Accident Hit and Run

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Rbuddy

Accident Hit and Run

Post by Rbuddy »

Hi all!

Just thought I'd vent a tiny bit.

Today I had to purchase some food for our parrot and decided to make the short run to the shop on my scooter. The main road from my house makes turning left a dangerous proposition so I take another street that runs parallel to ours that has a red light at it's intersection. I've live here for 37 years so I know that at that intersection you never want to pull up to the white line because idiots turning left onto this road always cut into the left turn lane (where I was). So I am sitting there on my scoot, waiting for the signal to change so I can turn left while watching out for people turning onto the road. I see a big dark colored van turning left, in my direction. I could tell he was cutting it way too close, into my lane. I tried to turn a little right to get some distance from him and I think I managed to but not enough. His front right tire hit my front tire and knock me over. Fortunately I received no damage physically but the front wheel is trashed on my scooter. None of the plastic is busted that I can tell. As far as the disc brake, forks or frame there is nothing obvious, but I know that even subtle damage can be a huge deal. To make it worse the guy in the van stopped and yelled something to the effect that it was my fault and at that point I threw rather colorful series of offensive words at him. Then he drove off! A driver behind me got his license plate number and another couple followed him. He knew he was doing the wrong thing because he tried to lose them in my neighborhood. When the police went to his house he was busy trying to remove the scuff marks off of his 1999 dodge van. To make a long story shorter, he ended up getting busted for leaving the scene of an accident with damages, my scooter is hosed but the insurance company seems to be handling it rather well. It may be some time before the work will be done but in the end I survived being hit by a van and didn't get a scratch.

The Rockledge Police where very cool and helpful in handling it. They were super pissed that the guy had hit me, acknowledge that he hit me and then drove off.

Could have been worse for sure so it hasn't ruined my weekend :D
easy

Post by easy »

glad your ok
PasadenaSue

Post by PasadenaSue »

Yes, glad you are alright. And thankful that some people decided not to let him get away with a hit and run!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Wow, glad you're okay. Hearing a lot of stories about negligent/malicious/evil drivers these days. Could it be they're getting worse? Maybe it's just because it's riding season.

Regardless, hope they get what's coming to them. It has nothing to do with scooters and cars and everything to do with being a responsible, decent human being.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Glad you're OK and that you got your guy. Your local PD ranks way higher than Richmond PD did when I got in a hit and run. Way higher!

It's a good feeling when someone has to make amends for their wrongs, isn't it? :twisted:
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
cheez37

Post by cheez37 »

ericalm wrote:Wow, glad you're okay. Hearing a lot of stories about negligent/malicious/evil drivers these days. Could it be they're getting worse? Maybe it's just because it's riding season.

Regardless, hope they get what's coming to them. It has nothing to do with scooters and cars and everything to do with being a responsible, decent human being.
I'm sure its riding season, but the potential for massive unemployment on the Space Coast can't be discounted. With the pending end of the Space Shuttle program in September, there will be a lot of people out of work. (We have a little of that here in Houston. I'm in the space biz and might lose my job as well. It's not as big of an impact here, since oil is king, but there are a lot of people who have that worry on their mind to distract them.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

It has nothing to do with scooters and cars and everything to do with being a responsible, decent human being.
I agree. I'm not sure why but overall it seems the people who are NOT decent to start with are sure making themselves known more often.

I'm really glad you're ok and everything turned out well!

On the positive side, we rode from Tulsa to Muskogee today (about an hour) and it was a nice, safe, peaceful ride. Lots of motorcycles (the Azalea Festival was on so it was busy) but everyone was sharing the road well and looking out for each other! An impressive number of two wheeler waives too--even in the high winds!
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
Rbuddy

Post by Rbuddy »

Thanks for all the 'Happy your Ok's" :D

Fortunately I had insurance as did the driver and since it was obviously his fault I just have to wait for an adjuster and the lonnnng wait to get it repaired (assuming it doesn't get totaled). The nearest dealer is about 60 miles away and they have at least a 10 day back up (they do Victory motorcycles, high end bicycles and Genuine scooters).

