New Scooter...er..(I think) On The Market

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

pcbikedude

New Scooter...er..(I think) On The Market

Post by pcbikedude »

Check these out. They are classified as scooters at 150ccs but look like...well??

http://www.californiascooterco.com/index.html I'll add the pics a little later.
The scenery only changes for the lead scooterist.
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

A friend of mine was riding one at Amerivespa. Really cute, but I'll stick with what I have.
TVB

Post by TVB »

They look like undernourished motorcycles to me. :) Not that there's anything wrong with that; I can see the appeal of a lightweight motorcycle.

It seems bit odd to put so much emphasis on "Scooter" in the name instead of "California", when a) they're not really "scooters" by most people's definition, and b) I'd think the fact that they're made in California (rather than Asia) would be a bigger selling point.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

I would like having a 3 gallon fuel tank. The black one looks like a "chopped" Blackjack.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

I saw these at the Motorcycle Show in NYC this January. I asked the rep why they use the word "scooter" in their name brand, and she said that low-sitting motorcycles have been called scooters since before there were...scooters. Anyone who knows more about motorcycle history care to corroborate / elaborate?

I will say that it was really cool to be able to sit on a motorcycle and flat foot the ground. I have really short legs, and I could barely climb up on most of the motorcycles showing at the event. But yeah, I don't want a motorcycle.
ModBud #442
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Hrmm... I think the term is "bobber" not "scooter".

My main source of research (at least with the amount of effort I'm willing to research this particular concept), the "Internet", shows only step-throughs and mobility chairs (with a plethora of options, whistles and bells) and ways of mounting either version to the back of an RV.

I have seen where some motorcyclists refer affectionately to their bikes as "scoots" or "scooters" but there's no link to that and being low-slung.

These things are definitely styled after bobbers. I'm curious about how much is actually made in America or if they import them from Mystery Country X and assemble them in the States.

They should call them mini-bobbers, or bobettes (ooh, actually - not that last one, too emasculating)... but I think they thought the name over pretty carefully to get their products seen by people looking to get a new "scooter".
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

And for only $5k!! :?

Interesting looking but, yeah, why not just get a small mc then?
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

yeah, these are definitely motorcycles. I think they are trying to market them as scooters cause people who've never riden see scooters as less threatening. They would also have a hard time marketing 150cc morotcycles to super macho guys in the U.S.A, hell even scooter folk in the U.S. can get c.c. crazy :lol: They are kinda cool though, and if they're really made (truely made) in the U.S. then they arn't badly priced either. Although I highly doubt that they are actually made here.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

It seems they are made in CA:
California Scooter Co website wrote: California Scooter Co. LLC is a California-based business under its parent company, Pro-One Performance Manufacturing, Inc. Steve Seidner, founder of Pro-One, has been a leader in design and innovation of motorcycles and motorcycle accessories since 1989.

Steve’s 35-plus years experience began in his teens working for his father at Bert’s Motorcycles in Azusa, California. He started out in the service department as a helper, and then moved on to assemble and prepare motorcycles for the showroom floor. Learning every aspect of the motorcycle industry, and possessing a natural artistic talent, Steve eventually went on to develop, design, and build his line of world-class motorcycles.

Already known for bikes built with stylistic beauty and uncompromising standards, Steve now brings to the marketplace a new line of scooters. Inspired by the Mustang motorcycle built in Glendale, California in the 1940s, 50s, and early 60s, the California Scooter Company brings to the 21st century the California Classic, Greaser, and Babydoll, all with the same spirit and quality as his big bikes.

Quality is the one word that sums up California Scooter Co. We are committed to providing quality products and excellent service for our customers. Each and every California Scooter is built here at our factory in La Verne, California and is personally inspected by one of our own master builders before leaving our facility.

It is our hope that each and every California Scooter not only meets the expectations of you, the scooter rider, but also exceeds your dreams of owning the best looking scooter and enjoying the greatest ride of your life!
That is a good price for something made here. I'd still rather an old small mc though!
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

The only thing from the Japanese is this size is the Kawasaki Eliminator at 125cc's.

But these "scooters" seem a bit over-priced. You can buy a 250cc Honda Rebel for about the same price.
mattgordon

Post by mattgordon »

pcbikedude wrote:The only thing from the Japanese is this size is the Kawasaki Eliminator at 125cc's.

