Upgrade opinion...

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

cheez37

Upgrade opinion...

Post by cheez37 »

I'm looking to improve performance (not just speed) on my 125, but I don't have enough $$ to do it all (161 kit, new head, variator, sliders, springs, clutch, exhaust). I would love to hear what you guys think gets you the most bang for your buck.

I'm mostly a city rider but would like to get it out on the road some, if that helps any.

Thanks a lot.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Dr Pulley sliders. Weight depends on your riding conditions and weight, but many people are happy with 11g. You'll want the 18x14 size.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
cheez37

Post by cheez37 »

Lostmycage wrote:Dr Pulley sliders. Weight depends on your riding conditions and weight, but many people are happy with 11g. You'll want the 18x14 size.
If it helps, I weigh 225 lb, and looking for a balance between acceleration and speed. Is 11g still the best bet?
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Yep, you'll get about 90% of what you're looking for from that. Wait till the newness wears off of that before proceeding further (the next mods will be much more expensive than $25-30).
cheez37

Post by cheez37 »

Lostmycage wrote:Yep, you'll get about 90% of what you're looking for from that. Wait till the newness wears off of that before proceeding further (the next mods will be much more expensive than $25-30).
I was looking at keeping the bill to ~$200 or under, so I am open to doing more than just a $25 mod. I just know that my full list is rather expensive.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Re: Upgrade opinion...

Post by Lostmycage »

Take the remainder of your budget and go to town!
In order of bang per buck (keep in mind, this is a highly subjective...erm... subject):
Sliders
CDI (and iridium plug)
Ported, polished and matched head
161 kit
exhaust
variator
clutch
springs

This list assumes you're not paying for labor (DIY) and doesn't take into account for difficulty level. It's just BpB. Have fun!
laxer

Post by laxer »

Go with the Dr. Pulley sliders, 1000 rpm contra spring and 1500 rpm clutch springs.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Lostmycage wrote:Take the remainder of your budget and go to town!
In order of bang per buck (keep in mind, this is a highly subjective...erm... subject):
Sliders
CDI (and iridium plug)
Ported, polished and matched head
161 kit
exhaust
variator
clutch
springs

This list assumes you're not paying for labor (DIY) and doesn't take into account for difficulty level. It's just BpB. Have fun!
I'd do this list in a different order.

Sliders
CDI/Coil/Plug
Variator
Clutch Springs
Exhaust
Head
161 kit
clutch
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

I should have qualified that a little better. I listed in that order to avoid having to buy any one component twice (roller/slider excluded). The head and kit should go on at the same time, no sense in doing the work twice plus you want to have the cylinder to match ports to.

But for the money involved in each, I still think they give the biggest BpB in that order. If variators (good ones) were cheaper, I might be inclined to change that order - but they're not. :twisted:
PasadenaSue

Post by PasadenaSue »

Since I'm a bit out of my knowledge base here, which CDI, coil and plug would you recommend for a 125/161?

And any preferences on variators?

Otherwise I'll just be surfing the net looking for options.

Thanks!!
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

PasadenaSue wrote:Since I'm a bit out of my knowledge base here, which CDI, coil and plug would you recommend for a 125/161?

Thanks!!
The Bando CDI/Coil set that Autotech355 sells on eBay are an awesome set.
I've also got an MRP adjustable timing CDI that I'll be testing once I rebuild my engine :(

Dr Pulley variators are awesome, though there are others that fit as well.
Any of the long ramp (115mm) variators should be a noticeable improvement.
Dean F

Post by Dean F »

I have done no mechanical mods. I am waiting for my warranty to expire in August so I must defer to the experts. Should the belt be replaced if the variator is changed?
Member 2715
Chrome Rear Rack
Genuine Top Case
Black Grips
Chrome Front Rack
Garmin GPS & Ram Mount
PIAA HS1
13g Dr. Pully Sliders
Everstart 9-BS AGM Battery
nateandcourt

Post by nateandcourt »

The prima exhaust at scooter works.
http://www.scooterworks.com/Performance ... 65C495.cfm

Quote "Made by Prima, this super high quality stainless steel pipe is engineered just for the Buddy 125. "

Will this also fit my 150, or is there another pipe that I am overlooking?
"Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' that I wasn't previously aware of. "

Douglas Adams
cheez37

Post by cheez37 »

Kaos wrote:
PasadenaSue wrote:Since I'm a bit out of my knowledge base here, which CDI, coil and plug would you recommend for a 125/161?

