Stebel Air Horn

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

mrhappy2u

Stebel Air Horn

Post by mrhappy2u »

Only been riding for a little over two weeks now, but I can tell you that Stebel horn and I are best friends!

It has already saved me from getting into two nasty situations with a large truck and a big SUV beginning to turn right in front of my path! That horn definitely wakes 'em up and I ride with my thumb on the edge of it!

Thanks Genuine! Thanks Stebel!
goldscott

Post by goldscott »

Where/how did you mount it?

Pics?!
mrhappy2u

Horn

Post by mrhappy2u »

The Stebel is stock OEM on the 150... It was one of the factors (and the neat paint job I admit...) that pushed my from a 125 to a 150.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

The 150's come with the Nautilus as standard equipment.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

Lostmycage wrote:The 150's come with the Nautilus as standard equipment.
I believe that so do the 125's since 2008.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

bluebuddygirl wrote:
Lostmycage wrote:The 150's come with the Nautilus as standard equipment.
I believe that so do the 125's since 2008.
No, the 125's have the Stebel Magnum. Also very loud, but not quite as loud as the 150's. I believe the 150's is dual tone too, while the 125's is single.
mrhappy2u

Horn

Post by mrhappy2u »

Yes, the 150's have a "chord" if you will - a multiple tone. I'm just glad I know where the horn button is, always have an escape route in mind, and ride defensively.

Hey! People in big cars & trucks! Look out! Its just me, my Buddy and the pavement! Give riders a brake!
bluebuddygirl

Re: Horn

Post by bluebuddygirl »

Got it, man, I can make people jump with mine, can't imagine how many I could frighten with the bigger one.
mrhappy2u

Post by mrhappy2u »

LOL! As long as they "frighten" their left foot on the brake, I don't care! :shock:
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

So what do '09 Internationals have for a horn? Mine is pretty loud. It stopped the neighbor from pulling out in front of me. Buddies are pretty quiet, not much noise from them so they dude was really looking for a car or a truck and was not happy to see moi on my little green Dobby.
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

yup my little Italia came with the super freakishly loud horn too. My friend rides a harley and had to upgrade his horn cause he was jealous of mine :lol:
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Stormswift wrote:So what do '09 Internationals have for a horn? Mine is pretty loud. It stopped the neighbor from pulling out in front of me. Buddies are pretty quiet, not much noise from them so they dude was really looking for a car or a truck and was not happy to see moi on my little green Dobby.
You've got the Nautilus too.

The Naitilus is much louder than the Magnum.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
dakotamouse

Post by dakotamouse »

I think my Italia's horn sounds like a diesel train's horn. Last summer I was riding down old highway 10 approaching Mandan, adjacent to the highway is a railroad track.

As I was riding a train pulled up next to me. He hit his horn, then I hit mine. This went back and forth a couple of times. I think the engineer was having fun with me and my scoot with the big toot! :lol:
Ride what you like so you'll love to ride!
Scooterist Extraordinaire!
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

i need to hear this in person :D
BuddyLicious

Post by BuddyLicious »

gearhead wrote:i need to hear this in person :D
To get a general idea of the Stebel Horn sounds,you can listen to them on Stebels site.
Aerosmith, None Other.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

BuddyLicious wrote:
To get a general idea of the Stebel Horn sounds,you can listen to them on Stebels site.
Or ask your local Genuine dealer if you can hear the horn on one of the 150cc models.

I just wanted to say thanks... this thread reminded me that I'd forgotten to install my Nautilus on the Scarebear. It's nice having a horn that works (clown horns suck!) again!
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

The Stebel Nautilus is my number one best upgrade (yes, even more so than my front & rear racks). Forget about buses, trucks, & SUVs. I use mine on the zombie-like pedestrians who seem to think that a lil ol' pink scooter can't POSSIBLY be going the speed limit. :roll:
ModBud #442
C2

Post by C2 »

BuddyLicious wrote:
While you can get of an idea of the sound of the horn, you can't really get an idea of the volume. My brother-in-law had one on his Suzuki cruiser-style MC.... crazy loud!

I think this may have to be my next purchase.

BTW, I see that there is an install guide of an 07 Italia in the Tech Library. Have any of you done the install on an 09 Buddy? Anything I should keep in mind?

C2
mrhappy2u

Post by mrhappy2u »

polianarchy wrote:The Stebel Nautilus is my number one best upgrade (yes, even more so than my front & rear racks). Forget about buses, trucks, & SUVs. I use mine on the zombie-like pedestrians who seem to think that a lil ol' pink scooter can't POSSIBLY be going the speed limit. :roll:
LOL! Agree w you Polianarchy! I'm using my horn for everything now! I'm telling you they may not see me, but they damn sure hear me! Scoot!
cheez37

Post by cheez37 »

C2 wrote:BTW, I see that there is an install guide of an 07 Italia in the Tech Library. Have any of you done the install on an 09 Buddy? Anything I should keep in mind?

C2
I was wondering the same thing. Since they have changed to the Magnum on the more recent Buddies, is the Magnum mount the same as the Nautilus, or am I going to have to make a custom mounting bracket for the Nautilus on my 09?

I would love to ask my wife for this for my birthday (I have been very jealous of the Nautilus on her Pamplona), so any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

cheez37 wrote:
C2 wrote:BTW, I see that there is an install guide of an 07 Italia in the Tech Library. Have any of you done the install on an 09 Buddy? Anything I should keep in mind?

C2
I was wondering the same thing. Since they have changed to the Magnum on the more recent Buddies, is the Magnum mount the same as the Nautilus, or am I going to have to make a custom mounting bracket for the Nautilus on my 09?

