Which kind of helmet is best?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

macgawd

Which kind of helmet is best?

Post by macgawd »

Been wondering what is the best kind of helmet to get for scooter riding. I know that there are several kinds, and each probably has their benefits/drawbacks.

Personally, I like the look of the 1/2 helmet, or "brain bucket" as they are known, but these provide limited protection in case of a crash. Full-face helmets provide the best protection, but tend to limit visibility and hearing, which I think can be dangerous. The 3/4 helmet might be the best compromise between the two, but look dorky--sort of like Jim Carrey on the minibike in "Dumb & Dumber".

Any suggestions on what is the best helmet to get?

Michael
Scootin_in_MS

Re: Which kind of helmet is best?

Post by Scootin_in_MS »

macgawd wrote:Full-face helmets provide the best protection, but tend to limit visibility and hearing, which I think can be dangerous.
FF helmets do not limit visibility or hearing. The only time you'll have a problem is if you did not take the time to find the right helmet for your head-shape. That might limit vis and hearing, but it'll also be very uncomfortable. I have a FF HJC CL-15 Session, and I haven't experienced any limitations. It actually improved my hearing because it blocks out more wind noise, so sounds like sirens and horns come through clearer. And the face shield is tall enough, and comes around the side of my face far enough that there is no limit to my peripheral vision. No matter what type you decide on, just make sure you try on a lot of different helmets, get the right size, and wear it around the store before you buy it, to make sure there are no pressure points.

Jody
paige

Post by paige »

Flip up full face, aka modular. I have a Nolan 100E and Z1R Eclipse.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Scootin_in_MS wrote:
macgawd wrote:Full-face helmets provide the best protection, but tend to limit visibility and hearing, which I think can be dangerous.
FF helmets do not limit visibility or hearing. The only time you'll have a problem is if you did not take the time to find the right helmet for your head-shape. That might limit vis and hearing, but it'll also be very uncomfortable. I have a FF HJC CL-15 Session, and I haven't experienced any limitations. It actually improved my hearing because it blocks out more wind noise, so sounds like sirens and horns come through clearer. And the face shield is tall enough, and comes around the side of my face far enough that there is no limit to my peripheral vision. No matter what type you decide on, just make sure you try on a lot of different helmets, get the right size, and wear it around the store before you buy it, to make sure there are no pressure points.
What Jody said. Right on every count. Good job!

Michael, that stuff you said about full-face helmets is right out of the anti-helmet folks propaganda handbook, and none of it is true. Michael did a good job of debunking that already. Allow me to add that even in the silliest low-speed get-off in a little ol' patch of gravel, it's incredibly easy to fall on your face and injure your chin/jaw/skull. I fell that way in 2004 and I know I'd have ended up in the hospital if I hadn't been wearing a full-face (mine happned to be an HJC) helmet.

Ride safe!
macgawd

Post by macgawd »

Michael, that stuff you said about full-face helmets is right out of the anti-helmet folks propaganda handbook, and none of it is true. Michael did a good job of debunking that already.
Hmm. I've worn a full-face helmet before, and I had difficulty hearing as well has having to constantly turn my head more than seemed necessary to see what was coming up around me. Perhaps the helmet didn't fit right?
Allow me to add that even in the silliest low-speed get-off in a little ol' patch of gravel, it's incredibly easy to fall on your face and injure your chin/jaw/skull. I fell that way in 2004 and I know I'd have ended up in the hospital if I hadn't been wearing a full-face (mine happned to be an HJC) helmet.
I'm aware of the dangers of even low speed accidents, and want to get the best possible protection. I just have concerns due to past experience with full-face helmets, but perhaps I just had a bum helmet! I prefer the look and comfort of the "brain bucket" helmets, but don't want to risk my face just to look cool...

