Stella 4T's to be in Chicago by the 7th!

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Gary Sebben

Post by Gary Sebben »

I got yellow. Furi kuri!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Gary Sebben wrote:I got yellow. Furi kuri!
Going to put a big P! sticker on the legshield?
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
bluezurich

Post by bluezurich »

There are a bunch of those crazy nuts here in Utah!
Gary Sebben

Post by Gary Sebben »

If I can find one. It's harder than you'd think.
bluezurich

Post by bluezurich »

Gary Sebben wrote:If I can find one. It's harder than you'd think.
I'll try to link you to someone who has sticker knowledge
Tee Jay

Post by Tee Jay »

I just got off the phone with GSC in Chicago. You guys are exactly correct as to the Customs hold. They are checking the Stella's with a fine tooth comb. I know we are not hearing much info and getting frustrated with the wait. He sounded (GSC) like he has the same frustration. On a good note. If you've ordered a Blur, you'll be getting it befor the Stella. For some reason the Customs let them go straight through. And they are shipping out now. Just a thought if GSC is paying LML in dollars for these scooters and the value of the dollar is going up. Does that mean GSC is making a lot more money.......
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

Thanks for the update Tee Jay. I wonder if it's because the Blurs are from Taiwan (PGO) and are somehow more trustworthy in the eyes of the feds, or whomever is doing the fine-tooth comb-deal with the Stellas?
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

Rippinyarn wrote:Thanks for the update Tee Jay. I wonder if it's because the Blurs are from Taiwan (PGO) and are somehow more trustworthy in the eyes of the feds, or whomever is doing the fine-tooth comb-deal with the Stellas?
I like the theory(joke) that Piaggio bribed someone for the Stella delay.
The Scary thing is that it would make sense that Piaggio is not nearly as threatened by the Blur, right?
~Lovelandstella
----------------------------------------
Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

bluezurich wrote:So, what color did everyone order?
RED! (see photo)
~Lovelandstella
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

The Blur 220s are here and going out to dealers?

But not in CA… not CARBed yet.

:cry:
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Lovelandstella wrote:
Rippinyarn wrote:Thanks for the update Tee Jay. I wonder if it's because the Blurs are from Taiwan (PGO) and are somehow more trustworthy in the eyes of the feds, or whomever is doing the fine-tooth comb-deal with the Stellas?
I like the theory(joke) that Piaggio bribed someone for the Stella delay.
The Scary thing is that it would make sense that Piaggio is not nearly as threatened by the Blur, right?
Hilarious.

I don't know how Piaggio USA is reacting to the Stella, but I know some dealers are rightfully concerned about its debut in CA.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

From http://www.genuinescooters.com/feat/stella_news.html
To Our Valued Customers:

Our first production shipment of 2010 Stella 4-Stroke arrived in Chicago on 6-9-2010, and was staged for review by United States Customs (Homeland Security) for clearance. Normally, this process can take a few days or up to a week. However, we have been advised that the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has requested an "extensive" examination of the vehicles. Simply stated, EPA is evaluating the Stella 4T to validate all aspects of compliance outlined in our original certification documents issued for this model. At this point we have been advised to wait for a response from the government without any indication of how long it may take. We intend to cooperate fully with any of their requests.

We have the finest EPA certified test lab and certification agents in the business. We are doing everything in our power to expedite this review, but at this point the government has not given us a completion date. This is extremely difficult for us, for the dealer, and for you our customer, all of whom have been waiting for Stella 4T.

Be assured that we will keep you informed as this governmental process and review continues and we thank you for your support.

We appreciate your confidence and patience, and we look forward to delivering your new Stella as soon as possible.

Your friends at Genuine Scooters.
ModBud #442
bluezurich

We had this news last week!

Post by bluezurich »

MB is faster than Genuine!

But we knew that.

*sigh* Maybe I wasn't being so silly when I started calling this the 2011 Stella.

It's like being mugged, after a while the 18th kick to the ribs doesn't hurt very much any longer. Here's to Fall scooter riding!
bluezurich

Post by bluezurich »

The hoodie Philip sent me will be great in the Fall when my scooter arrives.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Well, damn.

I have to wonder why the Blurs were passed through but not the Stellas. Maybe something to do with the documentation?

On the plus (?) side, I may have time to have a few Stella tutorials up by the time they arrive in dealers. Yay. This morning: disconnecting the turn signal beeper.

