Where's my 4T Stella?

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

bluezurich

Post by bluezurich »

I'm not worried one bit, just disappointed.
We had a nearly 5 month winter here in 09-10 and it tends to make you think you only could get a few good riding months in before the snow falls again. Genuine shot for spring and will now be selling them in summer. I say an entire season is a letdown.
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

bluezurich wrote:I'm not worried one bit, just disappointed.
We had a nearly 5 month winter here in 09-10 and it tends to make you think you only could get a few good riding months in before the snow falls again. Genuine shot for spring and will now be selling them in summer. I say an entire season is a letdown.
I understand your disapointment. I was patiently waiting for the Retro Cruiser that I thought was coming in 2010. It is still in the myth and hype stage of development so I decided to buy the Honda sh150i that I had been drueling over. I still may get the cruiser but I'll wait for a few years and let other folks test it out and review it. Being that my only scooter was a 50cc I just couldn't wait for Genuine any longer. Maybe by the time Genuine actually produces the Crusier my son (now 11) will be old enough to get his moped lisense (age 15) and I can give him the 50 :lol:
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
Mark2000

Post by Mark2000 »

Silver Streak wrote:Even relatively small corporations like "America's Smallest Scooter Company" (a great example of corporate PR BTW).
LOL. No apologies necessary. I did think that "America's smallest" was misleading considering they are rebadging scooters designed and made elsewhere (the Buddy in Taiwan, for instance). You'd think they were making them themselves in Chicago with that tag line.
bluezurich

Post by bluezurich »

It's a shame this thread is 3 pages long.
Mark2000

Post by Mark2000 »

I just called Genuine myself - 773-271-8514 - because there's no point in harassing the dealership. Someone named Roy told me it would indeed be early June before these things were in dealerships. However, he said, the scooters were definately on the boat now. Grain of salt. I wonder what precedent there would be to get some kind of restitution for the delays to people with deposits? Apple gave preordering folks $100 when the 17" Macbook Pro shipped two months late last year. Maybe we should all get some chrome bumpers or something.

Edit. Sorry, Apple gave $100 not $1000. Corrected that.
Last edited by Mark2000 on Thu May 20, 2010 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
bluezurich

Post by bluezurich »

I have visions of SNL's Seth and Amy's Really!? about this running through my head......
Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

okay. I'm calmer now- not furious- but really dissapointed and certainly regretting my already made decision. (I trusted so deeply that I paid in full) foolish I know, of course. but I could have been getting interest in the bank from that money. not now.
Mark2000 wrote:I just called Genuine myself ...Someone named Roy told me ... the scooters were definately on the boat now.
Yipes! does this read to anyone else like "don't worry everyone - they are definitely on the boat - they are no longer in India, so that should comfort you!"...
I thought the comforting news would be to say they'd be off the boat by now.
Mark2000 wrote:...I wonder what precedent there would be to get some kind of restitution for the delays to people with deposits? Apple gave preordering folks $1000 when the 17" Macbook Pro shipped two months late last year...
very interesting, I'm curious about this. it might "still the angry waters." and buy them even longer delays if its nice enough.
Mark2000 wrote:...Maybe we should all get some chrome bumpers or something
the irony is I already bought a chome bumper (among other accessories) :) - but maybe something else - like that elusive rear rack they "specially designed for the 4T" that I can't seem to find anywhere. and how much did that macbook cost? was that like a 25% return for those customers? 50%? seems like Mac will do anything to keep it's good name and brand. I'm wondering if a 100$ accessory will be enough for Genuine to undo the damage? maybe, maybe not.
What ever it is, I agree with you. If all we get is "delays and entire missed seasons of riding" - then not many people, if anyone, will be happy about the experience. But if we get "something" then we could be happier about the process.

It's sad that all we really wanted was information, just communication. that's free. it's this conscious decision to keep loyal customers in the dark that might cost them something.
~Lovelandstella
----------------------------------------
Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

bluezurich wrote:I have visions of SNL's Seth and Amy's Really!? about this running through my head......
:lol:
~Lovelandstella
----------------------------------------
10gallonhat

Post by 10gallonhat »

It's interesting to follow the tone/mood of this thread to see how drastically it has changed as people grow more impatient.

As far as I know nothing has changed from Genuine's side since they opened things up for pre-orders and promised a ship date of "spring". That's pretty vague and technically is still true until June 21st at 12 AM.

After that little rant, I want to throw out some more speculation:

It is entirely possible that there are two distinct shipments being discussed. The first, of which many of our (the really early pre-order obsessives) scooters may have been on, and a second which is arriving a few weeks later.