Michael
Beamie

Post by Beamie »

macgawd wrote:look dorky--sort of like Jim Carrey on the minibike in "Dumb & Dumber".
Michael
Helmets aren't a fashion statement.
Brains never heal.
Tamari

Post by Tamari »

I just got my Buddy last week. Have been riding practically every day. I wasn't sure which helmet to get, but decided on a full-face also. I know too many ER doctors who have horror stories regarding accidents. i just a slightly used HJC CL-14 (2005 model) for $65.00. It fits nicely; not too tight. I wore it home from work today for the first time, and I feel much safer (even if it looks like I should be riding a 1000cc motorcycle).

Go for the full-face. It's not worth the risk.
BoneGirl

Post by BoneGirl »

Definately full face. I'm an x-ray tech and have seen it all. I never want to do that kind of damage to myself or see anyone else suffer that. I bought my first scooter and first motorcycle helmet a few weeks ago and have had no problem with vision or hearing. My biggest drawback is I wear glasses and have to flip up the visor and remove my glasses every time I put on my helmet. Then take off glasses, put on helmet, put on glasses then flip down visor. Takes awhile but my face is worth it!
macgawd

Post by macgawd »

Ok, I see that the consensus is a full-face helmet. Obviously, the choice is mine to make, and I will consult the dealer to find out what their suggestion is for the best helmet. I'm still leaning towards the 1/2 helmet, but everyone's freaking me out with the pulverized-face stories, so I'm thinking hard about the full face.

Thanks everyone for your input!

Michael
mlstephens

Post by mlstephens »

Go full-face and you won't be sorry you did. We are really pleased with our Scorpion EXO-400 helmets.
OkieBuddy

3/4 helment with clear and tinted faceshields work great

Post by OkieBuddy »

I have a Fulmar 3/4 helment with tinted and clear faceshields. I use the tinted in the day and clear at night. It has been great, but still need to keep your mouth shut, in case a bug flies by too close.

Mine is SNELL and DOT approved, best of both worlds.

I also wear eye protection with the 3/4 helment, without the face shields occassionally, but the faceshields really protect you best from road hazards and bugs.

I am going to look into purchasing a full faceshield, mine protects down below the nose, and my helment has snaps for a full faceshield. I will let you know how they work out.
Jim
Lagerhead

Post by Lagerhead »

I wear a Full Face helmet and have never had any, problems/reservations/issues/regrets, whatsoever. I did take the time to make sure i got one that fit me well. I was a little disappointed by the fact that the one that fit me the best was $100.00 more than the one I tried first, but I got over it pretty quick.
My dad wore a 3/4 helmet with a bubble when he rode and the one time he went down, guess what hit first.... well it was his elbow, but he did end up almost grinding the cleft out of his chin.

To answer your question, the "best" helmet is the one you will put on EVERY time you ride.
golfingirl

Post by golfingirl »

This discussion has been very helpful to me. I, too, am new to scootering and have been having a hard time deciding what type of helmet to get. My friends have 1/2 helmets only... poor peer examples. One friend of mine rides a big sports bike and read me the riot act why I need a full face helmet. Alas, I bought a full face and am proud of my decision to take care of my brain and my family. It fits great and is comfortable so I know I won't hesitate to put it on. It's a SHOEI, very simple but felt balanced and therefore lighter than even some 1/2 helmets i tried on. Go for comfort. Spending an extra $100 off the top beats replacing it 6 months later if it's not comfortable.

Be safe.
Laura
ruthjenkins

Post by ruthjenkins »

I have both a full face and a three quarter helmet and living in Kansas City I will often choose a helmet by the temperature outside. My three quarter also has a plastic face shield for bug protection...both are HJC and very comfortable. I did find it was hard to get used to turning my head just a little further with the full face and one time I almost pulled in front of a car...but once I realized that I needed to turn my head a few more inches I have been fine.

Missouri requires helmets and I think that is great. We live on the border of Missouri and Kansas and Kansas does not require helmet but I will ALWAYS wear a helmet....I've only got one brain...don't know about brain transplats just yet!
macgawd

Post by macgawd »

Just this morning, a motorcyclist was killed when he was hit by a truck that ran an intersection. The motorcycle rider was wearing a full face helmet. Helmet style is no guarantee of safety.