Thanks!!
I've also got an MRP adjustable timing CDI that I'll be testing once I rebuild my engine :(

Is that something that works on the 150 as well? I was thinking about the sliders and CDI/coil on both scooters. Is there a how-to on replacing those parts anywhere on MB? I looked around and couldn't find anything.

My wife rides the 150, and she is 110 lbs. Should I stay with Dr. Pulley 11g weights, or should I change?

Good luck on getting your engine back together Kaos.
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

nateandcourt wrote:The prima exhaust at scooter works.
http://www.scooterworks.com/Performance ... 65C495.cfm

Quote "Made by Prima, this super high quality stainless steel pipe is engineered just for the Buddy 125. "

Will this also fit my 150, or is there another pipe that I am overlooking?
Works on the 150 as well. I've got one.

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

cheez37 wrote:
Kaos wrote:

Thanks!!

Is that something that works on the 150 as well? I was thinking about the sliders and CDI/coil on both scooters. Is there a how-to on replacing those parts anywhere on MB? I looked around and couldn't find anything.

My wife rides the 150, and she is 110 lbs. Should I stay with Dr. Pulley 11g weights, or should I change?

Good luck on getting your engine back together Kaos.
Yep, with the exception of big-bore kits/pistons, everything that fits the 125 also fits the 150 and vice-versa.
taishar

Post by taishar »

Kaos wrote: I'd do this list in a different order.

Sliders
CDI/Coil/Plug
Variator
Clutch Springs
Exhaust
Head
161 kit
clutch
On the last day of Scooterworks sale, I bought a Prima Exhaust, Kevlar Belt, Sliders, 1k Clutch Springs, and 1k Main Spring, and a few other odds and ends to get me to $300 (new tire, oil filters) for the 25% off. I also ordered the Dr. Pulley Variator from buggypartsnw. Total damages for everything was about $330 - not too shabby! Anyways, I basically have everything on your list before the head and kit - except the CDI/Coil/Plug. Do you have any more information on this ? Ease of install, benefits, etc ?

Is this the one you were referring to ? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Racing-C ... 1942wt_733

If so, $50 shipped isn't too bad for an upgrade that you put way at the top of your list!

Also, I was curious if you, or anyone on here really, has any experience with this clutch off of buggyparts:
http://buggypartsnw.com/home?page=shop. ... gory_id=12

It's so deeply discounted, I'm tempted to buy it just to see if it works, but, no sense wasting $30 if someone knows for a fact that it won't.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

taishar wrote:

Sliders
CDI/Coil/Plug
Variator
Clutch Springs
Exhaust
Head
161 kit
clutch
On the last day of Scooterworks sale, I bought a Prima Exhaust, Kevlar Belt, Sliders, 1k Clutch Springs, and 1k Main Spring, and a few other odds and ends to get me to $300 (new tire, oil filters) for the 25% off. I also ordered the Dr. Pulley Variator from buggypartsnw. Total damages for everything was about $330 - not too shabby! Anyways, I basically have everything on your list before the head and kit - except the CDI/Coil/Plug. Do you have any more information on this ? Ease of install, benefits, etc ?

Is this the one you were referring to ? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Racing-C ... 1942wt_733

If so, $50 shipped isn't too bad for an upgrade that you put way at the top of your list!

