Gear

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ericalm
Site Admin

Gear

Post by ericalm »

My Op/Ed piece for the week. :)

Discovered this via a link in the latest Corazzo newsletter:
http://blogs.consumerreports.org/cars/2 ... ashes.html

The meat of it:
Only a little more than half of our respondents said they had taken a formal riding instruction course, and nearly 1 in 4 said they don't always wear a helmet when they ride.

And use of safety gear drops off from there.
  • Only half of our respondents reported regularly wearing protective boots, and less than half said they regularly wear gloves.
  • About 25 percent said they always wear a leather or other protective jacket when riding.
  • Fewer than 10 percent always wear protective pants or clothing in high-visibility colors.
  • Three out of five riders admitted to riding in a short-sleeved shirt, and about a quarter said they rode in shorts.
  • More than one third of all accidents resulted in a painful road rash and almost 25 percent involved broken bones.

In the meantime, we encourage all riders to wear proper protective gear from boots to helmet to reduce the severity of injuries in the case of an accident--of which our survey respondents reveal there is a high likelihood of happening. Further, we would encourage all new and entry-level riders to take a motorcycle training course by a professional organization, such as those offered by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation.
Now, we have a policy here at MB not to get preachy about gear or discuss helmet laws. This is because these discussions usually either turn into flame wars or alienate people. We try to do our best to provide solid information rather than criticize others' judgment and decisions.

Still, I'm rather surprised by these numbers (though I can't say how accurately they reflect the riding population).

I know there are many regional and cultural differences differences in what people wear. At last year's Amerivespa in Los Gatos, CA, I was impressed by how many people were wearing full/modular helmets and riding jackets. At this year's in San Antonio, full helmets were rare and very few people (myself included) wore jackets due to the heat and humidity. (Also, this year's rides were mostly slower, in-city rides.) Even in LA, you're far less likely to see riders in Eastside hipster 'hoods like Silverlake wearing gear.

I encourage anyone who hasn't yet to read our How Much Protective Gear Do I Need? Why? and our Helmet Basics & Buying guides. No shame. No preaching.

If you have any suggestions on how we can improve those guides or have links to additional info, please share them.

And if you haven't yet taken an MSF course, please consider doing so. I had around 10,000 miles riding experience when I took it and it was still beneficial. I wish I'd taken it much earlier.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

+1. Eric, I think that most of us start out with the best intentions, ATGATT and all that. I always wear a helmet and high boots and gloves. But summer temperatures here can stay in the triple digits, sometimes more than 30 days consecutively. Mesh jackets don't really start their "air conditioning" effect until at least 30 mph. When I took the MSF course in Tucson some years ago, I asked one of the instructors, "What do you do when it's over 100 degrees?" She replied, "I don't ride my bike."
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

I started out riding with a skid lid and a t-shirt. In part it was my MSF class that really got me thinking about the gear I wore. What really did it was the gear I bought for my kid when he started riding with me. If I make my kid wear his jacket, pants, boots, gloves, and full face helmet every time he gets on the scooter then why shouldn't I do the same. The Kevlar motoport jackets actually make it cooler than it would be if I was just wearing a t-shirt so I really don't have any excuse not to go ATGATT
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

Every motorcycle rider I passed yesterday was wearing short sleeved shirts and no helmet. I am always amazed by this. I don't like to be preachy but even the smallest spill dressed like they were would scrape off some serious skin. I cheat with the pants sometimes, but I am always afraid when I don't have armored pants on that this will be the day I go down.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

I can't say enough good things about the MSF course. There has never been a day riding where what I learned there has not served if not saved me. Riding my scooter is all the more enjoyable because I know how to be safe when I ride. As many here know I am also a huge fan of the Proficient Motorcycling book as a follow up to the MSF course.

As for gear, I started with a half helmet and now I am full-face all the time both for safety reasons and because I had a bad case of ear and hearing damage from the noise and wind when wearing the half-helmet.