Michael
golfingirl

Post by golfingirl »

We all hate hearing of those horrible accidents. I had a friend that was killed on a motorcycle when he was 18 years old, almost 1 year to the date of when his brother was killed on a motorcycle.

Helmets are no guarantee of safety. Just because you wear a full face helmet shouldn't make you feel like you are invincible. But, if you survive, you significantly increase your chances of having brain function. To me, that is living.
Laura
Beamie

Post by Beamie »

Look for DOT and SNELL stickers, otherwise it's an unproven experiment, and you are the guinnea pig.
sparty

Post by sparty »

Hey Bonegirl (or anyone else), what modle of FF helmet do you have? I went to try the HJC Cl-31 and CL-Max at a local motorcycle store today, and found it really hard to put my glasses in after I put on my helmet. I had to kind of force my glasses in between the liner and my face and was afraid that it'll bend/break my glasses. I ended up buying a half-helmet instead. After reading all these horror stories about faces getting mashed up, I want to buy a FF helmet for longer cross-town trips.

Anyone has suggestion of FF/Modular helmets for people with glasses?
ellen

Post by ellen »

sparty wrote:Hey Bonegirl (or anyone else), what modle of FF helmet do you have? I went to try the HJC Cl-31 and CL-Max at a local motorcycle store today, and found it really hard to put my glasses in after I put on my helmet. I had to kind of force my glasses in between the liner and my face and was afraid that it'll bend/break my glasses. I ended up buying a half-helmet instead. After reading all these horror stories about faces getting mashed up, I want to buy a FF helmet for longer cross-town trips.

Anyone has suggestion of FF/Modular helmets for people with glasses?
I've always worn sunglasses with my CL-14 full face and CL-Max flipup.
Some work fine and others dig into my temples when trying to put them on.
You might have to get another pair of glasses for riding.
Bring your helmet to the where ever you get your glasses made and try the different frames out.
JerryG

Post by JerryG »

I use a Fulmer Modus Full face Flip up helmet. Glasses are no problem at all. Just take them off before you take the helmet off.

Make sure it's DOT approved. A Snell approval is even better. Snell has not rated any Flip up helmets so you can only get the DOT in flip ups.

**Important note** Some people will tell you that flip ups aren't safe because they failed the Snell tests. Remember, Snell has not tested or rated any flip ups to date.

Whatever you get, make sure it's Full Face.

Peace
Scoot On!

Jerry
Scootin_in_MS

Post by Scootin_in_MS »

I have a HJC CL-15 Session, and I don't have any problems with my glasses. I have some thinner wire-type glasses and thicker plastic sunglasses. I can wear either pair with no problems. Different brands of helmets fit better with different head shapes, so you might need to try on different brands to find the right fit.

Jody
OkieBuddy

Full Face Saves Faces

Post by OkieBuddy »

I saw my wife today in the Emergency room after falling off her Buddy while turning a corner. If she had a full face helment instead of 3/4, her chin would not have road rash on it. Her faceshield was cracked, her left finger pulled out of socket, which she put back into place, while laying on the asphalt, had minor scratches on her hand and foot and her Buddy has a few scratches.

Get a full face helment, we are! and save your face for kisses, not road rash!! Wear long sleeves, gloves, boots and be prepared, you never know what lurks around the next bend! :shock:

I wished we had bought a full face first, not after seeing road rash on my wife's chin.

Hope this post helps your realize how important it is!!
Jim
sparty

Post by sparty »

Yikes. sorry to hear that. I ordered a modular helmet last week and it should arrive here any day now. After reading all these stories I am convinced to only ride with a full helmet.
jess

Post by jess »

Youch! I hope she recovers quickly.

How did it happen? Gravel in the turn? Sand?
Shellee

Post by Shellee »

Okiebuddy, so sorry to hear about your wife's spill. I hope she is recovering and that her injuries weren't serious. I'm sure you both are shaken up! There are things I really don't like about wearing a ff helmet, but I do like the fact that it will save my noggin in the event of a fall. I live in a no-helmet state and it still amazes me how many bikers I see on the road without a helmet.

