Kick Start/Battery Questions

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

mandyscoots

Kick Start/Battery Questions

Post by mandyscoots »

I searched for like an hour so sorry.

How do you kick start? Does the key need to be to the on position and then just kick away?

Where is the battery located? How do I get to it?

Thanks so much!
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Key on, kill switch set to run, then kick start. No need to squeeze the brakes when you're kicking it.

The battery is under the rubber floormat; there's a plastic panel with 2 screws where it's located.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
mandyscoots

Post by mandyscoots »

THANKS!!!!!!

:D
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Now what you really want to do is get a Battery Tender so kickstarting isn't an issue.
TVB

Post by TVB »

If you kick and kick and nothing happens except the headlight flickering on, try opening the throttle a little bit at the same time.
Milktown

Post by Milktown »

TVB wrote:If you kick and kick and nothing happens except the headlight flickering on, try opening the throttle a little bit at the same time.
i had to do the same thing with my 06 buddy 50 but it seems to choke it to much if i do it with 4t buddy
A.D.I.D.A.S. All Day I Dream About Scooting.

im down for whatever, if your down for the same.
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

Milktown wrote:
TVB wrote:If you kick and kick and nothing happens except the headlight flickering on, try opening the throttle a little bit at the same time.
i had to do the same thing with my 06 buddy 50 but it seems to choke it to much if i do it with 4t buddy
Yeah, throttle doesn't work well with the 125.

Push down on the back of the scooter to get the tire on the ground. Rest your foot on the lever till the play is out of it, give it a good kick and repeat
Dr. Rock

Post by Dr. Rock »

Key on, kill switch set to run, then kick start. No need to squeeze the brakes when you're kicking it.
Is this true? Don't need to hold right brake when kicking? And the whole winter when the battery was crap I was holding the brake. makes for a harder kick but i guess i am lucky my Buddy kick starts NP.
Twitter: @Drjuggernaught
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

Dr. Rock wrote:
Is this true? Don't need to hold right brake when kicking? And the whole winter when the battery was crap I was holding the brake. makes for a harder kick but i guess i am lucky my Buddy kick starts NP.
Yep, no brake. Brake only has to do with the bypass switch for the electric start
Dr. Rock

Post by Dr. Rock »

Thanks ScooterTrash going to go try that right now!!

EDIT/UPDATE: Heck yeah it worked. Only had my Buddy since Sept. and joined MB in Dec. and the things I have learned are great. Upgraded all lights, learned about the helmet hooks, and all kinds of other things. Thanks MB members for being patient with us newcomers.
Twitter: @Drjuggernaught
mandyscoots

Post by mandyscoots »

looking into a battery tender now...
is the jr. ok for "Pepto"?
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

we would kick start the buddy wot and it would start right up LOL
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

mandyscoots wrote:looking into a battery tender now...
is the jr. ok for "Pepto"?
It's ideal.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
mandyscoots

Post by mandyscoots »

thanks again for all your help
Pepto kick started just fine and I drove him home (from storage). My friend let me borrow her battery tender plus, worked like a charm. Peppi and I went on our first ride this year yesterday. AWWW so much fun.
But on the down side my stupid headlamp is dead again. This is the 3rd time I've had to replace it in the last year. Gotta get that fixed before I can ride him to work.