Riding a BlackJack at Amerivespa

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ericalm
Site Admin

Riding a BlackJack at Amerivespa

Post by ericalm »

I was lucky enough to have a BlackJack on loan for the 4 days I was at Amerivespa last week. I'd test ridden one before, but not for any length of time.

All of my initial impressions were reinforced: fun as hell, great pickup and handling, drop dead good looks. I got tons of compliments on it from Vespa riders, including one vintage guy who'd been making fun of CVTs the night before (when he didn't know what I was riding).

teacherquinn, who also owns a Buddy and a couple Vespas, said she was having a blast on hers.

Overall, it's definitely a better ride than my '06 Buddy 125, but that's mostly noticeable when pushing it—opening up the throttle and hard cornering.

Also, I found the BlackJack seat to be much more comfortable. Got pretty hot in the sun, though!

I tried to take pics of all the Buddys at Amerivespa. They'll all be posted soon.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
dwayneed

Post by dwayneed »

I have roughly 2k on my Blackjack and 2k on my Stella right now. I still have to stand there and decide which one I am going to ride. The Blackjack is a ton of fun!
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

that blackjack also had all the protectors on it in flat black! sexy
Coffeejunkie

Post by Coffeejunkie »

dwayneed wrote:I have roughly 2k on my Blackjack and 2k on my Stella right now. I still have to stand there and decide which one I am going to ride. The Blackjack is a ton of fun!
I dream of having this problem someday.
Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

http://javascoots.wordpress.com/
nateandcourt

Post by nateandcourt »

There are times I wish I had gotten the blackjack, But now that my Pamplona is flat black and upgrades are partially completed .. eh.

Although I would have saved a little bit of cash just getting the blackjack.

I would love to have a Stella also, but it must be fully loaded and have a sidecar. So until i can convince my wife that I need a backup scooter for when this one is in the shop it ain't happening. I need a different excuse I think.
"Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' that I wasn't previously aware of. "

Douglas Adams
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

nateandcourt wrote:There are times I wish I had gotten the blackjack, But now that my Pamplona is flat black and upgrades are partially completed .. eh.

Although I would have saved a little bit of cash just getting the blackjack.

I would love to have a Stella also, but it must be fully loaded and have a sidecar. So until i can convince my wife that I need a backup scooter for when this one is in the shop it ain't happening. I need a different excuse I think.
You need the Stella and sidecar to take the dog on trips with you. So, you may have to go get a dog for this to work.
rajron

Post by rajron »

Ericalm;

Someone loaned you a BJ for four days; lucky you – cant wait until you do the little write-up, how did the BJ compare to your kitted Vespa?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

rajron wrote:Ericalm;

Someone loaned you a BJ for four days; lucky you – cant wait until you do the little write-up, how did the BJ compare to your kitted Vespa?
Well… The Vespa has the 190 kit plus a Polini variator and a performance exhaust. It's pretty damn fast. It's also a much different ride than a stock LX. In terms of speed, the Vespa wins but that came at a pretty steep price.

The BlackJack handles so well, though! It cruises and corners effortlessly. I could definitely feel the differences between it and my Buddy 125. It's peppy-er and a more flickable than my Vespa for sure. One of my few regrets from Amerivespa is that I didn't get to ride it as much as I wanted to and didn't get to take it out into some more challenging routes.

If I was buying a Buddy and had the money, I'd definitely go for the BlackJack. If I had the scratch now, I'd buy NCY shocks and a pipe for my Buddy. I've been talking with my wife about doing some cosmetic mods; maybe I can talk her into a kit, shocks, pipe and a seat as well as a new paint job. :)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
rajron

Post by rajron »

Yea; I didn’t think the BJ would come close to your Vespa, but, I wasn’t sure.
I just got back from vacation and rode my Buddy to see how it ran, I haven’t ridden it in what seems like months – what a surprise, it is very quick and very flickable, it was like riding a 50cc scooter with bunches of power – the Buddy’s are very nice – kitted makes them even more fun.
PIStaker

BlackJack At Amerivespa

Post by PIStaker »