Going to get back up on my 'horse'. I do not want to look back on my life and wish I had done things that others consider risky. Not that I plan on jumping out of a plane or anything, but I really like riding on two wheels :D
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

awesome! if you need a new front end let me know ;D
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

Rbuddy wrote:Thanks for all the 'Happy your Ok's" :D

Fortunately I had insurance as did the driver and since it was obviously his fault I just have to wait for an adjuster and the lonnnng wait to get it repaired (assuming it doesn't get totaled). The nearest dealer is about 60 miles away and they have at least a 10 day back up (they do Victory motorcycles, high end bicycles and Genuine scooters).

Going to get back up on my 'horse'. I do not want to look back on my life and wish I had done things that others consider risky. Not that I plan on jumping out of a plane or anything, but I really like riding on two wheels :D
if it does get totaled out realy think about the buy back option
they will charge you either a % of the pay out or what the estimated salvage value at auction is

if its not much damage and you can fix it you can keep your scoot fix it yourself and pocket the extra cash
this is what i did with my stella

as long as the forks arent bent and the tube where the forks pass thru the frame is good you should be good to go
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
Ray Knobs

Post by Ray Knobs »

at the very least get the salvage price and report back here. I am sure you could sell it as a parts bike and make a few $100.
beeporama

Post by beeporama »

It can be so hard to remember to get the plate number in the heat of the moment, whether you are the victim or an eyewitness. I'm glad someone was on the ball.
Rbuddy

Post by Rbuddy »

The insurance person came by today and took a look at my scooter. She was very upfront that the estimate she gave was probably wildly inaccurate and would likely have to adjust the payout once the damage was assessed by a dealer. I am really concerned because the obvious damage likely hides even more severe damage behind the plastic. I cannot upload any pictures right now, but in a nut shell the front wheel is bent bad enough that it no longer can roll. I cannot tell if the forks are damaged or the brakes, visually there are some scuffs but no outwardly obvious physical damage. Given that a van rolled over the left side of my front tire what is the likelyhood the frame would be damaged? The plastic all seems intact except on the handlebars the top plastic has popped out, not sure if that was caused by the impact of the scooter hitting the ground or if there was any twisting.

I really do not want it repaired if it's not going to handle properly afterwards.

Very frustrating...scooter out of commision for who knows how long (they have to have it transported into Orlando).
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

Can you insist the insurance company pay for a rental? Surely there are scooter (not the medical kind) rental places all over Florida. It's worth a shot, anyway.
Vic

Post by Vic »

cheez37 wrote: I'm sure its riding season, but the potential for massive unemployment on the Space Coast can't be discounted. With the pending end of the Space Shuttle program in September, there will be a lot of people out of work. (We have a little of that here in Houston. I'm in the space biz and might lose my job as well. It's not as big of an impact here, since oil is king, but there are a lot of people who have that worry on their mind to distract them.
If people are so distracted that they will run over a *stationary* scooter at an intersection they have no business driving.

This guy also added to the offense by leaving the scene, blaming the victim of his actions, and trying to hide the damage done to his own property. That is not simple inattention due to worry, that borders on anti-social.

A normal person that makes a mistake because they were distracted and runs over someone (and could have very easily killed them) does not respond in this way. This dude clearly has major issues and does not deserve to be lumped with the rest of us stressed out Americans.

JMHO,
-v
Rbuddy

Post by Rbuddy »

Vic wrote:
cheez37 wrote: I'm sure its riding season, but the potential for massive unemployment on the Space Coast can't be discounted. With the pending end of the Space Shuttle program in September, there will be a lot of people out of work. (We have a little of that here in Houston. I'm in the space biz and might lose my job as well. It's not as big of an impact here, since oil is king, but there are a lot of people who have that worry on their mind to distract them.
If people are so distracted that they will run over a *stationary* scooter at an intersection they have no business driving.

This guy also added to the offense by leaving the scene, blaming the victim of his actions, and trying to hide the damage done to his own property. That is not simple inattention due to worry, that borders on anti-social.

