Buddy 250

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Shellee

Buddy 250

Post by Shellee »

Ok, this is just wishful thinking I'm sure. But wouldn't a 250cc Buddy be GREAT? :wink:
~ Shellee
Genuine Buddy 170
www.scooterdiva.com
cowgirl helmet

Post by cowgirl helmet »

:shock: Shellee, when I saw the title of this thread, I thought Genuine had announced they were going to actually make a 250 Buddy.

I wonder if a 250 would have the same soul as the 125 and 50 versions?
Bryce-O-Rama

Post by Bryce-O-Rama »

I thought some crazy person stuffed a 250 into a Buddy. Actually, I'd like to see something like that. I'll buy a beer for the first person who does it and lives to tell the tale.
- Bryce
Keys

Post by Keys »

Cut it out, Bryce! You know I'd do it!! Let's see...who has an aircooled 250.....hmmm??..?

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
Roose Hurro

Big Motor, little scoot...

Post by Roose Hurro »

I'd be happy just to see them put together that 177cc kit for the Buddy, and make some new tags to go with it (to replace the 125 sticker). Yeah, I know, I don't have a Buddy... but, if I did, I'd want to kit it, eventually.

Not that the idea of a 250cc Buddy isn't interesting.... 8) (Has images of Pod-Racers running through his head... :roll: )

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

Keys wrote:Cut it out, Bryce! You know I'd do it!! Let's see...who has an aircooled 250.....hmmm??..?

--Keys 8)
I think my brother has one in an old Beetle. That's about a 250, right?
Drumwoulf

Re: Buddy 250 -Hope not!

Post by Drumwoulf »

Shellee wrote:Ok, this is just wishful thinking I'm sure. But wouldn't a 250cc Buddy be GREAT? :wink:
Not neccessarily. Because if PGO gets TOO big they'll start changing their attitude and raising their prices! (It's beginning to happen with Kymco now..)

I'd like to see PGO keep the Buddy at 50cc and 125cc's. Having a small scooter with 125cc's that beats most 150cc scoots is a blast; sort've like one of Howard Hughes' old beatup looking Chevy's that had souped-up police interceptor engines in them. He usta humble all kinds of 'muscle cars' with those rigs..

I mean, it's gotta be sort'a neat telling Vespa LX and PX 150 riders and People and Chetak 150 riders (after you've run by them so easily) that it's "only" a 125, right? :wink:
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

Drumwoulf wrote:I mean, it's gotta be sort'a neat telling Vespa LX and PX 150 riders and People and Chetak 150 riders (after you've run by them so easily) that it's "only" a 125, right? :wink:
Better yet, swap your Buddy 125 badge for a Buddy 50 badge. Then let the humiliation begin ...
Bryce-O-Rama

Post by Bryce-O-Rama »

Keys wrote:Cut it out, Bryce! You know I'd do it!! Let's see...who has an aircooled 250.....hmmm??..?

--Keys 8)
Heck, if you can find a way to make the G-Max 200 cylinder fit on the Buddy case, I'll buy you a beer. Of course, the beer must be redeemed in person and you have to tell me how you did it.
- Bryce
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Hey Keys,

Speaking of big bore Buddy kits, what's the word from the dealer who's trying out the GY6 kits? Any luck, yet?

-John
Keys

Post by Keys »

Not yet...Ron is still working on finding all the right parts that actually fit together. He has more parts on the way as we speak. Once he finds the right part numbers and everything, I suspect the shop will make it available as a kit. I think they're only going for 150cc right now, though...

