LA to San Diego on the scoot...

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

JoshInLA

LA to San Diego on the scoot...

Post by JoshInLA »

Hi- I've had my buddy for about six weeks, and have about 825 miles on her. I'm going to San Diego this weekend, and was curious if anyone had any advice?? This will be by far the longest trip I have taken on the scoot. Also if anyone has done this specific trip before, maybe route suggestions? From the westside of LA to downtown SD. Thanks.
n2tattoos

Post by n2tattoos »

how do you plan to get past Pendleton? from what i understand, you need someone in the military to get you a pass.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Congrats on your new Buddy! As mentioned, from LA to SD there is a stretch where unless you can get a pass onto/through Camp Pendelton, you have no choice but to take the highway (you can take a massive inland detour but it really is quite massive). I've been wanting to do this ride for ages but have yet to find a way through the Base.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
JoshInLA

Post by JoshInLA »

Ugh...that's really upsetting. Looks like I'll be stuck in the car for god knows how long......thanks for the input, glad I figured it out now- it would have sucked to learn the hard way.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

You can get a pass to go through Pendleton but they require boots and a military-spec reflective vest.

Info and contacts here: http://www.pendleton.usmc.mil/informati ... access.asp

You may want to call; I've heard of people just riding up and being allowed through.

There's also the eastern route around the base, but you'll be in for a very long and trying ride going this way.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
JoshInLA

Post by JoshInLA »

Great!! I'll call in the morning. Do you happen to know what the requirements for a military spec vest are? Seems well worth it. I have always hated driving, but since I got the scooter I find it nearly unbearable.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

ericalm wrote:You can get a pass to go through Pendleton but they require boots and a military-spec reflective vest.

Info and contacts here: http://www.pendleton.usmc.mil/informati ... access.asp

You may want to call; I've heard of people just riding up and being allowed through.

There's also the eastern route around the base, but you'll be in for a very long and trying ride going this way.
Great to know! You certainly are a vast reservoir of information Eric :)

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

You need this:

It's an Icon Mil Spec Backpack.

It's approved for use on military bases and it holds a lot and has built in compression straps. I actually used it as my laptop/electronic, raingear, snack and paperwork bag when I went on vacation last fall. I wasn't on the bike or near any military bases, but no one missed me coming and no one could have taken it unnoticed, lol. It's a lot of bag and very purpose built. If you actually use the helmet compartment and strap your jacket to it, you'll look like a pack mule. A bright orange pack mule.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
JoshInLA

Post by JoshInLA »

According to the guy that answered the phone on the base, after checking with his superior, told me if I have no business on the base, I'm not welcome on the base. I guess they figure if they're going to be fighting for oil, we might as well burn it.....
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

I've been wanting to do the reverse ride and me and N2Tattoos road to the South Gate at Pendleton to inquire. First, the 18yr olds watching the gate kept giggling at our "mopeds" They told us that we needed full gear, reflective vest, proof of passing MSF and even then, without a sponsor, it was up to whomever was watching the gate when we arrived.

Getting a sponsor is as easy as knowing ANYONE with permission to be on base and having them get a pass. It would be an easy peasey ride then. And showing up is always better than over the phone.

But thus far, it's not a ride I've done. The inland ride would be a really neat one but yeah, REALLY long. I wouldn't scoot on that stretch of the I5. It's loads of young military folks driving like they've got nothing to lose (really fast and really reckless). If you could do it in the witching hours like be on that stretch btwn 4-5 am - MAYBE you'd get through with very few knuckleheads on the road. But even then I'd be white knuckled and scared!
JoshInLA

Post by JoshInLA »

Thanks for all of your help. You have spared me much wasted time and frustration. I looked into taking the eastern detour, but it adds about 70 miles and 2 hours to the ride, which is something I would actually consider, but that also adds 26 turns. I don't see a way for a new scooterist to safely navigate 26 turns in unknown territory without getting lost, or pulling over every 5 minutes to get the directions out of my pocket. Looks like the cage for me.

For the record, I think this is a really absurd situation.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

if you think you will be doing a lot of traveling, consider a gps, they take all the headache out of driving in unfamiliar places. They have mount for scoots.
rondothemidget

Post by rondothemidget »

I've had fun with Google maps and figured out a way to get from LA/OC to Palm Springs. At Cabazon, you could go north a little ways and make it all the way to Arizona.

I wouldn't attempt sneaking on I5 through Camp Pendelton. Most people drive 80-90 in that stretch between San Clemente and Oceanside. Kaos probably has the only Buddy that could keep up at those speeds.
n2tattoos

Post by n2tattoos »

rondothemidget wrote:I've had fun with Google maps and figured out a way to get from LA/OC to Palm Springs. At Cabazon, you could go north a little ways and make it all the way to Arizona.

jijifer and i will be heading up to palm springs in about a month. what's the route from palm springs to LA?
rondothemidget wrote:I wouldn't attempt sneaking on I5 through Camp Pendelton. Most people drive 80-90 in that stretch between San Clemente and Oceanside. Kaos probably has the only Buddy that could keep up at those speeds.
totally agree.
rickko

Post by rickko »

Here's the civilian bicycle route through Pendleton. Maybe someday when driving southbound you might route yourself to the northern guardhouse on Las Pulgas Rd. and ask them their policy since they let bicycles through there. I've ridden the route a couple of times on a bicycle myself years ago.

Generally, if you're going to ride a motorcycle or scooter on a military base they'll want you to have an orange reflective vest, close toed shoes that go above angles, insurance and registration proof, a driver's license and likely a full-face helmet or one with face protection.

I've always found it ironic that you can ride a bicycle on a military base at the same speed you'll go on a m/c or scooter yet you need zero protection but if you're on a motor cycle/scooter you've nearly got to wear body armor.

..rickko..

Ride it like you enjoy it!
MB member #2568
rondothemidget

Post by rondothemidget »

n2tattoos wrote:
rondothemidget wrote:I've had fun with Google maps and figured out a way to get from LA/OC to Palm Springs. At Cabazon, you could go north a little ways and make it all the way to Arizona.

jijifer and i will be heading up to palm springs in about a month. what's the route from palm springs to LA?

I can send you the link if you PM with your email address. This is from Imperial Highway in OC. I haven't actually taken this route but it seems like the most direct. The only issue is you would be on the 10 freeway for less than a half mile before it turns into the 110 highway.

4. Turn left at S Imperial Hwy
5. Turn right at N Rose Dr - 1.1 mi
6. Take the 3rd right onto CA-142 E/Valencia Ave - 0.4 mi
7. Turn right at CA-142 E/Carbon Canyon Rd - 8.4 mi
8. Turn right at CA-142 E/Chino Hills Pkwy (signs for CA-142/Chino Hills Pkwy) Continue to follow Chino Hills Pkwy - 2.0 mi
9. Turn left at Ramona Ave - 1.0 mi
10. Take the 2nd right onto Edison Ave - 8.5 mi
11. Turn right at Hamner Ave/S Milliken Ave - 0.6 mi
12. Turn left at Bellegrave Ave - 1.3 mi
13. Turn right at Jurupa Rd - 3.1 mi
14. Turn right at Van Buren Blvd - 3.5 mi
15. Turn left at Central Ave - 5.7 mi
16. Continue onto Alessandro Blvd - 0.7 mi
17. Turn left at Chicago Ave - 1.0 mi
18. Turn right at Central Ave - 2.1 mi
19. Slight right toward Sycamore Canyon Blvd - 0.3 mi
20. Continue straight onto Sycamore Canyon Blvd - 0.7 mi