Brand new Buddy Black Jack!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Radio King

Post by Radio King »

Just wrote the check a few hours ago, and I am so excited! This is my first scooter, and the helpful threads here helped me make my decision. I'm currently waiting for the dealer for finish prepping it for me, then my salesman is actually going to drive it to my home. Can't wait! I DID notice on the receipt that it's an '09 model, but I paid $2515 for it out the door. I gather this is a good discount. Is there any real difference between the '09 & the '10?
kneil67@yahoo.com

Post by kneil67@yahoo.com »

welcome to the forum where are you fom?
Tee Jay

Post by Tee Jay »

Did you buy this in AZ.? If so sh.........t!!!! I called them this week and they asked if I wanna put a deposit on it. I said no caus I'm waiting on another scoot. If that other scoot doesn't work I'm going to get a Blackjack. Don't know if I can beat that deal.

Bottom line CONGRATS on a great buy!

Damn good deal!
ed85379

Post by ed85379 »

That is a suspiciously low price, considering the MSRP of $3499.

I got my 2009 BlackJack a few months ago, slightly used (1700miles) from the dealer, as it was being ridden by the dealer himself, for $2900.
Tee Jay

Post by Tee Jay »

Hey Ed check out:

AZ moto city
sorry link didn't work
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Congrats! '09 and '10 are the same, no worries!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Radio King

Post by Radio King »

Norfolk, VA. is where I am, as is the dealer. Am I allowed to post dealer's name? I must admit, knowing the MSRP of $3499, I had to do some fancy improvisation to avoid him seeing my jaw hit the floor. I was originally looking at 50cc bikes (Vino, Buddy, even a Schwinn) there last night. I went home, did some Googling, and I settled on getting the Vino, should they meet my ceiling of $2000. But it wasn't gonna happen; he couldn't get close to that price range, so I started considering the Schwinn, which he offered to let me have for $1450 (including 2 helmets). Oddly, I hadn't even noticed the Blackjack 'til I was about to leave for the night. I (almost) laughingly asked him about it: he said probably mid $2000's. Went home, found you guys, realized what a potentially good deal this was, then went back this AM to see if he was gonna stand by his offer. Sure enough, he said $2650. I said "sold". When doing the paperwork, I noticed it was now only $2515. I was told that when I get it licensed at DMV, I'll have to pay the difference, so, in essence, it's actually gonna be $135 more. Still, a great price, I believe. And yes, the odometer said 00001.2, tires were unmarred, so I'm confident it's on the level. (I even got the accessory chrome exhaust pipe.) It has a manufacture date of 2/09, so I have to assume it's been sitting in the showroom for well over a year. I feel very lucky right now.

And thank you, ericalm!
Last edited by Radio King on Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
sosha

Post by sosha »

Wow....what a deal!
Radio King

Post by Radio King »

Yep, I see you've found the same pricing deal I encountered, though I rather doubt that includes dealer prep & all that other irritating hidden cost stuff. I guess they ARE hurting, though I wonder why..?
Radio King

Post by Radio King »

In my excitement to explain my purchase, I neglected to thank everyone in this thread for welcoming & congratulating me... So THANK YOU!

Now I have a question: how difficult, and what technique would you folks recommend for removing the "Black Jack" stickers? Since the bike has had them on for 1-1/2 yrs, do you think there would be any discoloration underneath? Also, is this the appropriate place to ask this, or should I start another thread?
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

I'm hella jealous. Way to go. The Black Jack is the Buddy I'm looking at when I make the move from the 50cc Italia. There is however a very nice used Vespa at CCM for $2400............but first, must pay off ZX-6R.
Using the internet for evil since 1994.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Only thing better than riding a scooter is riding a scooter you got a great deal on! Nice! Many happy miles to you.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Radio King

Post by Radio King »

Thanks Skootz! You made me feel good. :)
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Radio King wrote:In my excitement to explain my purchase, I neglected to thank everyone in this thread for welcoming & congratulating me... So THANK YOU!

Now I have a question: how difficult, and what technique would you folks recommend for removing the "Black Jack" stickers? Since the bike has had them on for 1-1/2 yrs, do you think there would be any discoloration underneath? Also, is this the appropriate place to ask this, or should I start another thread?
The stickers should come off pretty easy. Just park in the sun for an hour or so and then peel them off slowly. If it's not a warm day, heat 'em up with a blow dryer a little bit.

If you have a piece of clean, rigid plastic or maybe wax paper, you can stick them on that rather than throw them away.

I saw a Blackjack at Sportique Scooters a week or so ago and it had the badges removed but they had placed an off-center Sportique logo in red on the front; looked schweet!
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
ed85379

Post by ed85379 »

Radio King wrote:When doing the paperwork, I noticed it was now only $2515. I was told that when I get it licensed at DMV, I'll have to pay the difference, so, in essence, it's actually gonna be $135 more. Still, a great price, I believe. And yes, the odometer said 00001.2, tires were unmarred, so I'm confident it's on the level. (I even got the accessory chrome exhaust pipe.) It has a manufacture date of 2/09, so I have to assume it's been sitting in the showroom for well over a year. I feel very lucky right now.
The extra at the DMV is so people can't avoid their state sales tax by buying out of state. MA does that too. The sales tax is charged directly by the DMV instead of the dealer collecting it. Strange that your dealer even listed that on the price.

