whitewalls vs. stock

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

rob_fuel

whitewalls vs. stock

Post by rob_fuel »

Trying to settle on colors and stuff. Here's a question for those who've ridden the stock Buddy and the Series Italia: are the whitewalls a skinnier tire, or does the white just have a slimming effect in photographs? The standard tire looks a little beefier to me... Anybody who can shed some light on this? Thanks.
krylonics

Post by krylonics »

I didn't compare but the dimensions 3.50 x 10 are the same. It could be the traditional tire pattern that makes them look narrow.
Bryce-O-Rama

Post by Bryce-O-Rama »

If you like whitewalls, you can buy whitewall paint. If I wanted whitewalls I'd just do this to a set of Continental Zippy 1s.
- Bryce
rob_fuel

Post by rob_fuel »

Bryce-O-Rama wrote:If you like whitewalls, you can buy whitewall paint. If I wanted whitewalls I'd just do this to a set of Continental Zippy 1s.
That is some pretty sweet stuff. Is there any other place to order it from?
Bryce-O-Rama

Post by Bryce-O-Rama »

That's the only place I know of to get that paint. It's really cool though. Someday I want to put it on a scoot.
- Bryce
pjchmiel

Post by pjchmiel »

krylonics wrote:I didn't compare but the dimensions 3.50 x 10 are the same. It could be the traditional tire pattern that makes them look narrow.
Even though they fit the same size rim, there could be differences in the width/contact patch of different makes of tire at the same (3.5 x 10) size. For instance Continental Zippy 1s (sports tread) are wider than Zippy 3s ("traditional" tread; both at 3.5 x 10) and Pirelli S26s are wider than both of those, etc.
soccerbaybe

Post by soccerbaybe »

I went with tubed whitewalls and I love the softer ride.
EAG19

Post by EAG19 »

I definitely want whitewalls. So, about the paint, do you have to remove the tires to paint them? That's a little too complex for me.
Dave

Post by Dave »

sorry if this has been discussed already.

I just noticed today that the Italia's whitewall tires say "62mph max" on the sidewall. What's the top speed of a buddy 125 again? I hope there's some margin of error in them :shock:

btw, they seem taller than the stock tires. I'll have to measure....Also they felt a bit "squirrely" to me. It felt like the back end slid out a little in the turns.
KidDynomite

Post by KidDynomite »

Yeah, I'd listen to Bryce on this one. Paint regular tubless. Those white walls on the Italia look more for cruising. My Buddy is pushed to it's limits daily.
You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner Dottie, a REBEL.
x-mojito50mod

Post by x-mojito50mod »

whitewalls are usually more "squared off" than a tubeless sports tread...you definitely shouldn't push them as hard through corners, or they'll slide out. can't wait til my stockers are worn out to put some Zippy's on, as I find them (the stock ones) a little squirrely sometimes. I got really used to my extra-wide surface patch on the tires on my Mojito...you could really get your lean on in the corners on that thing!
Drumwoulf

Tubed whitewalls on the Buddy, or black tubeless?

Post by Drumwoulf »

krylonics wrote:I didn't compare but the dimensions 3.50 x 10 are the same. It could be the traditional tire pattern that makes them look narrow.
Main difference AFAICS is that the Italia's whitewalls are tubed tires. On the older Vespas with tubed tires one usually carries a spare tire on a wheel for quick replacement; there's no spare mount for the Buddy, y'know? So what happens if (when?) you get a flat?

Tube tire, no spare: you gotta pull the wheel, remove the tire from the rim, mark where the puncture is and remove the nail, replace or patch the tube (if you got the right stuff with you), reinsert it into the tire, remount the tire onto the rim (carefully, without pinching the tube), reinflate the tire, and remount the wheel onto the bike...

Tubeless tire, no spare: find the nail hole or puncture. Mark it carefully. Remove offending object. Plug the puncture in the tire while still on the bike. Reinflate tire...

Big difference in getting you on your way again until you can replace either the patched tube or the plugged tire! Of course replacing a tire prolly costs more than replacing a tube, but IMO the convience (and the safety) factor here is well worth it...
Because when a flat occurs a tubed tire deflates rather quickly as it's not sealed onto the rim, whereas with a tubeless tire sometimes you don't even discover the flat until much later.

Having had nasty flat tire experiences over the years with both kinds of tires, I'll take the tubeless ones anyday! And they also handle better on the road because of firmer sidewalls...

There's a lot more to consider here than just looks... :roll:
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
Bryce-O-Rama

Post by Bryce-O-Rama »

EAG19 wrote:I definitely want whitewalls. So, about the paint, do you have to remove the tires to paint them? That's a little too complex for me.
I'm not sure you would have to, but the result would certainly be better if you did. Really, it's something you should do when you get new tires. Get them, paint them, and then take your scoot in to have the tires changed out.
KidDynomite wrote:Yeah, I'd listen to Bryce on this one. Paint regular tubless. Those white walls on the Italia look more for cruising. My Buddy is pushed to it's limits daily.
And sometimes beyond them.
- Bryce
Keys

Post by Keys »

Okay, kids...got the newest version of the Scooterworks catalogue yesterday. It lists whitewalls that can be applied to ANY tire! They appear to be some sort of vinyl or something. You simply remove your current tubeless tire and apply said items. There ya go....!!

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

So, just wondering...

Does all this paint or vinyl unbalance the wheels? I'm thinking you might want to check wheel balance if you try any of this stuff.

Still, better to apply this stuff and re-balance the wheels rather than go back to tube-type tires. I'm seriously thinking about coughing up close to $2000 for wheels that will allow me to run tubeless tires on my GT.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800