Also, I was curious if you, or anyone on here really, has any experience with this clutch off of buggyparts:

It's so deeply discounted, I'm tempted to buy it just to see if it works, but, no sense wasting $30 if someone knows for a fact that it won't.
Yep, that'd be the coil/CDI I'm talking about.

I've not tried that clutch but give Mike at Buggypartsnw a email, I can tell you from personal experience he's awesome at supporting his customers!
cheez37

Post by cheez37 »

Kaos wrote:
taishar wrote:

Sliders
CDI/Coil/Plug
Variator
Clutch Springs
Exhaust
Head
161 kit
clutch

Yep, that'd be the coil/CDI I'm talking about.

I've not tried that clutch but give Mike at Buggypartsnw a email, I can tell you from personal experience he's awesome at supporting his customers!
Great find taishar! I ordered a CDI/coil myself from that link. Let me know what Mike says. I'm interested in that clutch as well.
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

just get the 161 kit and some sliders. you will be going 70mph (aka 75 mph on your speedo)
taishar

Post by taishar »

cheez37 wrote: Great find taishar! I ordered a CDI/coil myself from that link. Let me know what Mike says. I'm interested in that clutch as well.
Cool, I sent off an email to buggypartsnw today, so I'm just waiting to hear back from them. When I do, I'll be sure to copy their response into this thread. Once you get the CDI/Coil, would you mind giving me a headsup on how easy/difficult it was to install ? Also, curious about it's performance enhancement. A review would be sweet if you could manage it!
cheez37

Post by cheez37 »

taishar wrote:
cheez37 wrote: Great find taishar! I ordered a CDI/coil myself from that link. Let me know what Mike says. I'm interested in that clutch as well.
Cool, I sent off an email to buggypartsnw today, so I'm just waiting to hear back from them. When I do, I'll be sure to copy their response into this thread. Once you get the CDI/Coil, would you mind giving me a headsup on how easy/difficult it was to install ? Also, curious about it's performance enhancement. A review would be sweet if you could manage it!
Wilco. I'll take some pictures and post them. I don't think it will take too long. I'll do the best I can on posting a review. I've only had a scooter for a month, and this will be my first performance mod. I'll do the best I can on the review.
taishar

Post by taishar »

Mike responded very quickly! I'm amazed at buggypartsnw.com. Their prices are great, they shipped unbelievably quick (quicker even than scooterworks!) and he answered my question at 9pm eastern time, only 3 hours after I sent it.
Hi Daniel,

Measure your stock clutch - this one is 122mm outer diameter (the inside diameter of the bell should be 125mm). I'm pretty sure it will work on the Buddy as people have purchased the Dr Pulley clutch (which is the same size) for their Buddy's.

Regards,

Michael Baird
Owner - Buggy Parts NW
www.buggypartsnw.com
sales@buggypartsnw.com
503-860-7250
bgwss

Post by bgwss »

I would love to know how this all turns out. :D
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

taishar wrote:Mike responded very quickly! I'm amazed at buggypartsnw.com. Their prices are great, they shipped unbelievably quick (quicker even than scooterworks!) and he answered my question at 9pm eastern time, only 3 hours after I sent it.
Hi Daniel,

Measure your stock clutch - this one is 122mm outer diameter (the inside diameter of the bell should be 125mm). I'm pretty sure it will work on the Buddy as people have purchased the Dr Pulley clutch (which is the same size) for their Buddy's.

Regards,

Michael Baird
Owner - Buggy Parts NW
www.buggypartsnw.com
sales@buggypartsnw.com
503-860-7250
Yeah, Mike is awesome, and knows his stuff too :)
cheez37

Post by cheez37 »

Kaos wrote:
taishar wrote:Mike responded very quickly! I'm amazed at buggypartsnw.com. Their prices are great, they shipped unbelievably quick (quicker even than scooterworks!) and he answered my question at 9pm eastern time, only 3 hours after I sent it.
Hi Daniel,

Regards,

Michael Baird
Owner - Buggy Parts NW
www.buggypartsnw.com
sales@buggypartsnw.com
503-860-7250
Yeah, Mike is awesome, and knows his stuff too :)
Great. Looks like I may buy one.

