Another flat tire!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Elm Creek Smith

Another flat tire!

Post by Elm Creek Smith »

Well, I lost my back tire again, and my Budd only has 13,000+ miles on it! Since I'm still on the original (!) front tire, I decided to give the Vee Rubber All-Purpose tire a try. I just ordered two of them with a set of Dr Pulley 12gm weights and a Kevlar belt, too. I'll update this after I get my stuff and get everything on my scoot.

I was running around 50 mph eastbound on 56th St N just past Yale up north of Mohawk Park when the back end started wiggling. I relaxed when I realized it wasn't the front and let the Budd coast to a stop. Luckily, I didn't lose the tire when leaning the scoot over radically in the esses on 46th St N or going over the Bird Creek Bridge on 56th St N.

I called my lovely wife who brought my pickup truck to recover my Bravo Delta scoot. Yeah, I feel good.

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.
Yes, I wear a helmet and a FIRSTGEAR armored jacket.
No, I'm not embarrassed to be seen riding it.
Yes, that is an NRA sticker on the fender.

"I aim to misbehave."
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

13,000 miles. How many times have you changed your rear tire? You should be pretty much at the end of your third rear tire by 13,000 miles...

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Elm Creek Smith

It's my second back tire. :wha: The new ones will be number three on the back and number two on the front. Yeah, I know I've been pushing my luck. No longer.

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.

"I aim to misbehave."
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Sorry to hear it, ECS! But good to hear from you again. I wasn't sure you were still out there! I'm off to Amerivespa tomorrow--talk to you soon!
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
Vic

Post by Vic »

We had a friend who showed up at a rally with a severely worn back tire, it was so bad that you coudl see the cording in some places, never mind about any tread. Sheh decided to go ahead and try to ride in the rally and about halfway through the ride the tire blew, she managed to keep it upright and pull over to the side without hitting anyone else. 4 others stopped and stayed with her and missed out on the remainder of the ride and ended up riding behind the sag wagon back to the shop.

I see it as my life is depending on two tires to be in perfect working order, I don't go father than the wear indicators, I see no reason to take a chance. For me, that means I get new tires every few months, but that is fine with me and worth it for the peace of mind. It is no guarantee that I won't pick up a nail or some dumb thing, but at least nobody will say that I was taking a risk that I knew had a high likelihood of ending badly.

-v
Elm Creek Smith

Hi, pugbuddy! Still here, still scootin'. Wish I could Amerivespa this year, but we (not MetLife) lost a worker to reassignment and are getting ready to lose another temporarily when his wife has her "any minute now" baby. I'm not goin' anywhere but to work for at least a couple of weeks.

I admit, vic, that I was pushing my luck, but at least I didn't have tread showing! I'm going to take a more conservative line on scooter tires from now on. I've gone over 6,000 miles on both back tires, and, as I said, the front has the whole 13,000+ on it. Don't have anything more to prove, so I'll be running a lot less miles before changing tires in the future.

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.

"I aim to misbehave."