Indian made motorcycles and scooters

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

birdmove

Indian made motorcycles and scooters

Post by birdmove »

I've looked at some two stroke Stellas at a local dealership, and find them pretty cool. I'm not strictly speaking a scooterist, but have ridden motorcycles since I was eight (now 56). I did but a Ruckus and rode it for a couple years when my wife had a Honda Metro.They were fine riding around the San Juan Islands in Puget Sound.

I do know a little bit about motorized two wheelers made in India. I bought a new 2007 Royal Enfield 500 Bullet in December of that year, and it's approaching 4000 miles. I also ride my 2007 Yamaha XT225 dual sport, and my 2006 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883.

The Enfield has some similarities to the Stella, in that it is basically a 1950s designed British thumper that was put in a time machine and transported to the modern day. It has been updated over the years with a 12 volt electrical system, five speed left hand shift transmission, and better mettalurgy and manufacturing processes.

But there have been some problems. Questionable main bearings (heard that before?), uneven assembly quality, some pistons that like to break their tops off,conrods that break in two and the like. With these motorcycles, the latter they were made generally the better they are.

The theory I have used on my Enfield is first, a long and very conservative break in period (extremely important for a long living Bullet). If one pushes this motorcycle during the break in period, as many do to Japanese bikes, that person will have a very dissapointing Enfield ownership.And the break in isn't over at 500,1000, or even 1500 miles. it's generally accepted to be 2000-3000 miles. Second, if one buys a Royal Enfield Bullet (at least the earlier iron barrel models as I have) with the idea of souping it up, they will find out that the main bearings,pistons and con rods are just not going to take it. When one of these components goes, it can hand grenade the whole engine, and has. So,the question has to be asked" If you bought an Enfield to soup it up, then why didn't you just get a Japanese bike that will take it?".

I bought mine with a full understanding of it's limitations. The bike was designed for cruising easily on 1950s English back country roads, and speeds of 35-45 and maybe some 50 mph speeds. Push it much beyond that without replacing the known weak parts mentioned, and this bike will not have a long and happy life. I bought mine to ride it stock on back roads at mostly 40-45 mph. I recently replaced the points (yes-points and condenser ignition) and set the timing, and the Bullet is now getting 75-85 mpg. The stock parts, in my opinion, are all right if the motorcycle is ridden the way it was designed for.

I do know something about two stroke engines, and owned quite a few dual sport two strokes over the years. So I wonder if those of you that have the two stroke Stellas and left it stock, if you take it easy on the scooter, does the main bearing problem still happen?

jon
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii
bluezurich

Post by bluezurich »

Now why does that town ring a bell? Oh yeah because I'm from Salt Lake! I can't answer your query but enjoyed your post fwiw,thanks