As for a jacket, I think a good mesh summer jacket is a great investment. If you like the jacket and it cools you properly you will wear it. I find wearing mine keeps me cooler than wearing no jacket at all. And I can look both bad ass and intelligent at the same time :P

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

By the way, you can really get things cooled down by soaking your mesh jacket in water.
But do remember to remove your phone from your pocket!
I killed a phone that way my first scooter summer! :oops:
Det finns inte dåligt väder bara dåliga kläder.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

LisaLisa wrote:By the way, you can really get things cooled down by soaking your mesh jacket in water.
:+!: to that! Thats the best way to survive on a 90+ degree day. And contrary to what you'd think, its cooler wearing the mesh than not!
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

LisaLisa wrote:By the way, you can really get things cooled down by soaking your mesh jacket in water.
on the topic of mesh jackets, I've just about had it with the mid Atlantic humidity. What are some recommendations for mens and womens meshes? Cool factor is always a plus, but practicality for 95+ degree heat index is top priority. Any riders from ATL, PHX, MIA, HOU or any other boiling points, I'd love to hear from.
cheez37

Post by cheez37 »

BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:on the topic of mesh jackets, I've just about had it with the mid Atlantic humidity. What are some recommendations for mens and womens meshes? Cool factor is always a plus, but practicality for 95+ degree heat index is top priority. Any riders from ATL, PHX, MIA, HOU or any other boiling points, I'd love to hear from.
I have a Joe Rocket Phoenix 5.0 in white. It does OK moving, but its still hot. I removed the windshield off my bike to increase airflow across my body. It helped a lot, but it did make me a little more tired fighting the wind when I drove it to work (25+ miles with a decent portion of WOT).

I just don't ride as much now as I did in the spring. It is just too hot for me here in Houston to enjoy riding my scooter. I always wear a FF helmet, armored jacket, boots, and normal pants/jeans when I ride. My wife, however still rides to work every day. She wears an FF and an armored all-white Harley mesh jacket and she does OK most days. (No comments on the jacket. Its a white jacket that fits her, which is very hard to find for a 5' girl.)

I would also like to know what the other hot weather folks do.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:
on the topic of mesh jackets, I've just about had it with the mid Atlantic humidity. What are some recommendations for mens and womens meshes? Cool factor is always a plus, but practicality for 95+ degree heat index is top priority. Any riders from ATL, PHX, MIA, HOU or any other boiling points, I'd love to hear from.
I always put my two cents in for the Fieldsheer High Flow mesh jacket. Solid armor, straps around the arms and waist to keep it in place, heavier material around the skid zones of the shoulders and arms, and a lot of airflow.

But I really want the Corazzo Ventata now that it's out!!

The Fieldsheer is relatively simple in design and the few logos that are on it can easily be removed with a seam ripper. I have mine in the gray/black version and, as has been said, it's hot at a standstill but cool in motion. It's also inexpensive.

There have been a lot of good mesh jackets recommended here over the last few years- I'm sure a search would get you some more ideas!
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

jmazza wrote:
BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:
I always put my two cents in for the Fieldsheer High Flow mesh jacket. Solid armor, straps around the arms and waist to keep it in place, heavier material around the skid zones of the shoulders and arms, and a lot of airflow.

But I really want the Corazzo Ventata now that it's out!!

The Fieldsheer is relatively simple in design and the few logos that are on it can easily be removed with a seam ripper. I have mine in the gray/black version and, as has been said, it's hot at a standstill but cool in motion. It's also inexpensive.

There have been a lot of good mesh jackets recommended here over the last few years- I'm sure a search would get you some more ideas!
I'll second the Fieldsheer jackets. I've got a Fieldsheer M3 mesh thats well armored, very adjustable and has very little logoing. Its a bit on the streetbike/power ranger side of things but not too badly. Very inexpensive though.
TVB

Post by TVB »

jmazza wrote:The Fieldsheer is relatively simple in design and the few logos that are on it can easily be removed with a seam ripper. I have mine in the gray/black version and, as has been said, it's hot at a standstill but cool in motion. It's also inexpensive.
Ditto. I got the "silver" which makes it a little cooler and a little more visible. And I removed most of the logos for aesthetic reasons.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I have the Corazzo Ventata! It's my first mesh so I can't say how it compares, but while riding it's as cool as wearing just a t-shirt.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

ericalm wrote:I have the Corazzo Ventata! It's my first mesh so I can't say how it compares, but while riding it's as cool as wearing just a t-shirt.
It actually compares poorly and you should trade me. I'll pay shipping. 8)
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

I live in Alabama, and I think we have humidity, some...

