Handling feels "buttery" after 700 miles - questio

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

richard

Handling feels "buttery" after 700 miles - questio

Post by richard »

I got my buddy 125 at the beginning of May and have been using it for my daily commute ever since. The past couple of rides I have been on i have noticed that the scoot seems to glide around a bit more seemingly from the rear end. I am totally new to scooting so it could be that I am just getting more comfy. Could it be the tires breaking in? The suspension? It has just made me more reluctant when cornering because I don't want to fishtail or slide out. Am I just crazy? Anyone else experience this? Thanks!
juice

Post by juice »

Make sure your tires are fully inflated. Good luck .
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

juice wrote:Make sure your tires are fully inflated. Good luck .
this
richard

Post by richard »

All right, I'll definitely check the pressure before I head out again.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

FYI, it's a good habit to check your tire pressure roughly every other fill up...

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
bpatrick5

Post by bpatrick5 »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:FYI, it's a good habit to check your tire pressure roughly every other fill up...
Amen! The 150 and 50 seem to drop air pressure at about 5+ PSI within a week of filling the tires.
richard

Post by richard »

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I checked pressure on both tires. Rear was around 27± and the front was right around 30. Maybe I am just getting the "feel" for the ride since I'm not so tense on the bike now. I might have someone else with more experience take a ride on it and let them decide if it feels all right. Thanks again, I really appreciate it.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

With your scooter on the center stand and the rear wheel off the ground, grab the rear wheel and make sure it does not have much/any side-to-side play. Other than that, my suggestion would have been air pressure, too.

Good luck!
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

richard wrote:Maybe I am just getting the "feel" for the ride since I'm not so tense on the bike now.
That would do it :lol:
richard

Post by richard »

Ran out to the parking garage and wiggled my rear wheel. It wouldn't budge, so I think I'm all good. Probably just new rider jitters freaking me out. Back to work...
Vic

Post by Vic »

I am not exactly sure what "buttery" means, but I know that when I (finally :oops: ) understood and started countersteering it was a little bit disconcerting to me at first because the scoot is so very responsive to countersteering, it feels very different than trying to wrestle the scoot into submission and the whole thing just goes...

Perhaps you have learned a more effective method of controlling the scoot and did not realise it?

My suggestion is to go out and practice-a lot-to see what your skill level is and what you and your scoot are capable of doing.

-v
richard

Post by richard »

Vic, that's a great point. I guess by buttery I meant smooth and easy. It's as if the ride has gone from stiff and solid to loose and flickable. It just freaked me out a little bit because all of a sudden I was able to basically glide all over the road without much effort at all. I especially noticed it when coming to a stop light as I would kind of meander to a complete stop by snaking back and forth a bit as opposed to an inline halt. I'll take your advice and just keep practicing. I'd rather find out how far and fast I can lean in a parking lot than on the road with traffic.
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Ah, that's what you mean by buttery. What's your odometer at?
In addition to the above (and :+!: to relaxing ;) ) it might be your rear shock breaking in. When mine settled in I noticed it immediately. Namely, "hey...that stretch of crappy pavement didn't rattle my teeth this time! Woohoo!" :lol:
richard

Post by richard »

I'm about to kiss 800 miles. I was wondering if the shock could have something to do with because I had been pushing the envelope (for me, probably not for the Buddy) when taking some twisties near my home. It seemed to start shortly after I had worked up enough courage to do that kind of riding, and promptly made me second guess my ability to handle the bends. It was definitely a night and day kind of feeling though, like something had settled in.
lilguy

Post by lilguy »

I have a Buddy 50 and I know exactly what you're talking about. Thanks for posting this. It definitely feels "flickable" and scared the crap out of me last week. I've been taking it much slower ever since, because it feels like the bike could slip so easily. Could be just the "break in" of the bike?
Vic

Post by Vic »

It might be more a case of rider break in than scoot break in :wink:
I am a little concerned that you say it meanders all over when coming to a stop and you are not coming to an inline stop. Am I understanding that correctly?
If you are trying to come to a stop without turning, are you able to do that? If it is not allowing you that kind of control I would suggest that you have someone else (preferably someone with experience, like your mechanic) ride it and see if it handles fine for them.
Also, if this is an issue definitely do not ride on wet, slippery, gravelly (is that a word?) or otherwise compromised surfaces. When riding on these kinds of surfaces it is extremely important to necer change more than one variable at a time, by "variable" I mean speed or direction, primarily. Each of these variables reduces your traction and on compromised surfaces your traction is also reduced. If you are meandering around when coming to a stop, you are turning-changing direction, and you are stopping-changing speed, and I am concerned that you may slip and go down.
Hopefully I am not clear and it is not a problem. I just laid my scooter down when trying to take off from a stop, I was on some of that super slippery mud that I dub "K-Y mud" and hopped on, twisted the throttle and down it went, the next thing I knew my scooter was laying on the ground between my feet. It has a few minor scratches and I am going to touch those up, but it still sucks.
Cheers,
-v