Cannot find a helmet that fits....

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

pugbuddy

Cannot find a helmet that fits....

Post by pugbuddy »

I'm getting pretty frustrated. I got a crappy little open faced helmet when I originally bought my scooter but, as I became more cognizant of the need for safety, I moved up to a full faced modular from HJC.

Sadly, I found that the full faced mod really hurts my head if I have it on over 45 minutes or so. In fact, it tears up my forehead (right at the hairline) pretty good over time.

So I figure I'll go find one that fits well and buy that one! Simple, eh? Not so much.

I seem to have a head that is "between sizes". A medium in pretty much every helmet I've tried is too small; a large is too large. I'm searching for a modular FF but I'm about to give up hope of that--I've tried on everything and nothing fits. Even FF helmets, which I don't care too much for, don't fit well.

I may be forced to wearing only crappy (as in cheap) open-faced helms if I cannot find something since nothing good seems to fit! Any suggestions?
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Find one that is slightly too small, once it's broken in and the padding is compacted from you wearing it, it should fit perfect after some useage.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Go to a larger motorcycle shop (with a large selection) and describe your problem. They deal with head shapes of all sizes. Once you find the brands that fit your head shape, look for models of those that have different sized padding inserts. That way, you can take the large and have it custom fitted. The padding might cost a little more (like $30) but if it's comfortable enough to wear for longer times, then it'd be worth it.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

While I'm all in favor of you getting a FF, have you tried using a silk balaclava or do-rag under the helmet? If it's friction that's doing a number on your forehead, then that might help.
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

Have you thought about changing out the forehead part of the padding in your HJC for the next size up? I changed out the cheek pads in my HJC modular helmet as they were squeezing my cheeks too much, and now it's much better. I think I ordered the new pads from Newenough.com.
dawg onit

Post by dawg onit »

i recently cut off my dreds and tried to rock a beanie to keep my helmet tight. i looked in a few shops to score something safer but ended up finding a open face from the sixties i couldn't pass up on, especially since he wouldn't sell it, i had to trade. fits like a glove, but I'd also like something super safe.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

jfrost2 wrote:Find one that is slightly too small, once it's broken in and the padding is compacted from you wearing it, it should fit perfect after some useage.
This is not necessarily true at all. It's not really like breaking in a pair of tennis shoes!

The best advice is to try on every helmet you can and take some serious notes of exactly WHERE the helmet feels too tight or too loose. Changing the pads for a size up is also a really good trick.

Finding the perfect fit can take a long time. Ask ericalm about his helmet search.

I would not buy a helmet expecting it to 'fit perfect after some usage.' It might, but it also might not. My helmet fits a bit tight around my forehead (which is closer to a fivehead) and still does after over a year.
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Lostmycage wrote:Once you find the brands that fit your head shape, look for models of those that have different sized padding inserts.
This is what I ended up doing. I have a Scorpion FF and an XL fit my cheeks but gave me headaches after 30-60 minutes. An XXL fit my forehead but was loose on my face. Pretty frustrated when I discovered they sold the helmet liner and pads seperately. XXL helmet with L liner/pads and all is right with the world...and I didn't have to order an Arai like I was dreading!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Lostmycage wrote:Go to a larger motorcycle shop (with a large selection) and describe your problem. They deal with head shapes of all sizes. Once you find the brands that fit your head shape, look for models of those that have different sized padding inserts. That way, you can take the large and have it custom fitted. The padding might cost a little more (like $30) but if it's comfortable enough to wear for longer times, then it'd be worth it.
+1 on this advice

One of the best things you can do is go to a motorcycle show like the IMS. As jmazza mentioned, I went through an exhaustive search for helmets that fit me right. It was only after trying on dozens at IMS that I was able to find the one that was right.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Lagerhead

Re: Cannot find a helmet that fits....

Post by Lagerhead »

pugbuddy wrote:I moved up to a full faced modular from HJC.

Sadly, I found that the full faced mod really hurts my head if I have it on over 45 minutes or so. In fact, it tears up my forehead (right at the hairline) pretty good over time.

I don't know which HJC you have but I found out the hard way that the HJC CL-MAX FF modular helmet fits me pretty well, but the HJC IS-MAX FF Modular "really hurts my head if I have it on over 45 minutes or so. In fact, it tears up my forehead (right at the hairline) pretty good over time."

I think it's because of the little red decorative piping right at the hairline in the IS-MAX...
Vic

Post by Vic »

I don't have any advice or suggestions, just want to let you know that you are not alone. I have a strangely shaped head that is apparently lopsided and I have trouble getting a good fitting helmet also. I have 3 different helmets that I rotate between, one that is for cold weather, it is a little on the looser side (I did not say it is loose, just on the looser side) and I can fit a fleece liner underneath it which makes it fit perfectly. I have another one that is a small and it is very lightweight and quite comfortable but kind of smooshes my face (I dont mind the feeling, so it works). I have a modular that fits okay enough and i sometimes wear a liner under it and a half helmet that I wear for group rides sometimes (personal choice).

-v
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

Sounds like pugbuddy has a long oval head like mine. Many helmets don't fit me front to back.