--Keys 8)
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Keys wrote:Not yet...Ron is still working on finding all the right parts that actually fit together. He has more parts on the way as we speak. Once he finds the right part numbers and everything, I suspect the shop will make it available as a kit. I think they're only going for 150cc right now, though...
Thanks for the news. I'm not so concerned about it "only" being a 150. Changing a 125 to a 150 is a 20% increase in displacement. In "Harley Years" that's like increasing an 883 to a 1060! :shock:
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

A 250cc Buddy just wouldn't be a Buddy any more. So many of those qualities we all admire—size, weight, handling, price—would be gone. :(
I'd even say at this point that a performance variator and rollers for the Buddy would be of more value than a cylinder kit that will cost twice as much for an additional 25CCs. Most people just want more "oomph" up hills and in traffic... roller weights would allow riders to customize where they get it. Also, from what I hear, a variator upgrade with a pipe makes a world of difference.

Genuine has hinted about putting out a scoot with higher displacement. Possibly not a PGO...? If they were going for a 250+, I'd want something bigger, more comfortable for passengers, and with more storage options.

And why a Buddy 250? If you want something that big, the Kymcos are quite good, or you can splurge for a Vespa GTS (or wait for a GTS 400) or an Aprilia SportCity. I say keep the Buddy as it is!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Keys

Post by Keys »

...and then there's me...I want the small size of a Buddy with the power of a BV500. Oh yeah..!!! If I wanted a bigger size, I'd have gotten a bigger size.

As for the weights, I'm looking at slighter heavier weights for a wee bit of increased top end since I spend so much time on the highway. I'll lose a little bit of acceleration, but with the SuperTrapp's increased bottom end (with 4 or 5 plates instead of 6 or 7), I can still get away from stoplights okay.

--Keys 8)
cowgirl helmet

Post by cowgirl helmet »

ericalm wrote:A 250cc Buddy just wouldn't be a Buddy any more. So many of those qualities we all admire—size, weight, handling, price—would be gone. :(
That's part of what I meant by "soul." Not sure I can capture the rest of what I meant. If I manage, I'll post.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

cowgirl helmet wrote:
ericalm wrote:A 250cc Buddy just wouldn't be a Buddy any more. So many of those qualities we all admire—size, weight, handling, price—would be gone. :(
That's part of what I meant by "soul." Not sure I can capture the rest of what I meant. If I manage, I'll post.
I get what you're saying. Different soul, I'd say!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
rob_fuel

Post by rob_fuel »

I agree with those who have said that a Buddy 250 wouldn't be anything like the Buddy we all know and love... But what about a Stella 250? Now that's a scooter I'd like to get my hands on.
rajron

Post by rajron »

I don’t want a 250cc Buddy, I want the power of a 250cc motor though!
How cool would that be, a quick small scooter even faster and quicker.
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

How about a manual transmission on a Buddy? Could you imagine the pick-up it would have?
Tbone

Post by Tbone »

Drumwoulf wrote:I mean, it's gotta be sort'a neat telling Vespa LX and PX 150 riders and People and Chetak 150 riders (after you've run by them so easily) that it's "only" a 125, right? :wink:
:P

Eat my exhaust at the top end :wink: SURE you'll beat me off the line but I'll smoke you later on :wink:
"Life Is all about ASS! You're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, or trying to get a piece of it!"
ellen

Post by ellen »

Tbone wrote:
Eat my exhaust at the top end :wink: SURE you'll beat me off the line but I'll smoke you later on :wink:
Not Necessarilary grasshopper... Shellee with her "little 125 Buddy" always pushes my Fly (which has the same engine as your LX) at the top end.
Tbone

Post by Tbone »

I know, there's a variety of factors involved. I was being silly...GEEZ!

Do either of you have Black? They are the fastest scooters around as everybody knows! :wink:
"Life Is all about ASS! You're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, or trying to get a piece of it!"
weaseltamer

Post by weaseltamer »

rob_fuel wrote:I agree with those who have said that a Buddy 250 wouldn't be anything like the Buddy we all know and love... But what about a Stella 250? Now that's a scooter I'd like to get my hands on.
Same here!! :lol:
Drumwoulf

