I think I may have broken my new stella

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

neuscoot

I think I may have broken my new stella

Post by neuscoot »

Tonight I was shifting through the gears of my new to me 2005 stella with 1400 miles, when a heard a clunk. Soon the clutch had little resistance and would not disengage the gear when pressed in. I was able to limp in the last 8 blocks home by hard shifting into neutral and first but was hearing a scraping noise from underneath the scooter. I'm guessing the clutch cable is broken. However could it simply need to adjusted... Wishful thinking I'm guessing. Any advice of how to check out the problem before I drag it to the dealer would be greatly appreciated..
Thanks,
Al
ObjectAgnosia

Post by ObjectAgnosia »

Does your clutch lever return to it's original or close to it's original position after it is pressed in? If it doesn't then you're clutch cable snapped. In which case you'll need to replace it. It's a fairly easy fix.
neuscoot

I think I may have broken my new stella cont...

Post by neuscoot »

Well checked the cable and the hand lever pushes in and out when the clutch is engaged and let go. I think I need to adjust the cable perhaps the barrel on the end slipped. Unfortunately the aftermarket pipe on the bike prevents me from adjusting the clutch. (cant get the 8 mm wrench to turn without hitting the exhaust) Tomorrow afternoon I'll take the pipe off and try to adjust the clutch. If you have any hints on how to do this correctly please let em know.
Thanks,
Al.
ObjectAgnosia

Post by ObjectAgnosia »

When you pull the clutch lever to go from N to 1st, how much play is in the lever before 1st engages? The manual says to allow 2mm of play before the clutch engages, if it's much ore than that then the cable needs tightening. The only way I know how to tighten the cable is by the rear of the engine, so it looks like you'll have to drop the pipe.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Sorry, I'm a bit of a n00b myself, so I have no useful advice. Only a question, which is: which pipe do you have?
ModBud #442