A normal person that makes a mistake because they were distracted and runs over someone (and could have very easily killed them) does not respond in this way. This dude clearly has major issues and does not deserve to be lumped with the rest of us stressed out Americans.

JMHO,
-v
The funny (in a strange, twisted, demented way) thing is I am one of those 10,000 people that are about to become unemployed in the area.

In this case I think the fact that the driver at fault was 70 years old.....and an idiot.
Rbuddy

Post by Rbuddy »

lmyers wrote:Can you insist the insurance company pay for a rental? Surely there are scooter (not the medical kind) rental places all over Florida. It's worth a shot, anyway.
I have an old pickup truck so I'm ok for now (assuming it doesn't spotaneously fall apart...it is 16 years old).
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

don't be afraid to ask for more. If the scoot was under warranty and they are giving a price to buy a used buddy that's just as old with just as many miles ask them to through in several hundred more dollars to cover the warranty you had left. if it's really new - tell them you need a new one because of the 2 year warranty left.

adjusters are there to screw you so keep asking for what you want not what they think they can get away with.
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

Rbuddy wrote:
lmyers wrote:Can you insist the insurance company pay for a rental? Surely there are scooter (not the medical kind) rental places all over Florida. It's worth a shot, anyway.
I have an old pickup truck so I'm ok for now (assuming it doesn't spotaneously fall apart...it is 16 years old).
Do it on principle. I bet that old truck uses at least 5xs the fuel.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

jijifer wrote:don't be afraid to ask for more. ...
Ditto on that. Insurance adjustors are paid to low-ball and give out as little money as possible. That is their job. When my Pathfinder was totaled AAA offered me $2500. Eventually, after a few phone battles and having a professional appraiser hired by AAA look at it, I got $8000; exactly what I had said it was worth in the first place. I'm just sayin'...

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
LuvMyScoot

Post by LuvMyScoot »

Glad that you're OK and that other people were helping to look out for you. Good people like that help make up for the idiots (like the driver who whacked you!)
beeporama

Post by beeporama »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:
jijifer wrote:don't be afraid to ask for more. ...
Ditto on that. Insurance adjustors are paid to low-ball and give out as little money as possible. That is their job. When my Pathfinder was totaled AAA offered me $2500. Eventually, after a few phone battles and having a professional appraiser hired by AAA look at it, I got $8000; exactly what I had said it was worth in the first place. I'm just sayin'...
For what it's worth, don't despair that this is going to be a pain, you might get lucky... my accident made me a loyal State Farm customer, they really treated me right:

Because it was a hit-and-run and I had uninsured motorist coverage, they called to tell me they were picking up what the other guy would normally have to pay; I did not even have to approach them.

They let my dealer inspect the scooter and say how much it would cost to fix EVERYTHING (including minor cosmetic damage); State Farm cut ME a check for that amount with no restrictions on the money. I didn't fix some of the very minor cosmetic scuffs and pocketed that difference.

They had me report my medical bills and the amount of time I lost from work due to injury (including the time I left work for physical therapy); they OFFERED me well over my costs including lost wages, presumably for "pain and suffering." I would not choose to have the crash again, but it was quite the silver lining.
michelle_7728

Accident hit and run

Post by michelle_7728 »

If you haven't already, you might want to trailer it down to where you bought it from and have them do a full inspection for you.

When I had my accident, I had mine towed immediately there and they were able to itemize for me all the different parts and prices, and tell me whether the frame was bent. If it ends up having a bent frame you can then think about whether it's worth it to you to buy it back or not (if they total it out, that is).

In my case, the buy back price was (I think) about $450. I then put another couple of hundred into panels, mirrors, a handlebar and new light and it was almost as good as new. (I say almost, because there's one panel I didn't bother replacing, as it wasn't scratched too badly) Plus, since it was totalled, and only a couple of months old, I got paid for the cost of the bike as well.

Your situation might be a little different if you have kept it in your garage. There were storage charges in my case, and the other insurance company had to pay them as well.

Let us know what happens, and good luck!
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's