Depending on the dealership,location and when you pre-ordered, that could explain the discrepancies that individual dealerships are providing as far as arrival dates of each scooter.

If every scooter was spoken for on the first shipment, it might explain why Genuine is responding to general inquiries with answers related to when some might be available for sale (second shipment) as opposed to pre-orders (first shipment).

Just speculation to chew on... while we wait.
bluezurich

2011 Stella 4T

Post by bluezurich »

They were throwing around the word April quite a bit. I was told to be more realistic and expect May, end of May at the latest. Now it's looking more like Mid June. And when we talk about trucking across country there's a difference of 1-3 days at the most since Chicago is somewhat centrally located.
No what happened is they got on the boat 2-3 weeks after they told us they had already left port. I'm not getting my info from Modern Buddy, I'm talking about messages directly from my dealer, Genuine employees and the big guy himself. IM him, he's on this board.
We are talking one shipment of 300. There is no misunderstanding. Mine has been verified to be on the first load, we have just wanted realistic updates and not vague references. You telling me you don't have a smidge of disappointment in you about this?
I'm human, flawed and impatient. I never said I was a Zen Master.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not mad as hell or anything, just feel like the early buyers have not been communicated with properly. My dealer in fact has been very helpful, supportive and communicative. He let me ride his GB 150 just the other day!

In a nutshell April became June. Now they should do what carmakers do and now label them the 2011 Stellas.
despurvoa

Post by despurvoa »

I don't know what I find more frustrating—the lack of information from Genuine, or those that don't understand that it's the lack of information from Genuine.
I don't care if it's mid, early, late, end of April, May, June or any other month. I mind that there has been little to no good communication from Genuine or initiative on their part to provide updates.
I didn't "technically" make a deposit for a 4T Stella. When you read on their website, "Contact your local GENUINE dealer and find out when she's arriving in your city!" I get the inferred meaning that we can rely on a chain of reliable information from the company.
I also noticed that their current updates on their website mention:

"May 17th, 2010
Dean and Rog from Houston, two tough radio guys "buddying up" on a Pamplona! Take a look!

May 12th, 2010
San Diego Buddy rider takes a neighborhood cruise."
Yup! No updates about Stellas there!
So, I'll be patient with delivery dates, but PLEASE don't tell me about technicalities!

bluezurich

Snatch the pebble from my hand.....

Post by bluezurich »

Yep they should save face. Be honorable.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

For every 2T Stella still sitting in a dealer's showroom, there is one prospective buyer who still doesn't have a clue.
Mark2000

Post by Mark2000 »

PeterC wrote:For every 2T Stella still sitting in a dealer's showroom, there is one prospective buyer who still doesn't have a clue.
I would LOVE for you to explain what you mean by that.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Mark2000 wrote:
PeterC wrote:For every 2T Stella still sitting in a dealer's showroom, there is one prospective buyer who still doesn't have a clue.
Just the grumbling of an unreconstructed 2T aficionado.
despurvoa

Post by despurvoa »

Oh! I thought you were implying that somehow the dealer was benefiting from the fact that there would be those not even aware of the 4T Stella, thereby ensuring the sale of existing 2T inventory.
Somehow that seemed more diabolical than "grumbling," but I see your point now.
Mark2000

Post by Mark2000 »

I live in CA. If I want a Stella I need to get the 4T. And, besides all that - environmental issues aside - I really don't want to be breathing in the fumes of a 2T. I know the road is filled with hazardous smells as is, but I say why add to them?
bluezurich

Post by bluezurich »

PeterC wrote:
Mark2000 wrote:
Just the grumbling of an unreconstructed 2T aficionado.
Why shit on our birthday cake?
10gallonhat

Post by 10gallonhat »

Join us May 22nd at 4pm for the Stellabration, our Stella release party.
The ScooterWest.com website was updated again today. It still says May 22nd, and now more specifically it's at 4pm... I guess those of you attending will know more on Saturday.
bluezurich

Post by bluezurich »

10gallonhat wrote:
The ScooterWest.com website was updated again today. It still says May 22nd, and now more specifically it's at 4pm... I guess those of you attending will know more on Saturday.
It's a rouse by the 2T badasses to get all the sucker 4T buyers in SD together in one place and have a woosie whopping.
10gallonhat

Post by 10gallonhat »

Is anyone actually planning to attend the Stellabration on the 22nd at Motorsport?
It would be interesting to hear about it.
bluezurich

Post by bluezurich »

It's a Stella 2011 info party.
Roose Hurro

Post by Roose Hurro »

10gallonhat wrote:
Heh... I got to see the 4t on March 20th, in San Fran... 8)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mark2000

Post by Mark2000 »

Roose Hurro wrote: Heh... I got to see the 4t on March 20th, in San Fran... 8)
Are you buying yours from SF Scooter Center too?
Tee Jay

Where's my 4T Stella?

