crappy weather in midwest

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ScootLemont

crappy weather in midwest

Post by ScootLemont »

ok... in the 60's in the chicago area all week & today, when I wanted to fire up the scoot for the first time since last year (& put on my new top case) we have SNOW (& I have a pub crawl tonight)
WTF?
rajron

Post by rajron »

Here its not so great either;
Yesterday it was seventy degrees F; today we have this, it will mostly melt by two in the afternoon, but, first day of spring – no good, dog wont even go in the backyard. (funky phone picture)
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

you should have been riding all week long
heck the past 2 weeks have been great riding weather for this time of year
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

The only good thing about snow this time of year is that you know it won't be on the ground for long.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

What is this "snow" you people keep talking about?
Using the internet for evil since 1994.
TVB

Post by TVB »

jasondavis48108 wrote:The only good thing about snow this time of year is that you know it won't be on the ground for long.
(Walks to window.)

Still there.
jasondavis48108

TVB wrote:
jasondavis48108 wrote:The only good thing about snow this time of year is that you know it won't be on the ground for long.
(Walks to window.)

Still there.
thats one of the drawbacks to living in western michigan. Lake effect means you folks genrally have snow for longer than we do here in south east michigan :(
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
LuvMyScoot

Post by LuvMyScoot »

I feel for you. It blows when Friday is gorgeous and Saturday is the opposite. Luckily here in New England today was the best; 70 and sunny. The two wheeled brigade was out in force. I mean everywhere you looked it was motorcycles and more motorcycles. I swear the cars felt like they were in the minority! The smallest minority? Me on my Buddy. I didn't see another scoot in 4 hours of riding.

It's supposed to be about 40 on Monday :cry:
LuvMyScoot

Post by LuvMyScoot »

rsrider wrote:What is this "snow" you people keep talking about?
Laugh it up, fuzzball!
dwayneed

Re: crappy weather in midwest

Post by dwayneed »

ScootLemont wrote:ok... in the 60's in the chicago area all week & today, when I wanted to fire up the scoot for the first time since last year (& put on my new top case) we have SNOW (& I have a pub crawl tonight)
WTF?
Yeah, bummer of a Saturday. Thankfully I got almost 500 miles in this past week, AND a new Stella!
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

rsrider wrote:What is this "snow" you people keep talking about?
:lol:

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Dr. Rock

Post by Dr. Rock »

Yeah I rode all week. BUT, went from 70 yesterday (Friday) to 30 and blizzard conditions all day today. (Hello Spring!) From the look of the map be back on the road by Monday probably Tues.... It Happens...
Ifn ya don't like the weather in Oklahoma wait 30 minutes. ;)
Last edited by Dr. Rock on Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Twitter: @Drjuggernaught
Rob

Post by Rob »

At least some of you folks had sense enough to check the weather forecast beforehand.

I'm spending the weekend about two hours southeast of Chicago. On Saturday morning it was in the 50's and sunny, so I decided to go out for a ride. Of course ... once I was close to 60 miles away .... the front hit. Temps dropped into the mid 30's, the sun disappeared, and the wind picked up.

The cajones are still not back to normal size.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
TVB

Post by TVB »

(Walks to window again.)

Still there.
jasondavis48108

TVB wrote:(Walks to window again.)

Still there.
You still have snow, that sucks! They threatened us with snow but I don't think we ever actually got any here in Ann Arbor. btw TVB, does your scooter have a lwoer top speed when its cold out. I can't figure out if its the temperature or the winter weight I put on but my scooter seems to have lost about 5mph on the topend :(
TVB

Post by TVB »

The sun's out now, so most of the snow that isn't in the shade is vanishing.

I haven't been paying much attention to my speedometer: too busy watching for potholes and generally taking things slowly to avoid slipping on the moraine left in the road from the receding glaciers. Plus, if my top speed is slower, that wouldn't prove anything, because I'm carrying extra weight since last fall as well. :(
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

snow is gone..... should be 60 on Tuesday
think its time to top off the battery & pick up a new spark plug
Orange Guy

Post by Orange Guy »

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

I was a bad Buddy owner and just put it in the garage last fall ... no battery tender, no sta-bil in the tank, no cover.