Also got a better look under the cowls yesterday. It's a brave new world in there as far as I'm concerned.
10gallonhat

Post by 10gallonhat »

According to the post, normal is up to a week, which would only have been yesterday. So hopefully extensive is not too much longer then normal. 2 weeks or less total would be nice.

Does this mean some EPA employee gets to un-crate and use at least one of our Stellas? That's cruel.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

10gallonhat wrote:Does this mean some EPA employee gets to un-crate and use at least one of our Stellas? That's cruel.
They can tear it apart and cut it into tiny pieces if they want. Cruel indeed.
Gary Sebben

Post by Gary Sebben »

My dealer called me yesterday afternoon to tell me that these were indeed in customs. I'm guessing that if they were calling yesterday these things aren't coming out of customs for awhile yet.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Gary Sebben wrote:My dealer called me yesterday afternoon to tell me that these were indeed in customs. I'm guessing that if they were calling yesterday these things aren't coming out of customs for awhile yet.
It's no longer a Customs issue. The EPA review is to make sure that the shipment meets all of the environmental specs and that the scoots match what the EPA tested way back when. This could just be a paperwork thing, checking all the forms and docs for crossed t's and dotted i's. Or it could lead to actual re-testing of the scoots and examining all the parts, etc.
crackhead

Post by crackhead »

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000569405102

I guess I'm late to the party.

I don't like the way the 2-wheeled business world runs, on the (w)hole, pun intended. But I do believe that Genuine is one of the more reputable companies that we in the states have. For that reason alone, I would suggest not chiding them publicly. It will do none of us any good.

I know some dealers are reputable and their customers can count on them. I also know there are many who will bold-faced lie to their customers every time. So I feel that you have to take what a dealer says with as much caution as you do an importer or even a manufacturer. As always, use your own judgement.

I find that if someone puts off someone else by whatever means the relationship never turns out good.
polianarchy

Re: We had this news last week!

Post by polianarchy »

bluezurich wrote:MB is faster than Genuine!

But we knew that.
No, Genuine posted that to their Facebook & Twitter feeds. I'm simply au curant, a la mode. 8)
ModBud #442
bluezurich

Post by bluezurich »

That's not what I meant and reading back it wasn't too cryptic btw....what I mean is that we discussed this earlier (days ago) here on Modern Buddy. I don't tweet, I'm over 40.
bluezurich

Post by bluezurich »

ericalm wrote:
10gallonhat wrote:Does this mean some EPA employee gets to un-crate and use at least one of our Stellas? That's cruel.
Well TGSC would be eating that one, bummer.
crackhead

Post by crackhead »

Is this you, Bluezurich?

"[name redacted by Moderator]: I think that since you are not one of us awaiting our bikes that your comments are moot. I too praise TGSC but not for their handling of the information to those who have preordered the Stella 4T. IMHO general praise is something for a different thread.First and formost I am happy that LML is manufacturing these bikes and secondly I am happy that TGSC is bringing them in to our country."
despurvoa

Post by despurvoa »

I was just about to ask why were some allowed to be shown or demonstrated or driven anywhere if they aren't EPA approved in the first place. And if they are, why the stalling now? "Who got ahead of who?" is my main point, and why are exceptions being made on any of the scooters?
I'm not trying to call out anyone because they or their dealership have gotten one early, just perplexed at this last hold-up when every indication was (and no doubt still is) that the 4-T Stella is perfectly legit.
Makes me hate the government bureaucrats all that much more!
bluezurich

Post by bluezurich »

Must be something other than CARB approval.
bluezurich

Post by bluezurich »

ericalm wrote:
crackhead wrote:Is this you, Bluezurich?

"[name redacted by Moderator]: I think that since you are not one of us awaiting our bikes that your comments are moot. I too praise TGSC but not for their handling of the information to those who have preordered the Stella 4T. IMHO general praise is something for a different thread.First and formost I am happy that LML is manufacturing these bikes and secondly I am happy that TGSC is bringing them in to our country."
Thank you Mr. A
crackhead

Post by crackhead »

Well apparently it is you and apparently I pissed you off. I just received an inbox message which reads:

[message content removed by Moderator]

All I was doing was trying to suggest that whomever this person was not be slandering Genuine before they even received their product. I felt personally attacked on their facebook thread and was trying to de-escalate it here. I really don't think slandering Genuine in any way will result in good news for any of us.

I do think the "don't go there" comment could be read in a threatening manner. Was that your intention?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Okay, all:

It took me about a second to connect "bluezurich" and "[name]" on Facebook since you'd posted some of the same comments both places. If you're posting to publicly available social media, then you either need to stand by your words under whatever name you choose or do a much better job of concealing your identity. Welcome to the 21st Century.