Post by Tee Jay »

I'm going. Maybe order some more chrome and a kickstand. I'll get there on the Bajaj. Gotta love those 4 stoke shifters.
bluezurich

Post by bluezurich »

Genuine just said on FB that they don't even know if they have made it to port yet.

Shit, give me the ship name and I'll track it for you. It's 2010 by golly!

All this waiting is just giving me more time to install my hitch and Tilt a Rack.
Roose Hurro

Post by Roose Hurro »

Mark2000 wrote:
Roose Hurro wrote: Heh... I got to see the 4t on March 20th, in San Fran... 8)
Are you buying yours from SF Scooter Center too?
No, too poor to afford any scoot, at present... been out of work since the economy collapsed, and am just one check away from running out of UI, so my scoot dreams are still on hold. Still enjoyed that little trip, nice place and nice people. If/when I recover, I'll definitely be giving them due consideration, even given the traveling distance, if I get in the position of being able to afford a Stella or even just a Buddy (shoot, those Madasses were neat bikes, too).........

I also have my eye on a Sym Symba, so I'll definitely be having trouble, what with all these choices. Budget/my ability to save will ultimately determine where I go with my choice (can't forget the proper gear, either).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
bluezurich

Post by bluezurich »

Hey Stevie!

Any signs of the Genuine shipment? They left the Indian port by April 24th and Genuine has no clue if they are here yet (Call the shipping company?) Love to think they have landed and are just held up in Customs.

Thanks
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Any similarities between the 4T Stella and Godot are purely coincidental.
bluezurich

Post by bluezurich »

Are you Vladimir or Estragon?
bdonay

Post by bdonay »

Has anyone pulled their deposit yet? Getting tired of waiting for my scoot or even word from my dealer that its on its way. My wife and I had a similar problem when we ordered her buddy in 2008, but at least the scoot shop was nice enough to touch base at least once a week until the bike arrived so we didn't feel like we were throwing our money away.
bluezurich

Post by bluezurich »

I know we said this a few weeks ago but I'm sure we're 3 weeks out at this point. That's with the latest info my dealer got from Trey @ Genuine. I bet they land at Dealers June 7-12.
ScootStevie

Post by ScootStevie »

bluezurich wrote:Hey Stevie!

Any signs of the Genuine shipment? They left the Indian port by April 24th and Genuine has no clue if they are here yet (Call the shipping company?) Love to think they have landed and are just held up in Customs.

Thanks
Do you know the ship they're coming in on?
bluezurich

Post by bluezurich »

Is this a trick question?
bdonay

Post by bdonay »

bluezurich wrote:I know we said this a few weeks ago but I'm sure we're 3 weeks out at this point. That's with the latest info my dealer got from Trey @ Genuine. I bet they land at Dealers June 7-12.
My dealer explained to me that it would be at least two weeks from when he gets the vins to the day he takes delivery. If this were true, the dealers would have the vin #s by now and we would be getting calls as to when we could expect to pick them up.
bluezurich

Post by bluezurich »

I was told that my dealer would get the VIN's a few days prior to having them shipped to him so I don't expect to hear news of that until about a week from delivery. Plus I'm closer to Chicago than you are by a few days. But do any of us really know? No. It's all conjecture.
Mark2000

Post by Mark2000 »

Just spoke to VP Roy Park again. Guess what! They're still on the water! And now the ETA to Chicago is June 7th. The roll out to stores will be June 14th. So we just went from early June to mid June. Wanna bet these won't actually get to us until August? Because they've been on the boat for 2 months now.
bluezurich

Post by bluezurich »

frus-trated
Last edited by bluezurich on Tue May 25, 2010 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Gee, can't Genuine make the boat go any faster? :)

Believe me when I say that Genuine wants these on US shores and on dealer floors as fast as any of us do!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
bluezurich

Post by bluezurich »

frustrated
despurvoa

Post by despurvoa »

If they really want the scooters "on US shores and on dealer floors" that much then tell us by posting it on their websites. Notify the dealers with the information. Why the hell is this the only place to find heresay?
Is that so hard?

If I could afford to pull my deposit on the Stella I would at this point!

