Top case for less than $50

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

malakai

Top case for less than $50

Post by malakai »

i really, really did not want to spend a lot of money on a top case. I saw the Genuine, which are at the top of the money I was willing to pay.. did not like them.

So, I bought a plastic case (yes, cheap) for $45 on Amazon. It looks, well, good and can be detached. It has a handle to carry, and makes my Buddy look longer. If it does not disintegrate with the wind or weight, my money has been well spent. I installed it in 15 minutes.

bald dude

Post by bald dude »

Looks nice, can you give us a link to the item on Amazon?
rajron

Post by rajron »

Nice top case – looks bigger than the one I got from there.
I also got a top case from Amazon; funny name “Trunk Beautiful” – people have told me it is identical to the Buddy case except for the badges; and it cost less than fifty dollars also, I use it on my other scooter, my buddy doesn’t have a case. The case I got comes in various gloss finishes, I got a black one which matches my other scooter perfect, and for that matter it would match my black Buddy as well. Amazon has several cases that all seem OK – China made.
That said; I try to support the local scooter dealer, but when there is such a good deal somewhere else it’s hard to pass it up.
I read somewhere; top cases on scooters actually help aerodynamics, improving speed, and mpg, it supposed to smooth out the broken air from the rider – I have no idea if that right or not, it seems correct though.

I just saw someone asking about your case: just check search: top case
malakai

The link, good luck

Post by malakai »

bald dude wrote:Looks nice, can you give us a link to the item on Amazon?
Just use this link for which I made a search using “motorcycle trunk”: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... nk&x=0&y=0

=== They are called ”motorcyle trunk“ at Amazon.

The worst thing about it is the lock, but it is to be expected--I don't expect to carry any expensive items, just groceries. I like that it has a big, long horizontal reflective light on the back and that it has a handle. It is black , matte and matches the black matte accesories on my Buddy.

I selected one - whose shipping was $14.95. And yes, it is made in China. I see that there are less or actually none $44 top cases; the quantities are limited.

FROM THE BACK:
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

If you want a cheap topcase, check out this one. I'd go with the smaller one for the Buddy, but I've been using the large one for a while on my Touring bike and my big scoot. No complaints at all.

It's sturdy, simple and cheap!
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
rajron

Post by rajron »

Sears!
Never would have thought to look there – very inexpensive with the sale.
malakai

Post by malakai »

rajron wrote:Sears!
Never would have thought to look there – very inexpensive with the sale.
This one wins! :cry:
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

malakai wrote: This one wins! :cry:
I'm very sorry to to do that to you. I thought about posting it earlier, but I didn't want to steal your thunder. I changed my mind because I can speak for the case I've been using.

I will say this: A cheap case is a cheap case. There's a reason they're so cheap! I have absolutely no way of knowing if it's the same case that JC Whitney sells, but they're using the same pic and price. I'm extremely tempted to buy a backup case. It's not a bad idea to get a backup case. I've even seen expensive cases that suck, which makes me not feel so bad about using a cheap one, lol.

So, again, sorry Malakai. I'll see if there's any way to give you some Thunder back.

[edit] Actually, your Thunder is returned, it looks like the Sears site isn't available.
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

I got a case from JC Whitney for my Triumph Sprint RS, and have been using it for years. The first thing that broke was the detachment locks, but I screwed it down to the plate and it has been fine. Those $50 cases work as long as your don't overload them.
Using the internet for evil since 1994.
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

malakai wrote: I like that it has a big, long horizontal reflective light on the back
I'd double check your assumption that the long strip is reflective - it's probably not. Not even the more expensive cases have an actual reflector in that spot. You can make it kind of reflective by putting reflective tape under it, though.
malakai

Post by malakai »

You are probably right about ”reflectiveness“, but in the modified photo it glares as the reflective red triangles I placed on the back and sides, which are reflective... . If not, it is the best next thing, which is that it is red. Not expecting much for that price, so I am still happy, considerind that the other one is not available.
PasadenaSue

Post by PasadenaSue »

Umm, unless I missed something I just ordered a top case from Sears. The order went through AFAIK. You may want to try again.

And thanks to both Malakai and Lostmycage. I've been looking for a new top case for my scooter for awhile.

Buy 2 and shipping is only $3 more...
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

PasadenaSue wrote:Umm, unless I missed something I just ordered a top case from Sears. The order went through AFAIK. You may want to try again.

And thanks to both Malakai and Lostmycage. I've been looking for a new top case for my scooter for awhile.

Buy 2 and shipping is only $3 more...
I think the site was just down temporarily when I posted the "nevermind edit". I actually ordered another large size as a backup for the one I have now. At that price (assuming it's even close to the one in the pic - the famous JCWhittney case) it's impossible to pass up. Hell, I could even custom paint them to each bike if I didn't think that flat black goes with every bike.

Again, I can't speak much for the quality of the medium sized one, but the large one works great on both the Concours and the Scarabeo. As an added bonus, it seems there's an additional discount which knocks off the "large item handling surcharge" (which is bullshit - offer a real shipping quote) for the large case (too large visually for the Buddy IMHO).

As long as it's the same case that the ADVrider fellas were gaga over , I'll be quite happy to use it. I hope someone else gets some mileage out of this sale.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

The site's back up.

I'm going to Sears tomorrow to take a look at the case. I'm interested in how easy it is to get off the mount.

Does anyone have the ScootR Logic Hard Trunk? It's just over $50 ($65ish on New Enough) but I have a GC that would make it almost free if I ordered it! Any thoughts?
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

pugbuddy wrote:The site's back up.

I'm going to Sears tomorrow to take a look at the case. I'm interested in how easy it is to get off the mount.
I think it was a temporary glitch when the site went down/unavailable. As I said, I was able to order another one after that post.

As far as going to Sears, I'm about 99% sure that they won't have that in their retail stores. You can follow the link in the previous post, or just do a web search for "JCW (or JC Whitney) motorcycle top case" to see how it looks on various bikes. The large will look ludicrously over-sized on the Buddy. The medium, being 30L will seem a little on the large end, but should still be fine on the Buddy or Blur.

I got mine in this morning (before I left for work, which makes it the earliest they've ever delivered a package here) and it's exactly the same as the one from JC Whitney. Different key (that's a good thing!) and it seems all is well. Now I can swap and have a back-up, or just have one case per bike. Either way, the new case goes right on either bike.

My friend who now owns my old Buddy ordered the medium case, so I'll hopefully be able to tell something about that soon. I suspect it's a really good case for $40 to your door.
PasadenaSue

Post by PasadenaSue »

I ordered the case (per my last post) and it arrived a few days later. The medium is perfect for the Buddy, and much larger than the little top box I had been using. It went on in a flash. I'm happy with the purchase.

Thanks MBers!
PasadenaSue

Post by PasadenaSue »

Order today and get an additional 10% off!!! BTW the box had JCW on the side... :)