I would love to ask my wife for this for my birthday (I have been very jealous of the Nautilus on her Pamplona), so any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
I *THINK* its the same, but its been a long time since I've been under the front panel on an international. I know its a lot different than the older Buddy horn mount though (just pulled the front off an '07 Buddy yesterday)
cheez37

Post by cheez37 »

Kaos wrote:
cheez37 wrote:

C2

I *THINK* its the same, but its been a long time since I've been under the front panel on an international. I know its a lot different than the older Buddy horn mount though (just pulled the front off an '07 Buddy yesterday)
Well my wife came through and got me one for my birthday! After removing the Magnum and comparing the 2 bikes, the bracket on the Pamplona is different from the 125 (it is the bracket that the front panel screws into as well). Since this looked like a manufactured bracket, I called Scooterworks to order the 150's bracket, and install it cleanly.

One problem: this part is not in Genuine's system! There is no part number for this bracket on the 150. They were surprised at this but there wasn't anything they could do for me.

Hopefully I will be able to cram it in and not have to fab a bracket. What a headache!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Talk to your dealer about the bracket. I think that the Scooterworks parts system is somewhat separate from the Genuine parts division.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
cheez37

Post by cheez37 »

ericalm wrote:Talk to your dealer about the bracket. I think that the Scooterworks parts system is somewhat separate from the Genuine parts division.
Scooterworks called Genuine and that's what they were told. Crazy.
C2

Post by C2 »

cheez37 wrote:Hopefully I will be able to cram it in and not have to fab a bracket. What a headache!
Please let us know once you get it installed. Pics would be great too!

I sure could have used it today... there is a nasty blind on-ramp/merge on my way home, and only 1 in 100 actually looks to see if they are about to merge into somebody. I do my best to be in the far lane at that point, but it's not always possible. Oy!

C2
PIStaker

Zip Ties

Post by PIStaker »

ericalm wrote:Talk to your dealer about the bracket. I think that the Scooterworks parts system is somewhat separate from the Genuine parts division.
Eric,
When I searched MB for suggestions about mounting the horn back in 08, there was a thread about mounting it by modifying a brace purchased from Home Depot. (Handy Dandy Dremel tool required for this.)
I spent the good portion of the afternoon fashioning my bracket and all installed as described.
...only to discover that the next person in the thread used some zip ties.
My method was much more fun to achieve and mechanically sound, though some would argue time consuming.
As this was my first official "mod" if you can call it that, I was happy to spend the afternoon, and the few extra bucks for my Dremel to accomplish the installation.
So, I guess my suggestion for those looking to do this: buy a Dremel and a bracket from Home Depot and have at it (you'll have fun and have a cool sense of achievement) or go to you garage, get some zip ties and zip that sucker in there.
Either way, you'll be happy you did.
It has saved my bacon more times than I care to mention.
:)
Elm Creek Smith

Post by Elm Creek Smith »

I have the Stebel Magnum on my '06 Budd, and it's about as loud as the horn in my Chevy Colorado. I heard there were some issues with the Nautilus' longevity. True? Untrue?

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.
Yes, I wear a helmet and a FIRSTGEAR armored jacket.
No, I'm not embarrassed to be seen riding it.
Yes, that is an NRA sticker on the fender.

"I aim to misbehave."
PIStaker

2 Years

Post by PIStaker »

2 years plus. Plenty of usage. Still loud as ever.
polianarchy

Re: 2 Years

Post by polianarchy »

monamibuddy wrote:2 years plus. Plenty of usage. Still loud as ever.
Ditto. And I was the one with the zip ties. :D I'm not a founding member of the Lazy A$$hole Scooter Society for nuthin!
ModBud #442
Elm Creek Smith

Post by Elm Creek Smith »

I'll stick with the Magnum. Works for me.

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.
Yes, I wear a helmet and a FIRSTGEAR armored jacket.
No, I'm not embarrassed to be seen riding it.
Yes, that is an NRA sticker on the fender.

"I aim to misbehave."
Beamster

Post by Beamster »

Where was that thread about retrofitting on an older Buddy?
rickko

Post by rickko »

Take a look at this thread; especially the 2nd to last post. Shows how to mount & wire a Stebel.

viewtopic.php?t=7884&highlight=horn

..rickko..
Ride it like you enjoy it!
MB member #2568
jmazza

Re: 2 Years

Post by jmazza »

polianarchy wrote:
monamibuddy wrote:2 years plus. Plenty of usage. Still loud as ever.
Ditto. And I was the one with the zip ties. :D I'm not a founding member of the Lazy A$$hole Scooter Society for nuthin!
HEY I want in that club! My Stebel is mounted with zip ties and it's only the magnum!!!

Zip ties and duct tape are the best.
cheez37

Post by cheez37 »

Well, after unsuccessfully trying to to figure out a good way to shoe-horn it in there , I'm going to separate the compressor from the horns and mount it that way. Haven't decided how I'm going to mount the plastic horns, but I will post pics. Here's some resources I have found about a split install:

http://www.modernvespa.com/forum/topic5 ... ilus+split

http://www.gadgetjq.com/airhorn.htm

Hope this helps others.
Perkussion

Post by Perkussion »

Just remember that the chrome emblem on the front cover has a few
small openings to let the sound through so you're still probably
going to have to 'aim' the horn's opening towards that.
Otherwise it would probably defeat the purpose of an upgrade.

It would still be loud but some of the :shock: shock :shock: factor would be lost.