Glad to hear you'll be wearing them too. Safe scooting!
~ Shellee
Genuine Buddy 170
www.scooterdiva.com
OkieBuddy

Pothole Edge Raised Up

Post by OkieBuddy »

MrsOkieBuddy was turning in an intersection when she ran over the edge of a pothole that had raised up due to the extreme heat we are having in Oklahoma. The traffic was heavy and she could not change lanes. I was not with her, she was riding with our grandson who called me about the accident. She said everyone was very helpful, asking if she was okay and if helped was needed.

I rode my Buddy home from work and got the pickup, knowing she probably would not want to ride her Buddy home and met them both at the hospital. She was doing okay with minor scrapes and her finger was not broken, just poped out of socket, that she (tough girl) put back. Her Buddy only suffered minor injuries like her. I rode it home for her as she took the pickup. She is doing fine today, just some swelling and stiffness in her left hand, thank you all for your concern, it is appreciated.
Jim
dahuffy

Post by dahuffy »

Mrs.Okiebuddy;
Kevin and I (Debi) send you our best and wishes for a very speedy recovery. So happy that you weren't alone on some back road somewhere. I always carry my cell phone with me for this exact purpose.
I also let Kev know where I'm going and which way I'm traveling.

Hope to see you out real soon. We ordered our back racks today. Have to find a pink or white milk crate now :D
"Cinderella is proof that a pair of shoes can change your life"
RisingSunset

Post by RisingSunset »

mlstephens wrote:Go full-face and you won't be sorry you did. We are really pleased with our Scorpion EXO-400 helmets.
Thanks for this recommendation- I just purchased one today. Very comfy!
dahuffy

Post by dahuffy »

This is from Kevin, REGRETTFULLY, Debi is recovering from her own "little boo boo", We were driving by Atomic Brown a little after 6:15 this evening, and seeing Steve and others outside with customers, Both Debi And I honked and waved to them. I was leading (about 20ft in front of Deb) doing about 30mph, and did the Honk, Wave and Head tilt, when I looked in my mirror, I saw Debi do the Honk Wav & nose dive. :shock:
Debi was busy waving and looking to her right, and did not see the height difference in the pavement (similar to Mrs OkieBuddy). Needless to say, her FULMER FULL FACE helmet is a tad scratched up now, BUT her smiling face is still smiling! Her left shoulder, arm, elbow, both knees, belly, left kidney and right elbow are a little like Rasberries now, BUT they will heal! The only blood was where her right inner ankle scraped on the Buddy while she was flying over it. NO BROKEN bones, Fractures or anything else like that - Thank God! We just got home about an hour ago from the emergency room. Thank goodnes for Lortab!
IF you need further assurances as to why Full Faces are the better choice, Debi will probably give you a little sermon on it tomarrow, or when she feels a little more like facing the music again!
Both Steve and Pam (Atomic Brown) were unbelievable in their assistance to Debi and I. Both of our Buddies are at the shop right now, and I will meet them on Sunday (when the store is closed) to pick up my Buddy for its trip home in the back of my pickup. Debi's will stay at the shop to get the few road rashes fixed. A little chrome and Pink plastic was left on Western, but there was NO BROKEN GLASS! Her rear brake lever is broken, and the housing for the left mirror is a little twisted, but Steve said that it was still road worthy. Pam came to the Midwest City Hospital where Debi and I were, and gave me a ride home to get my truck.
Heres to a quick recovery for Debi, and to you "macgawd", I trust that you will get the Full Faced helmet that you and your loved ones deserve!

Kevin
Last edited by dahuffy on Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shellee

Post by Shellee »

Dang!! :headache: Debi, take care and recup quickly! I hope you and your Buddy are back on the road soon.

Thank goodness for ff helmets!
~ Shellee
Genuine Buddy 170
www.scooterdiva.com
Mrs. Okiebuddy

oh!! No!!

Post by Mrs. Okiebuddy »

:cry: :cry:

Debi, I am so sorry to hear about your accident. I had mine on Western too.
Only, not one person stopped to help. They just yelled out their windows, "Is she O.K.?" So it is a real blessing to hear that Pam and Steve were so kind to help. I found that there is not to many people willing to stop and get out of their cars and help.