But these "scooters" seem a bit over-priced. You can buy a 250cc Honda Rebel for about the same price.
5K for this thing is being very optmistic. I bought a brand new Suzuki DR650SE for 5495.-- OTD. It's a buyer's market...there are some VERY good deal out there on a variety of cycles.
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

Arlene from GoGo Gear just got one of these and she is over the moon with it. She got the tank custom painted with the GoGo Gear logo and she is so stoked by the whole thing that it kills her not to ride it when she's away on business. Different strokes, I guess... but it's perfect for her and that's really all that matters.

Just like the Blur is perfect for me and some other discerning consumers on this site :twisted:
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
TVB

Post by TVB »

pcbikedude wrote:But these "scooters" seem a bit over-priced. You can buy a 250cc Honda Rebel for about the same price.
But then you have, what... a generic-looking motorcycle. Not as responsive to maneuver. Poorer gas mileage. I'm not saying this is a "better" bike, but for the right customer I can certainly see why it'd be more appealing. The "most" bike isn't always the "best" bike.
Mr Miller

Post by Mr Miller »

I think they are really cool looking:) I love the black jack looking one, probably over priced though. I didn't look too much at their site, I wonder what a 6' tall guy looks like on one??
• 171.3cc NCY Big Bore kit
& bunch of other stuff...

http://www.facebook.com/inerseshen for graphic design, advertising, signs, decals...
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

It seems like they're trying to appeal to a certain clientele. Using California as the label always scores some points because, let's face it, many people wish they had a little more Cali in them. And it's less ballsy then a true motorcycle, which some people are intimidated by. Whatever floats your boat, at least it's more scooters and less cars.
jasondavis48108

TVB wrote:
pcbikedude wrote:But these "scooters" seem a bit over-priced. You can buy a 250cc Honda Rebel for about the same price.
But then you have, what... a generic-looking motorcycle. Not as responsive to maneuver. Poorer gas mileage. I'm not saying this is a "better" bike, but for the right customer I can certainly see why it'd be more appealing. The "most" bike isn't always the "best" bike.
I have to say I love small bikes, in fact thats partly what attracted me to scooters in the 1st place. Something about giving the whole manly gotta have 2000cc between my legs to compensate for who knows what just doesn't appeal to me. Not to say some of the large bikes arn't very cool, just not for me at all. If this bike is really made from the ground up in the USA and its solid then I think the price isn't too bad. I'd pay 5k for a mechanically solid 150cc motorbike or scooter (hell thats about what I paid for the sh150 and its not nearly as sexy). hell if Harley would start producing the Topper again I might go higher just to keep my loot in my own country. The only issue I could see is that there are a lot of junk bikes that look very similar to what they are selling. The junk bikes are way cheaper so that would hurt thier business and worse these bikes may get lumped together with those junk bikes. Hell, they may be the same junk bikes just assembled in the USA I have no idea. I guess thats the problem with being a start up like this. You have a lot to prove before folks want to sink that kind of money into your product.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
GoGoGear

California Scooter Company "scooter"

Post by GoGoGear »

Hi everyone, Arlene here from GoGoGear! And happy 4th of July! Just wanted to offer up my thoughts since I just got my California Scooter Company bike last Friday. I absolutely LOVE my bike! For me, as someone who's not very big and physically capable of handling a larger bike, this is the perfect bike for me. It sits very low to the ground with a seat height of about 28 inches and I feel much more confident on this bike than on other bikes that sit higher, including my scooter.

I love how comfortable the ride is and am going to be making a 700 mile journey (one way) on it down the Baja pennisular in September. I am hoping to do the Cannonball Run next year on it.

I opted for a windshield because it allows the bike an additional 5-8mph (top speed in the 60s). I also got synthetic saddlebags for storing things.

I had extra chrome added to the wheels and had a custom paint job done to put our GoGoGear logo on the tank. (you can see photos of the bike at http://www.scooterdiva.com/forum/viewto ... 20&p=56165 scroll to the middle of the page).

As for the cost of the bike, I had a lot of people recommending different bikes to me and referring to the price and what I could get for the same amount of money and even steering me away from this bike because of the price, but the issue was, there was no other bike that offered me the same confidence I had when I was on it. I have spent years trying to erase a pretty ugly memory of dropping a bike that was too big for me and this little bike has enabled me to approach riding again with confidence and joy. So for me, that was worth every penny.