Eric,
Don't forget to mention the instant cool factor. see attached example.
Attachments
EricalmRS.jpg
EricalmRS.jpg (74.17 KiB) Viewed 1980 times
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

If I was buying a Buddy and had the money, I'd definitely go for the BlackJack. If I had the scratch now, I'd buy NCY shocks and a pipe for my Buddy. I've been talking with my wife about doing some cosmetic mods; maybe I can talk her into a kit, shocks, pipe and a seat as well as a new paint job.
My only issue with the BJ is...that it's black! I much prefer some color for my scooter! Otherwise, I really like the look. I've never ridden one though. How much "peppier" is it, I wonder?
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
r0sa

Re: BlackJack At Amerivespa

Post by r0sa »

monamibuddy wrote:Eric,

:rofl: :rofl:

lookin' pretty GANGSTA!!!
PIStaker

The guy on this was cool too.

Post by PIStaker »

r0sa,
The guy on this thing was pretty cool too.
Attachments
Bruckus.jpg
Bruckus.jpg (74.04 KiB) Viewed 1963 times
PIStaker

Orange Version Perhaps

Post by PIStaker »

pugbuddy wrote:
If I was buying a Buddy and had the money, I'd definitely go for the BlackJack. If I had the scratch now, I'd buy NCY shocks and a pipe for my Buddy. I've been talking with my wife about doing some cosmetic mods; maybe I can talk her into a kit, shocks, pipe and a seat as well as a new paint job.
My only issue with the BJ is...that it's black! I much prefer some color for my scooter! Otherwise, I really like the look. I've never ridden one though. How much "peppier" is it, I wonder?
B,
The "TangerineJack" rolls off the lips pretty easily.
hmmm.
Mike
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

r0sa wrote:

That's me. I roll hardcore, y'all!

I'm actually wondering how possible it would be to do the flat matte in other colors. I think a deep, dark, matte red would be pretty hot.
PDR MCBC

Post by PDR MCBC »

We have an extremely hot 2-tone flat purple scoot around here. Pics:

http://www.stephcarson.com/blog1/?p=3854
rajron

Post by rajron »

As for the cool factor, jus a wee bit of sun tan might help
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

ericalm wrote:
r0sa wrote:

That's me. I roll hardcore, y'all!

I'm actually wondering how possible it would be to do the flat matte in other colors. I think a deep, dark, matte red would be pretty hot.
Super easy. When I bought my '50 Chrysler it was two tone flat gray and brown. I've also seen flat red and flat blue before.
PIStaker

Purple

Post by PIStaker »

PDR MCBC wrote:We have an extremely hot 2-tone flat purple scoot around here. Pics:

http://www.stephcarson.com/blog1/?p=3854
I really like what they did there. Just wish they offered a different colored piping on the BJ seat other than red. (the same one I am rockin, btw)
I love the purple, but I think the contrast with the red is bit jarring.
I love the UK version of the Stella in Lilac:
Attachments
Capture2.PNG
Capture2.PNG (111.72 KiB) Viewed 1928 times
gearhead

Re: The guy on this was cool too.

Post by gearhead »

monamibuddy wrote:r0sa,
where's the pic?^
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Until he wrecked it! :lol:

I like that two-tone purple scooter--very nice!

SIDE NOTE: I hit 14000 miles on my Buddy on the ride back from Amerivespa! Still going strong!
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

gearhead wrote:
where's the pic?^

its there! above!
beeporama

Post by beeporama »

The BlackJack has been great for someone like me, who cares enough to want nice parts but doesn't care enough to significantly mod a stock scooter.

Assuming it has been successful, I can see a flat red one, or maybe they'll go crazy and offer it with flame detailing. Given the image and target marketing for the BlackJack I can't imagine they'd go with anything too tasteful or staid. javascript:emoticon(':twisted:')

I do wonder about the crossover in the target market for the BlackJack and the 220cc Blur. The BlackJack has more aesthetic appeal, but the Blur seems to supersede it from a practical standpoint. I wonder whether we'll see one of them folded into the other somehow.