Thank God for full face helmets. With my 3/4 helmet I got road rash on my chin, so I am getting a full face helmet as soon as possible. I remember sliding along the asphalt face first for about 4 to 5 feet, not a good feeling.

Please if you need to talk to someone call me. Mine happened Thursday so it is still fresh in my memory.

Did the Doctors tell you about how long it will take you to recover from your injuries?

You will be in my thoughts and prayers.
dahuffy

Post by dahuffy »

No recovery time mentioned really. Other than change the bandages daily and I'm going to be sore for a while. I'm not "hurting" too bad,got one hell of a back ache though. No broken bones, just bruised ego. Glad I had on my FF helmet.

We went up to the shop just a bit ago and picked up Kev's scooter,left mine for a few cosmetic repairs. Have a back rack on order. Hope to be scootin again real soon.

Now,just have to figure out how to tell Mom :shhh:
golfingirl

Post by golfingirl »

Mrs. Okiebuddy and Debi,

So sorry to hear of your accidents. I was very glad to hear you injuries weren't too serious. I hope you're both healing quickly and your confidence in riding isn't too bruised as well. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

Take care,
Laura
dahuffy

Post by dahuffy »

Taking it one day at a time. Pretty sore today. Have a dr. appt. on Thurs. for follow up. Trying to decide when to tell Mom about my little mishap. Wish me luck. :(
Keys

Post by Keys »

...and if you DO go down while not wearing a helmet, and crack your head open, you can always tell them; "I wasn't using it anyway."....

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
jess

Post by jess »

Debi, I'm really sorry to hear about your accident. Another testament to full-face helmets, for sure.

Be careful out there, folks.
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

Wow! Really sorry to hear about both of your accidents!!

Speedy recoveries to both of you!

I ride with a full-face helmet, but I just bought another one (mine isn't the greatest in the world, and it's actually for road-racing, not scootering or motorcycling).

I know it's a lot of coin to drop on a helmet, but I went with a Shoei TZ-R. Review http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/shoei/tz-r/

Something that an old motorcycle buddy of mine said to me a long time ago has always rung in my ears: It's okay to buy a $50 helmet if you've only got a $50 head. :wink:
Huh? What just happened?
lotte

Post by lotte »

I hope Mrs.Okiebuddy and Debi are recovering well! :(

In my case, being a scooter n00b, I really wanted the best protection, so I went with full-face Fulmer AFJ4. It's actually a junior helmet, but it fits me very well. I've never had any problems with limited visibility/hearing.

What I was surprised about with my ff helmet is how much air it allows to pass through, so it never gets stifling nor hot. The only thing that gets me is it's kind of tricky to hook the stalks of my glasses hooked behind my ears while wearing my helmet. But compared to the risks, I think a ff helmet is fully worth that tiny bit of complaint.
golfingirl

Post by golfingirl »

I know it's a lot of coin to drop on a helmet, but I went with a Shoei TZ-R.
I bought the same helmet. Mine is silver and I fancied it up with orange flames on the side to match my Buddy... oh, and to improve safety as they are reflective. 3 Harley riders passed me today and pointed at me, yelling cool helmet! I bought the Shoei because it was the most comfortable on my little beaner. If it fits well, you don't mind wearing it. I think most helmets are good protection as long as they have passed the DOT and Snell safety tests etc. Fit is MOST impotant for safety after meeting the standards. If your head is slopping around in it... it'll just rattle inside if it meets pavement and that's gonna leave a mark... on your brain! My humble advice is buy full face that meets the standards, fits you well... wear it.

Just curious ladies, were either one of you wearing other gear upon the time of your accidents? ie. jackets, gloves etc. How did help or not. Currently, I am looking for a protective jacket and am riding without protective gear, other than my helmet of course. Any thoughts on that?
Laura
dahuffy

Post by dahuffy »

Guilty as charged....rasberries are a tough lesson to learn :roll: I was damn lucky that's all that I received. I was wearing shorts and a sleevless top,not wearing my gloves. I can assure you it will be my jeans and boots next time.
golfingirl

Post by golfingirl »

Glad you only got some raspberries. I had an accident 5 years ago on a rental scooter... my first scootering experience. Hit some gravel in a turn. Lotsa road rash, stitches in my knee, cracked my pelvis. Long recovery. Very unnerving even with a small spill. Glad to hear you're doing alright.