I have a joe rocket cleo 2.0- and my husband has the phoenix. They work fine.
I tried on a corazzo mesh last week and I loved it, but I doubt it will change the thermodynamics, and I have nuff jackets...
If I didn't already own FOUR jackets I would get one.

:+!: for the corazzo visibility stripe- that sells it for me.
I would advise an armored leather jacket for the winter (warm, safe, and windproof) and a corazzo mesh for the summer
Det finns inte dåligt väder bara dåliga kläder.
Tomboy.for.Equality

Post by Tomboy.for.Equality »

I just picked up the Firstgear Women's Contour mesh for $39.99 from newenough.com and I love it. I got the silver/black, which is more like gray/black.
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

Last weekend I took my ZX-6r to a shop to get a new rear tire. They loaned me a Rattler to go to *$'s, hang out and wait till they were done. I was full ATGATT, and the stares from the people when I got on that scooter were priceless. :lol:

I am wearing my helmet, gloves, and now that it's somewhat nice, my mesh riding jacket. I don't wear boots and any leg protection. For some reason, I can't ride two wheels without gloves, even my bicycle, I wear gloves. Just doesn't feel right.
Using the internet for evil since 1994.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

rsrider wrote:Last weekend I took my ZX-6r to a shop to get a new rear tire. They loaned me a Rattler to go to *$'s, hang out and wait till they were done. I was full ATGATT, and the stares from the people when I got on that scooter were priceless. :lol:

I am wearing my helmet, gloves, and now that it's somewhat nice, my mesh riding jacket. I don't wear boots and any leg protection. For some reason, I can't ride two wheels without gloves, even my bicycle, I wear gloves. Just doesn't feel right.
Around Portland its very common to see full gear on scooters and streetbikes. The Harley/Cruiser crowd to too, but its not quite as common.
TVB

Post by TVB »

rsrider wrote:For some reason, I can't ride two wheels without gloves, even my bicycle, I wear gloves. Just doesn't feel right.
I've religiously worn fingerless gloves (and bike helmet of course) on my bicycle for years, ever since I scraped up both of my palms in a fall, which let me effectively unable to work (keyboard, mouse, screwdriver, pencil, stylus) for a few days while I was in bandages.
Elm Creek Smith

Post by Elm Creek Smith »

I won't get preachy, Eric.

1. The ground doesn't care what you're riding if you go down.

2. The ground doesn't care how fast you're going if you go down.

3. The ground doesn't care how far you fall if you go down.

4. The ground will hurt you if it can because the ground doesn't care.

I was run off the road into a median curb at 35 mph. I was able to get on my scraped up scoot and ride home. If I'm not wearing a full-coverage (now modular) helmet, FirstGear mesh jacket, and over-the-ankle boots, I don't ride. YMMV.

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.
Yes, I wear a helmet and a FIRSTGEAR armored jacket.
No, I'm not embarrassed to be seen riding it.
Yes, that is an NRA sticker on the fender.

"I aim to misbehave."
TVB

Post by TVB »

Elm Creek Smith wrote:The ground doesn't care how fast you're going if you go down.
It doesn't care, but you will. The faster you were going, the farther you will slide. The farther you slide, the more protection (or flesh) you will wear through.

Also the faster you're going, the harder the tree/car/curb/ground/whatever you run into will hit you.

Speed does make a difference. Going 30mph or even 15mph doesn't magically protect you from all harm, but it is safer than going 45 and even more so 60.
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

TVB wrote:
Elm Creek Smith wrote:The ground doesn't care how fast you're going if you go down.

Also the faster you're going, the harder the tree/car/curb/ground/whatever you run into will hit you.
It's not the slide that kills you, it's that sudden stop at the end.

We all choose the level of risk we are willing to take, when doing anything.
Fieldsheer makes a nice one-piece that will go over your regular clothes and is pretty easy to take on and off. Way cheaper than an Aerostich. http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/hot+ ... +one+piece
Using the internet for evil since 1994.