iPhone mount for Stella

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Mark2000

iPhone mount for Stella

Post by Mark2000 »

Anyone here mount their iPhone on their Stella for GPS? I can't seem to find a good solution since most bike mounts are for thin metal handle bars but are also too thick for the mirror stalks. What do you do?
Silver Streak

Re: iPhone mount for Stella

Post by Silver Streak »

Mark2000 wrote:Anyone here mount their iPhone on their Stella for GPS? I can't seem to find a good solution since most bike mounts are for thin metal handle bars but are also too thick for the mirror stalks. What do you do?
Use my brain instead.
Dave

www.glyphukulele.com

"You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice."
Mark2000

Post by Mark2000 »

Well, I'm glad for you, but I live in a pretty decent sized city with a population 27 times bigger than yours and very random cycle parking - which there is indeed an app to help you find.
Silver Streak

Post by Silver Streak »

Mark2000 wrote:Well, I'm glad for you, but I live in a pretty decent sized city with a population 27 times bigger than yours and very random cycle parking - which there is indeed an app to help you find.
You're making my point for me. :wink:

By the time you get to be my age, and starting to worry about preserving your brain cells, yours will already have been turned into putty by over-reliance on electronic crutches.

Proud Luddite
Last edited by Silver Streak on Tue May 04, 2010 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave

www.glyphukulele.com

"You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice."
bluezurich

This one is sweet

Post by bluezurich »

Mark2000

Post by Mark2000 »

bluezurich, I couldn't find the article that that mount belongs to. Is it a suction cup? Is the scooter frame smooth enough for that? Looks nice.
bluezurich

Post by bluezurich »

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Have you looked at Ram mounts?
http://www.ram-mount.com/
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Silver Streak wrote:
Mark2000 wrote:Well, I'm glad for you, but I live in a pretty decent sized city with a population 27 times bigger than yours and very random cycle parking - which there is indeed an app to help you find.

By the time you get to be my age, and starting to worry about preserving your brain cells, yours will already have been turned into putty by over-reliance on electronic crutches.
Based purely on your post counts and frequency, you obviously spends quite a bit of time on scooter forums each day. That may not be a crutch, but will likely turn your brain to putty faster than using a GPS device. :P
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

ericalm wrote:
Silver Streak wrote:... :wink: By the time you get to be my age, and starting to worry about preserving your brain cells, yours will already have been turned into putty by over-reliance on electronic crutches.
Based purely on your post counts and frequency, you obviously spends quite a bit of time on scooter forums each day. That may not be a crutch, but will likely turn your brain to putty faster than using a GPS device. :P
Zing! I love it! :clap:
I actually can see some merit to both sides.

you know it's funny, but I can't help but notice that alot of us are so akin to make connections to brain cell damage and electronics, yet we all seem to overlook the more obvious connections to, say, alcohol, found in this other post for example.

I don't mean to start a debate or anything; we all understand the risks and we all care very much about our brains (that's why we wear helmets- right?) :P I just think it's nice to know that we have something in common besides scooters. :D
~Lovelandstella
----------------------------------------
Silver Streak

Post by Silver Streak »

ericalm wrote:
Silver Streak wrote:

Guilty as charged, Eric! I am indeed spending much more time than I should hanging out here and over at MV. My spouse of 40 years passed away last Thanksgiving, and I'm not quite ready to jump back into the non-virtual social scene with both feet yet. So I have been relying on these fora as a bit of a crutch to help fill some of the void.

However...

... I feel that interacting with the fine folk here and over at MV has -- if anything -- helped keep my mind sharp during a period when I might otherwise have turned into a complete hermit, or a barfly, or a depressed zombie (Brains!). Admittedly addictive though it is, spending a few hours a day on a busy forum sure beats sitting in a bar when you're lonely, and lively repartee regarding technical subjects is my cup of tea. Far from being a solvent to homogenize gray matter, this interaction is pretty damned stimulative. And reading of others' adventures with long rides is getting my own juices flowing again, getting me out of my old habit of using the scooter as mostly an errand-runner and planning some long adventure rides like the one to Colorado I'm putting together for next month. And -- as an old "hot rodder" -- I've enjoyed sharing my passion for modifying my scooters to make them better.

Yeah, having been a life-long technologist (retired electronics engineer working in research) who has developed a healthy distrust of technology, I do delight in occasionally indulging in a little snarkiness when I observe "them young folks" promoting what appears to me to be an over-reliance on technology to substitute for human brain activity, or the need to be constantly connected even when doing so jeopardizes the safety of others. If you have hung around MV for long, you've surely noted that the "Masked Luddite" only makes an occasional appearance when provided an appropriate straight line.

Undoubtedly a "generation gap" thing. I could otherwise be standing out on my front porch, yelling "Hey you kids... get off my lawn!".
Dave

www.glyphukulele.com

Mark2000

Post by Mark2000 »

ericalm wrote:Have you looked at Ram mounts?
http://www.ram-mount.com/
I have, and I've seen stuff for cars and stuff for motorcycle and bicycle type thin metal mounts, but nothing that would fit anywhere on the stella's handles. I'm thinking putting a plain mount with no arm on the top of the glove box, but it seems an awful far way to look down, even if I'm only looking at stop lights.
DaniFly

Post by DaniFly »