The prima exhaust is automatically part of the Blackjack. It is one of the things that makes it a Blackjack instead of just a Buddy 150.
Radio King

Post by Radio King »

ed85379 wrote:The prima exhaust is automatically part of the Blackjack. It is one of the things that makes it a Blackjack instead of just a Buddy 150.
Ah, thanks. Yeah, I knew it was supposed to be included, but with the sharp discount, I was only halfheartedly expecting it. Now, the question is, do I want to use it instead of stock?
traugu

Post by traugu »

Congratulations! Enjoy! :D
Radio King

Post by Radio King »

traugu wrote:Congratulations! Enjoy! :D
Thanks traugu!
ed85379

Post by ed85379 »

Radio King wrote:
ed85379 wrote:The prima exhaust is automatically part of the Blackjack. It is one of the things that makes it a Blackjack instead of just a Buddy 150.
Ah, thanks. Yeah, I knew it was supposed to be included, but with the sharp discount, I was only halfheartedly expecting it. Now, the question is, do I want to use it instead of stock?
Why would you ever want to downgrade from the prima exhaust?

Wait, was the prima not already attached? Did they just toss it in in a box or something? The prima exhaust *is* stock for the Blackjack model, and it is considered an upgrade from the standard 150s, one of the things that makes the Blackjack faster.
Thadsgood

Post by Thadsgood »

The Blackjack "comes with" the prima pipe, the original exhaust is standard, if you want the Prima put on instead of the original then you have to work that out with your dealer. Most put them on without you even needing to ask. It also comes with a bigger jet, which again, can be put on, but isn't "standard" per se. I'm still not sold on the Prima pipe. Not sure the upside (whatever that may be) outweighs the downside of the preponderance of failed weld stories.
Radio King

Post by Radio King »

I'm not sure which is which. The one that came pre-installed on the bike is the black one (see attached).
The off-road only Prima exhaust is the chrome one, and yes, that is still wrapped in bubblewrap. I don't know the difference between either, so I'm not sure which would be better to use.
Attachments
BlackJackOutOfCarton.jpg
BlackJackOutOfCarton.jpg (25.39 KiB) Viewed 1520 times
Radio King

Post by Radio King »

Thadsgood wrote:The Blackjack "comes with" the prima pipe, the original exhaust is standard, if you want the Prima put on instead of the original then you have to work that out with your dealer. Most put them on without you even needing to ask. It also comes with a bigger jet, which again, can be put on, but isn't "standard" per se. I'm still not sold on the Prima pipe. Not sure the upside (whatever that may be) outweighs the downside of the preponderance of failed weld stories.
Thanks Thadsgood. From what little I've been able to gather, it would seem to be of questionable quality, as well as adding little performance enhancement. I wanted to ask here though, 'cause I'm new to all this. :)
ed85379

Post by ed85379 »

Ha. I didn't know it was even an option. I suppose I bought mine a little strangely. Technically I bought it slightly used from one of the owners of the dealership, instead of from the dealership itself. So, it had all of the Blackjack upgrades, plus a rear-rack and crash-bars installed. It got me $600 off the MSRP with 1700 miles on the bike, but that's nowhere near the incredible deal you got.
Radio King

Post by Radio King »

ed85379 wrote:Ha. I didn't know it was even an option. I suppose I bought mine a little strangely. Technically I bought it slightly used from one of the owners of the dealership, instead of from the dealership itself. So, it had all of the Blackjack upgrades, plus a rear-rack and crash-bars installed. It got me $600 off the MSRP with 1700 miles on the bike, but that's nowhere near the incredible deal you got.
Thanks Ed. I honestly don't know why the stars aligned as they did, though your $2900 price is damned good too (only $250 more than mine). Plus, I like your rear-rack and crash-bars add-on.
ed85379

Post by ed85379 »

Radio King wrote:
ed85379 wrote:Ha. I didn't know it was even an option. I suppose I bought mine a little strangely. Technically I bought it slightly used from one of the owners of the dealership, instead of from the dealership itself. So, it had all of the Blackjack upgrades, plus a rear-rack and crash-bars installed. It got me $600 off the MSRP with 1700 miles on the bike, but that's nowhere near the incredible deal you got.
Thanks Ed. I honestly don't know why the stars aligned as they did, though your $2900 price is damned good too (only $250 more than mine). Plus, I like your rear-rack and crash-bars add-on.
I especially like the bonus that it was already ridden through the break-in period by someone who maintains Buddy's for a living. I actually saw those 1700 miles as a good thing over it being brand new, considering how I know how I drive, and that I'd never take it easy as much as you're supposed to.

What I didn't like was the 2-3 scratches/knicks in the paint. Still not sure what to do about those. Was thinking black nailpolish. :)
Radio King

Post by Radio King »

ed85379 wrote:What I didn't like was the 2-3 scratches/knicks in the paint. Still not sure what to do about those. Was thinking black nailpolish. :)
Even better: http://www.epinions.com/content_214492483204 :D
ed85379

Post by ed85379 »

Radio King wrote:
ed85379 wrote:What I didn't like was the 2-3 scratches/knicks in the paint. Still not sure what to do about those. Was thinking black nailpolish. :)
Even better: http://www.epinions.com/content_214492483204 :D
Haha. Except it isn't quite a grill.

Actually, I just did some google searching and came up with these. Anyone out there with any advice on these products and if they'd work well?

Spray:
http://www.amazon.com/Dupli-Color-Trim- ... B0007N56QI

Bottle:
http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/tes/tes280 ... ce=froogle

Bottle (I think it is the same as the one above, but just a single bottle:
http://www.testors.com/products/136997