Taking the long, less-traveled road

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

sunshinen

Taking the long, less-traveled road

Post by sunshinen »

Last week, I took my scooter from Sterling, Virginia, to Baltimore, Maryland—the long, scenic way. It turned into an 80 mile, 4-hour trip.

I had been so stressed out, due to relationship issues, stress over presentations I was giving (I'm not typically comfortable in front of people), and general life stuff. So I hit the road with a week's worth of clothing, a pile of books, and my laptop all bungeed and velcroed to my sunset Buddy.

A mile down the road, I was forced to admit that I had balance issues. I stopped, redistributed the weight, and then tried to take it off the center stand. The scooter refused to budge. My full weight on the stand did nothing. I repositioned to give it a few better leveraged yanks in frustration (and embarrassment). As it rolled forward, I realized, too late of course, that the ground was also sloping towards the curb. We toppled. I had to laugh as I lay sprawled across my Buddy and the pile of dislodged gear I had just so painstakingly arranged and balanced.

Of course, I couldn't pick it back up with the weight of all that gear. So I unloaded, sat her back up, and repacked (with the Buddy on its side stand this time). There were all sorts of doubts in my mind and my stress had doubled, but I'm a girl who loves a challenge. I sat out again, only to wind up smack dab in the middle of rush hour on a road I couldn't reasonably avoid. "I must be insane," I thought.

When I reached the ferry, however, it was all worth while. There's just something liberating about riding a two-wheeled vehicle onto a ferry. (I made sure to be careful on the metal ramps.)

The sun sparkled on water so lackadaisical it looked as though it weren't moving at all. Off the side of the boat, you could see nothing man made, just the river and the trees. Two blue herons that first appeared in the distanced approached in regal rhythmic flaps until they flew right over us.

I had my new talking GPS plugged in, and the friendly computer lady guided me from the ferry into the farms and hills of Maryland. The ride unfolded into sun-drenched cornfields, car-less tree-lined roads, and perfect blue skies. As the the ride continued, the hillsides entered the gloaming, that (my favorite) time of day just before the sun goes down, when the clouds and the world turn slightly rosy, golden, and purple with the promise of the sunset to come.

Every ounce of stress vanished. How can you help but be at peace in such a beautiful world? How can you help but love a vehicle that let's you get so close to that beauty, that gives you a reason to take the long, less-traveled road.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Ah, just reading your post reduced my stress level about 5 points.

Thanks!
Keys

Post by Keys »

Sure makes a difference, doesn't it, Sunshinen? That's why I try to do a weekender about once a month. A change of clothes and a sleeping bag and I'm gone. Fortunately my wife works weekends and supports my occasional need for solitude. A long ride somehow helps to keep things in perspective...

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

As a former Washintonian (oh so many lifetimes/years ago) your post warmed my heart with memories of farm country and then the magical bay area with its salt air and oysters and boiled crabs. But it also brought to light the practical and metaphysical importance of packing light! :lol:
Bryce-O-Rama

Post by Bryce-O-Rama »

Riding onto a ferry is pretty sweet. I did that on the free ferry between Galveston and Port Bolivar. I rode around there for a bit and rode the ferry back. It was lots of fun. It was made especially cool when they waved me on as the last vehicle aboard.

A week or so later I traveled across at night by car, and saw bio-luminescent algae in the water below while wandering the deck.
- Bryce
Phuket

Post by Phuket »

What a beautiful post! I live in DC, and I've been aching to take a scooter trip out of here to Virginia or the coast one weekend. I am inspired now. What GPS unit do you have?
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

:)

I needed to read this post :inhales: that was renewing. Thanks for sharing your adventure. I'm realizing just how much I need a break from the city.
Lagerhead

Post by Lagerhead »

+1up
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

Phuket wrote:What a beautiful post! I live in DC, and I've been aching to take a scooter trip out of here to Virginia or the coast one weekend. I am inspired now. What GPS unit do you have?
I highly recommend going for it.
I got the Magellan Crossover, discussed here. Definitely well worth it. I can't believe I put off getting one for so long.
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

Bryce-O-Rama wrote:A week or so later I traveled across at night by car, and saw bio-luminescent algae in the water below while wandering the deck.
Bio-luminescent algae in Galveston?? I'm jealous. I've been on that ferry a few times and never seen any bio-luminescents. I thought they were a northern thing.
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

Scooter packing is an art form all itself! I once got all psyched for a trip...and on the morning I was leaving discovered my intended lashing down system wouldn't work. :oops: I find that, if your rack/grabrail is properly positioned, a small sports back bungeed to the pillion seat helps with weight distribution. Not to mention acting as a backrest!

Bungee nets are your friend. I never used bungee cords again when I paid fourteen bucks for my mini cargo-net.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Wow, what a beautiful post! Now if only I could muster up the guts to do a solo long ride. Signs point to...soon....
ModBud #442
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

Sparky wrote:Scooter packing is an art form all itself! I once got all psyched for a trip...and on the morning I was leaving discovered my intended lashing down system wouldn't work. :oops: I find that, if your rack/grabrail is properly positioned, a small sports back bungeed to the pillion seat helps with weight distribution. Not to mention acting as a backrest!

Bungee nets are your friend. I never used bungee cords again when I paid fourteen bucks for my mini cargo-net.
Yeah, my original pack job had the books I wanted for my presentation in my basket, which made things a bit top heavy. I ended up putting them under the seat, putting my chain lock in the glove area, putting groceries (needed cause I'm gluten intolerant) in the basket, and clothing in a duffel bungeed to the rear rack in front of the basket. I used a lot of clips and straps to get it as compact as possible. You have to take it off to add gas, but it was an excellent back rest! I definitely need to look into a mini cargo net.
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

Keys wrote:Sure makes a difference, doesn't it, Sunshinen? That's why I try to do a weekender about once a month. A change of clothes and a sleeping bag and I'm gone. Fortunately my wife works weekends and supports my occasional need for solitude. A long ride somehow helps to keep things in perspective...

--Keys 8)
Yes. Yes, it does.
Phuket

Post by Phuket »

Hey, just made the connection that YOU were the original poster for the Magellan Crossover thread. I thought maybe you had a different unit and could do a comparison review. I went to the Best Buy at Tenleytown today, but they didn't have one in stock. Do you know of any store in the Metro area where I could test one out?
cowgirl helmet

Post by cowgirl helmet »

Hey sunshinen -- loved your story! It's inspiring me to want to take some long solo rides myself. (And get a GPS.)