If you can afford it, consider a Aria Profile helmet.

Also check out webbikeworld.com for reviews and advice.
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

Lots of good advice and thinking here, but I'll add a couple of minor points. When you do find that moto shop with lots of helmets, once you narrow your search down to a few, wear each of them around the store for a decent amount of time. It can take up to 20 minutes for the pain from a poor fitting helmet to start.

Before you go to the store, figure out what your head shape is. The fact that you didn't mention what your head shape is makes me think you need to do a little more research. Arai and others have helmet fitting guides on their websites, google them and do some reading. A good store should be able to fit you but you should walk in as informed as possible.

Finally, there was some debate as to whether or not helmets can be "broken in" over time for a better fit. While I wouldn't use the term "broken in", I do believe that most helmets loosen a bit over time and that it's always wise to opt for a slightly snug fit over a slightly loose fit. True, you can fit new pads into many helmets but I'd rather do that only when the pads are really worn.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

While I'm all in favor of you getting a FF, have you tried using a silk balaclava or do-rag under the helmet? If it's friction that's doing a number on your forehead, then that might help.
Not friction. I didn't mention it but my head seems to be more oval--Arai doesn't work for me because their helmets are very "round". The HJC I have is the IS (I believe). I tried the CL and it did not fit well at all--after 20-30 minutes of wearing it in my house, my head hurt. The IS feels as if the helmet "ring" is very tight at the front of my head. No friction at all though.

I've been to Webbikeworld and other sites trying to get information on different helmets and I've hit every helmet shop in Tulsa and a couple in Dallas. I may look up motorcycle shows and see if I can find one in Dallas or somewhere else nearby.

I may try the larger helmet padding, if it's an option--that may help!

Good advice all around this thread! Thanks everyone! Don't stop if you've got more to add!
oryx

Post by oryx »

pugbuddy wrote:

Not friction. I didn't mention it but my head seems to be more oval--Arai doesn't work for me because their helmets are very "round".
I'd like to add, that Arai has 3 different helmet shapes from long oval to round.

I personally wear an Arai Vector and love that helmet (my head is an intermediate oval shape). My husband has a RX-7 Corsair. These are our first and only helmets and we had them for over 1.5 yrs now. It'll loosen up a little and mold to your head so it fits like a glove... it was the only helmet i tried on that didn't give me temple pressure points when i wore my big sunglasses.

Definitely try on a bunch and wear it around and move your head around for a little while in the store.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Cheshire wrote:
Lostmycage wrote:Once you find the brands that fit your head shape, look for models of those that have different sized padding inserts.
This is what I ended up doing.
+1. My SO and I have both custom fit a couple of different helmets in this way. Even allows you to refit later after some of the foam compresses.
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

I started out trying helmets at a bike shop before I was going to take motorcycle foundation training class. they had loaners but I have very sensitive skin and U know better then to wear someone's stuff. At the first place they pushed Arai. I did not like the fit. It felt like there was a cone over the top of my head and my temples were squashed and hurt.A larger size was too loose. So I figured I must have a "Shoi head". First place did not carry Shoi so I went to the other place. Tried on a Shoi. That did not fit at all and the price was outrageous. then I spotted HJC on sale. Tried their medium and and was a perfect fit. I went online and ordered exact same helmet at $20 less then the motorcycle store and it was free shipping and they had the color of the graphics I liked (matched my jacket) which the store did not have. For my kiddo in case of emergency need to ride with me I got the DOT certified KBC helmet adult medium. It has radiation sign graphics and it was $29.00 . I am sure he will not even get to wear it and by the time he does we will need to upgrade the size. But for that price for now just in case it serves its purpose.
Don't go for the most techie and the most expensive. Sometimes you can find good stuff that fits for a reasonable price.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

like you I upgraded to full face after riding a while which of course I should have done it from the get go since you are not as skilled in the beginning thus increasing your risk.

Anyway I first got a flip up Fulmer (mid priced to cheaper hemlet). I would get exteme pain after about 40 minutes of riding in the back-top if my head. My spouse has the same helmet and has no issues.

After complaining of the pain issue on a forum, a few different types of helmets seemed to come up for people that have head pain issues-Shoei and Arai. I can tell you neither are cheap, but people rave about them.

I went to a MC superstore (2 hours from home) and tryed on the Shoei (rf1000), and the rest is history. For one thing I accepted the help of staff who said the helmet should be very snug, not something I am naturally comfortable with. After a week or 2 it fits your head like a glove, and there is no pain what so ever. I rode for 5 hours one day and 5 the next right after buying it and had no issues.

What ever you do, try on before purchasing, ideally with someone who should coach you on how snug it should be.

It was a bit more that I like to spend ($300 on sale), but I do so much riding I sucked it up.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

No luck on changing the interior padding. Apparently, HJC does not make different sizes of helmet padding for the IS helmets! Bummer.

I'm trying to find a store that sells the Arai Profile helmet as that is their FF helmet that is shaped as a "long oval". No luck so far. Since Arai does make replacement helmet padding, I may have to buy the helmet, see if it fits and, if necessary, replace the padding in it to make it fit better! Ye gads, what a process....