Second, if anyone has a problem, contact me or a Moderator instead of sending someone an obnoxious PM.

Third, please don't post others' PMs. It undermines trust and privacy. If someone's being an asshat, forward to me or a Moderator to deal with.
crackhead

Post by crackhead »

Eric, I didn't see that there was an icon available on the PM to alert a moderator. I would have gone there first if I had.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

crackhead wrote:Eric, I didn't see that there was an icon available on the PM to alert a moderator. I would have gone there first if I had.
There's not… but don't worry about it. :)
Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

ericalm wrote:
:shock: my heart just stopped.
~Lovelandstella
despurvoa

Post by despurvoa »

I think I'm going with the 2-stroke. Wisconsin riding season is just too dang short!
I'm thinking either Powder Blue or Red. Amazingly the wife hates the powder blue and says it's too fruity. I'm not sure what that means, but I just like the retro color of the powder blue.
Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

ericalm wrote:...On the plus (?) side, I may have time to have a few Stella tutorials up by the time they arrive in dealers. Yay. This morning: disconnecting the turn signal beeper.

Also got a better look under the cowls yesterday. It's a brave new world in there as far as I'm concerned.
lets focus on the plus side!
are there any photos you can upload? (like maybe that rear rack you were talking about?)
or quick scan of the owners manual front page?

Not to bother you too much, just a quick scrap to throw us before we get ravenous again? :P
~Lovelandstella
JoshWED

Post by JoshWED »

My dealer called today offering to get a 2t as well. I'm seriously considering it; the decision is environment v 2t glory.
despurvoa

Post by despurvoa »

After the BP spill I'm thinking my scooting around on a little gas-sipping 2T Stella is a bit relative.
Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

despurvoa wrote:After the BP spill I'm thinking my scooting around on a little gas-sipping 2T Stella is a bit relative.
true- but just to play the devils advocate: if this kicks off another oil crisis, the 140mpg(well see) could be nice.
not that a 2t stinks at the pump- it still makes my jetta look like a gas guzzler
~Lovelandstella
BrooktownGeezer

Post by BrooktownGeezer »

Hopefully all will go without a hitch, and they'll hit the dealers in early July. On the other hand, if the EPA finds anything materially different from what was described in the CARB certification process (like a part swapped out by LML inadvertently or to save $$) then the 4T stellas might be in Chicago for a while.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

polianarchy wrote: I'm simply au curant, a la mode. 8)

I love ice cream!

But I am wondering what the green scoop is!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Lovelandstella wrote:
ericalm wrote:...On the plus (?) side, I may have time to have a few Stella tutorials up by the time they arrive in dealers. Yay. This morning: disconnecting the turn signal beeper.

lets focus on the plus side!
are there any photos you can upload? (like maybe that rear rack you were talking about?)
or quick scan of the owners manual front page?

Not to bother you too much, just a quick scrap to throw us before we get ravenous again? :P
Yup, pics and such on my phone right now. I'll be posting, hopefully tonight.
Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

BuddyRaton wrote: I love ice cream!

[a large image]

pistachio?
~Lovelandstella
Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

ericalm wrote: Yup, pics and such on my phone right now. I'll be posting, hopefully tonight.
soWEEt!
~Lovelandstella
Roose Hurro

Post by Roose Hurro »

ericalm wrote:The Blur 220s are here and going out to dealers?

Just like the SYM Symba... :roll:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Roose Hurro wrote:
ericalm wrote:The Blur 220s are here and going out to dealers?

Just like the SYM Symba... :roll:
Kinda, but also not. The Symba was submitted to CARB over a year ago now. SYM at first made some estimates for its CA delivery dates, then extended them, then stopped guessing. Now they just kind of shrug.

I know CARB can take a long time but I have to wonder if the Symbas aren't being held up because they've been rejected or failed. The reasons can be as simple as a sticker in the wrong place. They can also be things that don't necessarily have to do with actual emissions or functioning, like the CA-requirements for the evap system design or gas tanks or some other thing not being met.

The original Blur passed, the 220i will actually have better emissions numbers, so there shouldn't be any hangups.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Lovelandstella wrote:
BuddyRaton wrote: I love ice cream!

[a large image]

pistachio?
Zombie blood? :twisted:
ModBud #442
adamj

1st post, Howdy!