So when all is said and done, I got the perfect bike for me (her name is "CoCo Chanel"). It may not have the same effect on other people but for me, the pleasure I get from riding it AND the fact that people look at me a lot and smile, well... the experience is, as they say on that commercial, "priceless" and it just makes me really happy.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Harley guys have called their bikes "scooters" for ages, though I couldn't say if it predates the Doodle Bug, Salisbury, or Vespa. Back in the mid-90s when I got mixed up in scootering, you'd see/hear it a lot more, but maybe it's become less common now that 'real' scooters are popular in America again.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
lmyers

Re: California Scooter Company "scooter"

Post by lmyers »

GoGoGear wrote: ...AND the fact that people look at me a lot and smile, well...
I hate to break it to you, Arlene, but people don't look at you and smile because of your undoubtedly cute ride. It's because you're Arlene and you're awesome anyway.
GoGoGear

Post by GoGoGear »

Oh my goodness Stella Red in Tulsa! That was such a lovely thing to say! Thank you!!! Wow! You just made my 4th of July!!!
BootScootin'FireFighter

GoGoGear wrote:I love how comfortable the ride is and am going to be making a 700 mile journey (one way) on it down the Baja pennisular in September. I am hoping to do the Cannonball Run next year on it.
It's definately a sweet looking bike, whatever it classifies as. That ride down Baja sounds awesome! Please keep us posted with photos and updates from Cabo Wabo.
GoGoGear

Post by GoGoGear »

Hi Mothership in Arlington! Will definitely be posting pics and blog through journey! Trip itinerary looks pretty great so really looking forward to it! Plus you don't have to have a California Scooter to be a part of the ride so all are welcome!!! More to come!!!
Keys

Post by Keys »

I discovered these California Scooters months ago and have lusted since. And for nearly the same price as a Vespa 150, I'd rather have the California Scooter.

Now to win the lottery so I can get one....

--Keys
"Life without music would Bb"
joeybee

Post by joeybee »

Hello, Joe from California Scooter here. Interesting comments above.

Arlene's bike is one of the nicest we've done, and with the site's permission, I'll post some photos of it...

We do corporate customs from time to time...here's another one showing the bike we did for an In-N-Out charity event...

Regarding the price, we recognize that there are a lot of other scooters out there that sell for the same or less than our bike. We're not attempting to compete on price. Our company also does $50K performance V-twins (think Orange County Chopper) and the same level of workmanship, paint, and billet touches on those bikes are also in the California Scooters. We actually sell very few bikes for $4995; most are optioned up into the $6K to $8500 range.

I've ridden big bikes most of my life, and right now, I've got a Triumph Tiger and a KLR 650 sitting in my garage wondering why their owner puts all of his miles on that new red Classic. The reason: It's more fun, basically. The bikes are a hoot to ride. This one is mine...the only options on it are a rack, the saddlebags, and a windshield.

I write the blog for California Scooter, and if you'd like, feel free to contact me (jberk@CaliforniaScooterCo.com) for answers to any questions. Our factory is in La Verne, California (about 25 miles east of Los Angeles); stop by for a factory tour and a test ride any time.
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

back in the day of the mustang it was billed as a scoot because of its small tire size
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

I rode with Arlene and her GoGo Gear bike just the other day. I gotta say, that bike is sweet. Fits her perfectly too. And talk about getting looks, it sure is an attention getter. I've seen a few other CA Scooter Co. bikes at MC shows and at NoHo Scooters. Sure appears to be a top quality product. The fit and finish are exceptional.

(Gotta say, the In 'n' Out bike is sick! Nice job!)

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
BootScootin'FireFighter

GoGoGear wrote:Hi Mothership in Arlington! Will definitely be posting pics and blog through journey! Trip itinerary looks pretty great so really looking forward to it! Plus you don't have to have a California Scooter to be a part of the ride so all are welcome!!! More to come!!!
I'd love to!, however just getting to the border crossing itself would be more than an adventure for me, 2700 miles 1 way.
Mr Miller

Post by Mr Miller »

Thank you Joe for posting. It was great to hear about your bikes and see the photos. The passion you show for you product is obvious and that is always a great thing to see:)
Also I completely understand the fun factor of smaller bikes. I traded in a 650cc sport bike to get my Black Jack and it was a great decision. I have had far more fun, and have used my buddy much more than I ever did with that bigger bike.
Last edited by Mr Miller on Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
• 171.3cc NCY Big Bore kit
& bunch of other stuff...

http://www.facebook.com/inerseshen for graphic design, advertising, signs, decals...
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

joeybee wrote:Hello, Joe from California Scooter here.I write the blog for California Scooter, and if you'd like, feel free to contact me (jberk@CaliforniaScooterCo.com) for answers to any questions. Our factory is in La Verne, California (about 25 miles east of Los Angeles); stop by for a factory tour and a test ride any time.
Joe thanks for the pictures and clearing up some questions that were raised.

