Quick Test of the New Stella 4T

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

pocphil
Dealer

Quick Test of the New Stella 4T

Post by pocphil »

While down at the Cincinnati XYL Scooter rally we took some time on Sunday to test the new 4T Stella currently on display at Metro Scooters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8Kkjf9zI98

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDA5Je-l ... re=related

Right off the bat I can tell you that I am VERY happy with the fit n' finish - Paint looks great with a healthy dose of clear, aside from the vents on the motor side panel it's a dead ringer for the 2T.

I was shocked by how quiet this thing is, at an idle you can barely hear it. When you give it the beans it makes nice roar and you're off to the races.

There will definitely be a POC pipe for this bike, it's begging for it. The stock exhaust is very similar to the Bajaj 4T pipe, the only obvious exception is the exterior Catalytic converter mounted on the header pipe.

There was no discernible shortage of power, If anything it's easier to pull away from a light. I quickly discovered that wheelies were not only easy, but more predictable due to the power being found lower in the revs as opposed to the peaky nature of the 2 Stroke. My personal test of a shifter scoot is if it will wheelie under power in 1st and 2nd and can go 50 mph in 3rd gear. The 4T meets these criteria, so I don't think there's going to be any folks out there whining that it's underpowered compared with a stock PX150 or Stella 2T.

All in all I'm impressed and can't wait for my order to arrive. We've got 8 on the way and have already taken 2 deposits, one for slate blue and one for mustard. People seem very fired up and well educated about the product.

We'll post more information as we get it.
Attachments
stella4t.jpg
stella4t.jpg (28.81 KiB) Viewed 1415 times
Phil Waters
ClevelandMoto
Pride Of Cleveland Scooters
18636 Detroit Rd.
Lakewood, Ohio 44107
216-227-1964
www.clevelandmoto.com
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

All I can say is that you're not the first person to wheelie the 4T but that the first time it may have been accidental and may have struck terror into those around the rider. And that's all I can say. :)

Thanks for the quick review, Phil!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Lovelandstella

Re: Quick Test of the New Stella 4T

Post by Lovelandstella »

pocphil wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8Kkjf9zI98

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDA5Je-l ... re=related

Right off the bat I can tell you that I am VERY happy with the fit n' finish - Paint looks great with a healthy dose of clear, aside from the vents on the motor side panel it's a dead ringer for the 2T.
(and the rest of your post)

awesome! this is really fun and interesting and encouraging and detailed and awesome! (did I say that?)

great videos - it does a great job of showing how quiet it is (I think)

keep the information coming! I am EXCITED!
ericalm wrote:All I can say is that you're not the first person to wheelie the 4T but that the first time it may have been accidental and may have struck terror into those around the rider.
personal experience? I wont tell a soul! - though I have been putting in some time test driving some local 2T's to get use to the whole shifty experience. Not too hard after you get used to it- but there is certainly a "mental hurdle" to get over, and for me it was steep for some reason. from a twisty standpoint: there's just something scarey about the power of the SHIFT!

OP: I love this post- its even the color I ordered!
~Lovelandstella
----------------------------------------
rondothemidget

Post by rondothemidget »

Thank you for the review. Did you get a chance to go wide open throttle? What do you think it will top out at?
Silver Streak

Post by Silver Streak »

Hey, that's the red one I've got a deposit on. Take it easy on that thing! :P
Dave

www.glyphukulele.com

"You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice."
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Have you checked out the "Gentle Art of Shifting"?

http://www.bajajusa.com/Gentle%20art%20 ... ifting.htm

It's supposedly for the Chetak, but pretty much all of the info is applicable to the Stella. It helped me a LOT with the mental stuff. :goofy: I mean, I'm still mental, but now I can ride a manually shifted scooter, too.
ModBud #442
bosco
Dealer

yeah Phil

Post by bosco »

But Phil, did you stack it?
Cause that is the real test.

The thing will run 60-65 all day long. You just pin the throttle and ride it. The one I had was at about 300 miles on the clock when I took it to SLO for the Rides. It ran great, got great gas mileage and was fun.
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

These testimonials are making me wish I had more money to spend on scooters. :(
Roose Hurro

Post by Roose Hurro »

KRUSTYburger wrote:These testimonials are making me wish I had more money to spend on scooters. :(
I don't need any testimonials to wish I had money... let alone more... for a scoot (or two or three or...?)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

polianarchy wrote:Have you checked out the "Gentle Art of Shifting"?

http://www.bajajusa.com/Gentle%20art%20 ... ifting.htm

It's supposedly for the Chetak, but pretty much all of the info is applicable to the Stella. It helped me a LOT with the mental stuff. :goofy: I mean, I'm still mental, but now I can ride a manually shifted scooter, too.
Yeah, the Chetak shifts just like the Stellas anyway. I've been riding a Chetak while I rebuild my Buddy. Its kinda pokey but I forgot how much I loved shifting :)
Lovelandstella

Re: Quick Test of the New Stella 4T

Post by Lovelandstella »

pocphil wrote:While down at the Cincinnati XYL Scooter rally we took some time on Sunday to test the new 4T Stella currently on display at Metro Scooters. ...We'll post more information as we get it.
Hey Phil!

Did you happen to get any more video or even just photos of the Stella 4T while you were there?

I'm looking for anothet internet scooter fix before my 4t gets here and I was hoping for some more Red Stella media.
any chance? if "no" that's okay - just checking...

thanks!
~Lovelandstella
----------------------------------------
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

I'm trying to fathom getting a wheelie on the 1-2 shift on a stock bike. Are you getting a wheelie in second by revving the engine and dumping the clutch?

I've got a 2t, with a sito, and it sure wouldn't wheelie second without a clutch dump- maybe even WITH a clutch dump. I am at 6400 feet elevation, which changes things a lot.

On the second gear shift, a lot of times I don't let off the gas (shifts are pretty much instant when you know what you are doing), and even with that, I've never popped the wheel.

A wheelie from 1st gear launch is pretty easy.
Valves are for wussies.