy it!
MB member #2568
Baldjohn

Post by Baldjohn »

Howardr wrote:I talked to a Sheriff's deputy. His take on it is that as long as there aren't more than 5 vehicles being held up behind me (the definition of "impeding traffic") then I will be fine.

Now I just have to find out what the rules are in New Mexico and Texas. Any help out there? I know there are several Texans.

Howard
That's GREAT advice, and it prevents road rage against scooters IF the scooterist is aware of the traffic behind them and allows vehicles to pass even if it means completely pulling over and letting traffic pass. Attitudes about the 'rights to the road' only cause more attitudes.

To expand a bit, and I wish I could find this in writing, there are exceptions to which vehicles are allowed on REMOTE highways. This even allows bicycles to travel on Arizona highways when there just isn't any other possible way to get from point A to point B. This also applies to small engine vehicles and you are allowed to ride on the shoulder of the highways. I also believe these rules have to do with city limits etc... A good rule is to exit the highway as soon as possible when approaching a metro area and taking an alternative route as far as possible before getting back on the highway to continue on your trip. Ride as much as you can on rural roads, but when the highway is the only way, you can.
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

get your self a gazateer map for each state you plan on going thru
yes they are a bit bulky but they go as far as showing forset service roads and many small roads that can help you get around a lot of places with out hitting the highway
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
Vic

Post by Vic »

Lostmycage wrote:Let he who has never rounded up beg the first differ!
Age and weight, I round down.

Scooter cc, I round up!

:wink:

-v
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

ericalm wrote:Restrictions vary by state; some have specific CCs listed, others do not. In all, the scooter must be able to maintain minimum speeds.

For AZ, you may want to search here: http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/
Thanks, Eric. I had found that earlier. I read through it and can't find what I need. Too much legaleeze.

Howard