I noticed you received CARB approval this past week. Congrats. That's how I got a little curious about your products.

My travels don't take me up to LA very often (I'm in the San Diego area) or else I would take you up on your test ride offer. Do you have any dealerships planned for down here?
joeybee

Post by joeybee »

PCBD:

Our newest dealer (Continental Motors) is in Oceanside just a few miles north of you, and we are delivering several bikes to them in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks for your congratulations on passing the CARB requirements. We found the California Air Resources Board people to be most helpful and we felt they wanted to see us succeed. Their techs, engineers, and managers are good people.

Here's a cool shot of Bill Murar running in the Lake Erie Loop race a couple of weeks ago...he finished fourth in this one-day endurance run around the periphery of Lake Erie...654 miles in 1 day on a 150cc California Scooter!

And here's one of our latest custom, the Sarge, at the LA Roadster show two weekends ago...

pcbikedude wrote:
joeybee wrote:Hello, Joe from California Scooter here.I write the blog for California Scooter, and if you'd like, feel free to contact me (jberk@CaliforniaScooterCo.com) for answers to any questions. Our factory is in La Verne, California (about 25 miles east of Los Angeles); stop by for a factory tour and a test ride any time.
Joe thanks for the pictures and clearing up some questions that were raised.

I noticed you received CARB approval this past week. Congrats. That's how I got a little curious about your products.

My travels don't take me up to LA very often (I'm in the San Diego area) or else I would take you up on your test ride offer. Do you have any dealerships planned for down here?
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Me Like/WANT...... :D
joeybee wrote: the Sarge, Image

jasondavis48108

joeybee wrote: Image
BADASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG! and its American made! all this bad boy needs is a sidecar and it would be my dream rig :D
joeybee

Post by joeybee »

A sidecar is in the works...we have Doug Bingham (aka "Mr. Sidecar") working with us on this. Watch the California Scooter blog; we're 2 to 3 months out from having a sidecar version available. Doug Bingham is an awesome guy...he does all the sidecar builds and stunt work for the motion picture industry. You've seen him in the Indiana Jones movies, The Great Escape, and other movies.

jasondavis48108 wrote:
joeybee wrote: Image
BADASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG! and its American made! all this bad boy needs is a sidecar and it would be my dream rig :D
jasondavis48108

I think seeing Indiana Jones at an impressionable age is why I want a sidecar so bad :lol:

Thats really good to hear. I'll be interested to see how it turns out and hear folks impressions of it.

btw, I think its really awesome what your doing. We need more small displacement American made bikes out there. :D

Now if we could only get an American made scooter, and no offense to your awesome motorbikes, but here I'm refering to a scooter proper. :)
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

joeybee wrote:Hello, Joe from California Scooter here.
We do corporate customs from time to time...here's another one showing the bike we did for an In-N-Out charity event...

Mmmmmmm, In-N-Out Burger. Oh how I miss them. Crazy John 3:16 under the cup bottoms. Always freaked me out. But the fries (and I don't usually eat fries). In-N-Out was my first drive-through order ever in my Karmann Ghia. Ahh, the memories. The burgers. The grad school angst.
joeybee

Post by joeybee »

jasondavis48108 wrote:btw, I think its really awesome what your doing. We need more small displacement American made bikes out there. Now if we could only get an American made scooter, and no offense to your awesome motorbikes, but here I'm refering to a scooter proper. :)
Keep an eye on our blog, Jason...
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

KABarash wrote:Me Like/WANT...... :D

Back in the early 1960s, I was working as a volunteer track official at Sports Car Club of America New England Region races. I happened to be wearing my Army field jacket with my SSGT stripes one chilly morning when another worker approached me and asked, "Are you a real sergeant?" I replied in the affirmative. He said, "Well I always wanted to say this..."F... you, Sarge!" And, God help me, that was my nickname in SCCA for years afterward. Gotta get that bike!
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

You gotta love it. I enjoy people who are visionaries who love their craft.

Very similar ideas that go into the Buddys. Genuine takes a stock PGO scooter and changes them into some eye catching colors and designs. Then magic happens.

I look forward to seeing my first Calif. Scooter on the road. I'll give the person a wave.