Cheers,
Laura
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

FWIW, I ordered one of these -- from what I've been reading, it's a great jacket for the price, and it's not all sorts of gaudy like a lot of the others:

http://www.rapidracer.com/potrtttemoja.html
Better pictures, but a worse price can be found here:

http://street-bikes.ridegear.com/cgi-bi ... ?E+scstore

I also considered this one, but decided to go with the other:

http://street-bikes.ridegear.com/cgi-bi ... ?E+scstore

Right now, I'm riding with less gear than I'd really like to...
Huh? What just happened?
dahuffy

Post by dahuffy »

Looks good. Silly question, have you tried on this brand/style in a shop before you ordered it? They all fit differently. My problem is finding one in a woman's size to fit my frame. They seem to think that everyone is under a size 12. If I find one big enough in the mens,the sleeves are down to my knees. :(
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

Not a silly question at all, but I seem to fit pretty well in most jackets/pants/etc, provided they're the right size (based on the numbers game). I'm totally rolling the dice on the jacket -- again, should fit based on measurements, but one never knows.

Sucks that there aren't a wider range of women's sizes out there... Sorry. :(
Huh? What just happened?
sparty

Post by sparty »

My helmet/jacket/boots finally arrived and I took my Buddy out for a spin. It's so nice to not have to wear ear plugs and be able to see clearly on 50 mph. It does/will take a while to get used to looking down and seeing the helmet instead of my body though. Ultimately, I agreed that a FF helment is a good buy. I bought a Vega Submit 2 helment. I like it :D
dahuffy

Post by dahuffy »

Boo-boos are healing nicely. Kev's taking good care of me,changing my bandages daily. I finally decided to let Mom know last night, I cried. She was real good about it and first thing she said was "Hope you're selling the damn thing now". I said no. She was more upset that I felt I couldn't tell her about it. She said "That's why they call them accidents" and she thougtht it would be Kev falliing before me :o

Now I'm just dealing with a major backache on my left side. Don't like taking the Lortab if I don't have to. Trying to get by with 800mg Motrin instead.

I'm an elementary school lunch lady and supposed to go back to work some time next week to get the kitchen ready for the new year...should be interesting. But on a happier note, our vacation starts Sept. 1st....1 week Disney Cruise to the Virgin Islands, then 1 week at Walt Disney World. :clown:
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

Glad you're healing well!

Please let me know how the Disney cruise to the VIs goes -- my fiance are taking the same one in April, jumping off the boat and getting married on St. John, and then jumping back on the boat before it sets sail again (if we're lucky). :lol:

Oh, and glad your mom was cool about it. That could have been a sticky situation.
Huh? What just happened?
Blackeyes24

Post by Blackeyes24 »

sparty wrote: I bought a Vega Submit 2 helment. I like it :D
I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the Summit 2. Thats the flip face right? Its a serious contender in my helmet decision. I just wish I could spend some time riding in a ff helmet. Just to get the feel for it before I buy. Most of the helmet shops down here dont even want me to try on the helmet without them helping me and wearing a hair net, let alone go for a ride to get a feel for it. Anyway I would love to hear your thoughts on the Summit 2.
dahuffy

Post by dahuffy »

Hairnet :wha: Are they afraid of "Cooties" :rofl:
sparty

Post by sparty »

Blackeyes24 wrote:I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the Summit 2. Thats the flip face right?
Yeah, it's a flip-up. I bought it because 1)good reviews, and 2) price.

I have been wearing it for a couple days now and I have no complains so far. Air flow is good, and it fits me well. Liner is removable too, so that's a plus. The visor is easily replaced, and I am planning to replace the stock with a mirror finish instead.