Is this a good deal?

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

glamourgirrrl

Is this a good deal?

Post by glamourgirrrl »

Found an 05 Stella with no body damage and running fine with 650 miles on it. The owner wants $1500. It's the original owner and its been kept in the garage. Is this a good buy and should I offer less?
murmur

Post by murmur »

That is a great deal. What color is it? Not that it matters for that price. Make sure it starts up, thats only 162 miles a year.
bluezurich

Post by bluezurich »

When you get around 2000 for a not too old used bike it gets into the 'what's it worth to you?' arena but at that price if it's mech sound it sounds just right. Why not pay 50~ bucks to get it checked and if good offer 1400?
glamourgirrrl

Post by glamourgirrrl »

There isn't a scooter shop very close by, my only option is to have my dad look at it and he's ALWAYS at work. What are some things I should look for? I'm not too familar with the Stella. I've read just about every thread on the forum, but still feel pretty clueless. I have 2 buddies and desperatley want to add a Stella The color is black, but I would want it painted pink...
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

Great deal but I'd offer 1400 cash anyway. 5 years old with so few miles, you'll want to drain the gas and oil, clean the carb (just do a rebuild) and change the gear oil. All your cables should at least be lubed if not replaced. Stuff you want to check: Do all the lights work, does the gas gauge work, has the headlight been replaced/is the lens well sealed. Does the electric start work/how much kicking does it take to start it? Does it smoke? (answer should be yes).

If you've never been on a manual shift scooter, you probably don't want your first ride to be a test ride with an audience.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kbIG5SIrmpg&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kbIG5SIrmpg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
glamourgirrrl

Post by glamourgirrrl »

Ok I talked to the guy again and the gas gauge is broken. I offered $1200. It does have tags and it is licensed in AZ. Is this deal too good to be true? How much to fix the gas gauge? HELP!! I want this scooter but don't want to be dumb about it.
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

You really don't need the gas gauge... when it dies because you ran out of gas, flip it to reserve and then go fill up. Just remember to flip it back. If the guy will take 12 and you don't want it, give me his number. I like road trips when I come home with another scooter :D
bluezurich

Post by bluezurich »

glamourgirrrl

Post by glamourgirrrl »

Ok I think he's going to take the offer. I don't have a trailer to get it home. Would a Uhaul work?
maribell

Post by maribell »

Yes, but you'll still need a ramp, tie downs, and something to secure the front wheel.

Nice score! If you know anyone that knows how to ride shifty, have them coach you. First gear is tricky.
glamourgirrrl

Post by glamourgirrrl »

Tomorrow is the big day. i'm going to take a look at it and have someone who is going to deliver it for me. The battery on the scooter is dead. Should I purchase a new battery prior to pick up so I can make sure the electric start works and headlights etc? New battery should run about $70. right?

So far we've got we've got broken gas gauge (no big deal)
Dead battery ($70)

Any other red flags?

This will be the first Scooter I've bought without bringing my dad in on. He typically checks stuff out for me. The seller owns a local clothing store and seem pretty straight up. He point blank said he doesn't want his high school, and college age sons riding it because "it's dangerous".

I know Stella's need TLC and My dad can fix about anything, I just don't want a Great deal to become a nightmare.

Thanks for all the tips so far!!
mr bill

Post by mr bill »

Hi Glamourgirrrl,

Cave Creek I spent a winter there about 30 years back,
but I digress.

Sure enough it's a good deal, make sure you
budget for a helmet and gloves. Saftey first. :D

Best of luck with it.

Cheers.

PS: We like pictures. :wink:
bluezurich

Post by bluezurich »

glamourgirrrl wrote:Tomorrow is the big day. i'm going to take a look at it and have someone who is going to deliver it for me. The battery on the scooter is dead. Should I purchase a new battery prior to pick up so I can make sure the electric start works and headlights etc? New battery should run about $70. right?

So far we've got we've got broken gas gauge (no big deal)
Dead battery ($70)

Any other red flags?

This will be the first Scooter I've bought without bringing my dad in on. He typically checks stuff out for me. The seller owns a local clothing store and seem pretty straight up. He point blank said he doesn't want his high school, and college age sons riding it because "it's dangerous".

I know Stella's need TLC and My dad can fix about anything, I just don't want a Great deal to become a nightmare.

Thanks for all the tips so far!!
http://www.scooterworks.com/Battery_12V ... 75C446.cfm
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Don't worry about the broken gas gauge; virtually all Stellas have those. I repaired or replaced mine twice before I finally decided it was not an issue.
murmur

Post by murmur »

I never use the ele. start on my bike so having a working battery is not an issue for me. Once you get the scoot fill up the batt. with dist water and ride it for a while (or let it idle). Odds are that the batt. will live again, but maybe not. Don't sweat the gas guage, you can always look in the tank.
glamourgirrrl

Post by glamourgirrrl »

Got the Stella!! It's in terrific shape and I was able to get the price down even more! He also had the rear chrome rack and two helmets. Not interested in the helmets so I'm going to yard sale them. Now I just have to figure out how to ride it...
bluezurich

Post by bluezurich »

This thread is worthless without pictures ;)
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

glamourgirrrl wrote: Now I just have to figure out how to ride it...
I'm kinda short, so I used http://www.scooterworks.com/Corsa_Racin ... 01C551.cfm til I got comfortable riding it.
glamourgirrrl

Post by glamourgirrrl »

Here are some pictures.
Attachments
stella rear.jpg
stella rear.jpg (3.81 KiB) Viewed 1718 times
stella side.jpg
stella side.jpg (4.49 KiB) Viewed 1718 times
stella 3.jpg
stella 3.jpg (4.66 KiB) Viewed 1718 times
stella front.jpg
stella front.jpg (3.97 KiB) Viewed 1718 times
glamourgirrrl

Post by glamourgirrrl »

Does the corsa racing seat make you sit lower? I'm really short, about 5'3. I can only touch on my tip toes. I was going to have my dad take it in and get the seat cut down...
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

MUCH lower. I swear I'm 5'2", although everyone says I'm shorter and I can put both feet down.

bluezurich

Post by bluezurich »

Plus a good quality Corsa or Ancillotti, and it matters as there are crap versions out there so order from Scooterworks or Motorsports please, will be much firmer yet still compliant unlike the stock mushy Stella seats. You might get 1 1/2 lower with the Ancillotti and 2-3 lower with a small frame version fitted for a LF.