NBR - An interesting looking sport scooter I see around here

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

rajron

NBR - An interesting looking sport scooter I see around here

Post by rajron »

Around Honolulu the most popular scooter is a 50cc two stroke, they are everywhere, every color all shapes and forms and all types of people ride them – a rental dealer with a very large fleet said he only rents 2T’s because they are so much easier to maintain. The next large group of riders are the Harley rentals; then zipping around are the CPI GTR 180’s. If you like a sport looking scooter this is the one. I don’t know anything about them, but, I see that they are quick and stable and very cool looking; I understand they are reasonable in price and Taiwan built.

dwayneed

Post by dwayneed »

Looks like it would be a blast if it were manual transmission. CVT is propably fun too though!
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

that scooter looks like it would be a great start to a little scooter streetfighter :twisted: I love the metal tubing that shows outside of the body panels.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
Keys

Post by Keys »

It is also available in the U.S. as a 150cc.

--Keys
"Life without music would Bb"
Quo Vadimus

Post by Quo Vadimus »

Is this considered a scooter just because of the CVT? What is my untrained and uncivilized eye not seeing?
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

Quo Vadimus wrote:Is this considered a scooter just because of the CVT? What is my untrained and uncivilized eye not seeing?
It's NOT a scooter, it's a small motorcycle and it's also lame :wink: . If you want a scooter, get a scooter. If you want a bike get a bike.

Disclaimer: "this is just my opinion and should not be taken as actual fact" :lol:
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

ScooterTrash wrote:
Quo Vadimus wrote:Is this considered a scooter just because of the CVT? What is my untrained and uncivilized eye not seeing?
It's NOT a scooter, it's a small motorcycle and it's also lame :wink: . If you want a scooter, get a scooter. If you want a bike get a bike.

Disclaimer: "this is just my opinion and should not be taken as actual fact" :lol:
Looks in that picture that the engine is not integrated into the swing arm, I call small motorcycle too :)
Roose Hurro

Post by Roose Hurro »

The engine on the swingarm.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Roose Hurro wrote:

Yep, thats basically the defining difference between scooter and motorcycle.
Roose Hurro

Post by Roose Hurro »

Kaos wrote:
Roose Hurro wrote:

Indeed... and, considering how close the engine is to the rear wheel (sorry, tried to find pics of the other side, no dice), though it may look like a motorcycle, it's a scoot, engine and swingarm combined, from what I can tell.

illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Saw those at DealerExpo last year at the Flyscooter booth, Fly had a deal to bring them in, then CPI declared bankruptcy and decided not to export to the US for the time being. I guess maybe Hawaii has their own importer. CPIs have come in before, and I think I heard something about someone else trying to bring them in soon.

They look like good bikes, they have a decent reputation outside the US but I think they've been through a lot of short-lived importers here.

I won't get into the semantics argument, it's right there on the line between scooter and motorcycle.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

It's clearly a Scotorcycle... engine in the rear suspension, no step through design and enough storage for your wallet. Looks like fun, like a fairing equipped Madass :twisted:
EZPZ #65
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

nissanman wrote:Looks like fun, like a fairing equipped Madass :twisted:
That's my thoughts exactly. Good description.

Just Gotta Scoot did a review of one a while back and it looks promising.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
Keys

Post by Keys »

Scoot!magazine also did a feature on one...the 50cc model. They were impressed with the handling and braking, but the power was WAY less than they had hoped for.

--Keys
"Life without music would Bb"
rajron

Post by rajron »

We rented 50cc’s from this company; they also sell “Mopeds” one model is the CPI: http://www.mopedsdirect.net/sale.html
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Roose Hurro wrote:
Kaos wrote:
Roose Hurro wrote: The engine on the swingarm.

Indeed... and, considering how close the engine is to the rear wheel (sorry, tried to find pics of the other side, no dice), though it may look like a motorcycle, it's a scoot, engine and swingarm combined, from what I can tell.

Oh, this again. :)

Folks are going to define scooter vs. motorcycle using various qualifiers, many of which are arbitrary or have eroded over time (displacement, wheel size). Engine placement is a pretty good one. There will always be, and always have been, bikes that challenge and defy most working definitions, though.

The federal government has one of the broadest definitions of "scooter" (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards §571.123, S4). To paraphrase, it's anything with a seat, less than four wheels that moves itself, floorboards or footrests and a step-through or step-over design ("the part of the vehicle forward of the operator's seat and between the legs of an operator seated in the riding position, is lower in height than the operator’s seat"). This would qualify—but by a small margin—on those terms.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
bpatrick5

Post by bpatrick5 »

Our Honda dealer has a Big Ruckus with 6K miles for sale. A friend and I took a look at it the other day. I was blown away with how completely original and funkidelic it was. This picture of this hybrid scooter/MC seems as original to me as the Big Ruckus was. I'd love to see it in person.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

I like the look of this scootercycle. I'm not so much a purist as to not appreciate a cool looking bike, whatever it is. The best thing is, I have the unique opportunity to buy one. The only hurtle so far is whether or not spares will be available and whether or not it is CARB approved. I'd probably want to know if the engine is a "standard" GY6 or not. Anyway, I'll know in the next few days. :)

BTW: The engine is part of the swingarm via the transmission ala scooter. Look closely at this picture:
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

babblefish wrote:I like the look of this scootercycle. I'm not so much a purist as to not appreciate a cool looking bike, whatever it is. The best thing is, I have the unique opportunity to buy one. The only hurtle so far is whether or not spares will be available and whether or not it is CARB approved. I'd probably want to know if the engine is a "standard" GY6 or not. Anyway, I'll know in the next few days. :)

BTW: The engine is part of the swingarm via the transmission ala scooter. Look closely at this picture:
If you can take a shot of the trans cover and maybe the engine itself close up its fairly easy to identify a GY6.
rvajma

Post by rvajma »

A guy that comes out to my club rides has one of these and it is pretty quick. Just not as quick as my '84 ETS or Blackjack.