rear rack??

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ScootLemont

rear rack??

Post by ScootLemont »

Anyone have the scooterworks rear rack on their stella?
"Rear Rack, Wrap Around - P-Series/Stella"

I am looking for a rack to mount my top case on
I am think about the "rigid" one... not the spring loaded one

any suggestions??

Thanks in advance
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

You mean this one, right?

http://www.scooterworks.com/Rear_Rack_W ... 62C386.cfm

I have it and love it. However, with the rear grab rail, I'm not sure how well it would work with a topcase.

I'm really not a fan of a topcase on a Stella to begin with.
Valves are for wussies.
dwayneed

Post by dwayneed »

The rack makes it almost impossible to take the cowls off/put them back on. I actually removed my rack because at the moment I don't really have a use for it. The front wraparound part just sucks and gets in the way of opening the seat, I did not install mine. I went to Lowes and got some chrome plugs for the ends.

Looks nice, solid construction, makes maintenance a hassle. my 2c
maribell

Post by maribell »

I like the wrap around and have not had any problems getting my cowls off. Cowl protectors keep you from getting your cowls off.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

I have a...thing...for chrome. I have both the shiny, pretty, rear rack and the pretty, shiny, cowl protectors. I'm able to remove my cowls with impunity & regularity, because the cowl protectors aren't that hard to move. There's a hand-grip knob by the license plate that is very easy for me & my tiny hands to remove. Lift up the crash bar, et voila, full cowl access.
ModBud #442
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

maribell wrote:I like the wrap around and have not had any problems getting my cowls off. Cowl protectors keep you from getting your cowls off.
Ditto, although after installing the rack, the seat will not stay up. The wrap around bar prevents the seat from opening far enough to stay open on its own.
Valves are for wussies.
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

i have the black wrap around i doubt you will get a top case on it but you can try

you may have to adjust the upper tabs that the springs for your cowel sit on

as for the seat not staying up i dont have an issue with it not staying up you just need to use a bit of finess and wedge the front of the seat up against the rack
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Anachronism wrote:You mean this one, right?
http://www.scooterworks.com/Rear_Rack_W ... 62C386.cfm
I have it and love it. However, with the rear grab rail, I'm not sure how well it would work with a topcase.
I'm really not a fan of a topcase on a Stella to begin with.
Yeah... thats the one - I am not a fan of the top case look either... but I have one because it allows me to use a scooter for work stuff a couple days a week in place of my car (stopping in on 10 or so customers in a day)
I need to carry some stuff - nothing major, but more than would fit in the front compartment on my new stella (whats that called anyway?)
Going from having a top case and the pet carrier to just the front thing (glove box?) on the Stella has been tough this week.

Last edited by ScootLemont on Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

I just searched the gallery for a photo of a Stella with the wrap around rack & did not find any

does the rack have a "tube" that wraps all the way around the front of the seat?

Can anyone share a photo?
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

My Shad SH29 top case only needs about 8" of rack
I didnt think it was going to work on my Rattler rack but it fit perfect
Because the bottom of the base is only about 8", it dosent need any more that that - so more than 8" isnt needed (fill in your own jokes here)
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

so the question becomes... what is the distance from A to B
If it is about 8", I think my top case will fit
My eternal gratitude to whoever puts a tape measure on their rack for me, when they have a chance.
(tape measure on their rack.... again... fill in your own joke here)

maribell

Post by maribell »

It doesn't wrap around the whole front. I will measure and take pics when i get home tonight.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

maribell wrote:It doesn't wrap around the whole front. I will measure and take pics when i get home tonight.
Sounds like we are talking about different rack then, because the rack that is being discussed here (that I have), has a chrome bar that wraps around the entire seat as seen in the pictures.

The rack also bolts in underneath the seat, which reduces the amount of play with the seat latch.

This means two things- First, it means that the seat latch is slightly harder to pop open. Second, the seat does not stay up on its own because the wrap around bar up front does not allow for the seat to open fully.

There is NO interference with the cowls.

I would totally get you some measurements, but my bike is still in the shop after the shop laid it down on a test ride.

And yes, the front compartment is a glovebox.
Valves are for wussies.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

maribell wrote:It doesn't wrap around the whole front. I will measure and take pics when i get home tonight.
THANKS
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

got this email from Anna at scooterworks:

The two best options for rear racks on there if you are installing a top case is going to be the RRC4-C that you mentioned, or the RRG1-C.
http://www.scooterworks.com/Rear_Rack_G ... _P2564.cfm
http://www.scooterworks.com/Rear_Rack_W ... _P2562.cfm
They both will work well, and I honestly think you would be happy with either. The RRC4 has that small grab rail, so the top case will sit a little further back with it, but the RRG1 is a folding rack, so you will have to zip tie it down or something comparable. I see a lot more people using the RRG1, but I think that is mainly because it is the stock Genuine rack, so most dealers have them in stock. And they both have the same installation. I am talking in circles here I know, sorry! Like I said, both will work perfectly well.
Let me know if you decide to order one, we are running a Buy More Save More promotion so I can give you a discount on them!
Thanks & warm regards,
Anna
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

i know its not chrome but i dont like shiney stuff all the time
but this is the black version of the wrap around you see where it comes around the front of the seat
the pia when installing it is getting your helmet hook on and off with out dropping the little nuts and the socket you are using to pull them off

a trick that joel (yvonnes husband the guy who set up your stella) showed me was to put a rare earth magnet in the socket to hold the nut

all in all it is a pretty easy install yvonne was suprised at how fast i did it the day it came in (yes i ordered it from them and installed it at there shop) make sure you disconect the gas guage wire so you dont pinch it when you install the rack

if i get home at a decent time tomorrow ill throw the tape on the rack
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
maribell

