Online source for Buddy mirrors?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

cowgirl helmet

Online source for Buddy mirrors?

Post by cowgirl helmet »

A week and a half ago, when I took a spill while coming up my driveway, I broke my left-hand mirror clean off. The part of the mirror mount with the threads snapped in two, right in the middle, so I need a new mirror.

I tried ordering one from SCOMO, and asked for quick delivery. At first their response was that they were closed for two days for inventory. I figured that it would take longer to find another source and re-order than to wait for SCOMO, so I sat tight.

I just got an e-mail from them, more than a week after my original order, telling me that the mirrors are back-ordered. Grrr. :evil:

Now I need to find a reliable on-line source for a mirror right quick. (The one and only semi-local Buddy dealer closes too early for me to get there after work.) Does anyone have any suggestions? I did a search of the forum, but didn't come up with anything.

Thanks in advance.
cowgirl helmet

Post by cowgirl helmet »

Answered my own question by going to the list of dealers on the Genuine site and picking up the phone. I ended up ordering from Sportique in Denver -- they had 30 in stock, unlike any of the dealers in Maryland or Virginia (none of them had a single mirror, and the parts guy at one of them -- Coleman PowerSports in Woodbridge, VA -- said "Genuine? Is that the name of a company?").
ellen

Post by ellen »

cowgirl helmet wrote: Coleman PowerSports in Woodbridge, VA -- said "Genuine? Is that the name of a company?").
I know Coleman sells Genuine. I guess they never told the parts department! :lol:
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Try Scooterworks (Genuine's sister company). They don't have it listed on their site, but may have them in stock. Call 888-96-VESPA.

You may also want to try Motorsport Scooters: 619-280-1718. If they have it, they usually ship same day.

And... have you tried your dealer?
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
cowgirl helmet

Post by cowgirl helmet »

ericalm wrote:... have you tried your dealer?
Yep. First place I tried, both on the web and on the phone.

I shopped first on the web, because it was after hours. Moto Strada (my dealer) unfortunately has a lousy website. SCOMO is reasonably nearby, has a good rep, and had the mirrors listed on their site. So I ordered from them.

When I heard that SCOMO was out of stock, I ran a search on this forum. No luck. Then I ran a search on Dogpile for "Genuine Buddy" and "parts" and "store." No luck. Then I checked Scooterworks's site. No luck. Then I went to Genuine's site, found the list of dealers, and called Moto Strada, who didn't have them in stock either. Then I worked my way, by phone, through the other Maryland and Virginia dealers listed on the Genuine site. That's when I figured I might as well give Sportique a call, since they're the ones who gave me the test rides on the Buddy that made me decide I should get one to replace my Fly. Bingo. (And Colin at Sportique told me to say hi to the guy at Moto Strada.)

Thanks for the tip re: calling Scooterworks, and for the info about the other shop.

Ellen, it appears that the only branch of Coleman PowerSports that sells Genuine scoots is the Falls Church branch. At least the parts guy at that branch knew what I was talking about. :roll: It was the guy at the Woodbridge branch who'd never heard of the company.
golfinguy

Post by golfinguy »

The mirror part number for a 2002 50cc Vino (other years are covered by this part number, and I think possibly some years of the 125cc as well) is a direct swap in (same manufacturer and size, threads on the mirror), but the quality produced for the Vion seems higher than the part produced for the Buddy, even though from more than a foot away they are the same piece.

I know this as I have swapped mirrors off a Vino onto a Buddy.
From our wonderful Buddy 50 service manual:
ass’ part loose
cowgirl helmet

Post by cowgirl helmet »

Thanks for the info! I'll keep it in mind, just in case I break another mirror.
cowgirl helmet

Post by cowgirl helmet »

Grrrr. My mirror was supposed to arrive last Friday. As of today, it still hadn't shown up, so I called Sportique. Turns out Colin, who took my order, totally spaced it out, and the mirror hasn't been sent yet. They promised it would go out right away. :evil:

I hate scooting without full rear vision.
un_designer

Post by un_designer »

are the mirrors from the vino round or oblong in shape? i'd like to replace my mirrors too.. the round mirrors look cool, but it's difficult to see.
golfinguy

Post by golfinguy »

un_designer wrote:are the mirrors from the vino round or oblong in shape? i'd like to replace my mirrors too.. the round mirrors look cool, but it's difficult to see.
Vino 50 mirrors are round, and the replacement ones you can get are the same length as the Buddy ones. I checked at my local scooter shop (twist n scoot). The Vino 125 mirrors are apparently oblong, if they have the same thread as the vino 50, that would be an easy swap.
From our wonderful Buddy 50 service manual:
ass’ part loose