I checked tire pressure (all good) and a couple kicks later, it fired right up.

Did some riding this afternoon. Kept stomping the floorboard for a brake ... Too much shifty last year. Rode to the library to get some chicken books. And then rode around just for grins. :)

My old putt-putt Allstate is getting a mechanical overhaul this spring. Going to put some pep in to those old bones.
Last edited by Orange Guy on Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I suppose I should be upset, even feel violated, but I'm not. No, in fact, I think this is a friendly message, like "Hey, wanna play?" and yes I want to play. I really really do.

Orange Guy, Inc.
Dr. Rock

Post by Dr. Rock »

The weather has been great. got over 100 miles since monday! Scoot on!!
Last edited by Dr. Rock on Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Twitter: @Drjuggernaught
Vic

Post by Vic »

Orange Guy wrote:WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

I was a bad Buddy owner and just put it in the garage last fall ... no battery tender, no sta-bil in the tank, no cover.

I checked tire pressure (all good) and a couple kicks later, it fired right up.
:oops: :oops: :oops:
I was planning to do some riding of the Sym over the winter months (the Fates and MOther Nature vetoed this plan with a sprung shoulder and record setting snowfall).

I also have to fess up to not taking very good care of my Sym (the Buddy was lovingly transported ala Trailer Queen to my friend's shop and cared for all winter long).

I did manage to get out there and start it a couple of times but it spent most of the winter under a blanket of snow (no garage). I dumped some Seafoam in it toward the end of last season but did not top off the tank. I did move it to keep the tires from being damaged when the snowfall allowed me to (maybe once a month).

I obtained a gallon of high octaine gas (my understanding is that the octaine goes in older gas and I do not know how much Seafoam was in the gas in the tank, so I figured a bit more would only help) and after sloshing about half of it on the ground, my shoe and pantleg, topped off the tank (I love that the Buddy's gas access is on top where I can get to it without having to stand on my head and pour it in with only the assistance of gravity!)

I then hopped on and fired it up, it took a little work but it started up, the tires pressure was fine and lights all working so off we went.

I am not going to be a bad scooter owner next year, I promise I will do the right winterizing preparations.

-v
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

rajron wrote:Here its not so great either;
Yesterday it was seventy degrees F; today we have this, it will mostly melt by two in the afternoon, but, first day of spring – no good, dog wont even go in the backyard. (funky phone picture)
Looks 'purrrdy' I didn't know it could snow in Albuquerque Or wanted to!!!

What kind of seeds do you plant in those pots to grow the orange pin flags?? :rofl: (sorry I couldn't resist) :rofl: :rofl:
peabody99

Re: crappy weather in midwest

Post by peabody99 »

ScootLemont wrote:ok... in the 60's in the chicago area all week & today, when I wanted to fire up the scoot for the first time since last year (& put on my new top case) we have SNOW (& I have a pub crawl tonight)
WTF?
well I think it is terrible you have not ridden since LAST year. Come on, I live in Cleveland and rode at least a few days in Dec, Jan, and Feb and am riding the a lot this month. I actually think this has been a milder midwest winter than normal. Maybe not warmer, but less snow and ice.
rajron

Post by rajron »

Hee, hee; must be blind didn’t realize those were there until you pointed them out, I’ll pull them out today. It snows in Albuquerque every year, several times, not a lot but it snows just enough to create havoc; as a matter of fact it snowed today as well then it cleared up, it usually clears in a short time.
LuvMyScoot

Post by LuvMyScoot »

rajron wrote:Hee, hee; must be blind didn’t realize those were there until you pointed them out, I’ll pull them out today. It snows in Albuquerque every year, several times, not a lot but it snows just enough to create havoc; as a matter of fact it snowed today as well then it cleared up, it usually clears in a short time.
When it snows do people not notice those huge pots if they don't have the flag pins in them?