stella 4T poor quality vs pre-production model poor quality?

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Lovelandstella

stella 4T poor quality vs pre-production model poor quality?

Post by Lovelandstella »

I have read that the fit and finish on the pre-production models is not good at all (see here, for example) or where there was "imprecise hand-cutting of the frame for the modification" (see here at stella speed, for example, though that looks like the orange one that was driven in Chicago by the "just gotta scoot" guy?). I haven't seen any pre-production or promotional models up close (in Colorado).

those here in the Forum who have seen these pre-production or promotional models up close, what is your response to these claims?

and further- they are not selling those ones, are they?
~Lovelandstella
----------------------------------------
Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

to clairify:
I know about this- topic14841.html
and I am encouraged! (its the red one- the one I am getting - see photo).

I am curious if anyone here across the country has seen those ones that those people are referring to. (see OP)
or any others, as well.

at the very least to balance out what some of the negative internet gossip is saying. and to inform those other lurkers who are curious. (like myself)
~Lovelandstella
Silver Streak

Post by Silver Streak »

I'm not sure I understand the charge you keep making that the Stella is an Indian-made scooter at an Italian price. What do you think Vespa would be charging for it now if they had decided to make a 4T P-series?

I'll wager it would be at least $1K over the list price of the Stella 4T.
Dave

www.glyphukulele.com

"You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice."
Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

Silver Streak wrote:I'm not sure I understand the charge you keep making that the Stella is an Indian-made scooter at an Italian price. What do you think Vespa would be charging for it now if they had decided to make a 4T P-series?

I'll wager it would be at least $1K over the list price of the Stella 4T.
(Sorry for the confusion- I didn't actually say these things found outside of this site- I just found them in google and was curious about our forum's take on them.)

I'm with you. I've seen the LML tour photos showing all the same scooters leave the same facility as stellas, P-series, Stars etc. no question vespa charges more because they feel their name is worth it. and in this case they don't even have a comparable product- its a market share they've neglected and ignored and snubbed...
~Lovelandstella
Silver Streak

Post by Silver Streak »

My apologies. You're right... it was another person who made those remarks, and you were just referencing them.
Dave

www.glyphukulele.com

"You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice."
10gallonhat

Post by 10gallonhat »

I just read through the 3 links you included in the original post, and I get the feeling there will not be any sort of build quality issues from reading any of those. Sure people have opinions, but for the most part all 3 links are overwhelmingly positive. And you have to consider the source of each and weigh that with the reviews you read.
POC Phil topic14841.html seems like the most credible source and I am planning that my Stella will line up with his remarks and review. Good fit and finish - pleasantly surprised all around.
bosco
Dealer

stella quality.

Post by bosco »

I have had extended time with a Stella 4T

Full review in the next Scoot! magazine.

I have had it in the rain, and on several long rides.

fit and finish is superb.
ride is nice and plush.
Brakes are very very good. (grab a handfull of the front brake and see for yourself.)

Its a good quality build.
bluezurich

Re: stella quality.

Post by bluezurich »

bosco wrote:I have had extended time with a Stella 4T

Full review in the next Scoot! magazine.

I have had it in the rain, and on several long rides.

fit and finish is superb.
ride is nice and plush.
Brakes are very very good. (grab a handfull of the front brake and see for yourself.)

Its a good quality build.
Bosco,

I am interested in hearing what components have been upgraded or changed to give it the changes you listed.

Thanks!
loodieboy

Post by loodieboy »

I have looked at the red Stella 4T at Metro Scooter several times (the one mini-reviewed by POC Phil), and I have to say that the fit and finish looks just GREAT, even better than my '09 2T (but maybe that's just showroom floor hormones talking). What surprised me was the manual choke; for some reason I figured it would be auto.
Clearly.
Silver Streak

Post by Silver Streak »

loodieboy wrote:I have looked at the red Stella 4T at Metro Scooter several times (the one mini-reviewed by POC Phil), and I have to say that the fit and finish looks just GREAT, even better than my '09 2T (but maybe that's just showroom floor hormones talking). What surprised me was the manual choke; for some reason I figured it would be auto.
That's fine with me, there are some real advantages to a manual choke.

For an old-timer like me, the combination of manual transmission, manual choke, and a reliable kick starter are pure heaven. :lol:
Dave

www.glyphukulele.com

bluezurich

Post by bluezurich »

Oh yeah I concur. Let's leave as many vestiges of vintagehood as possible.
evilscooterkitty

Post by evilscooterkitty »

JustGootaScoot guy here, it was the orange one that I put many miles on last year. Yes, there was some "hand" work done on the new frame, but the external fit and finish on that prototype unit was quite good.

I have not published a review yet at JustGottaScoot.com because I am waiting for a production model. I will compare the technical aspects and performance of a production model with the data I have from the prototype. I expect them to be the same, but just want to be sure. After that, and a bunch of pictures of a production model, I will publish my review.
Lovelandstella

good? GREAT!

Post by Lovelandstella »

this is good stuff! my worries are now officially put to rest!
Now I have nothing to do but eagerly await my 4T. eagerly... patiently...desperately... :scream:
~Lovelandstella