break-in/top speed?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

PTB

break-in/top speed?

Post by PTB »

Just wanted to get a sense of break-in periods and how they affect performance.

I just ran a few errands over lunch and was in a rush to get back to work, so I took the limited access freeway.

On flats, I'm topping out at 67-68 mph (indicated). Slight grades up, low 60s, and slight grades down I was over 70mph (indicated). Only in a full tuck sometimes. I weigh approx 190-195.

I haven't seen numbers like that on my Buddy 125 ever. Is this normal for a bone stock setup?

I'm approaching 4500 miles on the odometer. Can this be explained as break-in? On the other hand, its a nice, cool, dry day in Minnesota (low 50s, sunny, low humidity). Could it just be that the buddy likes the cool air?
Italias have more fun.
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Pooka was running exceptionally well today, about 5 mph faster than usual on all grades. Every once in a while she'll just seem to be feeling more alive than usual. I'm wondering if it's just the perfect air/temp/climate for the carb or something.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I'd say 2000 miles itself is a complete break in. Hitting a indicated 68mph is really good and sounds normal. I dont think it'll go any faster than it does right now even if it had 8000 miles.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

You're definitely past the break in period, but your numbers aren;t too out of the ordinary.

The Buddys do like cool air, though! I've noticed better performance in all my scoots when the temps are in the mid 40s-low 60s.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Rob

Post by Rob »

I hit optimal performance on the Buddy just after 1000 miles. But, as many others have mentioned, top end speed is a function of many factors. Some have been mentioned, but wind speed/direction, tire pressure, load weight/drag, etc., can all factor in.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

I've notice that my Buddy likes the cool air too, and have been in the +70mph indicated range too and even had it to the mid/upper-70's going down a long steep hill. And I am 230lbs.

But on those days when the air is heavier, humidity is high I have had trouble maintaining 60mph going uphill (or 55mph during a series of uphill climbs). Though on a flat road I can easily be in the mid-60's.
chuck_theobald

Post by chuck_theobald »

I managed 67 mph on a long straight stretch. Weather was hot, not too humid. This was well after break-in (~1800 miles). I was actually pulling away from a Stella!

I get a noticeable increase in power immediately after an oil change.

For high-speed traveling, I have read elsewhere in modernbuddy that the rating of your tires becomes important. I think the stock rubber is rated for up to something like 65 mph.
pyrocpu

Post by pyrocpu »

Hmm... that's strange... on a gentle downhill, with my mid-level windscreen, and tuckage, I've seen an even, indicated 80mph on my Blackjack. 145# rider here...
Update: "Bought the motorcycle, still have the Blackjack... wife wants me to sell Blackjack..."

Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

chuck_theobald wrote:I managed 67 mph on a long straight stretch. Weather was hot, not too humid. This was well after break-in (~1800 miles). I was actually pulling away from a Stella!

I get a noticeable increase in power immediately after an oil change.

For high-speed traveling, I have read elsewhere in modernbuddy that the rating of your tires becomes important. I think the stock rubber is rated for up to something like 65 mph.
J-rated, translates to 62 mph. :)
Vee Rubber's VRM-134 tires are wonderful, L-rated for 75 mph, and $30 each. ;)