I may have to ride up to Oceanside soon to check one out.
Keys

Post by Keys »

joeybee wrote:Keep an eye on our blog, Jason...
...you KNOW I will!

--Keys
"Life without music would Bb"
jasondavis48108

joeybee wrote:
jasondavis48108 wrote:btw, I think its really awesome what your doing. We need more small displacement American made bikes out there. Now if we could only get an American made scooter, and no offense to your awesome motorbikes, but here I'm refering to a scooter proper. :)
Keep an eye on our blog, Jason...
absolutely :D
brape

Post by brape »

This thread is evil. Now I have to add another option to my list of "happy done with school" present to myself. Not that "done with school" is going to happen any time soon.
jasondavis48108

brape wrote:This thread is evil. Now I have to add another option to my list of "happy done with school" present to myself. Not that "done with school" is going to happen any time soon.
I know the never ending school feeling. What degree are you working on? btw I justified my sh150 as my I finally finished my matsers degree present to myself :lol:
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

jasondavis48108 wrote:
brape wrote:This thread is evil. Now I have to add another option to my list of "happy done with school" present to myself. Not that "done with school" is going to happen any time soon.
I know the never ending school feeling. What degree are you working on? btw I justified my sh150 as my I finally finished my matsers degree present to myself :lol:
Dang, I thought I was the only one who gave herself a scooter as a YAY FU GRAD SCHOOL! present. :D

PS -- here's the link to the CSC blog: http://californiascooterco.com/blog/ I'll be following along, too! I'm still more into scooters than motorcycles, but like I said before, I dig these the most.
ModBud #442
jasondavis48108

polianarchy wrote:
jasondavis48108 wrote:
Dang, I thought I was the only one who gave herself a scooter as a YAY FU GRAD SCHOOL! present. :D

PS -- here's the link to the CSC blog: http://californiascooterco.com/blog/ I'll be following along, too! I'm still more into scooters than motorcycles, but like I said before, I dig these the most.
thanx for the link :) I added it to my favorites. I too have to say that my 1st love will always be scooters but I'd certainly consider a motorbike like this if I were to get a motorbike. I've always hated the ginormous bikes.
brape

Post by brape »

jasondavis48108 wrote:I know the never ending school feeling. What degree are you working on? btw I justified my sh150 as my I finally finished my masters degree present to myself :lol:
I'm just dong a post bac. teacher certification program. However what I'm getting certified in is not what I have a degree in so I have had to do substantial undergrad work. I have also only been doing 1 or 2 classes a semester while working full time. If all goes according to plan I should have a good chunk of my masters out of the way when I get certified.
beeporama

Post by beeporama »

Yeah, the price is high, but I think one has to expect to pay a premium for American made. We just can't legally do labor as cheap.

The one misstep I see it the lack of an automatic transmission model. If the target market is meant to be people intimidated by larger bikes, and since a 150cc could see much more city than highway riding, an auto would probably be less intimidating for new riders. It's easy to be a backseat engineer though. :)

Those are definitely very appealing though.
jasondavis48108

brape wrote:
jasondavis48108 wrote:I know the never ending school feeling. What degree are you working on? btw I justified my sh150 as my I finally finished my masters degree present to myself :lol:
I'm just dong a post bac. teacher certification program. However what I'm getting certified in is not what I have a degree in so I have had to do substantial undergrad work. I have also only been doing 1 or 2 classes a semester while working full time. If all goes according to plan I should have a good chunk of my masters out of the way when I get certified.
awesome, I teach math at a local community college but I'm certified to teach math and art at the secondary level here in Michigan. Teaching is a blast and well worth all of the BS hoops they make you jump through in Ed School :lol:
Vic

Post by Vic »

Oh, I love the pink one....

Are they shifters or automatic? A quick look at the site and it talks about foot controls...?

It looks like a baby motorcycle, I am not convinced about the idea of calling it a scooter.

Some of the pics of larger men on them look like a bear riding a bicycle, I am not sure about that as a look I would be going after.

-v
jasondavis48108

Vic wrote: Some of the pics of larger men on them look like a bear riding a bicycle, I am not sure about that as a look I would be going after.

-v
Thats what I look like riding on my Buddy :lol:
brape

Post by brape »

jasondavis48108 wrote:awesome, I teach math at a local community college but I'm certified to teach math and art at the secondary level here in Michigan. Teaching is a blast and well worth all of the BS hoops they make you jump through in Ed School :lol:
I'm going to be certified in secondary math too. My BS is in broadcasting... useless degree if you ever want to make enough money to retire.