Post by adamj »

Hello All! The passion and anticipation for this new breed is contagious! What are the chances of getting on board so late in the game? Is there a second shipment heading to our shores anytime after this first batch gets allocated?
I look forward to seeing ericalm's photographs and report! Lucky dog!

Adam
ericalm
Site Admin

Re: 1st post, Howdy!

Post by ericalm »

adamj wrote:Hello All! The passion and anticipation for this new breed is contagious! What are the chances of getting on board so late in the game? Is there a second shipment heading to our shores anytime after this first batch gets allocated?
I look forward to seeing ericalm's photographs and report! Lucky dog!

Adam
Have you talked to your local dealer?
Tee Jay

Post by Tee Jay »

We recieved this e-mail on June 17th

"Dear Stella Friends,

Last night, we received some news on the coolest new scooter in the United States, the 4-stroke Stella. According to Genuine, this little badass machine has attracted the attention of the US government, specifically the EPA, and this has pushed our delivery date back by as much as a month. It's unfortunate news, and for details on this set-back please see below.

First, the scooters are awaiting release by customs in Chicago, where the EPA has ordered an extensive review of this brand new model. The scooter has already been certified, but now the EPA wants to take a closer look at the bike and make sure each component truly is compliant, and the timeline on when this will be finished is somewhat unpredictable.

Now, this result is completely unforeseen. It could happen to any model of scooter, but we at Motorsport Scooters believe this is a result of the flood of cheap Chinese imports in the last few years. Scooters from China are not EPA-rated and as such are not legal to drive in the United States, but a lot of these scooters have been imported nonetheless, and in the last year the US government has begun to take notice. Because of this, they've decided to look very closely at ALL new two-wheeled vehicles that arrive in the United States, and that's why they've decided to take this moment to confirm the Stella's certification.

In fact, there is no reason to worry about the Stella not being released: the Genuine Stella 4T has already passed all EPA and CARB tests (which are much more stringent than the EPAs). The real problem this presents is that we're unsure when the EPA will be finished with their review, and only then will the scooters be released from customs. Our current prediction (keeping in mind the unpredictability and unprecedented nature of this situation) is that the scooters will be released inside of 4 weeks. This brings our likely delivery date to late July/early August. "

I'm getting pissed now! I understand the Customs had to do their thing. But they didn't get to Chicago until June 9th!!!! When I spoke with GSC last week he said they were shipped to an East Coast port. I'm no Geography major but WTF.

I'm still waiting but don't know how much more I can put up with!
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

I know waiting suck but hang in there...it WILL be worth it.

This is not an entirely unique situation with things being shipped from overseas. I ordered my 07 Burgman Exec in early November 06 with a $100 deposit. They don't import many so it was order or don't get one

Well as with the new Stellas it got hung up in shipping then I got a call in February saying it was in!!!!

Then I got a call two days later to tell me that it had been damaged in shipping and could be another month...or three.

A week later they called and said that another one had come in. I don't know if it was supposed to be for another customer, but they sold it to me.

Honestly...it is now pretty hard to remember how painful the wait was. But I do know that after 23,000 miles there is still no other maxiscooter that I want. I am really glad that I waited and got what I wanted.

You will be too!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

BuddyRaton wrote:I know waiting suck but hang in there...it WILL be worth it.

This is not an entirely unique situation with things being shipped from overseas. I ordered my 07 Burgman Exec in early November 06 with a $100 deposit. They don't import many so it was order or don't get one

Well as with the new Stellas it got hung up in shipping then I got a call in February saying it was in!!!!

Then I got a call two days later to tell me that it had been damaged in shipping and could be another month...or three.

A week later they called and said that another one had come in. I don't know if it was supposed to be for another customer, but they sold it to me.

Honestly...it is now pretty hard to remember how painful the wait was. But I do know that after 23,000 miles there is still no other maxiscooter that I want. I am really glad that I waited and got what I wanted.

You will be too!
wow. that sucks and is very close to what I am going through.
If november to feburary etc is still prime riding weather then I'd say you know exactly how I feel and we are on the same page.

if those months are not months when you would be happily riding and enjoying the weather (like the rainy season or something- do you have one?- I honestly don't know I don't live in florida- so please tell me- but don't elaborate too much- I might get depressed living in a cold state ;-))
anyway, then it still sucks but not exactly like the current 4t situation.

but no biggie-
the fact that you also had huge delays and now 23000 miles later you can barely remember it and only enjoy your scooter? that is very encouraging and I thank you for that.
:D
~Lovelandstella