Now I need to buy springs. There was a suggestion that I get a 1000 RPM main spring and 1500 arm springs. I know that the higher the main spring, the higher the acceleration, but lower top end. Does that hold true for the clutch arm springs as well?
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

No, they just hold off on clutch engagement.
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
Dr. Pulley Variator with 11 Gram Sliders
NCY Front Forks
Prima/NCY 161cc Big Bore kit With 150 Head
KS Power GY6 Performance Springs
NCY Secondary Shieve
bgwss

Post by bgwss »

Kaos it would be great if you had a write up on CDI/Coil/Plug on your website as I am ignorant on this upgrade. Benefits and what it exactly does.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

bgwss wrote:Kaos it would be great if you had a write up on CDI/Coil/Plug on your website as I am ignorant on this upgrade. Benefits and what it exactly does.
I could probably swing something about that :) It might be a little bit, as I'm a bit busy rebuilding my motor but I'll try to get one up there asap :)
bgwss

Post by bgwss »

Cool :)
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

Kaos wrote:
bgwss wrote:Kaos it would be great if you had a write up on CDI/Coil/Plug on your website as I am ignorant on this upgrade. Benefits and what it exactly does.
I could probably swing something about that :) It might be a little bit, as I'm a bit busy rebuilding my motor but I'll try to get one up there asap :)
My coil is on the way if you want me to do write up :wink: few other parts as well
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

ScooterTrash wrote:
Kaos wrote:
My coil is on the way if you want me to do write up :wink: few other parts as well
That'd be awesome, I'll post it up on Voodoo-buddy.com.

Its been quite a while since I did them, so your perspective would be much fresher.

Though I've got a timing-adjustable CDI ready to go in when I get the bike running again. And I ordered a high compression piston from Akunar today.
taishar

Post by taishar »

You guys rock. Since that other auction sold out, ebay directed me to what it thought was a similiar item:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 2947wt_802

Is this the same thing ?
bgwss

Post by bgwss »

ScooterTrash wrote:
Kaos wrote:
Let the Voodoo commence
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

taishar wrote:You guys rock. Since that other auction sold out, ebay directed me to what it thought was a similiar item:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 2947wt_802

Is this the same thing ?
Yep, that should be the same part.
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

bgwss wrote:Let the Voodoo commence
continue :lol: Voodoo commenced the day I bought it, perks of the job :wink:

I want to see pics of that piston Kaos :wink:
cheez37

Post by cheez37 »

bgwss wrote:Let the Voodoo commence
I will be earning my Voodoo patch soon!

CDI/coil, 11g sliders, clutch, and springs (1000 RPM main/1500 Clutch arm) are on order. Hopefully they come in tomorrow so I can tinker all weekend. (For any city dwellers, feeder roads on Sat/Sun mornings are great test-run zones - no one is on them and you get long runs to test top speed.)

Thanks to everyone for all of the advice on what to upgrade. Any more tuning suggestions are greatly appreciated,.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

cheez37 wrote: Thanks to everyone for all of the advice on what to upgrade. Any more tuning suggestions are greatly appreciated,.
If you've got the budget left over. The 161 kit just spiked to the top of the BpB list I mentioned earlier. It's $70 off during their sale.
cheez37

Post by cheez37 »

Lostmycage wrote:
cheez37 wrote: Thanks to everyone for all of the advice on what to upgrade. Any more tuning suggestions are greatly appreciated,.
If you've got the budget left over. The 161 kit just spiked to the top of the BpB list I mentioned earlier. It's $70 off during their sale.
Nope, no more money to steal from the piggybank. I would have loved to get a Dr. Pully variator and just completely upgrade the tranny, but don't have the budget for that either. I'll just have to wait until next time.
threar

Post by threar »