I've tried pretty much every other helmet around (Scorpion, HJC, Fulmer, Shoei, etc...). I haven't found KBC or Bell helmets in this area.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

I talked with a girl at Scorpion (the company, not a dealer) and she recommended trying a Large EXO-900 with a Medium Liner as the Medium Liner is thicker and may help the fit.

So I go up the local Honda store, which I know has the EXO-900 in stock and they have a Medium Helmet. I've tried it before but figure "what the heck" and put it on again while I explain my dilemma to the (very good looking) sales girl who is cleaning the helmet shelves. She goes in the back to see if they have a Large and comes back shortly thereafter to sadly announce they only have XL and 2XL in stock.

No one around here carries ARAI helmets--she called a few places for me.

In the meantime, I kept the EXO-900 on for around 15-20 minutes and it felt very good. Granted, it wasn't a long time but it was comfy and I didn't notice the same pressure points that I felt when wearing my current (painful after 45 minutes) helmet.

Now, I wonder if I should order the EXO-900 or the Arai with my New Enough GC! Decisions, decisions.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

I talked with a girl at Scorpion (the company, not a dealer) and she recommended trying a Large EXO-900 with a Medium Liner as the Medium Liner is thicker and may help the fit.

So I go up the local Honda store, which I know has the EXO-900 in stock and they have a Medium Helmet. I've tried it before but figure "what the heck" and put it on again while I explain my dilemma to the (very good looking) sales girl who is cleaning the helmet shelves. She goes in the back to see if they have a Large and comes back shortly thereafter to sadly announce they only have XL and 2XL in stock.

No one around here carries ARAI helmets--she called a few places for me.

In the meantime, I kept the EXO-900 on for around 15-20 minutes and it felt very good. Granted, it wasn't a long time but it was comfy and I didn't notice the same pressure points that I felt when wearing my current (painful after 45 minutes) helmet.

Now, I wonder if I should order the EXO-900 or the Arai with my New Enough GC? Decisions, decisions.
DonkeyScoot

Post by DonkeyScoot »

I have a Scorpion XL EXO-1000. I upgraded from a EXO-700 and that was a L but the 1000 in L is too small on my head.

But check this out... the 1000 has inflatable cheek pads! So you can pump them up to whatever fits you so even if it's a tad bigger you can make it fit without having to buy separate pads for it.

Oh, and it has a bad ass internal drop down sun visor. I really love the heck out of this helmet. It was about $300. You should try one on.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

I'm so sorry you're having helmet issues.
I got my Z1R Metro helmet from RevZilla, and well a medium was a medium, fits me as if custom fitted.... Guess it's the only thing I have that's 'normal' sized!
I'm claustrophobic therefore cannot/willnot wear a fullface!
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

But check this out... the 1000 has inflatable cheek pads! So you can pump them up to whatever fits you so even if it's a tad bigger you can make it fit without having to buy separate pads for it.
Yep, the EXO-900 has the inflatable cheek pads too. However, the problem I'm having has to do with the forehead area so the inflatable pads don't help there.

I really want the EXO-900 since it's modular and I really like modular helmets (the one I have is modular but I can only wear it 45 minutes before it really hurts).

I think I'll order the EXO-900 and hope for the best. If I have to, I'll return it although I hate to do that (since it costs New Enough money).
MrNatural

Post by MrNatural »

I suck at posting pics so you could use this like to get some ideas.... : )
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Gazoo
My other scooter is a Schwinn.
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

I've got an oval head and my wife has a small round head. The only helmet she's ever found that fits is Arai. I've tried the Arai ovals because I love the finish of Arais but they just don't fit me.

The best options for my oval shape come from Scorpion, Shoei and Shark. The most comfortable helmet I've ever worn was a Shark but I had to return it because it was just too noisy at speed. My EXO 400 and RF1000 fit like gloves and are quiet to boot. The Scorpion is better in cold weather where the Shoei tends to fog up a bit. The Shoei is better in hot weather because it vents better. Tie breaker? The Shoei has a better visor and visor release system.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

I'm glad to read I'm not the only one with fit issues . My prob is a little different. I don't have a fore head, I have a five head. Most helmets just fit strange. I have a Vega, (Moto X style) and I hate it. But the price was right at the time. Some one else mentioned this already but my first snowboard helmet came with five different pads. All fastened with little Velcro tabs. If you get a helmet that fits close but has a little slop, they might fix it. The brand was pro-tac but I know red and Burton helmets have them also. Might be worth a look. Then you don't have to get the expensive ugly helmet because it fits. You can pick up the one you really, really liked and custom fit it.
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
bluezurich

Post by bluezurich »

I kept trying on full face helmets in my price range that worked with my Oakleys and then for kicks started trying on higher end models, well whatta know? They fit/feel so much better!

I wrangled a sweet deal with a closeout on a Shoei FR 1000 for 239 and when I brought back the medium I initially picked up a few days later to trade for a large the manager was pretty pissed I got such a good deal. Helmets are like bike saddles, totally personal but what is your head worth? Try the Arais and Shoeis, you might be amazed.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

I ordered the EXO-900. If it doesn't fit, I'll go with the Arai Profile and hope!