Beyond Frustrated!!!!
bluezurich

David-

Post by bluezurich »

You're free to email Roy or Trey at Genuine anytime. So my dealer says ;)

trey@genuinescooters.com

Give him a jingle and see what he says.
bdonay

Post by bdonay »

despurvoa wrote: If I could afford to pull my deposit on the Stella I would at this point
What do you mean, afford? Just walk in the shop, get your deposit back and buy a scoot that actually exists.
despurvoa

Post by despurvoa »

Yeah, you're right, bdonay!
Time to be proactive! Thanks! :)

PS. I've always liked Bodoni. Nice, understated serifs and a good baseline width overall!
bluezurich

Post by bluezurich »

Yep a great time to buy a 2009 2T! $2900 with warranty.
Mark2000

Post by Mark2000 »

ericalm wrote:Gee, can't Genuine make the boat go any faster? :)

Believe me when I say that Genuine wants these on US shores and on dealer floors as fast as any of us do!
The point is they've been saying the scoots are on the boat for months now. Clearly it's not true. And clearly they know the status of their own stock. So they're covering for something. Either that or Columbus is hauling the cycles over on his wind powered sailing ship.

By lying to us about when the shipment will get here they are postponing a purchase of a scooter which is screwing up our schedules and keeping us from other models. It's more than a little unfair.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Mark2000 wrote:
ericalm wrote:Gee, can't Genuine make the boat go any faster? :)

The point is they've been saying the scoots are on the boat for months now. Clearly it's not true. And clearly they know the status of their own stock. So they're covering for something. Either that or Columbus is hauling the cycles over on his wind powered sailing ship.

By lying to us about when the shipment will get here they are postponing a purchase of a scooter which is screwing up our schedules and keeping us from other models. It's more than a little unfair.
Who exactly has been saying for months they're on a ship? I talk to my dealer a few times a week and have talked to Genuine about this and no one has ever told me this. I was told they were expected in May at some point, and then that was pushed back—as almost always happens.

No one is purposefully lying about this. There's no reason for them to do so. Genuine realizes that the longer it takes to get them here, the less time they have to sell them.

At worst, there were some estimates for arrival—not shipping—that have not been met. Oh well.

[sarcasm]Of course, the sensible thing to do if you're frustrated (as we all are to some degree) is probably harass people at Genuine who have nothing better to do than listen to complaints about something they have no power over at this point. [/sarcasm]

In the past, when Genuine has withheld shipping and distribution dates because of these types of issues and delays, people whined and complained. Now they've offered an estimated arrival date, it's been bumped back, and people are whining and complaining.

Whatever was actually said or communicated to dealers is confounded by posts of "my dealer told me…" and "well I heard…" and all sorts of rumors, miscellaneous guesses and conjecture.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
bluezurich

Post by bluezurich »

I think the general air of frustration comes from Genuine throwing around the month of April quite a bit. Well, I for one probably have fell victim to some false hope with not so exact information pertaining to crossing the Pacific on container ship and thus was self led to believe that late May was happening.

I personally have no clue how long a ship takes to get to Long Beach from India. I took my clues from people on this board and those in freight related businesses I work with.

I think that once they land and clear customs it will be a quick few days to get to Genuine and then the dealer dispersal.

I personally never had false hopes of an April delivery date but was hoping more for mid May in order to enjoy a beautiful spring on a new scoot.

I have voiced my frustrations and others have joined me in grumbling but now I am prepared to chill and wait a bit more patiently since my bp level doesn't get cargo ships into port any faster.

Now I'm hopeful for Father's Day. It'll be my 3rd baby. If it was a 2T I'd pass out cigars but maybe I'll just take friends out for a ride instead.

Hey how about a Facebook page for Stella 4T deposit waiters? We could give Eric a break!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/2010-Stel ... 707?v=wall

Cheers!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

FWIW, a dealer I spoke with today told me they'd been told the shipment would be in the US in April and at dealers approx. a month later. Then… then it was June. So. Okay. June.

I've also talked to some others who do importing from various countries. Some have said they can get exact dates. Others have said it's wide open. So… that's instructive… :?

If I had any inside info on this, I'd share but I don't. If I hear anything more specific, I'll definitely post.
Mark2000

Post by Mark2000 »

I'm not conjecturing, eric. I've been calling Genuine. Each time they say its on the boat. That means the bikes have been on the boat a long, long time. As I've said before, when people place orders on something and then have to wait an extra 2-3 months they generally get an explanation or compensation. We haven't gotten either and that's what annoys me. Now I understand you have a bike already. I've never had one in CA. I've been waiting for this thing and not buying another since April. I have a CA learners permit that is also time sensitive. Looking it up it takes a cargo ship 2.5 weeks to cross the Pacific. So somebody is placating us via misinformation.