Post by maribell »

I measured, and you'll have like 10" worth of space from where the rack stops slanting.
clarkw

Post by clarkw »

I've got the same rack on my Stella and I've mounted my Shad SH33 on it without issue; since yours is a bit smaller, it should be fine.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

get a messenger bag.
Valves are for wussies.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Thanks everyone
I just ordered the wrap around rack and....
Today onlly scoooterworks is doing buy 1 get 1 free ipone oil
Such a deal!
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Anachronism wrote:get a messenger bag.
Yeah.. I like those but a top case works better than a bag for some of my work days
-I go from customer to customer & drop stuff off at each so the top case works great
-I agree that is is not going to be a good look on the Stella (dont really like it on my Rattler for that matter)
-I will be taking it off when not using the scoot for work (luckily they just pop right off when you want them to)

On a side note, when ever I show up to a customers' on a nice day and am not on my scoot, they all ask about it - seems they have come to expect me on it
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Ordered the rack yesterday & received a UPS shipping email & my rack should be here TODAY
Its great to live close to Scooterworks & Anna rocks!
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

I think you will like the rack.

You may not like how your bike looks with a topcase, though.

Get a milkcrate instead. :)
Valves are for wussies.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Anachronism wrote:I think you will like the rack.
You may not like how your bike looks with a topcase, though.
Get a milkcrate instead. :)
Yeah... I dont think I will like the top case look but thats why I am glad it comes off so easy - it will only be on the scoot when I need it for work stuff.

A milkcrate would look cooler, but I need something enclosed as I am hauling papers for work & they can be blowing around.

Maybe one of those roll bags for Xmas if the large one is big enough
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

First of all... installing the back 1/2 of the rack could not be easier
the front part using the screws from the shopping bag hook & the little metal plate in there? Through the 2" hole? Are you kidding me?
Anyway... I could not come up with the little magnets that fit inside sockets (I know they exist - my dad had a set - couldn't find his, Sears didn't have them, auto parts store didn't have them) so I used chewing gum inside the socket. It worked surprisingly well.

I really dont mind the look of the top case - i know its a modern case on a vintage style scooter... but I like how the black of the seat lines up with the black of the top case.
Bottom line is it comes off in 2 seconds & only leaves the mounting plate.
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

It's really cute how clean and shiny that Stella is.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

thanks lmyers - I will see if I can dirty it up a little this weekend
Its been sunny & in the 70's all week here (82 today) - best weather of the year & no chance to get it dirty
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Anachronism wrote:Ditto, although after installing the rack, the seat will not stay up. The wrap around bar prevents the seat from opening far enough to stay open on its own.
My seat stays up but the front bottom edge of the seat does rub against the tube that goes around the front of the seat - not a problem... but I could see that if the rack was 1/2" forward, it might stop the seat from staying open
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Looked at Menards & Home Depot & they had no clue about the socket magnets
But.... Amazon has them $13
& I will be ordering a set with my next amazon order.... because next time I need one....

ScootLemont wrote:First of all... installing the back 1/2 of the rack could not be easier
the front part using the screws from the shopping bag hook & the little metal plate in there? Through the 2" hole? Are you kidding me?
Anyway... I could not come up with the little magnets that fit inside sockets (I know they exist - my dad had a set - couldn't find his, Sears didn't have them, auto parts store didn't have them) so I used chewing gum inside the socket. It worked surprisingly well.
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

i have a couple of cheap "rare earth" magnets that i got at harbor freight that i throm inside the socket
the down side is you have to make sure the ball works good on the socket as i have had the socket stay attached to the work piece using them

http://www.harborfreight.com/10-piece-r ... 67488.html
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
despurvoa

Post by despurvoa »

I actually just like the back part of the rack. I thought about finding something to plug up the two holes.
On a side note, The seat seems like it's NEVER going to pop up! I think that extra bit of space removed by attaching the rack makes clearing the seat knob more difficult. 'Could just be me!
Anyway, I love me some chrome!!!! :D
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

despurvoa wrote:I actually just like the back part of the rack. I thought about finding something to plug up the two holes.
On a side note, The seat seems like it's NEVER going to pop up! I think that extra bit of space removed by attaching the rack makes clearing the seat knob more difficult. 'Could just be me!
Anyway, I love me some chrome!!!! :D
Push the seat down a little bit as you push the release button. Eventually you will get used to where/how you need to push to get the seat to reliably release.
Valves are for wussies.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

ScootLemont wrote: Image

Definitely one of the best looking Red Stellas I have seen. That thing looks great.

Still not a fan of the topcase, though.
Valves are for wussies.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Anachronism wrote: Still not a fan of the topcase, though.
yeah... me either but it works for what I need to carry for work & that allows me to ride more.
When I am not riding for work the topcase has been in the garage & not on the scoot.
The other day (yesterday?) the scooterworks deal of the day was their cargo basket for only $34
http://www.scooterworks.com/Rear-Cargo- ... P5536.aspx

I came pretty close to buying one as I think that matches the vintage look better than the top case.... but I still need to leave my wife something to buy me for my birthday, anniversary, xmas, etc.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

On a related follow up....
I finally got tired of the look of the top case & put on a SX Roll Bag
The Shad top case was more practical but I really like the way the roll bag looks

Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Looks great! Really matches the style and lines of the Stella.
Scalpel

Post by Scalpel »

Hey, that's the same rack I installed on my 4 stroke! It's a great rack, and those long side bars that wrap around the seat provide a great rail for bungies or Rok Straps when transporting stuff on the passenger section of the seat.
Author of <a href="http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthre ... 10921">The International Donut Debacle</A>