Post by Drumwoulf »

weaseltamer wrote:
rob_fuel wrote:I agree with those who have said that a Buddy 250 wouldn't be anything like the Buddy we all know and love... But what about a Stella 250? Now that's a scooter I'd like to get my hands on.
Never happen! The Stella is a two-stroke, and the new 2-strokers barely make it thru emissions requirements now at 50cc's! The 2005 Vespa PX150 2-stroke is just about the last of its kind in that size, and even it had to get a special dispensation to be imported here.
A 250cc 2-stroke scooter engine would be almost impossible to develop that would be acceptable for today's clean air standards... :!:

You want a good (4-stroke) 250? Try Honda, Yamaha, Kymco, or Vespa. But be prepared to spend around $6K for a new one... They almost double in price over the 125-150 class! :shock:
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Drumwoulf wrote:
weaseltamer wrote:
Never happen! The Stella is a two-stroke, and the new 2-strokers barely make it thru emissions requirements now at 50cc's! The 2005 Vespa PX150 2-stroke is just about the last of its kind in that size, and even it had to get a special dispensation to be imported here.
A 250cc 2-stroke scooter engine would be almost impossible to develop that would be acceptable for today's clean air standards... :!:
Guess maybe you haven't heard about the 220 new Stellas arriving at dealers this October.

There are a number of technologies that would help clean up 2-stroke emissions—direct injection, different carbs, filters, etc. I'm not an expert in this area, but I do think there's been kind of a blanket dismissal of the 2-stroke engine when the fact is that the basic design and technologies employed here have been the same for decades, so there's room for modernization. Don't count it out yet. Genuine has figured some way to get more Stellas legally imported from India.
Drumwoulf

Post by Drumwoulf »

ericalm wrote:Guess maybe you haven't heard about the 220 new Stellas arriving at dealers this October.

There are a number of technologies that would help clean up 2-stroke emissions—direct injection, different carbs, filters, etc. I'm not an expert in this area, but I do think there's been kind of a blanket dismissal of the 2-stroke engine when the fact is that the basic design and technologies employed here have been the same for decades, so there's room for modernization. Don't count it out yet. Genuine has figured some way to get more Stellas legally imported from India.
No, I gotta say I haven't heard anything about 220cc 2-stroke Stellas. And honestly, I'll believe that only when I see it.. :roll: But I'll keep an open mind regarding the technology; I may be a 'greenie', but essentially I have nothing against 2-strokes as long as new ones can be made as 'clean' as comparable 4-strokes... 8)

I do suspect tho that with the new small 4-strokes now being as good as they are (look at how a stock 125 4-stroke Buddy can absolutely cream a stock 2-stroke PX150), engine designers will be looking long and hard at why they really need to design a cleaner 2-stroke when it already exists in a good 4-stroker :?:
But, time will tell.. Anything's possible :D
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Drumwoulf wrote:
ericalm wrote:Guess maybe you haven't heard about the 220 new Stellas arriving at dealers this October.

No, I gotta say I haven't heard anything about 220cc 2-stroke Stellas. And honestly, I'll believe that only when I see it.. :roll: But I'll keep an open mind regarding the technology; I may be a 'greenie', but essentially I have nothing against 2-strokes as long as new ones can be made as 'clean' as comparable 4-strokes... 8)

I do suspect tho that with the new small 4-strokes now being as good as they are (look at how a stock 125 4-stroke Buddy can absolutely cream a stock 2-stroke PX150), engine designers will be looking long and hard at why they really need to design a cleaner 2-stroke when it already exists in a good 4-stroker :?:
But, time will tell.. Anything's possible :D
Not 220cc. 220 (quantity) Stellas! These will have 150cc engines as far as we know at this point, but Genuine hasn't come out with all of the details.

As far as "creaming" a PX150, yeah a Buddy's faster. But not everything's about acceleration and speed. Just a different ride. When car shopping, most people don't go for the fastest car they can afford. Same goes for scooters.
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

Just curious, might a 250CC Buddy be called "Big Buddy" :P ?. Of course would PGO call theirs the "Big BuBu" :roll:?
Sorry, just in a weird mood tonight.