I'd say the worst thing about upgrades is waiting for parts to ship. Waiting on my CDI/coil upgrade to show as well as my 171cc kit and matching head. ARGH!
cheez37

Post by cheez37 »

The upgrades have been done! Here's what I finally decided on:

- CDI & coil
- 11g Dr. Pulley sliders
- 1000 RPM contra
- 1500 RPM clutch springs
- Upgraded clutch

Acceleration has improved, especially at the low end. I can get up to 50 mph indicated in no time. Still a little slow getting above that (as expected), but top speed has increased to 65-67 mph indicated (+3-5 mph).

Overall I'm pretty happy. The only thing I am not sure about is that even at idle, there is enough power to the rear wheel to make it spin. Its not enough to move me while I am sitting on the scooter but I can certainly feel the push while I am stopped and on the rear brake.

Anybody have comments for me? Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated in advancing my voodoo education.
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

cheez37 wrote:Its not enough to move me while I am sitting on the scooter but I can certainly feel the push while I am stopped and on the rear brake.
Sounds like the clutch is hitting the bell, it shouldn't be noticeable when you are on the brakes. It should stop once the clutch is broken in, the clearances are a bit tight at first.

My tire has spun while on the center stand since day one, completely normal :wink:
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

get the 161 kit! it's only $149.99 on scooterworks right now.
cheez37

Post by cheez37 »

ScooterTrash wrote:
cheez37 wrote:Its not enough to move me while I am sitting on the scooter but I can certainly feel the push while I am stopped and on the rear brake.
Sounds like the clutch is hitting the bell, it shouldn't be noticeable when you are on the brakes. It should stop once the clutch is broken in, the clearances are a bit tight at first.

My tire has spun while on the center stand since day one, completely normal :wink:
I thought that might be completely normal, but its nice to have confirmation.
cheez37

Post by cheez37 »

gearhead wrote:get the 161 kit! it's only $149.99 on scooterworks right now.
I know, but I am out of upgrade money right now. Another thing is that I am still under warranty, and don't feel like losing it. Finally, and most importantly, I do all of my upgrades myself, but I don't have enough experience to do that one yet. I've only had a scooter for a month and I have a lot to learn. Once I feel confident (and have more $$) I'll take on the cylinder and head upgrades.
laxer

Post by laxer »

cheez37 wrote:The upgrades have been done! Here's what I finally decided on:

- CDI & coil
- 11g Dr. Pulley sliders
- 1000 RPM contra
- Upgraded clutch

Acceleration has improved, especially at the low end. I can get up to 50 mph indicated in no time. Still a little slow getting above that (as expected), but top speed has increased to 65-67 mph indicated (+3-5 mph).

Overall I'm pretty happy. The only thing I am not sure about is that even at idle, there is enough power to the rear wheel to make it spin. Its not enough to move me while I am sitting on the scooter but I can certainly feel the push while I am stopped and on the rear brake.

Anybody have comments for me? Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated in advancing my voodoo education.
That's awesome! What's the stock roller weight on a buddy?
cheez37

Post by cheez37 »

laxer wrote: That's awesome! What's the stock roller weight on a buddy?
Not sure. I've seen anything from 10g-13g posted on MB. I don't have a scale to measure mine however.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

laxer wrote:
cheez37 wrote:The upgrades have been done! Here's what I finally decided on:

- CDI & coil
- 11g Dr. Pulley sliders
- 1000 RPM contra
- Upgraded clutch

That's awesome! What's the stock roller weight on a buddy?
The stock rollers are 11.5g.
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

if you plan on going to the 161 kit before fall, then just buy it now. im sure it will go up after this quarter sales after june i believe. the best time to buy parts are in the winter time when everything is down in sales
PasadenaSue

Post by PasadenaSue »

CDI/Coil now cheaper on eBay - $29.99 plus free shipping. That's a good price. There are two sales going on.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Racing-C ... 1880wt_792